2013-2014 The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did.

Fun fact: Brown and my no-name undergraduate institution both use the same payment processing company.

... It's a little sad that I recognized the website layout.

omg. if I am missing one "social science'' course for their requirement, do I pretty much not have a shot at Brown?

I've satisfied all the premed requirements. But i've only take 1 Psychology course during college. It seems like they require two courses in "social science"..... What should I do? Should I still go ahead and submit my secondary and hope that they will somehow overlook that?

Verified and received my secondary
Here are the secondary essays for Brown this year

Summarize your activities during the 2013-2014 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career.
Do you have limited Interview availability for the 2013-2014 admissions cycle?

How will your unique attributes (e.g., cultural or socioeconomic background, lifestyle, work experiences) add to the overall diversity of the Alpert Medical School community?

What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself?

3000 characters each.

Here are the secondary essays for Brown this year

Summarize your activities during the 2013-2014 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career.
Do you have limited Interview availability for the 2013-2014 admissions cycle?

How will your unique attributes (e.g., cultural or socioeconomic background, lifestyle, work experiences) add to the overall diversity of the Alpert Medical School community?

What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself?

3000 characters each.

Thanks!

I had a question about the premed competency section. Should we only put the required courses? Or also the recommended?

omg. if I am missing one "social science'' course for their requirement, do I pretty much not have a shot at Brown?

I've satisfied all the premed requirements. But i've only take 1 Psychology course during college. It seems like they require two courses in "social science"..... What should I do? Should I still go ahead and submit my secondary and hope that they will somehow overlook that?
The definition of social science is pretty broad, if you have explored any of the fields outside of medicine then you probably do have two. If I were you I'd take my transcript and cross reference it with the definition of social science that a simple google search will give you. If you still are out of luck then I can't really speak to how important that is, but I don't imagine it is an unforgivable shortcoming to your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need a ruling: Human Sexuality - social/behavioral science?

I need a ruling: Human Sexuality - social/behavioral science?

Probably. What department was it out of?

Can you take one this year? It shouldn't be a problem during the application cycle. Might be at matriculation, I'm not sure.

Physical Education and cross listed with gender studies I think. But I took it through the phys Ed department

The definition of social science is pretty broad, if you have explored any of the fields outside of medicine then you probably do have two. If I were you I'd take my transcript and cross reference it with the definition of social science that a simple google search will give you. If you still are out of luck then I can't really speak to how important that is, but I don't imagine it is an unforgivable shortcoming to your application.

Let's see...."Introduction to Native American Studies", "Greek and Roman Mythology", "Environmental History of Diseases", "American Studies", "Intro. to Music Literature", and there is a class that's in the department of "Science & Society".... what do you think?

But it seems like Social & Behavioral Science is only courses in this group: Antro, Econ, Psych, or Sociology. Damn. Maybe I should just indicate that I can satisfy that requirement during my gap year at a CC

Can you take one this year? It shouldn't be a problem during the application cycle. Might be at matriculation, I'm not sure.

Hmm...I already graduated from college this past June. So if I were to do that, I'd have to take it at a CC, which isn't impossible. But what a hassle.

Last edited:
Let's see...."Introduction to Native American Studies", "Greek and Roman Mythology", "Environmental History of Diseases", "American Studies", "Intro. to Music Literature", and there is a class that's in the department of "Science & Society".... what do you think?

But it seems like Social & Behavioral Science is only courses in this group: Antro, Econ, Psych, or Sociology. Damn. Maybe I should just indicate that I can satisfy that requirement during my gap year at a CC

Hmm...I already graduated from college this past June. So if I were to do that, I'd have to take it at a CC, which isn't impossible. But what a hassle.

Science and Society seems like a good bet. Definitely worth asking about. One of the other ones might float too...you should ask them, though.

I feel your pain on doing one final prereq during the application year. I have to for complicated reasons due to my do-it-yourself style post-bacc. Oh well.

How about Principles of Health Behavior?

Hey, I want to put the rec courses too. I prob will.

How many new students is Brown taking this year? The MSAR suggests that like 80% of their incoming class will be from a BS/MD program at Brown. That leaves about 10 open spots for new people, or am I reading that wrong?

How many new students is Brown taking this year? The MSAR suggests that like 80% of their incoming class will be from a BS/MD program at Brown. That leaves about 10 open spots for new people, or am I reading that wrong?

About half of the class at Brown went to Brown undergrad (per the MSAR). Most, but not all, would be from the BS/MD program.

How do you make sense of the MSAR for Brown?

7181 applications, 298 interviewed, 4 deferred, 4 early assurance, and 47 baccalaureate/MD for an incoming class of 120. Now, does that 7181, 298, and 120 include people who applied to the PLME program? And if so, does anyone know how many applied & were interviewed to PLME to "fix" the numbers?

How do you make sense of the MSAR for Brown?

7181 applications, 298 interviewed, 4 deferred, 4 early assurance, and 47 baccalaureate/MD for an incoming class of 120. Now, does that 7181, 298, and 120 include people who applied to the PLME program? And if so, does anyone know how many applied & were interviewed to PLME to "fix" the numbers?

I have a friend who did the BS/MD program at Brown and I know that they did have to put through an AMCAS application (strictly as a formality). I don't think they needed to interview, though.

Brown definitely has a super low acceptance rate, in no small part because of that program. I'm still planning on applying but, like one or two of the state schools I'm applying to for family reasons, it's a bit of a long shot. I'd still love to go here, though.

The PLME program sends about 50 students into the med school each year and they are supposedly looking to make it smaller other the upcoming years (word of mouth from a med student at Brown).

The PLME program sends about 50 students into the med school each year and they are supposedly looking to make it smaller other the upcoming years (word of mouth from a med student at Brown).

Hmm - this plays to my advantage, but is a disadvantage for my sibling who's applying to PLME. Bittersweetness. :confused:

This secondary is turning out to be a lot more lengthy then I had expected (-_-)

What can one do in order to maximize their chance of being interviewed here? :p Even though I have no ties to Providence or Brown, it seems like an amazing school/environment, and I would LOVE to get an interview here!!!
Does sending letter of interest help? If so, how often should send it? Also, what kind of qualities should I emphasize in my application (research/community service etc...?)

How true should I hold these words to

Consider that about 50% of the incoming class is accepted through a special entry program, and that only 50% of seats in the entering class are available to those applying through the ordinary AMCAS pool.

3000 characters is a lot! Especially for the aspirations question. Anyone know if it's looked down upon to be well under the character/word limit?

Good morning everyone :)

Write however much you feel answers the question. They read 7000 of these essays (and they do read all of them). They don't want to read 7000 3000-character essays.

As a follow up from an ex-adcom member (now in residency, had the time of my life at Brown, and as far as after Brown I matched to my #1 in a field w a 50% match rate and it's all due to Brown), SO TRUE!

We don't care if you write 500, 1000, or 3000 characters, we just didn't want anyone to feel as though they didn't have enough room to write. Some of the best essays I read were short, punchy, and showed that they really meant what they were saying (ie, not the standard "I want to do medicine because I shadowed Dr Bigname and saw how much of an impact he made on patients lives"). Make it about you, and show the adcom why you would be a good fit at Brown.

As some context for why we do it that way, Brown is very much a choose-your-own-adventure kind of medical school. Only mandate is that you have to do your academics. Other than that, up to you. Don't want to do research? Cool. Want to go to a yoga research retreat/conference? Brown funded a girl in my class to do that. Health policy your thing? Super active AMSA, AMA, and health policy groups. Underserved? 2 free clinics (one completely student run) plus a bunch of specialty clinic opportunities. What this means though, is that you have to actually be passionate about something, because no one is going to hold your hand and say "go to Dr BasicScience's lab and do Project X." WAMSBU doesn't care that much what it is you're doing with your free time, just that you do it well and with some rigor.

So yea, you need to show the adcom what your passions are. What do you do in your free time, and what would you do outside of class.

Reactions: 1 user
And just to be clear, if you want to do traditional research that's totally fine too, and plenty of people (myself included) do. There are plenty of resources for that. But the point is, if you don't like doing research (and it's pretty clear who does and does not actually enjoy being in lab or crunching data) just tell the adcom what you do like doing, how you would continue doing it in med school, and why that makes you a good fit for Brown.

Hey all. 'Nother M1 reporting!

What can one do in order to maximize their chance of being interviewed here?

As was said, that secondary is extremely important. I know you'll hear from every school that the secondary plays a large role in the interview invitation process, but most schools don't invite <300 people to interview. So take time on this. Do a good job and do an honest job. Show that you have given serious thought to your place in the American and/or global healthcare landscape. Write about what excites you, scares you, motivates you.

Try to think beyond what is, for now, the all-encompassing goal of getting in to medical school and imagine the "now what?" of the other side.

Best Luck! I'll check in periodically to answer any questions I can.

Reactions: 1 user
I finally submitted this secondary...I've been sitting on it for a while.

Still waiting, anyone else verified and not received the secondary?

Received a nice little brochure in the mail today :)

I had a question about the premed competency section.
7l.jpg

Wanted to wish everyone luck. Like the Bear man, I'm also an incoming M1. Having just gone through the application process, I can commiserate with what y'all are going through right now. If you have any questions about the Brown process or the application process in general, PM me. The one advice I would like to offer is to take this opportunity to talk to as many people as you can. I met some pretty amazing people during this process and I'm close friends with a few students I interviewed with even though we ended up going to different schools. Don't let the stress of the situation get to you.

One note about Brown... Brown wants students who genuinely want to attend Brown. I wrote about 4 letters to Director Fuller after my interview. If Brown is truly your first choice, consider writing a few letters. They really do help. Brown has a very progressive selection process so don't discount yourself if you're not from an Ivy or not the son of a senator. I hope you all get an interview here!

Bonne chance!

Interview invite today!! Could not be more stoked about this :thumbup::thumbup:

Congrats!! When were you complete? I was complete July 10th but still waiting for my II, if I am lucky enough to get one. I love this school.

Last edited: