2008-2009 Dartmouth Medical Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UVAbme2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dartmouth's info for those who haven't received it yet.

https://dms.dartmouth.edu/admissions/secapp/login/

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2008-09 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job.

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

No character/word max listed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't seem to log in.

What did you put for your birthplace? Simply the name of the city, or did you have to also put the county and state as it is listed on AMCAS?

I can't seem to log in.

What did you put for your birthplace? Simply the name of the city, or did you have to also put the county and state as it is listed on AMCAS?
Just name of the city.

For #2, I just wrote about myself and my interests. I suppose you could write about why you chose Dartmouth, but I thought I'd take the "look I'm interesting!" route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha for the second one, I literally copy/pasted Mount Sinai's "what makes you special" essay.

I love it when they have super-general questions and you get to fudge.

Haha for the second one, I literally copy/pasted Mount Sinai's "what makes you special" essay.

yea, if I had written that essay yet I might could have done the same, you ba***rd

And I took my VCU essay. Makes everything so much easier, right?

So I still can't log in, did both of you receive the email? Or did you simply log in successfully?

I have done neither.

and another thing;

Do you guys think this is an appropriate place to put a sudo letter of interest?

I was drafting something, and it came out basically saying how I am intrigued by the atmosphere and student "culture" at dartmouth. My undergrad has been quite the opposite of what seems to be the atmosphere there and I have developed a desire for something more close knit like that, etc etc. And then at the end I basically say I hope to interviewe to indulge my interest and let you get to know me.

what do you think?

In response to your two questions:

1) I never got the email, I just signed in.

2) Sounds good, except I think they want you to write down something they don't know about you...a little more about who you are, etc. Since it doesn't have a character max though, I'm pretty sure you can refer it back to the atmosphere at Dartmouth (example: I am a crazy gregarious party person, yadda yadda, but now I'm sick of the big school feel and seek a more peaceful environment...like Dartmouth! Coincidence? I think not). I don't think "why dartmouth" should be the focus of the essay. But maybe I'm wrong.

I received the email.

As for a letter of interest as your essay, I feel like that's what a lot of these are anyways. Any time you're asked "Why XXXXX?" you're basically listing reasons why you're interested. It would be good to write about why your interested while also giving them more insight as to who you are.

preeeeeeeeeciate the responses, i'll definitley tweak it a bit to give a little more info about lil ole me:thumbup:

And i guess i could call them about the login? But they may be like, JESUS you crazy good for nothing calling this office before we even send you the god damn email premed@!!!!@@#@))@! So maybe I'll hold of a day or so, dartmouth is (another) top choice of mine so might as well make the essay perfect.

Thanks for your help

My school uses VE to send out LOR. Which option should I choose?

A premedical committee letter or two reference letter

This always confused me when ask on the application. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is everyone doing for this essay? I am thinking about sending my "why medicine?" essay from columbia. I address lots of things about myself, so I think it will be appropriate... thoughts?

So for that question, tell us something about yourself. I really thought they just wanted to know something that makes you unique compared to other applicants. Do they really just want to hear why you want to go there specifically and why you would fit in so well?? I feel like that doesn't stand out because obviously everyone applying wants to go there. I wrote it without mentioning at all specifically why I want to go there. I tried to focus on aspects about me that were hard to discuss in the amcas app. because they are not specific activities, more about the kind of person I am.
Any thoughts?

So for that question, tell us something about yourself. I really thought they just wanted to know something that makes you unique compared to other applicants. Do they really just want to hear why you want to go there specifically and why you would fit in so well?? I feel like that doesn't stand out because obviously everyone applying wants to go there. I wrote it without mentioning at all specifically why I want to go there. I tried to focus on aspects about me that were hard to discuss in the amcas app. because they are not specific activities, more about the kind of person I am.
Any thoughts?

I think your approach is correct.

What is everyone doing for this essay? I am thinking about sending my "why medicine?" essay from columbia. I address lots of things about myself, so I think it will be appropriate... thoughts?
I did what makes me unique pretty much...I reused an essay from VCU...

Any thoughts?

my friend, who applied last year, wrote about dartmouth and why he wanted to go there. he got in. i think its pretty lenient. no right / wrong approach (without stretching the limits too far).

Dartmouth's secondary is out? Do they screen ? My AMCAS isnt verified yet :( But I really wanna get Dartmouths secondary since its like one of my top choice schools. *sob sob*

Wohoo.. submitted
I love these types of essays

woops, i realized i made a mistake on course # in the dartmouth supp. do you think they'll care? :mad:

I work in NH with adults who have disabilities. Would it be appropriate to discuss my enjoyment serving those in the area (literally 30 min outside of Dartmouth) and tie it in with an interest to continue my education, both in and outside of the classroom, in the NH area? Basically, not sure if I should try to use the local-hometown-boy card or not. Thoughts? (be nice, I'm middle class white boy so I've gotta use something!)

I work in NH with adults who have disabilities. Would it be appropriate to discuss my enjoyment serving those in the area (literally 30 min outside of Dartmouth) and tie it in with an interest to continue my education, both in and outside of the classroom, in the NH area? Basically, not sure if I should try to use the local-hometown-boy card or not. Thoughts? (be nice, I'm middle class white boy so I've gotta use something!)

Sounds like a great idea to me. Use every "card" you got.

Yo man, I used my experiences outside the U.S to explain why I'd be a fit for Dartmouth. You should definitely use experiences in NH to. Maybe not say anything specific about wanting to stay in the city.. atleast not directly. I mean, it's not a state school. But they'll get the point if you use NH.

I have a grammar question, but it's for Dartmouth's secondary so I guess this is the place to post it. For my 2008-2009 year plans, I have to list my courses. Right now the two sentances in which I list them read something like this

.... I plan to complete these courses for fall semester: list, list, list. My spring semester schedule is currently set: list, list, list.

Is that a proper way to use colons? I'm seriously a grammar ****** so any help is appreciated.

G'luck with Dartmouth everybody!

I have a grammar question, but it's for Dartmouth's secondary so I guess this is the place to post it. For my 2008-2009 year plans, I have to list my courses. Right now the two sentances in which I list them read something like this

.... I plan to complete these courses for fall semester: list, list, list. My spring semester schedule is currently set: list, list, list.

Is that a proper way to use colons? I'm seriously a grammar ****** so any help is appreciated.

G'luck with Dartmouth everybody!

1. Yes, that is correct.
2. Please read my post from above, and refrain from using the word "******."

1. Yes, that is correct.
Whoops. My apologies. Thanks for the help.

I don't know why but when I try to get to the page, it just keeps saying the page is not found... anybody else having this problem?

for the second question, do you think it would be appropriate to explain why Dartmouth is one of my top choices? What about explicitly saying "dartmouth is my top choice."? Thoughts?

Has anyone submitted the application?

Do we submit online, or do we mail it to them.

Can we pay online?

For the first question (what you're doing 2008-2009...):

It says "list" your courses if still in school. Is everybody just literally "listing" their courses and thats it? Have you guys added anything about other things you are involved in?

It says "list" your courses if still in school. Is everybody just literally "listing" their courses and thats it? Have you guys added anything about other things you are involved in?

I'm gonna list my courses and then also talk about the jobs I will have. I was planning on talking about my ECs that I will be doing this year, but i realize they didnt ask about ECs....should i write about them anyway?

1. Yes, that is correct.

Hahaha.:laugh:

I was thinking the same thing. I was planning on putting what volunteer/medical activities I will be participating in, it seems like it shouldn't be a bad thing.

I have a question hopefully someone can help me with. My committee letter wont be done for about 2 more weeks. Should I fill out and submit secondaries now, then just have them send the letter when it's finished? Or should I wait and complete my secondaries when the committee letter is finished?

I think the only place you would run into trouble talking about your ECs is if they are already listed on your primary app. I kind of interpret #1 to be asking "What are you doing with your time between your submission of your primary and possible matriculation?".

I'm wondering about submitting the secondary before my primary app is verified... I'm thinking it should be done by the end of the week. Think I should hold off? My trigger finger is itching to hit submit....

Woot woot! Complete at Dartmouth

serikk85: Submitted: 7/12, Letters: 7/11, Complete: 7/15

How much are people writing for these essays? Ballpark.... It's my first one and I just don't really know what is considered "the norm".

When you go to dartmouth's secondary (click: https://dms.dartmouth.edu/admissions/secapp/) do you get a security warning? It says that there is a problem with the website's security certificate and that they recommend closing the website. I am using Internet explorer.

Same here, cant get the website to work.

Same here, cant get the website to work.

It will work, I just am not sure if I want to enter my AAMC ID into a website when all-knowing Microsoft says not to.

How much are people writing for these essays? Ballpark.... It's my first one and I just don't really know what is considered "the norm".

I wrote just under 300 words, or about 1800 characters.

I still can't log in. All my information is correct though... I just go the email this afternoon.. Could that be the reason?

EDIT: Problem fixed.

Last edited:
Question: Is it possible to save the information continue later?

Question: Is it possible to save the information continue later?

Nope. I know from accidentally hitting the back-button instead of submit, and having to re-do it!

Question: Did anyone else have trouble typing in your Course Numbers? At JHU ours are for example, 101.105, and the site only lets you key in 5 characters, maximum. I was thinking go with the final 3 numbers to designate the course, because next to that box is the Department Name?...so they can connect the dots?...thoughts?...suggestions??...

Nope. I know from accidentally hitting the back-button instead of submit, and having to re-do it!

Question: Did anyone else have trouble typing in your Course Numbers? At JHU ours are for example, 101.105, and the site only lets you key in 5 characters, maximum. I was thinking go with the final 3 numbers to designate the course, because next to that box is the Department Name?...so they can connect the dots?...thoughts?...suggestions??...

I haven't completed the secondary yet, but my school has the same sort of 6 digit set up. I guess I'm just gonna go with the last three. It would be the only way to identify the specific course.

Quick question- I applied to Dartmouth for UG and did not get in. Would it be bad to mention that applied, loved the school, and even though I didn't get in I am still interested and now want to go to med school there?

Just wondering if i would be bad for me to mention that since I was not accepted!

-BP

Quick question- I applied to Dartmouth for UG and did not get in. Would it be bad to mention that applied, loved the school, and even though I didn't get in I am still interested and now want to go to med school there?

Just wondering if i would be bad for me to mention that since I was not accepted!

-BP

No need to mention that you did not get in. Theres no point in doing that, it doens't accomplish anything. You can mention that you've had an interest in Dartmouth since high school....etc. etc. But even then the undergrad and med school are so different that i'm not even sure it matters that you applied to the undergrad.

I just checked my application status, and it says:

We have received your DMS Secondary Application.

We have received your application fee. Thank you!

We have received both of your individual reference letters.

Does this mean I'm complete?? It doesn't explicitly say "complete".

I just checked my application status, and it says:

We have received your DMS Secondary Application.

We have received your application fee. Thank you!

We have received both of your individual reference letters.

Does this mean I'm complete?? It doesn't explicitly say "complete".
I think so. That's what I saw on mine too. I guess it was kind of presumptuous of me to declare myself complete, but what more could they want?

I second the "woot woot"

Isis24: Submitted: 7/14, Letters: 7/14, Complete: 7/18

Yea, I've got all greens too:thumbup:

I suppose no email notification of being complete eh?

Isis24: Submitted: 7/14, Letters: 7/14, Complete: 7/18
Scean: Submitted 7/12, Letters: 7/14, Complete: 7/18

Status
Not open for further replies.