UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I can't wait for some turkey on Thursday:)

Members don't see this ad.

Sarg, I'm guessing you're OOS, right? They might be behind due to the IS prematch. You could always give them a call next week (I'm guessing a lot of them around going to be out this week).

Yup, I'm oos. No worries. I figured they had bigger fish to fry with the instate match stuff going on. I was thinking that if I hadn't gotten anything after the new year that I'd call.

Yeah, it seems that OOS matters are an entirely different beast. I'm curious though: we were talking about an open house for those accepted in December. Will you get a notice like the IS people?

I think I need to read over the old thread again.

Members don't see this ad :)
no news here...still under review....oh limbo...

Same...I was pretty hopeful for Friday but it seems quiet on both fronts (RoT), so maybe they took off early for vacation :)

For some reason I get the feeling it'll be quiet until mid-december since the orientation guy said my batch of interviews (11/6) probably won't hear until mid-december. People who interviewed end of Oct heard on opening match day so there was ~2 week turnaround, yet none of us have heard anything since then. Also, I read an earlier post in this thread that TCOM told them they're going to give out pre-matches in 2 large batches, one in mid-nov and one in mid-dec. Let's just relax and sedate ourselves with tryptophan this week :)

Yeah, maybe that's the redux I was hoping for. I'm a little more apprehensive due to my early interview date, so I might call them next week about that.

Yeah, it seems that OOS matters are an entirely different beast. I'm curious though: we were talking about an open house for those accepted in December. Will you get a notice like the IS people?

I think I need to read over the old thread again.

Not sure if I'll get an invite, but I don't think I would make it anyway. Plane tickets and all.

Good luck to everybody. (This is the one scenario in this whole drawn out process that has been nice for an OOS like me. Oct 15 yes or no and then done with it. I think that the other med schools could learn something from Texas on that front.)

I think med schools could learn a thing from dental schools. Dec 1st is the day that all dental schools must send notices to all applicants who have received an interview. You know how some schools generally wait a week or two or in TX's case, the match? Nope, screw it: one day for those who interviewed relatively early and another day for those who did it late.

TX is more definite than others, but it still takes awhile for official notice. At this rate, I'll have to do some ritual sacrifice to the powers that be on Feb 1st.

I got a call from TCOM today....they left a message at my house. Just called back but the lady is "in a meeting" so I have to wait to see what they wanted!

I got a call from TCOM today....they left a message at my house. Just called back but the lady is "in a meeting" so I have to wait to see what they wanted!

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks! I actually went to my status page because DUH I totally forgot that they update those, and I got invited to interview!!! YAY finally! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with TCOM today, and I was told that they re-pool all the applicants that weren't prematched the first time around and that they are reviewed again by the ad com for the other prematch dates. So it seems like the interview dates matter somewhat, but I don't think having an early interview date rules you out from being prematched later on. So I'm not sure when the other prematch dates are but...This wait is unbearable !:scared:

where is the link i can go to see if i have been accepted?

TCOM adcom said they didn't give out many pre-matches this year...at least, not as many as last year. He said that if you haven't heard back yet, its good news (u haven't been rejected)
so there is hope :)

Ok guys, I have waited to ask this for a long time now :D

I am interviewing on December 9th YAY. Airfare is fricken expensive, but anyone have any suggestions on hotels to stay at near the campus?? I would appreciate any good pointers, being OOS I have no clue :)

I spoke with TCOM today, and I was told that they re-pool all the applicants that weren't prematched the first time around and that they are reviewed again by the ad com for the other prematch dates. So it seems like the interview dates matter somewhat, but I don't think having an early interview date rules you out from being prematched later on. So I'm not sure when the other prematch dates are but...This wait is unbearable !:scared:

Wow, this definitely lifted my spirits. I think I'll call just to hear those hopeful words myself too.

Congrats megan! I know you've been waiting a long time, so I'm really happy it worked out for you. Yeah, airfare is pretty expensive, but it think it's worth it.

I wish I could help you about the living arrangements, but my parents live so close to Ft. Worth that I didn't have to stay in a hotel. If you want, try going to this link and finding a student host:

http://students.hsc.unt.edu/housing/

I guess once the others get back from their Thanksgiving, they might give some better advice. Congrats again!

congratulations meganmarie! i actually stayed with my brother so i didn't have to worry about hotel....sorry! i think they give you an option of requesting to stay with a student host. so if that's something you would consider you should contact them ASAP. texas hotels are pretty cheap. i found this:
http://www.hotels-rates.com/hotels/...542734072&visited=true&clickingLogId=61793310

i hope that helps. you can probably get one that'll give you a shuttle ride to the school as well. if you have any questions about anything just ask away! i have my fingers crossed for myself and all of you wonderful SDNers! Happy Holidays!

I am interviewing on December 9th YAY. Airfare is fricken expensive, but anyone have any suggestions on hotels to stay at near the campus?? I would appreciate any good pointers, being OOS I have no clue :)

I hit up Hotels.com and stayed at Hotel Trinity. It's like 5 minutes from the school and it's right off of the freeway.

It may be ghetto, but it's cheap and the breakfast was great.

Just ask NOT to be in a room above a rented out party area, or you'll be listening to JayZ all night.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the info guys, but I actually found a hotel....kinda expensive but oh well its worth it :rolleyes: I am so excited!

Anyone know how the process works for OOS now that pre-match offers have gone out....since I am interviewing in December, when will I find out if I got in??

I was not thinking about this kinda stuff a day ago, since I thought I would never get an interview :)

meganmarie, I finally received my interview too (as an oos'er)! Big relief, huh? And I currently have DMU as my top choice as I believe you've said. ANYWAY, what hotel did you find and does it provide shuttle service to the School? Also, I have not confirmed my date yet, but do they give you any information over the phone about the interview? If so, where is the agenda? If you have received this and you can tell me at what time they approximate the interview to end, I'd appreciate it.
On the contrary, flights from Buffalo seem cheap for me. I've found ~100 each way, not too bad. Weigh all of the options. Also check out supershuttle. Good luck, I am so excited that TCOM may actually impress me as much as DMU!

You could always schedule a taxi arrival by the concierge desk. Hotels.com should have a shuttle feature listed or at least a phone number you could check.

That's exciting guys. I hope the best for ya'll on interview day.

Congrats on the interview. It's a very good school and everyone there is super friendly.

If your interviews are early in the morning and your hotel is not very close to the campus, leave LOTS of time to get there (because of traffic) I took the advice of the girl on the front desk at my hotel who told me it would take me 10 mins to get there and barely made it to my first interview (an hour later!)

Good luck to you. I know you really want this.

meganmarie, I finally received my interview too (as an oos'er)! Big relief, huh? And I currently have DMU as my top choice as I believe you've said. ANYWAY, what hotel did you find and does it provide shuttle service to the School? Also, I have not confirmed my date yet, but do they give you any information over the phone about the interview? If so, where is the agenda? If you have received this and you can tell me at what time they approximate the interview to end, I'd appreciate it.
On the contrary, flights from Buffalo seem cheap for me. I've found ~100 each way, not too bad. Weigh all of the options. Also check out supershuttle. Good luck, I am so excited that TCOM may actually impress me as much as DMU!

Hey chrom. I called Caroline back and left a message and then she called me back shortly. She gave me two dates to choose from, December 5th and December 9th....which both suck for me because I have finals, so I have to battle with my profs. to let me take my finals early. I chose December 9th because I figured the later date would give me more time to book airfare and better pricing. Once I picked my date she sent me an e-mail telling me my agenda, including when my interviews will be. My interviews are first thing in the morning, and the last thing on the agenda for me is lunch at 11:30, so I am not sure what time we will be done.

As for the hotel, I found the Holiday Inn Express downtown fort worth...it got good reviews and they have a shuttle. It is only 2 miles from the school. The other hotels suggested were very expensive, like in the 170's per night :eek: but the holiday inn was in the 120's so I booked it. I was kinda upset that the school doesnt have any discounts set up with hotels. I booked a rental car too through enterprise, and I used AZCOM's corporate discount they gave me from my interview there :laugh:

It's gonna be an expensive trip....but well worth it!!

A question to those who interviewed: I thought on the phone I was told the day would start at 7:30 am. My e-mail agenda says arrive by 9:30 am. Thought at the bottom it says the first interview is at 8:45 am. So, what time am I really supposed to get there? If it is 7:30 am, will we meet in the EAD?
Or does my e-mail say arrive by 9:30 because I will be in the second group of interviews? So confusing. Thanks ! :D

So does anyone know how accpetances work for OOS'ers that interview this late?? Will I found out 2-3 weeks after my interview, or do I have to wait til Feb. 1st, or does that just apply for in-staters? :confused:

A question to those who interviewed: I thought on the phone I was told the day would start at 7:30 am. My e-mail agenda says arrive by 9:30 am. Thought at the bottom it says the first interview is at 8:45 am. So, what time am I really supposed to get there? If it is 7:30 am, will we meet in the EAD?
Or does my e-mail say arrive by 9:30 because I will be in the second group of interviews? So confusing. Thanks ! :D

My first interview was at 8:00 am with a 7:30 check in. There was another group that showed up at around 9:00 to check in and had later interviews. They stagger the groups.

To help those in confusion, my interview was at 8:45 and they told us to meet at 7:30 in EAD. The building next to the parking lot you probably will parl in. Everyone in my touring group showed up at 7:30 and some had interviews starting at 8, some had theres starting later in the day.

for those of you that had interviews in the morning in the first batch and had a 7:30 am arrival time, what time did you get out that day? I am trying to book a flight home that day and was not sure what time I needed to schedule.

Well, it all depends on your 2nd interview time. Mine was around 1:15pm, but it lasted about an hour so I got out at around 2:30pm. After your 2nd interview, you check in with the admissions people just to make sure the contact information is correct.

Well, it all depends on your 2nd interview time. Mine was around 1:15pm, but it lasted about an hour so I got out at around 2:30pm. After your 2nd interview, you check in with the admissions people just to make sure the contact information is correct.

Gotcha, thanks! My interviews are at 8 and 845am and the last thing on my agenda is lunch....so I am guessing I will be done sometime shortly after that. I am SO excited :D

Gotcha, thanks! My interviews are at 8 and 845am and the last thing on my agenda is lunch....so I am guessing I will be done sometime shortly after that. I am SO excited :D

When I interviewed I had interviews at 8 and 8:45 also. After lunch there was a further part to the tour and I got out of there at 1:30ish. They verified my contact info (as flushot mentioned) after my second interview.

for those of you that had interviews in the morning in the first batch and had a 7:30 am arrival time, what time did you get out that day? I am trying to book a flight home that day and was not sure what time I needed to schedule.

Last interview as at like 1:45 and I met the wife at MickyDees down the block by like 2:30/2:45. If you're booking a flight right back out, remember that you've got about an hour drive to the airport, maybe worse with traffic. I wouldn't book a flight out until 8 pm or so just to be safe.

Well, December 9th is a random Tuesday. I think traffic and getting through the security should be pretty quick, at least from my experience with DFW. It has the usual patterns of an international airport though so I would still plan to be at the airport at least 90 minutes before departure.

The MSIIs take you on a tour after lunch (of the gross anatomy lab, simulation lab, OMM lab)...my tour was done around 1:15. If you had both interviews in the morning, you fill out your interview feedback in EAD and then you're free to go. Traffic shouldn't be too bad at that time
I had my interviews in the afternoon, so after the tour, one of the MSIIs guided me to where I needed to be :). I was done around 3:00...traffic was pretty heavy by the time I got to DFW

By 2:30 I was driving around getting a feel for the neighborhood and housing options. I had booked an ~8:00pm flight with American Airlines, but I was able to get on an earlier ~6:00pm flight by requesting such when I arrived at the airport early (no questions asked). That being said, I know from recent experience that it isn't as easy to switch to an earlier flight if you are flying with Southwest. ...I wish you well in your interviews.

my check in time was 7:30. my interviews were 8 and 8:45. i got out of there by ~1:45 after they verified my info. i left my bro's apartment at around 2:30 (his apartment is about 10 minutes from TCOM) and made it to a 4pm flight at DFW. traffic wasn't bad at all. i had a thursday interview.

Hey guys, here are TCOM's match lists from the last few years. Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• TCOM Match List 2005.pdf
    69.5 KB · Views: 591
  • TCOM Match List 2006.pdf
    62.3 KB · Views: 572
  • TCOM Match List 2007.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 599
  • TCOM Match List 2008.pdf
    36 KB · Views: 1,159
Wow, thanks CB. Always helpful as usual :)

thanks for all the info everyone. I booked a 715 pm flight back on American, so looks like I will have some time to scope out the area. Happy Turkey Day :D

Hmm, ok so I called their 800 number, which probably wasn't a good idea, but I left my info and question... was there another number where you got to them immediately? I could've sworn I've called them before but I guess it wasn't in the right office.

1-800-535-TCOM or 817-735-2204

these were the numbers they gave in the email they sent me with regards to my interview-day agenda. I'd try calling the second number...good luck! :)

so does anyone have any idea as to when I could find out after my interview....being OOS and interviewing so late, I am a little confused as to when they would let me know. Will I have to wait until Feb. 1st, or is that just for in-staters?

meganmarie, you should just ask them whenever you interview. Maybe you could inform all of us in-staters as well when they plan on giving out the next batch of pre-matches too!

meganmarie, you should just ask them whenever you interview. Maybe you could inform all of us in-staters as well when they plan on giving out the next batch of pre-matches too!

haha I know I know, I was planning on asking while at the school next week. Don't worry in-staters, I will keep my ears open for any juicy info :cool: Yay Texas in less than a week! :D

meganmarie, When do you interview?

Good luck and welcome to Tejas.

meganmarie,

In looking back to last year's thread there were pre-match acceptances handed out on 10/15, 11/14, 12/4, and 12/20. We seem to know there are no pre-match acceptances for IS during the month of January.

There is an OOS ("civilleader") applicant who was waitlisted on 1/22 after interviewing late Nov, if I recall correctly. He later posted that OOSs likely have their own kind of matchlist and are not a part of the 2/1 Match because of the >=90% IS requirement. At least this is how I interpreted it.

It turns out that "civilleader" was accepted off the waitlist on 5/20. Another OOS ("futureMD411") was accepted off the waitlist the same day. Also, at least two OOS applicants gave up their acceptances, one in late April and the other in early June.

The way I interpret this for OOS is that we could be contacted for acceptance anytime between now and mid-July. The latest we should next hear from TCOM about acceptance or waitlist appears to be the end of January.

I am trying to snuggle up with "no news is good news" for now as I look forward to your post-interview post!

In looking back to last year's thread there were pre-match acceptances handed out on 10/15, 11/14, 12/4, and 12/20. We seem to know there are no pre-match acceptances for IS during the month of January.

oooh that's both scary and exciting if they stay close to those dates...:eek:
I'll be checking like a madman around 12/4!

1-800-535-TCOM or 817-735-2204

these were the numbers they gave in the email they sent me with regards to my interview-day agenda. I'd try calling the second number...good luck! :)

Thanks, I think I'll try the latter if they don't get back to me in a few days.

Good luck megan! And to reiterate, there is no formal match for OOS applicants, so it's basically any time from that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.