2022-2023 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the active hold status UPDATE email followed by... an acceptance email less than 15 min later?? Is this a glitch?? Do I get to be excited?? WTF?? OMG?

Update - it IS a glitch, called the admissions office and they apologized perfusely. JEeessshh

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got the active hold status UPDATE email followed by... an acceptance email less than 15 min later?? Is this a glitch?? Do I get to be excited?? WTF?? OMG?

Same I did too! Hoping it’s not a glitch!!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 1/23, just received the active hold email now. They mentioned during my interview that the committee was meeting today (Feb 2), so fingers crossed for everyone who has been on active hold for a while that you hear good news today!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the acceptance call! Crying. Interviewed 12/5 (I think lol).

• Love
Interviewed 1/23, just received the active hold email now. They mentioned during my interview that the committee was meeting today (Feb 2), so fingers crossed for everyone who has been on active hold for a while that you hear good news today!
Same here. Has anyone received an acceptance without getting put on "active hold"?

Was on active hold since December (interview was 11/28), and recently got the call!

Reactions: 4 users
Same here. Has anyone received an acceptance without getting put on "active hold"?
I was wondering the same thing. It seems like almost everyone gets put on active hold and there isn't a set time people are on it before hearing back.
Either way hoping more good news is going out to others today and maybe the rest of us will hear good news the next time the admission committee meets (maybe February 16th?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on the new curriculum? I know quite a few people who go to this school, and I've heard not great things about the structure and admin's response to their grievances.

Hehehe.... time to start a good old fashioned SDN message board argument :) just kidding, you deserve an honest/completely non-BS response to your question. This is YOUR future, do what's best for YOU.

Our curriculum is mandatory attendance for about 20 hours a week. The rest is your time. Some (not all, and certainly not a majority) of my classmates don't like that; they'd rather do Anki in their underwear at home all week. They asked admin to remove the attendance policy, admin (very politely might I add) said no.

I do feel for the (small minority) of my classmates who don't want to come to class. That being said, the reason admin didn't budge is because our curriculum is working. We have patient cases with M2s (who are about to take Step 1 by the way) and we're at their level of clinical performance after 6 months of medical school. It isn't because the M2s are stupid; it's because we have waaaaaay more clinical stuff in the new curriculum. And systems-based is just easier to wrap your head around, you'll see it when you get here.

We're killing it when we go precepting (yes, in August of your M1 year you'll be in clinic), and every person in the class is passing the NMBE-style midterms and finals we take. THE ONLY "CON" IS: you have some structure to your week in the form of mandatory class.

If attendance was optional, sure, you could get in more Anki/research. But, you wouldn't be able to read an EKG or a chest x ray like I can. I'm going to be a better doctor because I came to this school, and I'm going to SLAY my aways. And I say that as a "gunner" who got a 99th percentile score on my MCAT exam. Yeah, board scores are important, Anki is important, but there's more to the art and science of medicine than practicing for a standardized test.

All that being said.... if you have more specific questions, feel absolutely free to DM me or put them here. You need to do what's best for you, and if that isn't Quillen, you'll get nothing but love and respect from us over here. If your dream is to spend the first 2 years of med school doing flashcards in your PJs and never stepping foot on campus, that's not an option here at Quillen. But if you do that, you definitely won't be as good at the start of 3rd year as me. Just food for thought :)

Oh also- our admin is amazing. They're honestly a little too easy on us, which I was suprised about when I arrived here. They're teddy bears. I can expand on that if you would like. Just to illustrate I'm eating lunch with our deans this week (not me specially, they have lunches every few weeks for any students who want to sign up).

Thank you for the very in-depth and honest answer, I greatly appreciate it!

Is anyone who attended the open house earlier in the cycle willing to talk about how it went? What kinds of activities did they plan? Did you find it useful? Any information really.
I am thinking of attending the one in March, but not sure what to expect.

Reactions: 1 users
any current students with any advice on what to do while school starts. I am concerned about my lack of anatomy/physiology knowledge and was thinking about pres-studying, but any advice or tips before I start this summer?

Is anyone who attended the open house earlier in the cycle willing to talk about how it went? What kinds of activities did they plan? Did you find it useful? Any information really.
I am thinking of attending the one in March, but not sure what to expect.
I went and loved it! They have so much to offer and it was awesome to see in person. Definitely the best of any other medical school visit I had

I went and loved it! They have so much to offer and it was awesome to see in person. Definitely the best of any other medical school visit I had
Awesome, I am attending this weekend. So looking forward to it.

Does anyone know if the committee is meeting today?

Placed on active hold this morning and interviewed on 1/21.

The doctoring portion of mandatory class is Def helpful. It gives us an advantage for things like chest Xray, ekgs, and stuff like that. The mandatory class itself I find a misuse of time. The statement "The curriculum is working" is slightly misleading. I would argue that we have to do more work than the previous class yet our scores for the NBME national average are slightly below where they should be. Especially because we just had 8 weeks of focused cardio and scored lower than people who completed 2 years of medical school so they had much more information to study and their studies weren't fresh and focused on cardio. Additionally, our anatomy practicals are lower than the previous classes. Overall, the structure of the curriculum I would assume is better than the previous classes but they have kinks to workout. We need less in class time and more time to learn. In Class should be no more than 10-12 hours a week and its 20-25 hours. This doesn't include the time you spend learning so you can be prepared for this class time. I personally tried to learn from our profs and not use anki but after seeing the midterm grades of those that use anki and 3rd party resources I am switching my methods. Those 4 hours of class is better spent using your own way of learning. Note: I am referring to the class TBLs and JITTS not the doctoring. As for admin being receptive to change they act like they want your feedback but they will not change. Would I come to Quillen over again, yes. Do I wish I didn't have mis use 10-15 hours of my time a week, of course, I would be a much happier person and probably would have scored much better on our NBME exams and I would have more time for resume building so I can be competitive for my future spec. If they reduce the class hours (not because I'm lazy but because I could use this time more efficiently) this would be a much better situation. I believe we had a survey and more than half of the class was unhappy with the class time efficiency.

The pros of the change is we don't have to take long and hard in house exams, and preclinical is only 18 months. So even if the change isn't fully worked out. Its only for 18 months and I've heard the clinical experience here is way better than at top schools because of the amount of hands on.

Attended the open-house on March 4, and it was amazing. The information, students, and faculty were great and very forthcoming. The Quillen family is pretty wonderful IMHO.

Anyone with tips on housing locations for Quillen and accepts loans as forms of payment?

Received an email about the status of the class today being a group email to those of us on "active holder". At this point, ETSU is saying the class is "oversubscribed." It was noted that Quillen believes that a decent number of multiply accepted students will not be attending ETSU ultimately. Adcom meeting again in April. I would reckon that there will not be a great deal of movement on the WL till May, but who knows? :) Keep the faith y'all as we wait.

Reactions: 5 users
I received the same email - I appreciate that they have updated us so many times while on active hold. I really hope some of those who plan to enroll elsewhere drop their acceptances before May.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news to anyone still hoping for an II, but in the email they did mention that interviewing for this cycle has finished..

I received the same email - I appreciate that they have updated us so many times while on active hold.
Yeah I feel like it's not incredibly common for a med school to regularly update their WL/hold applicants. Good vibes as always from Quillen

Yeah I feel like it's not incredibly common for a med school to regularly update their WL/hold applicants. Good vibes as always from Quillen
Whether I’m blessed enough to be accepted or not at Quillen, I will regardless sing its praises as being being the most gracious and kind place in keeping us updated and in the know. Quillen lives it mission as a family I truly believe.

Hello all, as the name suggests I’m a long time thread stalker but have never posted. I was a little curious after the update email should I be optimistic as someone on hold oos. (Does anyone know if later cycle movement goes exclusively to IS residents?)

• Hmm
Hello all, as the name suggests I’m a long time thread stalker but have never posted. I was a little curious after the update email should I be optimistic as someone on hold oos. (Does anyone know if later cycle movement goes exclusively to IS residents?)
That’s a good question. I’m an OOS too.

Yeah, a very very very non-trad here (on the order of over 50). Hoping for RPCT. :)

• Care
I received the same email - I appreciate that they have updated us so many times while on active hold. I really hope some of those who plan to enroll elsewhere drop their acceptances before May.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news to anyone still hoping for an II, but in the email they did mention that interviewing for this cycle has finished..
I received an email yesterday stating that there were 25 people in the class who are currently planned to enroll in other schools. They were urging those people to make a decision so that they could get others off the waitlist as soon as possible, I don't know if that helps.

But I will say- from personal experience, our admissions office is fantastic. If they tell you there's a shot, there's a shot. They don't play games with people. Now, that might be a VERY long shot, but it's not like they're leaving people sitting around who have utterly no chance. Make sense? Some med schools do that, we don't.
Yea I figured as much in regards to your first post. Thanks for the replies and I will delude myself until we hear something. Good luck to all my fellow holdies and may we all see each other next fall!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Just talked to the admissions coordinator and he said that currently they have still over accepted for their class size but are averaging 2 acceptance withdrawals a week. He also said the admissions committee would meet again next week. Not sure exactly how many people have been accepted past the 78 class size, but it's been 6 weeks since they updated their admissions profile with 97 admits so we could possibly see some more holding list movement soon if they decide to keep the # of over accepted students the same.

Just talked to the admissions coordinator and he said that currently they have still over accepted for their class size but are averaging 2 acceptance withdrawals a week. He also said the admissions committee would meet again next week. Not sure exactly how many people have been accepted past the 78 class size, but it's been 6 weeks since they updated their admissions profile with 97 admits so we could possibly see some more holding list movement soon if they decide to keep the # of over accepted students the same.
This is super helpful, thank you for sharing! I know in the email they sent last week they said 25 people had selected PTE at another school so hopefully those people stick to that decision. They also mentioned 38 people hadn't made a selection so I'm sure some of those might enroll somewhere else. I know commit to enroll doesn't open until May, but I really hope there is some movement before then because the waiting is rough. Wishing the best for all of us on active hold!

It would be nice to know sooner than later, but I’m more than happy if it’s a very late “yes”!

Thank you for this! Also, love the username

A scholar and a saint, thank you kind friend

Just got the email that I think goes out to all MD schools students relaying that the traffic rules counsel narrowing down to three acceptances by 4-15 and narrowing to 1 by 4-30. So, I’d expect some WL movement in April (think adcom is meeting according to an older email) and the bulk of movement in May. Prayers brothers, sisters and family ! I hope that if we are blessed enough to get off the WL we meet in July for a celebration beverage (or two) as MS1s in beautiful Johnson City!

A this afternoon! Interviewed 2/21, alternate list 3/2 and admitted today! Looks like the alternate list movement is starting to happen.

Reactions: 6 users
those “making the rounds” emails are always a jumpscare lol

Anyone else added checking the admissions tracker to their morning routine? All jokes aside does anyone know when admissions is meeting next?

Just withdrew my acceptance- best of luck, you all will be amazing physicians :)

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Has any accepted student heard about financial aid letters/scholarships yet?

Has any accepted student heard about financial aid letters/scholarships yet?
Was just awarded one yesterday, so I assume that the rest of financial aid is coming soon. If I had to guess, they're probably going to release at beginning of May when commit to enroll features open up.

Received emails from Quillen today for RPCT related materials (gosh, I hope I get in and can do RPCT). Also, got an email asking folks with multiple acceptances to use the tool on May 1 to go down to 1 acceptance. Hoping that all here who patiently wait will be getting some amazing news about becoming MS1's at ETSU in the merry month of May!

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone else on the hold list getting anxious as the PTE deadline approaches? I'm nervous that PTE at another school will affect our chances even if Quillen is our top choice. I'm inclined to think that a school will want to accept applicants without other acceptances due to the higher likelihood of them choosing to go there. Hopefully that isn't the case but it's a thought.