2013-2014 The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CONGRATS!

When were u complete?

With an MCAT like yours, I'm sure you'll get a lot of IIs. Is this your first one?

Thanks! I was complete 08/17. REALLY fast turn around. And I've got a couple more IIs now, but yeah this was my first. INCREDIBLE feeling.

How about you? Any luck yet? Hope so!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! I was complete 08/17. REALLY fast turn around. And I've got a couple more IIs now, but yeah this was my first. INCREDIBLE feeling.

How about you? Any luck yet? Hope so!

Dang that is quick lol That's awesome! Yep got my first II from USC yesterday. I was complete at most schools on 8/19, so I think the next two weeks will be interesting for me.

I iz complete..show me some love Brown!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got verified last Monday, but I still haven't gotten a secondary. Is anyone else being delayed?

Dang that is quick lol That's awesome! Yep got my first II from USC yesterday. I was complete at most schools on 8/19, so I think the next two weeks will be interesting for me.

Congrats! Yeah, I was complete around that same time for a good amount of schools. I keep checking my email every 5 minutes now PRAYING that I got an interview from some school. Hahah, it really is torture!

Atleast, for the MCAT, I knew what day to expect things and thus only tortured myself for one afternoon. But this is just...unbearable!

Congrats! Yeah, I was complete around that same time for a good amount of schools. I keep checking my email every 5 minutes now PRAYING that I got an interview from some school. Hahah, it really is torture!

Atleast, for the MCAT, I knew what day to expect things and thus only tortured myself for one afternoon. But this is just...unbearable!

Me and you are the same person lol. It's HORRIBLE. Can't wait until this torture is over.

Did you get it today? I emailed admissions and got no response. I knew they'd be busy, but I'm getting kinda worried here.

Edit: NVM, just got secondary

Last edited:
whats every ones view on pre interview letter of interests?

whats every ones view on pre interview letter of interests?

on the first page of this thread, one of the MS1s said:

"Letters of interest don't help until you interview, in my opinion. For any school, once you get an interview, actively pursuing a spot in their class and repeatedly demonstrating interest is a plus, so long as each letter of interest has something new to say."

Your interest should be evident in your secondaries (too bad I didn't realize that until after I submitted :( ). I also think that you cant really say youre interested until after interview, unless you have prior experience visiting the school, working with faculty there, etc. you know SOMETHING that gives you a substantial reason to be interested. saying that their website and viewbook absolutely blew you away might not seem genuine.

im not sure if brown waitlists for their interviews, but if so, I would think that would be the absolute earliest time to send a letter of interest. that applies to all schools, in my opinion

How about updates? Recent publications, employment, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! when are you going to be in providence?

Congrats RocDiva! Looks like you have an amazing app, glad Brown recognized that too.

I'll be interviewing in early October, hope to see some of you there!

Thanks!! I'll be there Oct. 3rd, so we very well may bump into each other. Congrats on your II too.

i'll miss ya by a week, but good luck!!!! Brown is so awesome, can't wait to go see the med school :love:

am I considered a reapplicant if i was previously accepted to PLME as a high schooler but ended up going to school elsewhere? no, right?

Wow:) Good to see some incoming M1s coming on here and promoting our school. Like Aleopathic I also started residency a few months ago. Even with my schedule I still felt that I wanted to come here and promote this outstanding program. I matched at a top program in a very competitive specialty (like Aleopathic). As a matter of fact we were classmates:) The new M1s will be more in tune with the inner workings of the school. I would be very happy to answer anything about Alpert/Brown in general and life after Alpert/Brown. For all those guys applying. There are several new comers and two graduates coming back to promote the school. This should say something about the program:)

Wow:) Good to see some incoming M1s coming on here and promoting our school. Like Aleopathic I also started residency a few months ago. Even with my schedule I still felt that I wanted to come here and promote this outstanding program. I matched at a top program in a very competitive specialty (like Aleopathic). As a matter of fact we were classmates:) The new M1s will be more in tune with the inner workings of the school. I would be very happy to answer anything about Alpert/Brown in general and life after Alpert/Brown. For all those guys applying. There are several new comers and two graduates coming back to promote the school. This should say something about the program:)

How was the diversity at Brown both class-wise and patient-wise?

What's your favorite memory from med school?

How did you enjoy the clinical years, especially the psych rotation?

I find a lot of the scholarly concentrations to be fascinating. Which one did u pick and how hard was it to choose?

What's class participation like? Do most students attend lecture? How long is a typical day of class?

Also if you actually answer all of these questions, you are awesome! :)

Last edited:

I find a lot the scholarly concentration to be fascinating. Which one did u pick and how hard was it to choose?

What's class participation like? Do most students attend lecture? How long is a typical day of class?

Awesome indeed! I would be so thankful to hear some Brown perspective on these guys above.

New MS1 at AMS here, so I obviously can't provide perspective on the more longer-term aspects you asked about (since I have no perspective to speak of). However, I can answer this question to a certain extent. So far most of my classmates are going to lectures, but the numbers are already starting to dwindle. Some of the MS2's tell me that by the end of the year, about half the class is still going to lectures regularly.

All of the lectures are recorded, and not just the camera at the back of the room deal...there's a dual video feed that captures both the lecturer and what is being projected on the screen, and synchronizes them together with the audio. In a former lifetime I was a teacher and did quite a bit video podcasting myself, and I can tell you it's a pretty slick system. There's an app that you can use to download the podcasts onto your phone, tablet, and/or computer, and listen to the lecture at 1.5 or 2x speed without any Alvin-and-the-Chipmunks-type audio distortion. Some of my classmates have reported streaming the lectures on their TV at home via AirPlay, and "going to class" in their PJs with a hot cup of coffee in hand.

A lot of students have been picking-and-choosing which lecturers to watch the podcasts and which to actually show up for. We just had our first big exam last week and a number of the students I know who watched the podcasts felt that they were still able to learn the information they needed to do well.

Personally I've been going to all the lectures, because I like actually being present at classes, and I'm an older student and a bit more set in my ways (not quite "In my day, we didn't have this technologyyyyyyyyy"...well, at least I hope). Also, if I didn't go to class to give the day some structure, I'd probably be sitting at home on the couch Al Bundy-style all day. While lectures are not mandatory, however, small group and clinical skills sessions are (attendance is taken).

As far as days of class, the lectures usually go from 9 to noon, followed by an hour-long lunch break. After lunch, there's usually either lecture, small-group sessions, or labs (histology or anatomy) until 3-3:30. Thursday afternoons starting in October we'll be going to a community mentor physician's office for the afternoon (either office- or hospital-based).

Hope that answers your question; happy to share whatever limited knowledge I have if anyone has other questions.

SC

New MS1 at AMS here, so I obviously can't provide perspective on the more longer-term aspects you asked about (since I have no perspective to speak of). However, I can answer this question to a certain extent. So far most of my classmates are going to lectures, but the numbers are already starting to dwindle. Some of the MS2's tell me that by the end of the year, about half the class is still going to lectures regularly.

All of the lectures are recorded, and not just the camera at the back of the room deal...there's a dual video feed that captures both the lecturer and what is being projected on the screen, and synchronizes them together with the audio. In a former lifetime I was a teacher and did quite a bit video podcasting myself, and I can tell you it's a pretty slick system. There's an app that you can use to download the podcasts onto your phone, tablet, and/or computer, and listen to the lecture at 1.5 or 2x speed without any Alvin-and-the-Chipmunks-type audio distortion. Some of my classmates have reported streaming the lectures on their TV at home via AirPlay, and "going to class" in their PJs with a hot cup of coffee in hand.

A lot of students have been picking-and-choosing which lecturers to watch the podcasts and which to actually show up for. We just had our first big exam last week and a number of the students I know who watched the podcasts felt that they were still able to learn the information they needed to do well.

Personally I've been going to all the lectures, because I like actually being present at classes, and I'm an older student and a bit more set in my ways (not quite "In my day, we didn't have this technologyyyyyyyyy"...well, at least I hope). Also, if I didn't go to class to give the day some structure, I'd probably be sitting at home on the couch Al Bundy-style all day. While lectures are not mandatory, however, small group and clinical skills sessions are (attendance is taken).

As far as days of class, the lectures usually go from 9 to noon, followed by an hour-long lunch break. After lunch, there's usually either lecture, small-group sessions, or labs (histology or anatomy) until 3-3:30. Thursday afternoons starting in October we'll be going to a community mentor physician's office for the afternoon (either office- or hospital-based).

Hope that answers your question; happy to share whatever limited knowledge I have if anyone has other questions.

SC

Omg that's awesome! Thanks so much for answering.

Very diverse. Some of the most interesting and accomplished people I knew were a part of my class. Not just in the area of medicine but many had other successful careers.

I hear a lot of questions about patient-variety from pre-med students. And it is a fair question. But it is good to keep a perspective of where you will be in your training when you ask this question. So in short, you will have all the variety you can handle and then some. As a medical student you will need to learn basics (this is true even as a junior resident) and that means repetition with patients that show up with bread and butter issues (CHF, MI, small bowel obstruction, pancreatitis, trauma....). Most schools, including brown have this variety. I wouldn't worry too much about patient variety at this point. I gurantee you that any MD or DO school will provide this. Carribean schools...I am uncertain how their training is...mostly because I haven't met anyone who has graduated from there and spoken to them about it.

That being said. Brown is VERY hands on. We let med students do A LOT. I delivered 8 babies during my ObGYN rotation. Regularly helped close. Opened up a few times on simple cases. Helped make decisions on patients etc..... Clinical training here is second to none.

Match day and spending that time with my wife and son.

Fantastic. It almost made me want to swtich from ENT to psych. Dr. Colin Harrington is amazing. All of the psych staff are. Brown is where ritalin was invented. Need I say more?

I find a lot of the scholarly concentrations to be fascinating. Which one did u pick and how hard was it to choose?
I personally believe that there is sufficient flexibility in the curriculum to let you do what you want, kinda like aleopathic said. I didn't do a concentration and I don't believe that students need to do one to do something unique. But the option is there.

I never attended class. 50-75% attendance. 5-6 hours long.

Reactions: 1 user
Very diverse. Some of the most interesting and accomplished people I knew were a part of my class. Not just in the area of medicine but many had other successful careers.

I hear a lot of questions about patient-variety from pre-med students. And it is a fair question. But it is good to keep a perspective of where you will be in your training when you ask this question. So in short, you will have all the variety you can handle and then some. As a medical student you will need to learn basics (this is true even as a junior resident) and that means repetition with patients that show up with bread and butter issues (CHF, MI, small bowel obstruction, pancreatitis, trauma....). Most schools, including brown have this variety. I wouldn't worry too much about patient variety at this point. I gurantee you that any MD or DO school will provide this. Carribean schools...I am uncertain how their training is...mostly because I haven't met anyone who has graduated from there and spoken to them about it.

That being said. Brown is VERY hands on. We let med students do A LOT. I delivered 8 babies during my ObGYN rotation. Regularly helped close. Opened up a few times on simple cases. Helped make decisions on patients etc..... Clinical training here is second to none.

Match day and spending that time with my wife and son.

Fantastic. It almost made me want to swtich from ENT to psych. Dr. Colin Harrington is amazing. All of the psych staff are. Brown is where ritalin was invented. Need I say more?

I personally believe that there is sufficient flexibility in the curriculum to let you do what you want, kinda like aleopathic said. I didn't do a concentration and I don't believe that students need to do one to do something unique. But the option is there.

I never attended class. 50-75% attendance. 5-6 hours long.

Thanks so much for answering! I'm super excited about Brown! Fingers crossed that my interview goes well.

How long does it take to get the secondary app from Brown after AMCAS is verified? I was verified about two weeks ago and have got secondary app from everyone except brown.

how about some stats from you guys who got interview invites :)?

Does anyone know if Brown is receptive to in the area emails? I searched previous threads but couldn't find a clear consensus. If so, would it be more beneficial to send an in the area email ASAP, or wait until after mailing in an update? Thanks!

Just finished my secondary! Good luck to everyone else, hope to see you all during interviews!!

Any II lately?! Please post your complete date. Thanks!

Warning to most people complete in July-mid August, first rejections last year came out around this time. So don't get excited if you see (1) in your inbox with Brown in the subject line next week :p

II today! Scheduled for 18th Oct. Very excited.

4.0/39, Complete 12th Sep. 2013

Warning to most people complete in July-mid August, first rejections last year came out around this time. So don't get excited if you see (1) in your inbox with Brown in the subject line next week :p

I can't decide whether I'm grateful for you taking the time to figure this out or whether I am annoyed at your lack of faith :rolleyes:

Can someone speak to me about the opportunities for research here? Any insight is appreciated!

If you get an interview with Brown, you are almost guaranteed to get an acceptance based on the most recent USNWR stats:

Of total applicants who got interviews, 76% were accepted.

Of in-state applicants who got interviews, 88% were accepted.

Of out-of-state applicants who got interviewed, 76% were accepted.

These are incredibly misleading, and don't really reflect the internal numbers (which aren't really reported). Yield-rate is a closely guarded secret by nearly all medical schools, and USNWR's estimates are somewhat educated guesses at best. Don't get complacent.

Research: You can work on pretty much anything you want here. I know it's a common SDN trope to obsess about research, but the vast majority of medical students I know, both here and at other schools, and myself included, aren't bothering with research anytime soon. Most of us don't even know what we want to do yet.

That being said, if you decide on something that needs research down the line, there's a wealth of opportunity to get projects, and if you can't find something you like here it takes relatively little effort to work somewhere that does (MGH, etc.).

I think you have the best username and avatar combination on sdn. I'm jelly

These are incredibly misleading, and don't really reflect the internal numbers (which aren't really reported). Yield-rate is a closely guarded secret by nearly all medical schools, and USNWR's estimates are somewhat educated guesses at best. Don't get complacent.

Research: You can work on pretty much anything you want here. I know it's a common SDN trope to obsess about research, but the vast majority of medical students I know, both here and at other schools, and myself included, aren't bothering with research anytime soon. Most of us don't even know what we want to do yet.

That being said, if you decide on something that needs research down the line, there's a wealth of opportunity to get projects, and if you can't find something you like here it takes relatively little effort to work somewhere that does (MGH, etc.).

"A giant leap for bearkind" :claps:

MS1 at this school, taking a break from the brutality that is biochem from a certain endocrinologist....

In any case, my .02 is that this place (and my class) is awesome. I wish everyone luck in the apps! The program, the services, the staff, almost everything available to us makes this school a great place to be (some things could be improved, but what place is perfect. though the silver lining here is that they actually meet with class reps to LISTEN to our feedback AND make changes).

A simple test and one of the best measures of your med school experience (at this school or any other) is to gauge how happy/cheerful/friendly the student body is. I can emphasize that enough, because that is a direct window into what your condition will be like when you are an MS1. I'm genuinely happy here (despite said biochem brutality) and that makes all the difference.

Also, I'm conducting an interview day tour early Nov so if you get invited then you might meet me. yay!

I'm also curious who these other MS1ers are on here...willing to PM me MS1ers and share info?? :D

you know you want to.

so I was complete 9/4. Haven't heard a word. I know people complete after me got IIs. Should I be worried???
It seemed like they had pretty quick turn around time from secondary to II. but some people just got II way later.

so I was complete 9/4. Haven't heard a word. I know people complete after me got IIs. Should I be worried???
It seemed like they had pretty quick turn around time from secondary to II. but some people just got II way later.

Complete 9/10 and nada. Keep in mind the majority of applications are coming now, don't lose hope! :luck: