2022-2023 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @BioNerd 2.0 for sharing the questions!

2022-2023 East Tennessee (Quillen) Essay Prompts

1. What makes you interested in Quillen? Discuss your perceptions on how attending Quillen would align with your future goals and your hopes for how it will shape you into the physician you want to become. (1500 characters)

2. Social justice, systemic racism, and equity for all have been at the forefront of national conversations. Quillen College of Medicine recognizes that many barriers still exist for persons of color and those from historically underrepresented communities. As a physician you will have opportunities to foster an environment of change for your patients and community. Please share with us your reflections on how your life experiences have impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with backgrounds or values different from your own. (1500 characters)

3. Applicant choice. Please select only one of the following questions to answer. Be sure to indicate your choice by starting with the number associated with the question: (1500 characters)

1. There is no doubt that the level of stress brought on by medical schools can impact a student's mental health and emotional well-being. Discuss the ways you plan to manage your own health and well-being during medical school.
  2. Describe an experience you have had during your life that has given you a unique understanding of human suffering and what did you learn from this experience?
  3. Use this space to tell the committee anything else about yourself that you have not had the opportunity to present elsewhere in your application.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just got an email stating they have received my primary application and it will be reviewed before they send out a secondary.

Reactions: 5 users
First secondary recorded on last year's thread wasn't till August, I wonder if it'll be the same this year

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Saw on Reddit this morning that they are beginning to send pre-secondary R's

emoji26.png
Makes me nervous, ETSU is my dream school. Which Reddit page did you see it on?
/r/premed. I believe it was due to their OOS status, seeing at Quillen is heavily in-state biased

Last edited:
Saw on Reddit this morning that they are beginning to send pre-secondary R's
Yeah... I have two friends who got into med school at UT Health (TN) and they didn't even get SECONDARIES for Quillen. They seem to be extraordinarily picky and have a high emphasis on school/mission fit, rural health, and primary care.

It's a reach for me (all 3 of my MD schools are reaches) but I do think being in-state and having a genuine interest in primary care and rural medicine gives me a shot. We shall see.

Prompts:

1. What makes you interested in Quillen? Discuss your perceptions on how attending Quillen would align with your future goals and your hopes for how it will shape you into the physician you want to become. (1500 characters)

2. Social justice, systemic racism, and equity for all have been at the forefront of national conversations. Quillen College of Medicine recognizes that many barriers still exist for persons of color and those from historically underrepresented communities. As a physician you will have opportunities to foster an environment of change for your patients and community. Please share with us your reflections on how your life experiences have impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with backgrounds or values different from your own. (1500 characters)

3. Applicant choice. Please select only one of the following questions to answer. Be sure to indicate your choice by starting with the number associated with the question: (1500 characters)

1. There is no doubt that the level of stress brought on by medical schools can impact a student's mental health and emotional well-being. Discuss the ways you plan to manage your own health and well-being during medical school.
  2. Describe an experience you have had during your life that has given you a unique understanding of human suffering and what did you learn from this experience?
  3. Use this space to tell the committee anything else about yourself that you have not had the opportunity to present elsewhere in your application.

Prompts:

Are you an ED or Regular applicant?

No secondary yet.. IS, genuine interest in rural medicine, but... 502 MCAT so. We shall see if I get a secondary..

Members don't see this ad :)
Still not one yet, seems as if they are sending them out one by one and not by waves

oos rejected pre secondary last week: 512 3.86cgpa urm... LOL

• Sad
Still not one yet, seems as if they are sending them out one by one and not by waves
It is possible apparently from last year's thread people were getting interviews in September and had to wait until October 15 to get an acceptance or rejection.

It is possible apparently from last year's thread people were getting interviews in September and had to wait until October 15 to get an acceptance or rejection.

Yeah, last year they also didn’t get secondaries until the beginning of August. I am hoping mine will come tomorrow

What are your stats if you don’t mind sharing?

Yeah, last year they also didn’t get secondaries until the beginning of August. I am hoping mine will come tomorrow

What are your stats if you don’t mind sharing?
Hey, so I just check my Altus suite thing, and apparently, my scores from June 28th were released today so that could be the reason why I got a secondary. Not entirely sure. I don't know my score from the Casper- they send those 4 weeks after the test date- but I'm guessing it wasn't bad if they sent me a secondary.

My AMCAS was verified on 6/9 and sent out on the 24th. I took my casper on 6/2 and all my schools have my score, but it was 2nd quartile. I got the email on 6/30 saying ETSU was reviewing my primary and in the email it says I will either get a secondary or be notified of termination

My AMCAS was verified on 6/9 and sent out on the 24th. I took my casper on 6/2 and all my schools have my score, but it was 2nd quartile. I got the email on 6/30 saying ETSU was reviewing my primary and in the email it says I will either get a secondary or be notified of termination

It may just take some time then, I don't know how their system works, but I hope we all get a shot at getting in!!

Anyone else still waiting on a secondary or have received one since Monday?

Anyone else still waiting on a secondary or have received one since Monday?
I got it a few minutes ago, but it did go to my promotion folder instead of primary. First one to have done that out of all my secondary applications.

(App marked recieved by them on 6/30, OOS but veteran and from neighboring state.)

I got it a few minutes ago, but it did go to my promotion folder instead of primary. First one to have done that out of all my secondary applications.

(App marked recieved by them on 6/30, OOS but veteran and from neighboring state.)

Awesome! Mine was marked received on 6/30 so hopefully mine is coming soon. So it went to your junk folder?

Awesome! Mine was marked received on 6/30 so hopefully mine is coming soon. So it went to your junk folder?
Yes. (Not to spam, just not to my primary inbox.)

Crossing my fingers for you that you get yours today!

Just received,

"Pleased to inform you of the receipt of all supplementary information as requested. You may expect to hear from us as soon as possible once your information has been reviewed" -Edwin D. Taylor

Just received,

"Pleased to inform you of the receipt of all supplementary information as requested. You may expect to hear from us as soon as possible once your information has been reviewed" -Edwin D. Taylor
Did you already complete all of altus suite? I've only done casper and have been putting off snapshot, and I was curious if ETSU would review secondaries without it or if I wouldn't be marked complete until finishing that portion.

Did you already complete all of altus suite? I've only done casper and have been putting off snapshot, and I was curious if ETSU would review secondaries without it or if I wouldn't be marked complete until finishing that portion.
I finished all of the Altus suite! The snapshot was annoying lol, I don't blame you!

I finished all of the Altus suite! The snapshot was annoying lol, I don't blame you!
Thanks! And yeah I've definitely been putting if off as long as I can lol. If it's anything like the video response portion on casper where there's no time to think before being recorded, there will definitely be some awkward silences and stumbling around in mine lol

Thanks! And yeah I've definitely been putting if off as long as I can lol. If it's anything like the video response portion on casper where there's no time to think before being recorded, there will definitely be some awkward silences and stumbling around in mine lol
I stumbled and repeated myself. Mistakes were made, but I think on the real interview it will be easier because a person will give you feedback while you are talking, it isn't just silence.

Are casper scores required before secondary consideration? based off of the website, I was under the impression that the altius suite was considered alongside secondary and used to determine interview candidates..due to that, I had scheduled my altius suite for september.. should I move it up? (have not rec'd secondary, rec'd confirmation email on 7/11)

Are casper scores required before secondary consideration? based off of the website, I was under the impression that the altius suite was considered alongside secondary and used to determine interview candidates..due to that, I had scheduled my altius suite for september.. should I move it up? (have not rec'd secondary, rec'd confirmation email on 7/11)
I want to know this too - I've done everything but snapshot... this is the only school I applied to that requires snapshot so tbh I was just waiting to see if they gave me a secondary before I do it..

I want to know this too - I've done everything but snapshot... this is the only school I applied to that requires snapshot so tbh I was just waiting to see if they gave me a secondary before I do it..
Somewhere with the secondary stuff they sent me it said the app won't be considered complete until they get Casper, Duo, and Snapshot.

Edit: I did get the secondary without these turned in, but it basically said you won't be screened for an interview without it.

Reactions: 1 users
Somewhere with the secondary stuff they sent me it said the app won't be considered complete until they get Casper, Duo, and Snapshot.

Edit: I did get the secondary without these turned in, but it basically said you won't be screened for an interview without it.
Thank you so much! :) Best of luck.

That is amazing!! Do you mind sharing when you submitted? Quillen is my dream and last cycle they hit me with the pre-2 R...i'm hoping and praying for a secondary QUOTE]

I’m 507, 4.0, 2nd Quartile Casper, and IS.

They are reviewing the applications one by one so if you haven’t heard from them yet they just haven’t made their way to it! I submitted my AMCAS the day it opened, ETSU send me an email confirming they received my primary on 6/30

FYI: after looking at last years thread, interview invites were sent out at the end of August/early September. First interview was on the 13th of September.

IS secondary received with absurdly low MCAT (502) :) Honestly really shocked lol

Reactions: 1 users
I still have not received a secondary - OOS veteran, who was stationed in the state for two years with ties. 507/3.78

I still have not received a secondary - OOS veteran, who was stationed in the state for two years with ties. 507/3.78
They acknowledged receipt of my app on 6/30, and sent the secondary on 7/13. (Also an out of state veteran, but currently living in KY so that may have helped.)

+1 IS secondary received. went to my promotions tab so be vigilant

Hey, feeling really stressed and just wanted some feedback! Quillen is my #1 choice. I thought I had a good shot of being accepted until I received my Casper score. I scored in the bottom quartile:( I was just wondering if anyone had any idea about how much this would hurt my chances at Quillen?