2021-2022 Charles R. Drew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did y'all submit financial aid materials? Or is the committee meeting to talk about "merit" scholarships only?
I submitted a FAFSA to UCLA before I found out I was admitted, but that was it. And I assume the committee meeting is for merit scholarships only, but that wasn't super clear on the acceptance call.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted a FAFSA to UCLA before I found out I was admitted, but that was it. And I assume the committee meeting is for merit scholarships only, but that wasn't super clear on the acceptance call.
Gotcha! I saw the UCLA DGSOM financial aid materials on the website, but I wasn't sure if there was anything additional for CDU. I sent over a quick email to clarify, so I'll let y'all know if what they say.

Gotcha! I saw the UCLA DGSOM financial aid materials on the website, but I wasn't sure if there was anything additional for CDU. I sent over a quick email to clarify, so I'll let y'all know if what they say.
Ooh, thank you for pointing me towards the DGSOM fin aid materials, because I just saw that I could submit the institutional app and select Drew from the drop down menu. Thanks for letting us know if CDU has a fin aid application.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that got accepted, how long did they give you to decide?
Just wondering because I am assuming we probably won't get another wave until that time period is over.

For those that got accepted, how long did they give you to decide?
Just wondering because I am assuming we probably won't get another wave until that time period is over.
2 weeks to respond in the portal and CYMS tool when that opens

Reactions: 2 users
How many spots do you all think will be left for the next wave? :(

Somewhat random, but I love the vibes of this thread and how supportive everyone seems. Makes it feel like whoever my classmates are they will be awesome. The UCLA Geffen thread terrifies me...

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Somewhat random, but I love the vibes of this thread and how supportive everyone seems. Makes it feel like whoever my classmates are they will be awesome. The UCLA Geffen thread terrifies me...
Dude, this is the best thread AND was the best interview I had! SHOUTOUT to my 12/18 Interviewees!

It was lowkey lit, everyone was like vibing and chatting, way different then all the other interviews where the interviewees were awkwardly staring at each other on zoom.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Sorry, not to stamp out the good vibes in this thread, but just wondering if anyone been able to successfully contact admissions here? I left them an email and voicemail almost 2 weeks ago now with no acknowledgment or response, and I can never get through to them on the phone :\

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, not to stamp out the good vibes in this thread, but just wondering if anyone been able to successfully contact admissions here? I left them an email and voicemail almost 2 weeks ago now with no acknowledgment or response, and I can never get through to them on the phone :\
This is so frustrating. I’ve sent academic updates and a letter but there’s been no acknowledgement of either so far

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent a LOI before getting a decision and never heard back or got an acknowledgment that it was received. Also, the number Ms. Perkins said was her personal number is not the same as the admissions number on the website. I haven't tried her personal number to see if anyone answers (I don't really have any questions at the moment).

i've given up at this point lol
Don't give up. I need your funny vibes as a future classmate.
I have a friend who goes to CDU now and she didn't get in until April.

• Care
I’ve contacted them in the past week via email and got a response.

• Wow
For financial aid, is anyone submitting the institutional aid forms for UCLA that requires parental info? I'm very non-trad and wondering if it's worth it

For financial aid, is anyone submitting the institutional aid forms for UCLA that requires parental info? I'm very non-trad and wondering if it's worth it
I would email or call UCLA fin aid for that. I filled it out, but I am a somewhat trad applicant.

I'd like to be considered for any and all aid, so I'm filling it out. There's a non-custodial parent waiver form that you can request from the financial aid office, if that's applicable. They're pretty responsive if you call and email, though.

Does anyone know if we're still waiting to hear back from PRIME-LA, should we wait to fill out the financial aid form for CDU? Since the form asks us to select only one program?

Anyone hear if they started to put people on waitlist yet?
CYMS opened today, so perhaps that will give them an idea of how many people they should put on the waitlist... Although I, personally, can't make any decisions without being able to compare financial aid packages.

@Mikiras @brown_skin_girl Have y'all heard anything about financial aid/scholarships? First, I heard February, now I'm hearing March/April

Have y'all heard anything about financial aid/scholarships? First, I heard February, now I'm hearing March/April
No I haven't heard anything yet. My understanding is that they want us to select Plan to Enroll for the program to continue to hold our spots. So I did do that, though if May 2nd comes around and they aren't upping an money, I will have to reconsider who I will commit to before that deadline.

I'm going to reach out sometime in March to ask about financial aid because I did see that it worked for someone last year on an X vs Y thread.

No I haven't heard anything yet. My understanding is that they want us to select Plan to Enroll for the program to continue to hold our spots. So I did do that, though if May 2nd comes around and they aren't upping an money, I will have to reconsider who I will commit to before that deadline.

I'm going to reach out sometime in March to ask about financial aid because I did see that it worked for someone last year on an X vs Y thread.,
Sounds totally reasonable. I also wrote myself a note to reach out in March and early April if necessary

CYMS opened today, so perhaps that will give them an idea of how many people they should put on the waitlist... Although I, personally, can't make any decisions without being able to compare financial aid packages.

@Mikiras @brown_skin_girl Have y'all heard anything about financial aid/scholarships? First, I heard February, now I'm hearing March/April
I heard that decisions will be made in March from Dr. Calmes. I think we have to PTE starting today, but it isn’t binding (ie, we can hold other acceptances until May 2).

I heard that decisions will be made in March from Dr. Calmes. I think we have to PTE starting today, but it isn’t binding (ie, we can hold other acceptances until May 2).
Yep yep. She said March-April to play it safe.

Has anyone been able to ask/figure out if all of the preliminary acceptances have been given out/if there's another wave coming? Still have not been able to get through to a single person in their office through phone or email since I forked over $100+ to them lmao

I highly doubt we’ll get any significant movement prior to 4/30. People wanna compare financial aid between schools before making a decision.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I highly doubt we’ll get any significant movement prior to 4/30. People wanna compare financial aid between schools before making a decision.
Damn. That makes sense, I just thought they might not have finished giving out the ~50 prelim acceptances before everyone else is effectively waitlisted. No real way to know rn tho i guess

They give out 50 prelim acceptances? Where did you see that?

I’m under the impression they only gave out 24 acceptances

Reactions: 3 users
They give out 50 prelim acceptances? Where did you see that?

I’m under the impression they only gave out 24 acceptances
Same. Considering the small cohort, I doubt they give out more the the 24 spots they have at a time.

Pretty sure they only give out 24 acceptances. They want accepted applicants to respond in online portals AND CYMS tool, which just opened, so it will take a moment for any movement.

Ooooh ok gotcha. Thought I read that number somewhere in one of these threads but must have been mistaken. Time to buckle in then i guess

Ooooh ok gotcha. Thought I read that number somewhere in one of these threads but must have been mistaken. Time to buckle in then i guess
Thats what we were told at the last Discover CDU event. But that doesnt seem to be the case anymore lol. So I apologize for bringing that misinformation into the thread.

• Wow
Is anyone going to second look?

For those accepted, is there a deadline for the CYMS tool? Just wondering when we should expect to hear anything lol

For those accepted, is there a deadline for the CYMS tool? Just wondering when we should expect to hear anything lol
They gave us 2 weeks from offer of acceptance to accept on their portal. But did not specify when we would have to pick Choose to Enroll on CYMS. Just that we had to. I'm guessing we should have done that as soon as it opened since (for me) CYMS opened 3 weeks after getting accepted. Or maybe they are giving another 2 week period to use CYMS. I'm not sure.

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? How long should we wait before giving up on this school?

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? How long should we wait before giving up on this school?
I don't know how it works exactly but it is possible to be pulled off late. My friend currently goes there and she was pulled off the WL in late April.

I don't know how it works exactly but it is possible to be pulled off late. My friend currently goes there and she was pulled off the WL in late April.
Hello! Slim chance, but do you know if she still received a ~good~ financial aid package despite being admitted in late April?

I just saw! I'm trying not to be hopeful to avoid disappointment lol
The way I’m actively pessimistic as a defense mechanism. I swear I’ll develop healthy coping skills before school starts 😩

Reactions: 3 users
i stalked the thread and it seems like they usu do not respond to emailed app updates — polling the room to see if that’s the universal experience? or if i should call them to meekly ask for a read receipt

i stalked the thread and it seems like they usu do not respond to emailed app updates — polling the room to see if that’s the universal experience? or if i should call them to meekly ask for a read receipt
correct, they seldom do.