2022-2023 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looking back at last year, it looks like they started releasing decisions around Dec 16th. Wouldn't be surprised if we have at least a week before we hear unfortunately :/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The 'Entering Class Statistics' page says it was updated 12/8 (today). Does that mean acceptances went out today?

So I personally have not heard anything. However, they do seem to have accepted more students because last I checked the admitted number was 39. So either people have received A's and just not posted or they just haven't updated people as to whether they're in or not yet. Spooky o_O

I talked to someone in admissions and they said on the 15th/16th we should have a decision.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Any idea when waitlist movement may happen?

I know they usually start calling people around 8 - any news so far today?

I know they usually start calling people around 8 - any news so far today?
The way I’ve interpreted the info is that the committee meets every other Thursday and people get called on Friday morning? Anything could happen tho ig

Members don't see this ad :)
Active hold is what they put everyone on while they wait to interview more people. It is basically just a notification that you're still in the running from what I was told. They come out with the waitlist once they fill all their seats in the early part of next year. I was also placed on active hold a while ago and all the med students from ETSU I've spoken to have told me they were too.

Nothing for me either way, so I'm gonna assume I'll be in suspense until the New Year. Happy holidays y'all! Take a much-needed break from the stress of SDN lol.

Does anyone know if the active hold means that your application will be reviewed every adcom meeting or just whenever there is waitlist movement?

Does anyone know if the active hold means that your application will be reviewed every adcom meeting or just whenever there is waitlist movement?

Active hold is what they put everyone on while they wait to interview more people. It is basically just a notification that you're still in the running from what I was told. They come out with the waitlist once they fill all their seats in the early part of next year. I was also placed on active hold a while ago and all the med students from ETSU I've spoken to have told me they were too.

I'm fairly certain they review the active holds frequently at meetings, but I could be wrong. That's just the impression I got from the people I've talked to.

I'm fairly certain they review the active holds frequently at meetings, but I could be wrong. That's just the impression I got from the people I've talked to.
With that, would a Letter of Intent be favorable if they are reviewing every so often especially if it is truly my top choice or just look desperate?

With that, would a Letter of Intent be favorable if they are reviewing every so often especially if it is truly my top choice or just look desperate?

You can if you want to. I was advised by some of my mentors that it's better to wait until you have an acceptance from another school beforehand. That way you can show that even though you are accepted to other schools, you really want to go to X school instead (in this case, ETSU) and would choose to go there if accepted. Hopefully that makes sense? I mean at the end of the day it's your call but that's just what I was told.

You can if you want to. I was advised by some of my mentors that it's better to wait until you have an acceptance from another school beforehand. That way you can show that even though you are accepted to other schools, you really want to go to X school instead (in this case, ETSU) and would choose to go there if accepted. Hopefully that makes sense? I mean at the end of the day it's your call but that's just what I was told.
So I have been accepted at other places, but ETSU is my top choice. Is that something you would explicitly mention in a letter of intent or is this information they have?

So I have been accepted at other places, but ETSU is my top choice. Is that something you would explicitly mention in a letter of intent or is this information they have?

I think you can mention that you were accepted somewhere else, but that you are really passionate about wanting to go to ETSU and would choose them over this other school. I don't think you necessarily have to mention the name of the other school you were accepted to though.

• Love
Know your app of course. But just chill my friend. We aren’t trying to kill you, we’re just hanging out. The general school vibe is that way as well, and we try to have the interviews reflect that.
Quillen is my top choice, should i let them know that during the interview?

I wanted to make sure everyone is aware of the curriculum change that is new to Quillen. Essentially you have to read 20-60 pages of material a night for the classes the next day. Most instructors do not provide lectures just these handouts. It’s usually very dense. You are REQUIRED to sit in class for 4-9 hours a day each day and to take quizzes on the material you learned by reading the handout. Some days you will be in class from 8-12 and other 8-5 and then have around 4-6 hours of learning to do for the next day. Additionally we take weekly tests. This is in addition to the midterm and final. I spend my most valuable hours in mandatory class in Team Based Learning everyday.

Last edited:
The TRAILS curriculum right. They make it seem like it's ~20 hours of scheduled time a week. Do you feel like they are having trouble rolling it out?

Last edited:
The TRAILS curriculum right. They make it seem like it's ~20 hours of scheduled time a week. Do you feel like they are having trouble rolling it out?
Correct. Every week is 18-24 hours of mandatory in class time. But nothing new is learned or covered in class. So then there is about 4-6 hours for each day of actual asynchronous lecture (or pdfs). So on the light day 8-12 is mandatory class time and then 12-6 is 1st pass of lectures. Quillen counts self directed study time as time to watch or learn 1st pass materials but is it really self directed if you have to watch the lectures (or read the PDFs)? Its not that the workload itself is too much compared to other schools, its just the 4 hours spent in class would be better spent with self directed learning. If anyone has any questions about the specifics of the curriculum I would be happy to answer.

Last edited:
So is this schedule from Quillen pretty accurate? https://www.etsu.edu/com/acadaffairs/documents/trailstypicalweek.pdf
Or is it even more time spent in mandatory scheduling? And I took self-directed studying as free time to be where you want to be and do what you need or want to do. But it sounds like you're more expected to be at a certain place (guessing a lecture hall) and doing a certain task. Is that correct?

Also what do you mean mandatory class time of social hour? Is the time not being used wisely in your opinion? I know these are a lot of questions and appreciate your time and any answers you can provide

Last edited:
For clarity I will say "in class" as the mandatory in class time. "In class" no new information is learned or presented. In class is the TBL and interactive large group you see on the schedule. You talk about what you learned the day before and answer group clicker questions basically. "Lecture" will be defined as either the video lectures that are provided or the 10-30 page pdf files you must read the day or days before "in class" time. Obviously, lecture is where you learn information (1st pass). That schedule doesnt include any "lecture". So you must add "lecture" time to that schedule. Essentially, replace all of the SDST with "Lecture." The "Lecture" time is asynchronous learning basically so you dont have to be anywhere specific but this is how you learn since "in class" there is no new information presented or taught.

Last edited:
Does Quillen have class ranks? or how do they rank their students if they are pass/fail and STEP 1 is also pass/fail

Does Quillen have class ranks? or how do they rank their students if they are pass/fail and STEP 1 is also pass/fail
The top 20% is ranked. It is pass/fail but over the years the grades are kept internally so that the top 20% can be identified.

do we know how long after interviewing people get a response? just finished my interview today. This was my first but it was a great experience

do we know how long after interviewing people get a response? just finished my interview today. This was my first but it was a great experience
Congratulations! I think that it is kind of a case-by-case basis. I interviewed back in september and they went ahead and put me on active hold within 2 days. My friend interviewed in late october and it took him about two weeks to hear anything

They told me Jan 19th was the next committee meeting and e-mails would be sent around then

Reactions: 2 users
I got the A call today! at around 12pm CST!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!! my first A of the cycle

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Post II R just now. Good luck to the rest of y'all this cycle!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed mid-September and didn’t receive any news today. I don’t see Quillen as the post-interview ghosting type, but it feels strange to me

Accepted today at noon central!! SO excited :) Interviewed 12/7 & active hold 12/15 - wishing everyone luck!

So I was one of the first cohorts to interveiw and Ive been on active hold this whole time. Is there anything I can do?

Post II R as well today. Good luck to everyone else this cycle

• Care
Interviewed in September. Got the R this afternoon. Good luck y’all.

• Care
  • Sad
Post II "active hold." So technically waitlisted?
That seems to be the consensus, yes. I'm also on active hold, and I haven't found any info at all about when and how much waitlist movement happens. :/