2008-2009 University of Virginia (UVA) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? [SIZE=-1](300 words.)[/SIZE]

How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? [SIZE=-1](300 words.)

[/SIZE]What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician, and how will you address this? [SIZE=-1](300 words.)[/SIZE]

Members don't see this ad.

Hooray for Virginia!

You all are WAY too fast! This popped up in my inbox all of 3 minutes before it showed up on SDN!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, someone posted it on the 2008-2009 secondary application thread --> I read it and immediately opened the UVA secondary thread!

I should ... go and ... do actual work now... haha :D

Good luck applying to UVA!

Haha... you're doing great! Someone should sticky your original 2008-2009 Secondary Thread, so that the links will always be available to the individual threads.

I just went to the admissions office and submitted my in-state form and FAP waiver. I think the woman at the desk was pretty surprised :laugh:

I'll do the essays today. They look nice.

I just went to the admissions office and submitted my in-state form and FAP waiver. I think the woman at the desk was pretty surprised :laugh:

I'll do the essays today. They look nice.

Yeah, I'll download the in-state form tonight. Wish I had an FAP waiver too! It's annoying because my parents make too much money but of course I have to pay for my applications myself...

Good luck on your apps!

Just a lil' question about UVA. Is the medical school campus kind of enclosed and on its own? .

Also how much of a research focus does it have? It's got a pretty high research rank (23) but the website doesn't focus much on it. They mainly talk about patient care.

Just a lil' question about UVA. Is the medical school campus kind of enclosed and on its own? .

Also how much of a research focus does it have? It's got a pretty high research rank (23) but the website doesn't focus much on it. They mainly talk about patient care.

I've only visited the campus a few times, but the medical campus is ~1 mile from the undergraduate campus. I think it's pretty separate as far as I could tell.

I'm assuming they've got to have a pretty strong research focus to be ranked so high - they have a lot of special programs for those wanting to do research (and even offer an elective research year after second or third year that you can do without having to pay tuition).

What the heck qualifies as a "greatest personal challenge?" I realize this is just a variation on the interview technique of "tell me your greatest weakness" but I am seriously drawing blanks.

Anybody willing to share their thoughts on how to approach this question, please PM me...

The Medical School is basically on the undergrad campus and is a stones throw from many of the undergrad buildings.

UVA offers a couple of different research programs/dual degree programs for med students and has a pretty well known research program for those who are planning to go into primary care.

Where do you find the in-state form? I haven't received a secondary yet; is it there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, their secondary application has only been open for one day, and it's already down for maintenance?

UVA said:
The Supplimental Application is currently offline for maintenance. Please try your query again shortly.
July 1, 2008 10:20:42 am

Hope it's back up soon. I was going to submit mine tonight. And I need that in-state residency form (does anyone know if it's somewhere else on the website?)

Wow, their secondary application has only been open for one day, and it's already down for maintenance?

Hope it's back up soon. I was going to submit mine tonight. And I need that in-state residency form (does anyone know if it's somewhere else on the website?)

I was going to submit mine today too. I logged into my application this morning and was about to copy my essays into the form when I noticed that one of the prompts was different. Instead of the diversity question, it asked where you see yourself in 10 years. Hoping that I wouldn't have to draft another essay, I called the admissions office and they were pretty shocked to hear that I was seeing last year's secondary. She told me that they may have to e-mail everyone about it. About 15 minutes later I logged on and the secondary site was down haha.

I was going to submit mine today too. I logged into my application this morning and was about to copy my essays into the form when I noticed that one of the prompts was different. Instead of the diversity question, it asked where you see yourself in 10 years. Hoping that I wouldn't have to draft another essay, I called the admissions office and they were pretty shocked to hear that I was seeing last year's secondary. She told me that they may have to e-mail everyone about it. About 15 minutes later I logged on and the secondary site was down haha.
Interesting to hear. I doubt they change the essay. It should be the diversity one. At least it better be because I just wrote mine.

For the personal challenge question, how "personal" are you guys getting?
I'm thinking of talking about ethical issues with patients from my own experiences... and what I've learned. Or does it have to be more personal than that (talking about family or something)

I'm thinking of talking about ethical issues with patients from my own experiences... and what I've learned. Or does it have to be more personal than that (talking about family or something)

I would stay clear of the family/"personal" issues. I think the question is to gauge whether you've contemplated what it's like to be a physician and the personal issues associated with being one. I would think it's fine to offer instances in which you have had issues during your experience in the medical field and how you overcame them, and how you'll use said experiences to overcome X problems as a doctor.

It seems like UVA may be having a little prob with there website? has anyone else had their primary verified my AMCAS and not received an email from UVA?:confused:

I just submitted, but I sent in my credit card payment before submitting my app. I only realized after I submitted my payment that they requested us to pay the fee after the application was submitted. I hope this doesn't cause a problem...

Well I got an email saying my supplementary application was received. They said I would be considered complete when they received my In-State Tuition application and LORs.

For those of you who are in-state applicants, did you get an email when your In-State Tuition application was received? I sent mine yesterday and I'm wondering if I should call sometime next week to make sure they got it.

Last edited:
Well I got an email saying my supplementary application was received. They said I would be considered complete when they received my In-State Tuition application and LORs.

For those of you in-state applicants, did you get an email when your In-State Tuition application was received? I sent mine yesterday and I'm wondering if I should call sometime next week to make sure they got it.
I would call just to make sure. I handed mine in in-person, so I know they got it.

I'm filling out this secondary now. You might say I should of thought of this beforehand, but why exactly should I be interested in UVA? I'm an OOS that applied mostly because of the large % of OOS in the class. I'm poking around the website and the factbook to see what qualities the school that I should reference in this essay. From what I see so far, most of the statements on the website are pretty vague and general about a dedication to research and patient care. Certainly I see the school is fairly highly ranked and has a higher than average accepted MCAT/GPA, but what else makes this place a good school?

Get as personal as you want, just make sure you distance yourself from the sympathy trail. When I applied, I wrote about my biological father, and how although I disagreed with his decisions as a father, I overcame that grudge and 'somewhat' forgave him. I then stressed how this experience has made me more open minded and forgiving. They accepted me, so I think it did well :)

I'm filling out this secondary now. You might say I should of thought of this beforehand, but why exactly should I be interested in UVA? I'm an OOS that applied mostly because of the large % of OOS in the class. I'm poking around the website and the factbook to see what qualities the school that I should reference in this essay. From what I see so far, most of the statements on the website are pretty vague and general about a dedication to research and patient care. Certainly I see the school is fairly highly ranked and has a higher than average accepted MCAT/GPA, but what else makes this place a good school?

It's been around for a while. If I remember correctly, it was one of the first medical schools in the nation and was the first to employ a full-time professor. Consequently, the school has a lot of history and residency programs acknowledge this type of prestige. The campus is also beautiful and very historic; Thomas Jefferson founded the University and actually included the Medical School in it's original blueprint. Furthermore, the "Lawn" is a highly recognizable landmark in America. Thus, the school is in a beautiful setting, which is something all of you should consider when applying to medical schools. Rankings may vary, but in the end, the level of education at top tier schools will be comparable, and the environment and student body of each respective medical school should be the biggest factor in choosing where to go. The Undergraduate school is also great, and the school spirit transcends into professional schools. There will be your share of tailgating for football games, and UVa won the ACC in basketball a couple of years ago. With that being said, it's not your usual 'strictly-academic-based' school (like Harvard, Yale, and etc.).

But if you're concerned about rankings, plenty of faculty members make the 'America's Top Doctors List,' and the Hospitals are highly ranked among the nations elite. They are also building this brand new building with new lecture halls and labs; it's supposed to be one of the nation's most technologically advancements (for M1 and M2 students).

UVa also emphasizes a cultural student body. Not necessarely in the sense of ethnicity, but in terms of interests and life experiences; it's one of their top priorities in the recruitment/admissions process.

Last edited:
And for those concerned with Charlottesville being too much of a college town, reconsider. I went to school in Gainesville: the epitome of a college town. The whole town revolved around the Gators and life did not exist a couple miles outside the campus. Charlottesville has a beautiful historic Downtown with a metropolitan vibe. It's full of little shops and narrow streets with a bunch of people walking around. Richmond and DC aren't too far away, and there are plenty of natural parks surrounding Charlottesville. There is also a skii resort close by.

Good posts dog0.

Charlottesville is a great place to live. It may be small for some, but in undergrad none of my "city" friends had problems staying busy or finding things to do. If you're from a small community like me, it's not overwhelming. It's a good blend, and is consistently rated one of the top places in the country to live.

As for the med school, the true pass/fail system is nice. I've also heard from M3's and M4's that rotations are very well done, especially surgical rotations if you do them in SW VA. He was probably exaggerating, but an M4 at second look noted that "if you do well at Virginia, then you can do a residency anywhere in America, especially the South." Also, the administration is very responsive to student feedback and is constantly revisiting its curriculum to figure out how to teach medicine better. Overall, I found it very impressive.

But I'm a bit biased. :)

Is there any way to check your application status online?? I signed in, but i didn't see a place for it.

Is there any way to check your application status online?? I signed in, but i didn't see a place for it.

If memory serves me correctly, they email you to tell you your file is complete.

If memory serves me correctly, they email you to tell you your file is complete.

I received an email today notifying me that my application is complete.

Secondary submitted: 7/7
AMCAS LOE verification: 7/17
Complete at UVA: 7/21

Best of luck to All.

you people are WAY too fast...WAY too neurotic...and GOOD TO HAVE YOU ON-BOARD!

I agree. I think UVA had me checked off in mid-November?

So, you chose UVA over NYU?

you people are WAY too fast...WAY too neurotic...and GOOD TO HAVE YOU ON-BOARD!

Fast...yes, neurotic...maybe. Truthfully, I have to be done with the med apps paperwork early as I have my thesis review in the Fall and dissertation due after that. I am very happy to be done this early. As a Wahoo ('03), UVA is very high on my list. I agree with the previous posts that C'ville is a delightful place to live. I would love to return for 4 more years.

I'm having a hard time with the "greatest personal challenge as a physician" essay. I just don't know what to write about! :(

Some of the issues that physicians deal with on a regular basis are: death, child abuse, drug abuse, loss of quality of life, an overly litigious society, ethical dilemmas, time management issues, uncontrolled/uncertain work hours, non-compliant patients, and under insured patients. Any of these issues can be very challenging to deal with on a personal level. The important points are to demonstrate that you have some idea of what you are getting yourself into, are self aware, and can communicate effectively. Best of luck guys.

Some historic details about UVA:
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/about/factbook/ch6.cfm

Also, for personal information and for historical significance, read up on what the Flexner Report was (UVA did well early on).

The medical school and hospital are attached to the UVA campus. However, there are several medical buildings that are scattered through the town. The Fontaine Research Park (a set of research buildings as well as outpatient clinics and a large Health South Rehab center) is about 1.5 miles away, and several other outpatient centers are 1-2 miles away. Some highlights about UVA are its reputation, a pass-fail system during the didactic years, the MSSRP (research program), increasing availability of lectures and notes in electronic formats, a strong clerkship experience with well scheduled didactics throughout, pool of patients from all over VA, northern NC, WV, and southern Maryland, full representation of sub-specialties with very few fellowships unavailable, a flexible 4th years, and an impressive match list. Some flaws of the school are a lack of parking, a very traditional approach to education, lack of/poor student facilities (lacking appropriate study spaces & call rooms, the lounge is a 5-10 minute walk from the hospital), and a weaker ED/trauma experience than one would get from many urban areas. The most important thing is that going to this school will not prevent you from achieving any career goal you have.

Some historic details about UVA:
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/about/factbook/ch6.cfm

Also, for personal information and for historical significance, read up on what the Flexner Report was (UVA did well early on).

The medical school and hospital are attached to the UVA campus. However, there are several medical buildings that are scattered through the town. The Fontaine Research Park (a set of research buildings as well as outpatient clinics and a large Health South Rehab center) is about 1.5 miles away, and several other outpatient centers are 1-2 miles away. Some highlights about UVA are its reputation, a pass-fail system during the didactic years, the MSSRP (research program), increasing availability of lectures and notes in electronic formats, a strong clerkship experience with well scheduled didactics throughout, pool of patients from all over VA, northern NC, WV, and southern Maryland, full representation of sub-specialties with very few fellowships unavailable, a flexible 4th years, and an impressive match list. Some flaws of the school are a lack of parking, a very traditional approach to education, lack of/poor student facilities (lacking appropriate study spaces & call rooms, the lounge is a 5-10 minute walk from the hospital), and a weaker ED/trauma experience than one would get from many urban areas. The most important thing is that going to this school will not prevent you from achieving any career goal you have.
Also the Remote Area Medical clinic during the summer each year.

I'm having a hard time with the "greatest personal challenge as a physician" essay. I just don't know what to write about! :(
That makes two of us. I think I hate this essay more than any other I've seen. However, AlternateSome1's post really helped :thumbup:

I remember essays like this being common. I think Pitt and Colorado had the same exact essay.

I remember essays like this being common. I think Pitt and Colorado had the same exact essay.
I hope so... after I sat around twiddling my thumbs for a while I was finally inspired and wrote a pretty good essay :D

So with the "personal challenge" essay...

There seems to be two directions you can take this and both have been mentioned.

You can take "personal challenge" to mean a challenge that is unique to you, or a weakness.

or

You can address challenges that are characteristic of practicing medicine like AlternateSome1 mentioned.

I was just wondering what angle everybody is taking. Do you think one is better? Should you do both? What do you think?

I just wrote about what I think really will be my biggest personal challenge: balancing time between career and family. I explained my understanding of the work and dedication it takes to get through school and residency and the demands of a busy practice. I described how I wanted to be around for my wife and children.

I then said how I planned to meet that challenge. I know a physician's lifestyle isn't the best choice for being a family man. That said, I can manage my time depending on specialty, plain ol' organizational skills, type of practice, research, administrative/academic roles, etc.

I got an e-mail from UVA today telling me that I'm complete, but how do I know if they've received my in-state form?? The e-mail made no mention of it.

I got an e-mail from UVA today telling me that I'm complete, but how do I know if they've received my in-state form?? The e-mail made no mention of it.

I would assume that would be required to be "complete."

Ugh. I really like UVA but these essays are leaving me uninspired. It's the only secondary I'm still sitting on and I got it ages ago! :scared:

I just wrote about what I think really will be my biggest personal challenge: balancing time between career and family. I explained my understanding of the work and dedication it takes to get through school and residency and the demands of a busy practice. I described how I wanted to be around for my wife and children.

I then said how I planned to meet that challenge. I know a physician's lifestyle isn't the best choice for being a family man. That said, I can manage my time depending on specialty, plain ol' organizational skills, type of practice, research, administrative/academic roles, etc.
Exactly what I wrote. :thumbup:

Pretty much the same thing I wrote too, but I also talked about balance in other aspects of medicine as well. Hopefully UVA doesn't mind reading essays about "balance"!

Exactly what I wrote. :thumbup:

You guys just saved some time on a couple of other secondaries. I remember DUKE and some other schools asking about the biggest challenge physicians face :p

I just pasted my responses into their boxes, and then I hit the save button to view a print friendly version of my application.
I can't get it to display my hard returns!
All three of my responses are two paragraphs, and it looks like I wrote one huge one for all of them.
Did this happen to the rest of you? Did you just submit it with it looking like just one paragraph or is there a way to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.