Mayo 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePhoenix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alrighty...I've finally submitted my AMCAS so I consider the application process to be started...thus, I'm starting the Mayo 2009 thread (my first choice). So, who's applying to Mayo this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Alrighty...I've finally submitted my AMCAS so I consider the application process to be started...thus, I'm starting the Mayo 2009 thread (my first choice). So, who's applying to Mayo this cycle?

Do you want to make a thread titled "2008-2009 Mayo Secondary Application Thread" so that I can link to it on the main secondary application thread? The secondary for Mayo is probably not available yet, but when it is, I can link to that, too.

I've been making these threads for a lot of individual schools so that people can go there to talk about school specific issues.

Way more than 42, I'd guess. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you want to make a thread titled "2008-2009 Mayo Secondary Application Thread" so that I can link to it on the main secondary application thread? The secondary for Mayo is probably not available yet, but when it is, I can link to that, too.

I've been making these threads for a lot of individual schools so that people can go there to talk about school specific issues.

Well, I'm pretty sure Mayo has a screened secondary (after the look at your application fee) so it might be a while before anyone gets one.

I was actually debating whether or not to apply to Mayo. It was my "15th choice", I guess, but I cut it off at 14 when I submitted my AMCAS.

It seems like a really interesting program with a small tight knit group of students. I'm not entirely sure why I didn't apply besides the fact that I was already applying to 14 other schools and was feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all.

I was actually debating whether or not to apply to Mayo. It was my "15th choice", I guess, but I cut it off at 14 when I submitted my AMCAS.

It seems like a really interesting program with a small tight knit group of students. I'm not entirely sure why I didn't apply besides the fact that I was already applying to 14 other schools and was feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Well there's still time if you change your mind! :)

Wow, 2009! And the saga continues with a new cast.... :) Happy to see you started the thread BluePhoenix! You know, I was at Mayo last Friday, and Marcy mentioned that they were already going through the applications! Good luck guys! :luck::luck::luck:

And shemarty, copingmethods is right. It's far from too late (I added Mayo to my AMCAS at the end of September and somehow managed to get in by the skin of my teeth), but it does look like you have quite the full plate of amazing schools on your list already and an outstanding app to boot. I predict (not so hard to do) that you'll be wildly successful this cycle and will have some very hard (but enviable) decisions to make.

Of course, if anyone has any questions I'm happy to do my best to chime in. Hopefully I'll have some actual hands-on Mayo knowledge starting next month. And I'm going to be a VERY frequent interviewee host (especially for non-trads if I can work it) so hopefully I'll get to meet some of you come interview time! :D

Yay Mayo:love:! You Rock:thumbup:! Please accept me:scared:!

go mayo! don't they do some sort of phone inteview in the application process? could've made that one up...

im applying, not sure if its a first choice though.

go mayo! don't they do some sort of phone inteview in the application process? could've made that one up...

In past years they had a preliminary phone interview where Jane would ask each applicant a number of questions. But last year they just sent out a screened secondary instead. I'm not sure what they're doing this year.

Heads up guys - there's no phone interview or essays this year! I don't have the full details yet, but it sounds like something more akin to Vandy's process, where they screen AMCAS primaries and then send an interview invite along with the secondary (if there is one) if you make the cut.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in!... the Mayo thread.

...Just practicing.

Just curious Shemarty.. how do you already have an interview invite the day after apps were sent out? Did you get an automatic invite?

And I would also like to add....

mmmmmmm:love::love::love:Mayo:love::love::love:

Just curious Shemarty.. how do you already have an interview invite the day after apps were sent out? Did you get an automatic invite?

Are you referring to U Mich? Yes, apparently they send automatic interview invites to applicants who have a high enough MCAT and GPA. I think they also look at your undergrad school, according to some people who posted on the U Mich secondary thread.

I'll second that:

:love:

Haha. I'm guessing Mayo is your top choice?

I'm applying too! Program sounds great, and I have some family out there.

Hope to see you guys there.

Still on the waitlist for class of 08, but I just submitted my amcas.

I am retaking mcat this july so mayo would like me better this time...

maybe enough to let me in?? :scared:

Well, I just submitted my AMCAS application. I know Mayo is a a serious reach for me, but I figured it's worth the money just to say that I gave it a shot.

I'm in! Anybody have any idea when the secondary could get sent out?

Well, I just submitted my AMCAS application. I know Mayo is a a serious reach for me, but I figured it's worth the money just to say that I gave it a shot.

You really never know. It's hard to say what Mayo is looking for. There's a good range of stats and backgrounds in the med students here.

I'm in! Anybody have any idea when the secondary could get sent out?

According to Phoenix above, it sounds like it's coming out with interview invites. (?)

You really never know. It's hard to say what Mayo is looking for. There's a good range of stats and backgrounds in the med students here.

Which is why I feel like I'll have a shot, especially if I get an interview. Mayo just seems to fit everything I'm looking for!

Anybody know how/when to send in the $85 fee? Do we wait for a confirmation e-mail thing or can we just send a check?

Dont they screen the primaries....and then offer you a secondary and the opportunity to pay 85 dollars:rolleyes: if you make that cut???

Dont they screen the primaries....and then offer you a secondary and the opportunity to pay 85 dollars:rolleyes: if you make that cut???
Probably, I have no clue. I thought I remember hearing people complain that you had to pay to even get them to look at your primary. Maybe I'm way off though.....

Probably, I have no clue. I thought I remember hearing people complain that you had to pay to even get them to look at your primary. Maybe I'm way off though.....
maybe you have to pay them in order to even get the secondary??? Who knows, whats another 85 dollars.:rolleyes:

I could be wrong, but I think last year you added Mayo to your primary application, and then got an email from Mayo asking for you to submit the $85 if you wanted your application considered. After you submitted the fee, then they would screen your application and either send you a secondary or.....not. Then they would review your secondary and send you an invite or.....not.

But this year they're not doing screening via phone interview (like they did in the years before the last year) OR essays (which they did last year), so there may be no secondary whatsoever. Or perhaps there will be a secondary sent along with the interview invite (like Vandy). You guys will be the guinea pigs of this new process apparently.

Has someone checked the recent MSAR? Does it say there is a secondary application fee for Mayo in there? I'd go by that....

Has someone checked the recent MSAR? Does it say there is a secondary application fee for Mayo in there? I'd go by that....
Secondary Application Required: No
Fee: Yes, $85

Estimated Number of New Entrants: 50

50 = 42 MD, 6 MD/PhD, 2 MD/OMS
They don't break it down in the MSAR. Were there 42 total matriculants last year, or just 42 MDs? Looks to me like there were 42 total.

They don't break it down in the MSAR. Were there 42 total matriculants last year, or just 42 MDs? Looks to me like there were 42 total.

There's 42 MD only in the incoming class...it was increased by 6 for the entering 2008 year.

What about the number of letters? As in, how many letters of recommendation does Mayo require?

This might seems like a strange question to me, but:

If I need three letters, and I'll have one from a professor I've had in about 4-5 classes (included a month abroad in a history/philosophy of science class), my research and academic advisor in the department, and one more... Problem is, I'm worred about the third person I'd ask: He is my supervisor for my computer help desk job I've been at now for three years and a full-time summer (and in another area near him another full-time summer), but I'm worred about his GRAMMAR, of all things. Would the admissions committee(s) frown upon letters from people who may have slight grammar issues? Or do they focus mainly or solely on the content of the letters?

Other than him, I don't have anyone that I would feel ABSOLUTELY comfortable asking, or someone I know and with whom I've worked for a while...

What about the number of letters? As in, how many letters of recommendation does Mayo require?

This might seems like a strange question to me, but:

If I need three letters, and I'll have one from a professor I've had in about 4-5 classes (included a month abroad in a history/philosophy of science class), my research and academic advisor in the department, and one more... Problem is, I'm worred about the third person I'd ask: He is my supervisor for my computer help desk job I've been at now for three years and a full-time summer (and in another area near him another full-time summer), but I'm worred about his GRAMMAR, of all things. Would the admissions committee(s) frown upon letters from people who may have slight grammar issues? Or do they focus mainly or solely on the content of the letters?

Other than him, I don't have anyone that I would feel ABSOLUTELY comfortable asking, or someone I know and with whom I've worked for a while...

Is he foreign? If he is, or has a foreign sounding name, I imagine they'll overlook it so long as it doesn't sound like it was written by a small child. If it's a great letter though, obviously written by someone that knows you well and thinks highly of you, I imagine they'll be able to overlook a few grammatical errors.

Is he foreign? If he is, or has a foreign sounding name, I imagine they'll overlook it so long as it doesn't sound like it was written by a small child. If it's a great letter though, obviously written by someone that knows you well and thinks highly of you, I imagine they'll be able to overlook a few grammatical errors.

No, he's not foreign. At the help desk I work at we also do documentation and stuff, and of all the documents I've seen him write, all the IMs he's sent me, and all the other things I've seen him write/type he hasn't shown the BEST grammar. It's not terrible and in almost all situations you can understand what he's saying, but the word choice, ordering, punctuation, etc. are sometimes off. But he's a smart person nonetheless; very down-to-earth.

I'm applying Mayo 2009 as well... for the LORs, are they all required to be from someone that has actually taught you?

Good luck everyone :)

Mayo is a very special place.

I dunno guys, my practice MCAT sections are lower than I'd like (10-11 or so)... Hopefully if I get a 30 Mayo can look past that...

P.S.: Phoenix, when you say you hope to have hands-on Mayo experience upcoming, what do you mean? I'm just curious, haha.

P.S.: Phoenix, when you say you hope to have hands-on Mayo experience upcoming, what do you mean? I'm just curious, haha.

Just that I hope to offer more helpful and direct information (rather than hearsay) once I'm actually at Mayo attending classes. Speaking of which, I'm visiting Rochester right now, and apparently it's Rochester Fest for anyone looking for a parade tonight. :)

I dunno guys, my practice MCAT sections are lower than I'd like (10-11 or so)... Hopefully if I get a 30 Mayo can look past that...

Its probably a bad idea to get your sights set on one school, even if you were a 4.0/43....just keep your mind open and youll be fine;)

Its probably a bad idea to get your sights set on one school, even if you were a 4.0/43....just keep your mind open and youll be fine;)

I know. That's going to be my biggest problem this year. I've always been a "goals" type of person: With my GPA, job statuses, schools, etc. It's hard enough for me to add the other Minnesota schools to my list this year, and it's been incredibly difficult just thinking about going out of state, period. I'm not opposed to coming back here (to my undergrad) next year, getting more volunteer and clinical experience, taking more classes, and growing up (still). Thus, I'm not sure I want to go all out and apply broadly. Plus I'd save money and time. I know that limiting my schools limits my opportunities, but I'm not convinced I would the happiest going out of state. So I figured I'd apply to Mayo and the other schools, and if I get into Mayo or another school with which I'd be happy, great, but if not I'm willing to round out my application and resume more fully next year and aim for those schools again... Is that reasonable?

My advisor is trying to discourage me (and everyone else) from applying to Mayo, saying that you can only get in if you "know people..." :idea:

My advisor is trying to discourage me (and everyone else) from applying to Mayo, saying that you can only get in if you "know people..." :idea:

Not true. There's a good number of the class that et in without knowing people at Mayo. I'm not saying that it doesn't help...but I know people in the med school that got in that definitely had no connections to the school (I work there right now).

Not true. There's a good number of the class that et in without knowing people at Mayo. I'm not saying that it doesn't help...but I know people in the med school that got in that definitely had no connections to the school (I work there right now).

It's unfortunate that there is any of that at all, but I understand that it happens. It's good to hear from someone on the inside that all the hoopla, hype, and discouragement isn't always warranted or necessarily true.

Of course, I also understand that, combined with those that do know someone on the admissions committee (for example), there is a seemingly infinite amount of people with better grades, MCAT scores, and extracurriculars than me that will make it very hard for me to get it. However, I suppose I also know that medical schools like community, and I feel that a community such as Mayo would be great for me, and I really resonate with the mission statements and ideals (given on the Mayo website). I really feel like I would fit in at Mayo.

This gives me hope that I have a chance. :)

Last edited:
Hey (normal) Phoenix,

Based on the news that Mayo may not send secondaries without interview invites, would you recommend sending letters of intent after your primary application?

Additionally,

does anyone know how fast Mayo is, in general, in reviewing applications and either sending secondaries (or interviews for this cycle, I guess) or rejections?

im applying! i got interested in mayo during high school... i heard they have the applicant pool of harvard but only like 40ish seats for just MD... id be so excited if i got a chance to interview!

It's recently come to my attention that there are no White Castle's in the vicinity of Rochester. While this isn't a deal-breaker for me at all, it's still something I'm very worried about.

What are some great restaurants nearby and does anyone know more about the curriculum? I remember reading that one subject or block is studied at a time and then there's a 2 week break between blocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.