Charles R Drew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
prana_md said:
Hey there ... I got accepted. Dr. Aguilera called me back at work and told me. Hang in there ... it happens, it does! :love:
It's true - I answered the phone and passed it over to Prana.

Congrats again!

Members don't see this ad.

prana_md said:
Hey there ... I got accepted. Dr. Aguilera called me back at work and told me. Hang in there ... it happens, it does! :love:

Congrats!!! The Drew class that I met that are going for sure next year are very cool...are you for sure joining them prana? :thumbup:

:clap: Congratulations Prana!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: Yay at least one of us has gotten an acceptance :horns: :thumbup: There is still hope for us who are still waiting... (today is officially my 3rd month of waiting :scared: )

Members don't see this ad :)
just a few more days, and then we might know more. Crossing the ole fingers - just a few more days until Prana knows if she is rid of me or not!

hey guys, just thought i'd pop in here and give you some more hope. my friend showed me her letter to drew today and said she will be withdrawing. good luck guys :luck: ! double good luck to flop :luck: :luck: !

Congrats Prana!

Were you in the afternoon group mdhopeful?

kirexhana said:
hey guys, just thought i'd pop in here and give you some more hope. my friend showed me her letter to drew today and said she will be withdrawing. good luck guys :luck: ! double good luck to flop :luck: :luck: !
WOO HOO!! another slot! Gotta keep that phone charged!

I didn't know there was a thread for drew. I interviewed a while back in Feb and haven't heard from them.

Holy cow! I just withdrew from Pitt and accepted Drew's offer. Yikes! Everything is happening so fast. The next week is gonna be amazing! Good luck everyone! :luck:
big-buddha.jpg

A little buddha for your sanity ... :love:

fromnowhere said:
I didn't know there was a thread for drew. I interviewed a while back in Feb and haven't heard from them.
Welcome to the neurotic group fromnowhere. There are a number of us February orphans with no word still - hopefully this will all change now that the 15th is here.

gosh guys i don't know about you but i already lost it... i expect no word from drew about my status regardless from all the norma bugging i've done already...

i believe and i hate to sound cynical but i think i won't find out at all! i have started to make plans to attend another school regardless of not knowing my status...i know may 15th is here and we should know this week or something but the wait has already numbed me enough that i accepted the fact that i'm rejected...

to answer ohthesilliness yes i interviewed afternoon for the feb11th group... gosh we are the poor lost applicants in this cycle...

please pump me up with positiveness guys...

Well - we made it. It is now May 15th. Soon, we will know our fate. Of course by "soon" I mean within the next three months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also in the afternoon group that interviewed Feb 11. Last year they accepted a student the day before school begins. I think we still have some time. Has anyone called them recently? I just don't know what to say when i call them.

fromnowhere said:
I was also in the afternoon group that interviewed Feb 11. Last year they accepted a student the day before school begins. I think we still have some time. Has anyone called them recently? I just don't know what to say when i call them.
Hopefully their phone is ringing off the hook with people withdrawing making room for the rest of us. Let's wait until after the 15th before we call.

I just called them. Things sounded busy in the background. Their fax machine was out of paper ... does that mean anything?

Flopotomist said:
Hopefully their phone is ringing off the hook with people withdrawing making room for the rest of us. Let's wait until after the 15th before we call.

i know i was scheduled for next week to call about our status... but then again we keep on getting conflicting status' :eek:

i figured drew will be busy today... and then they have to send the files to LA etc for I don't know what.......

They only gave out 24 acceptances... assuming half are withdrawing.... they can't be that busy right? sigh... I've also lost all hope... of getting into med school this year... nothing but waitlists... next application cycle opens for submission in 2 weeks... don't know if I can put myself thru this again... from a financial standpoint... it will be difficult... and emotionally... this has been such a hard year for me and my family... a lot of things just went wrong... I wish I could just know already so that I can get on with my life... be it going to Drew my #1 choice... or figuring out my next step.

MDhopeful023 said:
i know i was scheduled for next week to call about our status... but then again we keep on getting conflicting status' :eek:

i figured drew will be busy today... and then they have to send the files to LA etc for I don't know what.......
Well... the good news is that EVENTUALLY we will all know something. Let us all look to Prana for inspiration. She eventually got a status - and it was ACCEPTANCE!

so true... but then again the wait it eats you...

eh will see... i have ups and downs unfortunately today i'm down...

lets put some greens here then... :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: 5 :luck: for MAY15th... i'll add another :luck: for each day that passes :laugh:

fromnowhere said:

fromnowhere... did that person who was accepted the day before class on a waitlist??? or were they waiting to here their status?

thxs and again welcome to the neurotic group of unknowns...

OKAY THIS IS the official no notification post for drew... just trying to number who hasn't heard yet...

me, Flop, oh, ewhit, akanene, fromnowhere, mimi2006

= 7 people....

okay on the positive side maybe we are the people that will get accepted once they have everything straightened out this week... ( :thumbup: )

MDhopeful023 said:
OKAY THIS IS the official no notification post for drew... just trying to number who hasn't heard yet...

me, Flop, oh, ewhit, akanene, fromnowhere, mimi2006

= 7 people....

okay on the positive side maybe we are the people that will get accepted once they have everything straightened out this week... ( :thumbup: )

That would be sweet. I hope you are right!

As for calling, I called on Friday. Norma did say we would be hearing in 2 to 3 weeks in the mail. I believe that is the general respone that she gives to everyone. She also said that they are still accepting people. So, I guess the end of May is when we will know.

Good luck to all & congrats to prana for getting in! :D

(adding me!)

you:),Flop,oh, ewhit, akanene, fromnowhere,mimi2006,butmylipshurtrealbad
=8 :luck: :luck: :luck:

ewhitmore said:
Good luck to all & congrats to prana for getting in! :D

Thank you so much! Now I want to share my good (relieved!) energy with everyone who is still waiting ... you all have my support!

OK.. It is now the 16th. Anybody checked in with Norma today to get the scoop?

I just talked with Desiree in the admissions office. She said that after the withdrawals were processed, the class has already been filled. Sounds like the game is over. Off to Loyola I go. Good luck to everybody else!

WHAT! really! Even people who haven't heard of decisions!

That really sucks!

Flopotomist said:
I just talked with Desiree in the admissions office. She said that after the withdrawals were processed, the class has already been filled. Sounds like the game is over. Off to Loyola I go. Good luck to everybody else!

Wow really? Thats kindof surprising...just cause there were only a handful of ppl at the second look...and some ppl definitely withdrew...I guess that probably still doesn't leave that many spaces left.

Its still isn't the end...just cause of the domino effect of waitlists...

Good luck flop!

MDhopeful023 said:
WHAT! really! Even people who haven't heard of decisions!

That really sucks!
Yeah - it does suck, and I am totally bummed out. I suppose that there is an extremely small chance that somebody in the class might pop off of a waitlist somewhere else and open up one slot, but that sounds like a real long shot now. I guess now I just need to get the official letter and this cycle will be complete. Totally crushed. Poor Desiree had to break the news to me on the phone too.

Elastase said:
Wow really? Thats kindof surprising...just cause there were only a handful of ppl at the second look...and some ppl definitely withdrew...I guess that probably still doesn't leave that many spaces left.

Its still isn't the end...just cause of the domino effect of waitlists...

Good luck flop!
yeah - it sounds like they were filling the spaces as they went though, and even after the withdrawals, they are still full. I feel like I just got dumped.

I just called Desiree as well and she told me it is likely that I'm rejected as well since all the spots are filled... I'm so sad :( after 3 months of waiting at least they would have told us that we've been rejected many months before...

I don't get it... why did Norma tell me my file was sent to UCLA and I never heard a decision from them... it totally bites!

So I guess I'm off to a DO school :(

MDhopeful023 said:
I just called Desiree as well and she told me it is likely that I'm rejected as well since all the spots are filled... I'm so sad :( after 3 months of waiting at least they would have told us that we've been rejected many months before...

I don't get it... why did Norma tell me my file was sent to UCLA and I never heard a decision from them... it totally bites!

So I guess I'm off to a DO school :(

I'm sorry MD, thanks for keeping me company over the last 3 months. Also, to the rest of the orphans from February that never heard anything, I'm sorry about this depressing news. Good luck for the remainder of this cycle, and next cycle if necessary~

Hey Flop... you know Desiree felt really bad as well breaking the news that the positions have been filled... she said they aren't offering waitlists as well... so I think the people that lucked out are the people that have heard of decisions... (not us the orphaned no decision crowd)... I think it was overall badly planned out but life is just this way...

Good luck to all and I have to change my name to DOhopeful...

Oh ya nice knowing you too Flop :thumbup:

Flopotomist said:

WOW! This completely sucks! :mad:

I mean on friday Norma said 2-3 weeks. So, to me that means that they still have atleast a few openings that they have to make a decision. I even asked her if I was still in the running for a position. She said yes. I mean I understand they want to keep thier options open but it is bad to give hope to so many people if it is not likely they have any hope at all.

This is so weird & disappointing. I am going to go into official denial mode. I am not going to give up hope until I get the official letter saying "Rejected". Now I am thinking Ignorance was Bliss. Even so, Thanks for the info Flop!

ewhitmore said:
WOW! This completely sucks! :mad:

I mean on friday Norma said 2-3 weeks. So, to me that means that they still have atleast a few openings that they have to make a decision. I even asked her if I was still in the running for a position. She said yes. I mean I understand they want to keep thier options open but it is bad to give hope to so many people if it is not likely they have any hope at all.

This is so weird & disappointing. I am going to go into official denial mode. I am not going to give up hope until I get the official letter saying "Rejected". Now I am thinking Ignorance was Bliss. Even so, Thanks for the info Flop!

I understand ewhitmore... from what i gathered from my convo with desiree is that they were surprised that they had little withdrawals so they are no longer giving out waitlist positions out to people... i understand i actually had to hold back dissappointed tears...

She said that she feels badly for (me) that I had to wait for so long for a decision and that the decision is a rejection... But I hope it's not true at all... we'll see when we get our rejection letters... Oh she said that those will be sent out this week as well... so in theory we will receive them next week or so... (gosh it sucks)

I hate to believe it too, trust me... I really enjoyed Drew and unfortunately it didn't pan out...

This is sad and crushing - this long wait has just allowed me to get my hopes up. Hmm... maybe their fax was out of paper, and they couldn't receive withdrawals yesterday (the first step is denial).

Flopotomist said:
This is sad and crushing - this long wait has just allowed me to get my hopes up. Hmm... maybe their fax was out of paper, and they couldn't receive withdrawals yesterday (the first step is denial).

you know its not over until as a quote goes the fat lady sings .... so if someone did withdraw and send a letter it'll take a while to get there (edited for sp)... SO guys we'll see... as of now i just let out my tears of disappointment flow and now i came back to my senses and realized that we haven't had an official (black and white) letter of rejection...

so guys i think maybe there is a glimmer of hope (god please remove my denial!)

Flopotomist said:
yeah - it sounds like they were filling the spaces as they went though, and even after the withdrawals, they are still full. I feel like I just got dumped.

this freaking upsets me (sorry) they were filling out the withdrawals before with waitlists and didn't draw people from the forgotten group (us)... sorry guys... my sadness turned to anger all of the sudden... damn you drewitis its similar to rabies! +pissed+

my other waitlists don't look hopeful... i guess it's time to start the next cycle's application... i'm not even sure what to improve on... my GPA is decent... dr. aguilera was impressed with my MCAT score and EC's... and I thought my interviews went well... maybe I really have no idea what a good applicant is... I gave this cycle my best effort and well... it sucks that that just wasn't good enough...

My hopes are down. There are still people holding multiple acceptances. I don't really understand what's going on.

:hugs for everyone:

Ugh! This is all my fault! I told Flop to call Drew yesterday!

It is absolutely not over! First of all, think of how many different answers we've heard from Drew over the weeks and months. While this one is a little more depressing, is it the "real" answer? Second, if anyone comes off of a waitlist at a school they liked better than Drew, a spot opens up. This could go on (sorry to say) all summer. For example, I was on Drew's WL last year, along with another interviewee from my day who contacted me through SDN. In June, they did some "housecleaning" and I got rejected off the waitlist. My friend stayed on, and eventually got accepted! When I explained at this year's interview what had happened to me, my interviewer (an adcom member) looked totally baffled, as if she had no idea what I was talking about. I think it's like Schrodinger's cat ... if you call Drew, you can't actually know what is happening. If you don't call Drew, you can discuss on SDN what may or may not be happening.

Hang in there ... :love:

prana_md said:

It is absolutely not over! First of all, think of how many different answers we've heard from Drew over the weeks and months. While this one is a little more depressing, is it the "real" answer? Second, if anyone comes off of a waitlist at a school they liked better than Drew, a spot opens up. This could go on (sorry to say) all summer. For example, I was on Drew's WL last year, along with another interviewee from my day who contacted me through SDN. In June, they did some "housecleaning" and I got rejected off the waitlist. My friend stayed on, and eventually got accepted! When I explained at this year's interview what had happened to me, my interviewer (an adcom member) looked totally baffled, as if she had no idea what I was talking about. I think it's like Schrodinger's cat ... if you call Drew, you can't actually know what is happening. If you don't call Drew, you can discuss on SDN what may or may not be happening.

no it's not your fault prana... it's better that we know than not knowing at all... also too i have to point out that us orphaned kids weren't waitlisted... i don't know exactly what we were all this time but from what desiree said that they aren't even giving out WL spots!

i don't know... there is still a pang of dissappointment here but then again who knows it wasn't norma or dr. aguillera... i don 't know... just plain dissapointed... i think the wait (like flop said) really inflated my hopes... and it was just bad to find out like this...

PS: thanks for the hugs :thumbup:

prana_md said:

LOL - yeah, I agree, there is still a glimmer of hope, the glimmer is just getting dimmer and dimmer. I guess if we consider that so far, none of the information that we have been given has been accurate yet, we can all assume that we were accepted, and just show up to class.

To emphasize this school's weirdness ...
I got my official letter from them in the mail yesterday and it was A XEROX COPY! :confused:

Flopotomist said:
LOL - yeah, I agree, there is still a glimmer of hope, the glimmer is just getting dimmer and dimmer. I guess if we consider that so far, none of the information that we have been given has been accurate yet, we can all assume that we were accepted, and just show up to class.

:laugh: well do you think we will still linger in this thread??? hey flop i was wondering if desiree asked your name or amcas number??? she didn't with me... and i wonder if it is standard for her to tell people that call asking about status' that the class is full and there are no more acceptances to give out....

MDhopeful023 said:
:laugh: well do you think we will still linger in this thread??? hey flop i was wondering if desiree asked your name or amcas number??? she didn't with me... and i wonder if it is standard for her to tell people that call asking about status' that the class is full and there are no more acceptances to give out....
Based on the schools history of giving out information that was uhh less than accurate, I am going to linger here until I am holding an actual rejection. Now that you mention it, Desiree did NOT ask me for my ID number or name, so it is possible that the answer I got was a generic one designed for all people calling in.

I am going to cling to hope until the last possible minute.

Flopotomist said:
Based on the schools history of giving out information that was uhh less than accurate, I am going to linger here until I am holding an actual rejection. Now that you mention it, Desiree did NOT ask me for my ID number or name, so it is possible that the answer I got was a generic one designed for all people calling in.

I am going to cling to hope until the last possible minute.
Hi- I'm still here too- I don't post that much, but I do get excited everytime I see the thread moved up! I was going to call or email or something until I read your guys' posts! I think I would cry if I heard that kind of news over the phone:( but, I too will wait until I actually see the letter!