2008-2009 Georgetown Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? Please note: You have a maximum of 5000 characters (about 1 single-spaced page in Times New Roman font) to complete this essay.)

Members don't see this ad.

Whoever's applying to Georgetown, a good idea is to talk about the religious nature of the school, or more importantly, the philosophy behind it (treat all). Do some research on this before writing your essay (the actual georgetown med website is great for their philosophy) and then try to match that philosophy to your own life.

I'm wondering if I should be trying to approach the 5000 character limit. I'm at 1150 characters right now and have managed to say just about everything I want to.

Will the adcom find this reasonable, or are they looking for long-winded praises of the school that are 3 times the length of what I have?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if I should be trying to approach the 5000 character limit. I'm at 1150 characters right now and have managed to say just about everything I want to.

Will the adcom find this reasonable, or are they looking for long-winded praises of the school that are 3 times the length of what I have?

As cliche as it may be, it's the quality and not quantity. If you feel that you've said everything you need to say, let it be.

As cliche as it may be, it's the quality and not quantity. If you feel that you've said everything you need to say, let it be.

Sounds good. For general information, my 1150 characters in my word processor became 1730 when I pasted it into the form.

Has everyone been able to reach the website using that link that was sent in the email? Mine says "problem loading page" :(

Has everyone been able to reach the website using that link that was sent in the email? Mine says "problem loading page" :(
Copy the link text. The link location is wrong.

ditto, mine says the same thing ;-(

An aside -- I've heard previous secondaries from G-Town were quite dense, with 5-7 short essays...is this true and this year's is a change from the past? Just curious.

Can someone PM me the Georgetown link so that I can post it on the main index? I don't have it yet, though I might have just overlooked it in the 8 pages of that thread...

Do people usually use up all 5000 characters? I don't think that I can write more than one or two paragraphs at most.

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto, mine says the same thing ;-(

An aside -- I've heard previous secondaries from G-Town were quite dense, with 5-7 short essays...is this true and this year's is a change from the past? Just curious.

You may be right, but this is the same essay question (only essay question) that they have used since at least the 2007 cycle.

Do people usually use up all 5000 characters? I don't think that I can write more than one or two paragraphs at most.

im right up there with you... man, georgetown is not even close to being a top choice for me... :boom:

Again, as I said, it's about quality and not quantity. If you feel that you have made your point in a paragraph or two, don't drag on, readers will see it through because the essay will becoming boring. During my interview, I met people who used all 5000 characters and others who wrote one paragraph. We were all in the same place to be interviewed.

so im working on the essay and im wondering something. i have been choosing med schools based on whethger there is a chem phd program at that school for my boyfriend. and georgetown med and graduate are on the same campus (please correct me if i am wrong) and i was wondering whether i should mention that in my essay? i wouldnt say boyfriend, but significant other probably.. or is there a better word?

so im working on the essay and im wondering something. i have been choosing med schools based on whethger there is a chem phd program at that school for my boyfriend. and georgetown med and graduate are on the same campus (please correct me if i am wrong) and i was wondering whether i should mention that in my essay? i wouldnt say boyfriend, but significant other probably.. or is there a better word?

I'm going to Georgetown Med this fall, and from what I understand you would probably be much better off not mentioning anything about a boyfriend/significant other and stick to just writing about the medical school.

Mrs. Sullivan, who reads all the essays, is adamant that 85% of all medical schools are the same, but that there is a 15% "uniqueness" factor. Frankly, they want to know if the applicants know what separates Georgetown from other schools. So basically, I wouldn't find any information about your boyfriend/significant other to be too relevant, and it might be interpreted the wrong way (i.e. your only picking a school because of location). Just my $0.02, though, so it's ultimately up to you....

I'm going to Georgetown Med this fall, and from what I understand you would probably be much better off not mentioning anything about a boyfriend/significant other and stick to just writing about the medical school.

Mrs. Sullivan, who reads all the essays, is adamant that 85% of all medical schools are the same, but that there is a 15% "uniqueness" factor. Frankly, they want to know if the applicants know what separates Georgetown from other schools. So basically, I wouldn't find any information about your boyfriend/significant other to be too relevant, and it might be interpreted the wrong way (i.e. your only picking a school because of location). Just my $0.02, though, so it's ultimately up to you....
thats essentially what i was thinking... thank you for your help.
i wrote about their independent study requirement and how in their mission statement they state that they expect their ."students [to] establish habits of self-education that will continue throughout their careers," and related that to a personal story of mine that made me realize that the self study approach works very well for me.
do you think that is enough/good? thank you for the advice! :)

Last edited:
Ok, I know this sounds terrible and really, I'd be honored to go to Gtown, but I've been doing some research on the school and I have yet to really find anything unique about it that I can address. Any thoughts??

Ok, I know this sounds terrible and really, I'd be honored to go to Gtown, but I've been doing some research on the school and I have yet to really find anything unique about it that I can address. Any thoughts??

It's kind of tough, isn't it? Having to discuss why you're choosing one medical school over another seems about as easy as discussing why you choose one refrigerator over another (this one is $1400 and keeps things cold, and this one is $3200 and keeps things cold, but it has a little shelf for eggs...).

Sophism aside, I think that you are really hoping to identify some part of you that is congruent with some part of the place you're applying to. I, for instance, have a good background and interest in the humanities, and Gtown seems to be pretty into that whole thing.

It's kind of tough, isn't it? Having to discuss why you're choosing one medical school over another seems about as easy as discussing why you choose one refrigerator over another (this one is $1400 and keeps things cold, and this one is $3200 and keeps things cold, but it has a little shelf for eggs...).

Sophism aside, I think that you are really hoping to identify some part of you that is congruent with some part of the place you're applying to. I, for instance, have a good background and interest in the humanities, and Gtown seems to be pretty into that whole thing.

Haha that's a fantastic way to put it. Well, I'm half-hispanic and half-Italian, grew up in Rome, went to Catholic school there...I was thinking "I'm so catholic, I'm practically baby Jesus" as my first sentence. But now the "you have a little shelf for eggs and none of the other schools I'm applying to do" is another great thesis. Decisions, decisions...

I know that there are a couple of Gtown students who have been following this thread, so I direct this question to them in addition to the other applicants. I am aware that Georgetown is a Jesuit institution, and that they have historically had conflict with the extent to which they are a religious institution. I am personally a nonbeliever. Is this going to be a problem?

Also in regards to the religious affiliation of Georgetown - I had a strong Southern Baptist upbringing, and now both of my parents are working full-time in the ministry. Would this be something I should include in my secondary essay even though Baptist is completely and totally different from Jesuit?

Also in regards to the religious affiliation of Georgetown - I had a strong Southern Baptist upbringing, and now both of my parents are working full-time in the ministry. Would this be something I should include in my secondary essay even though Baptist is completely and totally different from Jesuit?

Likewise, I am an active Christian (also not a catholic)....however, I think that the core values which are results of both religions are very similar and that is something you should mention....focus on service, humanities, community, treating the whole individual, awareness of spiritual and emotional aspects of health, etc and how your religious background ties you personally with those values.....you dont really have to even mention your religious affiliation

Last edited:
You'd think that an institution that prides itself with educating the next generation of doctors 'who will change the world' could come up with a less mundane essay question. For all the genius medical schools asks of us I wonder who they hired to come up with this topic...

...sorry, its just frustrating.

If you get an interview at Georgetown, you'll understand why they want you to write that essay.

StangsForLife said it perfectly and I quote him "Mrs. Sullivan, who reads all the essays, is adamant that 85% of all medical schools are the same, but that there is a 15% "uniqueness" factor. Frankly, they want to know if the applicants know what separates Georgetown from other schools."

Just submitted mine. I focused on treating the whole patient, being located in DC, and being able to continue research.

Just submitted mine. I focused on treating the whole patient, being located in DC, and being able to continue research.

That's def the big thing for Georgetown!

Anyone having problems with the website right now?

anybody else want to write:

"georgetown will cryogenically freeze me to be thawed at a later date, thus ultimately preparing me to be a physician for the future?":D

sorry, i'm trying to write a response and coming up with nothing right now.

I know that there are a couple of Gtown students who have been following this thread, so I direct this question to them in addition to the other applicants. I am aware that Georgetown is a Jesuit institution, and that they have historically had conflict with the extent to which they are a religious institution. I am personally a nonbeliever. Is this going to be a problem?

I just graduated from Gtown undegrad and was accepted into the med school as well (but going somewhere else). So this reply really goes to everyone wondering about Georgetown being a Jesuit institution. I am Jewish and loved attending Georgetown. Yes it is a Jesuit school, but that has never meant it has been told or implied that I need to be Catholic. The only conflict that I know with Gtown being a Jesuit institutions is that abortions are not preformed on campus. However, the procedure is still taught and explained in the needs of a medical education (with no religious ideologies attached). If your personal faith (whatever that is) differs from the Gtown, thats fine. Really the idea behind being a Jesuits institution is cura personalis or care of the whole person. And if you believe that, Georgetown is a great place.

... Really the idea behind being a Jesuits institution is cura personalis or care of the whole person. And if you believe that, Georgetown is a great place.

i cannot find information on that anywhere on their website.. help please...:confused:

ah found it, but quick question. i am writing about the treating whole person thing and am wondering if the following story actually makes sense with the approach:

.Whenever I would get sick as a child, my parents and grandparents always focused on treating all of me, not just my symptoms; they did not give me a Tylenol for my fever, but made me drink cups and cups of tea with honey and kept my entire body, down to my toes, incredibly warm. .

Last edited:
i cannot find information on that anywhere on their website.. help please...:confused:

ah found it, but quick question. i am writing about the treating whole person thing and am wondering if the following story actually makes sense with the approach:

.Whenever I would get sick as a child, my parents and grandparents always focused on treating all of me, not just my symptoms; they did not give me a Tylenol for my fever, but made me drink cups and cups of tea with honey and kept my entire body, down to my toes, incredibly warm. .

Can you link to where you found it on the website?

I think your story makes sense with the "theme," but I think it would be a stronger example if you could support that with things you saw while doing your clinical ECs.

Yikes. If you don't meet those numbers, then I would strongly encourage you to save your $130. That was one of the most brutal conversations I have had.

What numbers and conversation are you referring to? :confused:

3.6 science GPA and a 10 in each section. My science GPA is below that and apparently a large percentage of students who receive an interview or acceptance are above that. I don't see how the average doesn't increase then, but anyways, upward trend doesn't seem to count for much. I felt more discouraged then encouraged to complete the secondary. I worked so hard on the secondary essay too. Overall, I did not get a good vibe.

3.6 science GPA and a 10 in each section. My science GPA is below that and apparently a large percentage of students who receive an interview or acceptance are above that. I don't see how the average doesn't increase then, but anyways, upward trend doesn't seem to count for much. I felt more discouraged then encouraged to complete the secondary. I worked so hard on the secondary essay too. Overall, I did not get a good vibe.

Sorry to hear about that... hopefully they won't care too much about my 9 in PS. Are you a reapplicant? I thought you were applying this cycle.

Sorry to hear about that... hopefully they won't care too much about my 9 in PS. Are you a reapplicant? I thought you were applying this cycle.
Yes, I am a reapplicant, but it is my first time to Georgetown. I just won't be submitting my secondary to them. My numbers aren't as good as yours so I'm sure you'll be okay.

Sorry, I took it the wrong way and was letting my emotions affect my judgment. Let me clarify:

Georgetown is probably one of the few schools that take a good amount of time going over the entire application, i.e. LORs, personal statement, the essay, extracurriculars, etc. However, if you don't meet those numbers, while they still look at your overall application, there are many people who meet those standards and have a great overall application. Therefore, it's a slim chance I am guessing that you would get an interview if you are below those numbers. For me, I didn't feel encouraged to apply after she knew my situation and numbers. I'm guessing if my numbers were better, then there would have been a stronger inclination for me to apply. Then again, she can't really say to or not to apply.

can anyone successfully login now

I was able to before.. but I can't anymore, even after using Forgot Password and entering the password I received

3700 characters and I'm done.

Last edited:
Has anyone had their LORs marked as received by Georgetown?? I haven't yet and my letters have been in AMCAS since 6/24...

Has anyone had their LORs marked as received by Georgetown?? I haven't yet and my letters have been in AMCAS since 6/24...

They sent me an email today saying I was complete and my letters were only marked as received on AMCAS on Wednesday...

I just graduated from Gtown undegrad and was accepted into the med school as well (but going somewhere else). So this reply really goes to everyone wondering about Georgetown being a Jesuit institution. I am Jewish and loved attending Georgetown. Yes it is a Jesuit school, but that has never meant it has been told or implied that I need to be Catholic. The only conflict that I know with Gtown being a Jesuit institutions is that abortions are not preformed on campus. However, the procedure is still taught and explained in the needs of a medical education (with no religious ideologies attached). If your personal faith (whatever that is) differs from the Gtown, thats fine. Really the idea behind being a Jesuits institution is cura personalis or care of the whole person. And if you believe that, Georgetown is a great place.

Thank you for clarifying that.

Where are you guys reading up on Georgetown? I read the MSAR and the website... i still got nothin... any other good sources of info? Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.