2008-2009 Rush Medical College secondary application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rjpark2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Describe two examples of working with people, one of which highlights your leadership skills and one which highlights your problem-solving abilities. (1000 characters max)

Describe 1-2 experiences you have had in the last 3 years working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and what you have gained from these experiences. (1000 characters max)

Describe one crisis/problem you worked through yourself, or helped someone else work through in the last 3 years. (1000 characters max)

Describe the path you took to prepare, both academically and personally, for a career in medicine. (1000 characters max)

If your pursuit of medical school were not a possibility what other careers would you pursue?:
a.
b.
c.

Does your academic record show a time gap or reflect a non-traditional calendar?: If Yes, give dates and explain. (1000 characters max)

List interests (outside of academics and medicine) in order of importance to you, with a. being the most important:
a. (60 chars)
b. (60 chars)
c. (60 chars)
d. (60 chars)
e. (60 chars)

Indicate whether you have skills/accomplishments/honors in any of the following areas: Select all that apply

a. Artistic endeavors - painting, drawing, sculpting, writing, design.
b. Entrepreneurial - have you started your own business
c. Sports - Varsity or higher level, subsequent to high school
d. Sports - Organized athletic activity (non-varsity) subsequent to high school
e. Performance Art - music, theatre, dance
f. Publications
g. Research
h. Other.

Indicate your planned activities between July 2009 and September, 2009. (1000 characters max)

Have you ever been convicted of a crime, or pleaded guilty and been placed on probation, court supervision or another preconviction program? A "Yes" answer does not automatically result in your disqualification for admission to Rush Medical College. If Yes, please explain: (1000 characters max)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So the non-academic or non-medical interests, what are y'all gonna put for that?

There is also a page for descriptions of your health related experiences, 500 characters. Also, 1000 characters about helping people.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the non-academic or non-medical interests, what are y'all gonna put for that?

I just put the normal stuff...spending time with family and friends, sports, travel. Nothing too crazy.

I just put the normal stuff...spending time with family and friends, sports, travel. Nothing too crazy.
I wanted to put family for the first one but i felt weird... I guess that works though. Don't know why.

What about the three careers if you can't do medicine? I sort of want to put professional soccer player or something ridiculous

in case anyone is curious...

Letters of Recommendation:
One packet/committee letter from your undergraduate school, or two (2) individual letters from any sources you choose. One of these two (2) letters must be from an individual with whom you have had substantial contact during the past 24 months.

Send via U.S. mail or use VirtualEval or Interfolio online.
No other Internet-based services are acceptable.

For the question about what your plans are for June 2009 to September 2009, does anybody actually know what their plans are? Mine are contingent upon whether I am accepted or not, which it seems like all of our plans are.

Does Rush screen? I didn't receive this one yet.

For the question about what your plans are for June 2009 to September 2009, does anybody actually know what their plans are? Mine are contingent upon whether I am accepted or not, which it seems like all of our plans are.
Someone said that last year it was for the next year and that maybe it should read June 2008 - Sept 2009.

Did anyone else notice this?

The final deadline for receipt of Letters of Recommendation is December , 1899.

I think we are applying just a little late. Haha.

I'm fairly certain they mean for July, 2008 to September, 2009. Expecting a real answer for July, 2009 to September, 2009 isn't really realistic. Besides, my answer for that would just be "letting my mind melt for a few months before starting medical school."

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question... for the essay asking about working with a diverse group of people:

do you think they mean in an academic/professional setting? Or what about volunteering in an ER of a city hospital?

Any input?

Another question... for the essay asking about working with a diverse group of people:

do you think they mean in an academic/professional setting? Or what about volunteering in an ER of a city hospital?

Any input?

I used a volunteering experience. Nothing to do with academics or clinical experience. I bet almost anything would work.

I used a volunteering experience. Nothing to do with academics or clinical experience. I bet almost anything would work.

I think I'm going to use volunteering in a city hospital. It seems to fit the prompt best, I guess.

So anyone confirm for sure that they mean July, 2008 to September, 2009?

Bleh I'm just gonna assume they do, it wouldn't make any sense otherwise and the 2008 secondary says from July, 2007 to September, 2008.

Schwerbert: SS: 7/30, Additional Materials Sent: 7/30, C: ??

Is anyone having trouble coming up with 5 interests? I am assuming stuff like "beer" and "videogames" are unacceptable.

Is anyone having trouble coming up with 5 interests? I am assuming stuff like "beer" and "videogames" are unacceptable.

I think I only put four...it didn't sound like you had to fill in something for all five.

These 1000 char limits are killing me... especially if I have to describe two experiences. :mad:

Is it me or are some of the character limits not as posted? The "Have you ever been employed by in healthcare field?" says 500 characters but only lets you put down 250. Same thing for the "volunteer in healthcare field".

Just as a general warning - once you start the secondary, you only have a month to complete it. I started on August 2nd and my deadline for completing it is midnight on September 2nd. Just make sure you keep that in mind.

Is it me or are some of the character limits not as posted? The "Have you ever been employed by in healthcare field?" says 500 characters but only lets you put down 250. Same thing for the "volunteer in healthcare field".

Really?

That sucks, I have to rewrite them now, darn it.

What type of things are you guys using for the crisis/problem question? I was trying to think of what I could write about, and then I realized I wasn't even sure what they wanted. I can't think of an example of what they are looking for (other than like, I had to raise thirteen orphans in the jungles of Africa, while being hunted by jaguars)

Rush has a lot of bull****tt ... damn

has rush officially sent out their secondary yet ??

I just checked the application. They have updated it. It now says:

Indicate your planned activities between July 2008 and September 2009. (1000 characters max)

I just checked the application. They have updated it. It now says:

Indicate your planned activities between July 2008 and September 2009. (1000 characters max)
Oh yeah. I forgot to say I got an email back Friday saying that was the case. Sorry!

I just got an official invite today.

OMG..rush secondary is a b****, so much BS. it says to describe a problem is the last 3 years and how you solved the problem. well, luckily for me, my 3 years in college has been pretty smooth.

i'm contemplating whether I should complete it now...i'm OOS and I heard their OOS acceptance is low(i dont have MSAR), i dont know if it's worth it.

OMG..rush secondary is a b****, so much BS. it says to describe a problem is the last 3 years and how you solved the problem. well, luckily for me, my 3 years in college has been pretty smooth.

i'm contemplating whether I should complete it now...i'm OOS and I heard their OOS acceptance is low(i dont have MSAR), i dont know if it's worth it.
I can't figure out what to put for that one either.

side effect: SS: 7/31, LOR 1: 7/31, LOR 2: ?, C: ??

I got an email invite to complete the secondary today. However, on the website, it says there is no invitation needed. I'm assuming I will be rejected out of presumed cockiness.

I got an email invite to complete the secondary today. However, on the website, it says there is no invitation needed. I'm assuming I will be rejected out of presumed cockiness.

I wouldn't worry about this. Almost all of us opened it up because of what it said on the website about not needing an invitation. I doubt they will hold it against you. Maybe it will even help - you were so interested in Rush, you kept checking the secondary to see if it was up and you found it before they emailed everyone 5 days later.

I wouldn't worry about this. Almost all of us opened it up because of what it said on the website about not needing an invitation. I doubt they will hold it against you. Maybe it will even help - you were so interested in Rush, you kept checking the secondary to see if it was up and you found it before they emailed everyone 5 days later.

I guess they could look at it that way. I had a letter to Wayne sent prematurely so I thought the same about Wayne, but found out that it's "totally fine" and they'll just start a file for you if they get something from you before they send out a secondary invite.

uvabme2009: SS: 8/4, C: ??

Anybody have their letters marked yet?

Anybody have their letters marked yet?
Not I

Marcy1315: SS: 8/09 LORs: 7/30 C: 8/09

I am marked complete with everything in, including the LORs. It probably did not take my letters long to get there though because I am in Milwaukee.

Schwerbert: SS: 7/30, Additional Materials Sent: 7/30, C: 8/1

Mine were marked complete on the 1st, actually.

Mine were marked complete on the 1st, actually.
what the heck I had interfolio send electronic letters on 7/30 and they haven't received them....

Cubssox2000: SS: 8/4 LORs: 8/5 C: 8/8

can we use the activities blurb we wrote for amcas?

Something tells me that the only reason why they ask for it again in the secondary is because they no longer look at the primary.

What the heck, we need to attach our birth certificate?

What the heck, we need to attach our birth certificate?

you can also send a passport photocopy.

many places accept expired passports--for purposes of citizenship proof. who thinks this will work for my app?

thanks in advance.

Do we get 1000 characters for each example in question #1? I'm finding it very difficult writing these essays.

Status
Not open for further replies.