2008-2009 Rush Medical College secondary application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Schwerbert: SS: 7/30, Additional Materials Sent: 7/30, C: 8/1
side effect: SS: 7/31, LOR 1: 7/31, LOR 2: ?, C: ??
uvabme2009: SS: 8/4, C: 8/11
Marcy1315: SS: 8/09 LORs: 7/30 C: 8/09
Cubssox2000: SS: 8/4 LORs: 8/5 C: 8/8

Members don't see this ad.

YAY i am officially complete as of TODAY ! hopefully i will hear something soon -- even though now that i think of it, they still haven't rejected me from last year ..

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a special way to login into the system as a first timer?

I received an invation email and for some weird reason the system informs me my AMCAS ID is not found. Should I give them a call?

Chicago Person: SS: 8/11 LORs: 8/11 C: 8/15

Is Rush OOS friendly?

In my opinion, no, they are not. Some numbers from the MSAR for last years cycle:

OOS Applicants: 3959
IS Applicatns: 1458

OOS Interviewed: 107
IS Interviewed: 285

OOS Matriculated: 21
IS Matriculated: 107

Even though they get many more OOS applicants, they still interview and accept far more IS applicants. Not to say an OOS applicant doesn't have a shot, but being IS is definitely an advantage. So I'll go and thank my parents now for choosing to settle in Chicago several years back :)

Is the signature page specific to each applicant? I.e. does it have your printed name on it or is it a generic form? I submitted before printing it out and turns out you can't go back and print it. If it's generic, does anyone mind PMing it to me?

Also, I can't go back and check that list of 4 things we need to send in. Was it...

1. Signature form
2. $70 check made out to "Rush Medical College"
3. 2x2 photograph
4. Copy of passport?

Sorry for the inconvenience but if someone could help me out, I'd be very very thankful.

anyone else having trouble logging in? i havent been able to get in all morning...

Also, I can't go back and check that list of 4 things we need to send in. Was it...

1. Signature form
2. $70 check made out to "Rush Medical College"
3. 2x2 photograph
4. Copy of passport?

Yep, I think those four things are all you need.

anyone else having trouble logging in? i havent been able to get in all morning...

I have been having trouble logging in this morning as well. Perhaps they are updating?

What do you guys think about talking about an initiative i took in my research job for the leadership essay? its not exactly working with people as i did it on my own, but my current project does involve many different people collaborating so i came up with something that i thought was best for the project as a whole (as opposed to the way the PI proposed originally) ? I don't really have any formal leadership roles (i was an SI leader but thats just tutoring IMO). Or i could talk about my role in my family (supporting my family of 6 on my own... mom + me + 4 siblings) ? Lame? I don't know what else i could write about :rolleyes:

What do you guys think about talking about an initiative i took in my research job for the leadership essay? its not exactly working with people as i did it on my own, but my current project does involve many different people collaborating so i came up with something that i thought was best for the project as a whole (as opposed to the way the PI proposed originally) ? I don't really have any formal leadership roles (i was an SI leader but thats just tutoring IMO). Or i could talk about my role in my family (supporting my family of 6 on my own... mom + me + 4 siblings) ? Lame? I don't know what else i could write about :rolleyes:

talk about the initiative you've taken in the research lab while collaborating with other people. i know in my lab i have worked with a bunch of different people to make sure things got done on time, etc. i think they just want to get a feel for the fact that you've actually done stuff with other people and you dont just live in a cave by yourself. 1000 characters is such a small amount of space and really all you can do is 500 because you still have to talk about problem solving with other people too. i don't think it needs to be like anything spectacular like "i helped cure cancer with an aboriginal medicine man". i talked about my experience working on a executive board for my sorority. i would talk about the family one on the second form where it asks have you had any other experiences caring for other people . that would probably be better fit there ! hope that helps ?

talk about the initiative you've taken in the research lab while collaborating with other people. i know in my lab i have worked with a bunch of different people to make sure things got done on time, etc. i think they just want to get a feel for the fact that you've actually done stuff with other people and you dont just live in a cave by yourself. 1000 characters is such a small amount of space and really all you can do is 500 because you still have to talk about problem solving with other people too. i don't think it needs to be like anything spectacular like "i helped cure cancer with an aboriginal medicine man". i talked about my experience working on a executive board for my sorority. i would talk about the family one on the second form where it asks have you had any other experiences caring for other people . that would probably be better fit there ! hope that helps ?

Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
can we use the activities blurb we wrote for amcas?

Something tells me that the only reason why they ask for it again in the secondary is because they no longer look at the primary.

When I interviewed at Rush last year, the first person had all the info and the second person only had my Rush secondary, no AMCAS, no LORs. That's probably why there is overlap between AMCAS and the secondary.

When I interviewed at Rush last year, the first person had all the info and the second person only had my Rush secondary, no AMCAS, no LORs. That's probably why there is overlap between AMCAS and the secondary.

Hmmm....very interesting. I'm hoping that you will be sharing much more Rush interview wisdom with us on this thread.

All the people (all 3 people, anyway) I've talked to said the Rush interview was the most "chill, laid back, etc." interview that they had. What was your experience like?

What was your experience like?

Interview day (from what I remember) began with a welcome, intro to the university, a campus tour with current students and lunch with the students. The students told us they had no impact on the app process and were there just to answer our questions. The interviews were later in the day. I think the interviews being in the afternoon allowed me to be cool and collected come interview time. I felt accepted (socially) there making me feel I could be one of them. Rush was my first (and turned out to be my only) interview and I really wanted to stay in Chicago so I was nervous yet eager. The two interviewers were polar opposites. One was older and more conserved, the other was a recent grad who seemed more relaxed.

We asked the students and I asked the second interviewer what the down sides of Rush were and both independently said the same thing: it's expensive and they don't have their own gym (but get you a discounted rate at UIC's). I don't really care about finances b/c all schools are expensive, and I don't work out...even though I probably should so I don't care about the gym.

After the interview I called up a friend and she asked me if there was anything I didn't like about the school, and I told her I didn't like the school patches that go on the lab coats. She laughed.

for the deadline, and in regards to the supplemental info you have to mail them......does it have to be there by the date? or postmarked?

anyone know?

Does anyone know if Rush gets mad if you send more than your packet or two individual letters? My packet already includes 4 letters...I'm scared 5 might be overkill since they only ask for 2 if they are individual.

I was verified 8/7 and still have not received the Rush secondary?

Was I screened or something?

I was verified 8/7 and still have not received the Rush secondary?

Was I screened or something?

Don't even worry about it, you didn't get screened. I received my "complete" email on 8/23 and on 8/26 I got an invitation to the secondary. They are just a little behind I think.

You can create a log in on their supplemental page without an invitation: https://www.rushsupp.com/IndexPage1.asp?200873451.72

Good luck!

Does anyone know if Rush gets mad if you send more than your packet or two individual letters? My packet already includes 4 letters...I'm scared 5 might be overkill since they only ask for 2 if they are individual.

I had the same question...and it's in the fine print on the supplemental application. At the top, it says "The Letter of Recommendation requirement will be considered fulfilled when we receive the documents you specify below. Choose two (2) individual letters OR the composite pre-medical committee letter (or packet). If you choose to submit more Letters of Recommendation than are specified, the additional letters will be added to your file but not tracked for receipt. Due to timing of receipt and the rolling admissions review process, we do not guarantee these additional letters will be reviewed."

You'll be fine submitting more than 2.

"Please note you will not need to finish all of the forms in one session; you will have 30 days from the date you begin your online application to complete and submit your materials."

Anyone know if the 30 days starts from when you first log in or from when you receive the secondary invitation?

seems to me that the 30 days begin once they send you the secondary.

even if you miss their 30 day deadline, you can click a button that gives you an extension of 2 weeks.

hey guys Im alittle confused. What is a signature form? Is it something I create, print out, and have notarized?

even if you miss their 30 day deadline, you can click a button that gives you an extension of 2 weeks.

Which button? Where exactly is it located??...im suppose to finish it today but i can't b/c i gotta study for my final:scared:

NEVERMIND, i found it...ppl, the Button shows up on the day of your deadline

Last edited:
Chicago Person: SS: 8/11 LORs: 8/11 C: 8/15
bluesmd: SS: 8/11 (from overseas) C:8/21

Does anyone know when they start giving out interviews?

So if I didn't get a secondary invite should I not waste my time/money applying here? Or do you think I still have an equal chance as the people who got invites??

So if I didn't get a secondary invite should I not waste my time/money applying here? Or do you think I still have an equal chance as the people who got invites??

Rush doesn't screen. Just go to the secondary website by following this link and clicking "log in" on the left side of the page.

https://www.rushsupp.com/IndexPage1.asp?200854292.72

You should have an equal chance of people who got "invites." People who received the reminder email could have logged in the first day the secondary opened.

I received an interview on 9/26, I'll be interviewing on 10/22

Hi everyone, I am having problems with the crisis question. I was going to write about moving to US but it was in 2001 and the question specifies it to be in last 3 years. Basically I was in college for the last 3 years. I don't know what to write for CRISIS. I mean yeah, we all have some daily problems but they are not "good" enough to be written on an application. Can you guys give me some ideas or examples of what you guys wrote? Any help will be much appreciated.

In my opinion, no, they are not. Some numbers from the MSAR for last years cycle:

OOS Applicants: 3959
IS Applicatns: 1458

OOS Interviewed: 107
IS Interviewed: 285

OOS Matriculated: 21
IS Matriculated: 107

Even though they get many more OOS applicants, they still interview and accept far more IS applicants. Not to say an OOS applicant doesn't have a shot, but being IS is definitely an advantage. So I'll go and thank my parents now for choosing to settle in Chicago several years back :)

does this mean more than 21 OOS students were accepted right, if 21 matriculated. i don't really understand the percentages listed on LizzyMs spreadsheet. it says that 27% of OOS are interviewed but your stats show 2.7%

Hi everyone, I am having problems with the crisis question. I was going to write about moving to US but it was in 2001 and the question specifies it to be in last 3 years. Basically I was in college for the last 3 years. I don't know what to write for CRISIS. I mean yeah, we all have some daily problems but they are not "good" enough to be written on an application. Can you guys give me some ideas or examples of what you guys wrote? Any help will be much appreciated.

I talked about my nephew who went through a major adversity and how over the last two years I have acted as his mentor. Just reflect on your life and don't be afraid to be brutally honest. This was super tough to sum up for me considering how short it needed to be. I spent 4 days crafting this response.

i discussed something that was very much specific to me (being accused of plagiarism when I didnt really do it), so im probably no help there. immigrating to the US is something that could definitely make for a great essay, so if you can think of something specific from the last three years that is related to that (like discrimination, possibly?), I would suggest writing about that. just keep in mind that a crisis doesnt have to be an isolated situation, but could be some prolonged, threatening adversity you have faced at some point.

look at this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=539477

Hey guys!
I have an interview at rush for mid-Nov and while I was initially thrilled now I'm getting really nervous. I got a 28 and then a 27 on my MCAT and my cumulative GPA is around a 3.6. I'm not a bad student, my non science GPA is a 3.8, so it's mainly just my non-biological sciences which tear me down (aka physics). Anyway, I'm not trying to over analyze a good thing but when I was applying people told me I had no chance...so I'm suspicious now, do they give interviews to a lot of in-state people? Or are they just baffled I applied? Plus, does this interview mean I have a good chance at standing up against their "above 10 average MCAT score" applicant?

Hey guys!
I have an interview at rush for mid-Nov and while I was initially thrilled now I'm getting really nervous. I got a 28 and then a 27 on my MCAT and my cumulative GPA is around a 3.6. I'm not a bad student, my non science GPA is a 3.8, so it's mainly just my non-biological sciences which tear me down (aka physics). Anyway, I'm not trying to over analyze a good thing but when I was applying people told me I had no chance...so I'm suspicious now, do they give interviews to a lot of in-state people? Or are they just baffled I applied? Plus, does this interview mean I have a good chance at standing up against their "above 10 average MCAT score" applicant?

if you have an interview, then your numbers are competitive at Rush. don't listen to other people. they are either wrong or just trying to shoot you down to make themselves feel better. yes they do give more instate than out of state interview invites but its not like they will start handing out random ones just to make up the numbers, especially so early in the cycle. just nail your interview and hopefully you will get an acceptance letter not long after. good luck! (i have an interview at rush too but earlier than yours)

For diversity question, what are they really looking for? I only have that i learned that everyone is equal?/????? :confused: any help is greatly appreciated.

For diversity question, what are they really looking for? I only have that i learned that everyone is equal?/????? :confused: any help is greatly appreciated.

saying everyone is equal doesn't really address diversity. have you worked with people who have different backgrounds from you? for example i went to a third world country and worked with people who lived in tarp covered houses. i definitely learned a lot from that experience, so that is what i wrote about. what i learned, how it affected me. it doesn't have to be as extreme as that. i think rush just wants you to demonstrate that you have worked with people who are different from you and can deal with a wide patient base. not all your patients are going to be waspy trust fund babies, or whoever. talk about an experience you had working with someone who has different from you - tell them what you learned from it. how it changed you. would you act different now having had that experience?

i would steer clear of saying everyone is equal .. i have a feeling people on the admissions committee know that everyone is equal, but they don't really know about YOU.

saying everyone is equal doesn't really address diversity. have you worked with people who have different backgrounds from you? for example i went to a third world country and worked with people who lived in tarp covered houses. i definitely learned a lot from that experience, so that is what i wrote about. what i learned, how it affected me. it doesn't have to be as extreme as that. i think rush just wants you to demonstrate that you have worked with people who are different from you and can deal with a wide patient base. not all your patients are going to be waspy trust fund babies, or whoever. talk about an experience you had working with someone who has different from you - tell them what you learned from it. how it changed you. would you act different now having had that experience?

i would steer clear of saying everyone is equal .. i have a feeling people on the admissions committee know that everyone is equal, but they don't really know about YOU.

****** Thanks for your reply.******

I was marked complete for Rush on 9/19/ and I playing the waiting game for a interview invite. Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get an invite? Rush seems like a great school and I want to be in Chicago!

if you have an interview, then your numbers are competitive at Rush. don't listen to other people. they are either wrong or just trying to shoot you down to make themselves feel better. yes they do give more instate than out of state interview invites but its not like they will start handing out random ones just to make up the numbers, especially so early in the cycle. just nail your interview and hopefully you will get an acceptance letter not long after. good luck! (i have an interview at rush too but earlier than yours)

Thanks for the pick-me-up! Good luck on your interview!!

I was marked complete for Rush on 9/19/ and I playing the waiting game for a interview invite. Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get an invite? Rush seems like a great school and I want to be in Chicago!
I have been complete since early August and no news. Just have patience!!

hey,

does anyone have any special info about Rush in general and about its curriculum

Hey so...

I've been complete at Rush since August 20th (received an email from them saying so)

and this morning I got an email that says:

Thank you for adding Rush Medical College to the list of schools you are interested in pursuing for your medical education. Your AMCAS application highlights your academic achievement as well as your commitment to health care and we are very excited about the possibility of you joining our community for your medical education.

The mission of Rush University Medical Center is to provide the very best care for our patients. Our education and research endeavors, community service programs and relationships with other hospitals are dedicated to enhancing excellence in patient care for the diverse communities of the Chicago area, now and in the future.

Students at Rush Medical College experience training in a rich variety of clinical settings including our own urban academic medical center, the nearby county hospital - the John H. Stroger Hospital - as well as suburban and rural community hospitals. Rush University Medical Center, located in the Illinois Medical District, is the hub of a network of 10 affiliated and associated hospitals in a system that seeks to deliver total health care to 1.5 million people representative of all strata of society. Site coordinators and staff physicians at all teaching hospitals are members of the faculty of Rush Medical College.

This is also a very exciting time for Rush University Medical Center as our "Rush Transformation" project is currently underway; a project that will produce a state of the art medical center. This nine-year venture will thoroughly redefine our buildings and technology, as well as many of the processes we use to deliver patient care safely and efficiently. Rush is using this opportunity to completely redesign all patient care processes to put the patient and family at the center of everything we do.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] should you have any questions throughout the application process.

Sincerely,

Dr. Susan Jacob, Associate Dean
Dr. Cynthia Boyd, Asst. Professor Department of Medicine
Ms. Jill M. Volk, M.S.Ed., Director of Recruitment and Special Programs

Recruitment Team, Rush Medical College
600 South Paulina, Suite 524
Chicago, Il 60612
[email protected]

anyone else get this slash know what's up with it?

I got it.

My gut reaction:

You're the dorky guy in high school, but you have a cute friend who likes you in a platonic way. You want to go to the prom with her, but you don't have enough courage to ask her in person so you leave a letter in her locker expressing your true feelings for her. Meanwhile, she doesn't really like you that way, but she wants to not hurt your feelings to leave options open for the future. So she passes you a note during study hall expressing how much she likes you, what a great person you are, basically anything but saying, "Yes, I'll go to the prom with you."

I'm feeling like the dorky guy getting that note.

Actually, I think I've figured it out (as much as I enjoyed writing my above response).

It's after 10/15, and lots of elite students are getting accepted already. Since Rush is not a particularly high ranking medical school, they're worried that one of the elites might have gotten in somewhere before they had a chance to interview at Rush. Of course, it's hard to tell on paper exactly who is an elite student, which is why we all got the e-mail.

Basically the e-mail says, "Just wait a stinking minute before you accept that offer at Harvard, and check us out!"

I'll be sure to let Harvard know that I'm waiting on Rush.;)

I just read that email this morning. Did everyone get it or do you think it is a sort of pool for possible interviews?? Very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.