2012-2013 East Tennessee State (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone. Just wanted to let you know that I officially removed myself from the pool of accepted applicants this afternoon after deciding UT-Memphis was a better fit.

Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Painfully withdrew my acceptance today. Its an AMAZING school. I just had another opportunity closer to where I live which is better for my family. I hope one of you out there gets the spot.

Thanks guys! Anybody know if there is any way to find out where we are on that 90 person waitlist? I just want to know if I have a chance. And why have they stopped updating the entering class statistics site?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Anybody know if there is any way to find out where we are on that 90 person waitlist? I just want to know if I have a chance. And why have they stopped updating the entering class statistics site?
They will never tell you your actual rank on the list. However, if you ask as the end of the cycle nears (late May/Early to mid June), Dean Taylor will tell you whether or not you're "within striking distance" so as to help you gauge whether or not it's a good idea to reapply.

No, they haven't stopped updating the site yet. They usually don't stop until July.

:luck:

Stat list updated.. Looks like a long hold/wait list (103 in state)

2013 Entering Class Statistics as of 04/16/13
Application Status
In-State Out of State Total
Applications Received 609 1386 1995
Applications Terminated/Withdrawn 432 1377 1809
Applications In Process 0 0 0
Interviews completed to date 235 22 257
On Hold for Further Consideration 103 11 114
Acceptances Offered to Date 75 5 80
Current Accepted 68 4 72
Incoming Class Average GPA
BCPM 3.67
All Other 3.81
Total 3.74

Incoming Class Average MCAT
Verbal Reasoning 10.0
Physical Sciences 9.6
Biological Sciences 10.1
Writing Sample O

2012 Entering Class Statistics as of 07/11/12
Application Status
In-State Out of State Total
Applications Received 595 1334 1929
Applications Terminated/Withdrawn 470 1322 1792
Applications In Process 0 0 0
Interviews completed to date 200 62 262
On Hold for Further Consideration 0 0 0
Acceptances Offered to Date 95 16 111
Current Accepted 68 4 72
Incoming Class Average GPA
BCPM 3.66
All Other 3.74
Total 3.69

Incoming Class Average MCAT
Verbal Reasoning 9.2
Physical Sciences 9.3
Biological Sciences 9.8
Writing Sample O

http://www.etsu.edu/com/sa/admissions/collegeinfo/statistics.aspx

Interesting that they interviewed 35 more IS applicants, but 40 less OOS applicants this year.

Last edited:
Have any of you been accepted to both UT and ETSU? If so, how are you deciding between the two? I feel like I would like ETSU better the first two years, but UT better for M3 and M4. I like that UT allows you do do your second two years split up between Memphis, Chattanooga, and Knoxville. I have heard that UT is having some issues with its new curriculum though. Any thoughts?

Would love to hear thoughts on this.

ETSU stinks you should definitely go elsewhere! Haha jk. I'm currently waitlisted at ETSU and am hoping a few spots open up there. Both schools are great. Memphis apparently has more involved and crazy clinical rotations, while ETSU is better if you are interested in primary care. I'd say go to Memphis if you want to specialize and do surgery, or go to ETSU if primary is your thing. That said, I know you can excel in any area from either school, that is just their stigmas.

Has anyone made it off of the waitlist recently?

Hey everyone, I have been on the waitlist since November and just got a call today offering me an acceptance so the wait list is starting to move. I am currently accepted at UT Memphis and Quillen so I will have to make a decision by next week on what I am going to do.

Just got the acceptance call today from Stephanie Cole. So blessed and excited!!!

I have been accepted to Quillen for almost 2 months now, but also got accepted to UTHSC yesterday. I am very torn between these two very different schools. Any advice? I have interests in Emergency and internal medicine.

Hey, I have decided to take the ETSU offer I got. The way I looked at it is that most med schools are pretty similar in what they teach. Most of the trauma and difficult procedures are learned in residency. However, ETSU is smaller, in a safer city and (since I'm from Knoxville) closer to home. I am also interested in either emergency medicine or family medicine. Good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. Torn between the two schools. PM me if you want. I want to hear what you're thinking.

Keep in mind the cost of the schools. It is much cheaper to live in Johnson City than Memphis. I just finished my first year at Quillen and if you need me to answer and questions PM me.

I am from Memphis so the extra cost wouldn't make that much of a difference to me.

Does anyone have any advice on housing for Quillen. It would be awesome if there were some places that were in walking distance of the school. Also, what's the best ways to go about findings roommates, especially this late.

I'm hoping to rent a bedroom out to an incoming student (I'm going into 3rd year), and I live walking distance!!

And aside from that shameless plug, it's definitely not too late. There are plenty of *legit* ads on the TriCities Craigslist, and lots of housing near campus that are affordable & available... If you can make a trip here to drive around, you'll see a lot of signs posted, while instantly seeing whether you like the location or not. And 'for sale' doesn't necessarily mean they're averse to renting instead or vice versa.

Hope that helps, PM if you have some more questions!

Edit: also scroll down your class Facebook wall!

Last edited:
Congratulations! When did you interview?

Interviewed November 20 with David Chi and Elizabeth Hughes.

Placed on the hold list in January.

Accepted of the wait list may 20th!

Interviewed November 20 with David Chi and Elizabeth Hughes.

Placed on the hold list in January.

Accepted of the wait list may 20th!

That's awesome, thanks for the info! There may be hope for me yet.

Congrats to those recently accepted! Look forward to meeting you all if you choose to attend Quillen. :thumbup:

I can't believe I am just now hearing about this site! For those of you who are trying to decide between ut and etsu, I was hoping to give an unbiased perspective. Luckily I got into my top choice, but if I hadn't it would have probably come down to etsu or ut. Both are very good schools, and having interviewed at both last year and having multiple friends at each, I would say that etsu has a slight edge over ut. Simply because I get the general feel that etsu has a nicer campus, much nicer city, and the students seemed more friendly overall. Also for those who think they may end up wanting to do surgery it really doesn't matter what school you go to. As long as you ace your classes and boards you can match into surgery from anywhere. Again you really can't go wrong with either but I would give etsu a slight edge just from my personal and friends' experience.

I can't believe I am just now hearing about this site! For those of you who are trying to decide between ut and etsu, I was hoping to give an unbiased perspective. Luckily I got into my top choice, but if I hadn't it would have probably come down to etsu or ut. Both are very good schools, and having interviewed at both last year and having multiple friends at each, I would say that etsu has a slight edge over ut. Simply because I get the general feel that etsu has a nicer campus, much nicer city, and the students seemed more friendly overall. Also for those who think they may end up wanting to do surgery it really doesn't matter what school you go to. As long as you ace your classes and boards you can match into surgery from anywhere. Again you really can't go wrong with either but I would give etsu a slight edge just from my personal and friends' experience.
I loved ETSU, but would disagree and say that you do indeed have an edge at UT for surgery and emergency medicine due to its suturing program, intensive and autonomous rotations, high throughput ER, and variety of cases. The trauma bays are so busy that med students are frequently charged with inserting chest tubes, catheters, and suturing, et cetera, out of pure necessity. The more you learn, the more you're trusted to do. Med students at UT are notorious for entering residency with well above average clinical skills and clinical knowledge. Many IM Chief Residents at Vandy came from UT.

While it's true you can match anywhere with good grades, a good step score, and good recommendations, it will make your transition into residency as an intern much easier if you hit the ground running and have a wider array of experience doing the basics. I'd say UT clearly offers more exposure to trauma. And for those interested in anything academic or any subspecialties, UT will provide you with more exposure to the Zebras (exotic cases) germane to academia and inner/large city care.

That said, while ETSU is CLEARLY the winner for any type of primary care (e.g., Family Med, OBGYN) or rural care, you can still match anywhere with those good scores/recs. An ETSU student matched to FSU's Neurosurgery program just two years ago. So if you feel more comfortable at ETSU, there's your edge. Plus, ETSU also gives its students great autonomy during rotations compared to larger schools at academic medical centers (i.e., Vandy students here and UCLA students in Cali complain that they often get scut work and babysit rather than substantively contribute to care while residents and attendings do ALL the work). So you're still going to be above average entering residency from ETSU.

Feel free to PM me any questions if you're torn between the two. I've already given my opinions to several students accepted to both schools and don't mind elaborating for anyone else seeking advice.

Good luck to all those on the WL. I was there last year and know how it feels. Hang in there. :luck:

Does anyone have any advice on housing for Quillen. It would be awesome if there were some places that were in walking distance of the school. Also, what's the best ways to go about findings roommates, especially this late.
I got a place at Pleasant View Estates. It's about 5 - 10 minutes from campus and apparently a ton of med and pharm students live there.

ETSUs communication, or lack there of, is really disheartening. For that reason I've decided on UT. Good luck to everyone. Hope the wait list works out, and may the percentages be ever in your favor. To reintegrate the above if someone had there choices between the two it seems that ETSU is better suited, but not limited to, rural, primary care. UT is more advanced disease states and better equipped for some specializations, but less of a primary care place. Absolutely no "Berlin walls" though.

Weren't financial aid packages supposed to go out this week? I was told they were meeting last week and would be sending everyone's package out shortly thereafter... has anyone gotten anything yet?

SO excited to be headed into June. July is right around the corner-- let the countdown begin! :)

Weren't financial aid packages supposed to go out this week? I was told they were meeting last week and would be sending everyone's package out shortly thereafter... has anyone gotten anything yet?

SO excited to be headed into June. July is right around the corner-- let the countdown begin! :)

I was thinking they would probably be sent out next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.