2009-2010 University of Central Florida (UCF) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing as how it's almost time to send out AMCAS, what does everyone have to say about this school? I'm a FL resident, so it's on my list. I like the location and the class size seems a bit smaller. Don't know much about the program yet though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The class of 2014 will have all 4 years on the Lake Nona campus, which is nice because UCF's main campus is a bit far (20 minutes). The med school is nice, and in an up and coming area. By up and coming, however, I mean there is nothing around it for a couple miles. The class of 2014 will be 60 students.

I heard the charter class is tuition free too!

Anyone know if they're doing anything like that for the 2nd class?

They don't plan to. They are a newer medical school, so they will play some preference to in-state, not as much as FSU, but more similar to USF.

I'm applying as an out of state-er for the hell of it. Perhaps being born in Florida and living a large part of my pre-college life there will help. Probably not, but the secondary is only $30.

lol... no. that was a once in a lifetime type of thing.

USF accepts 90% instate, FSU is at 98%, I expect UCF to be somewhere around there. meaning... your application better be rocking if you're applying OOS

I'm applying as an out of state-er for the hell of it. Perhaps being born in Florida and living a large part of my pre-college life there will help. Probably not, but the secondary is only $30.

If you still have family members living in Florida you are fine. There are people that goes to college out of state and come back to FL for medical school. I think you can apply as an Instate Student too.. It would give you a better opportunity

lol... no. that was a once in a lifetime type of thing.

USF accepts 90% instate, FSU is at 98%, I expect UCF to be somewhere around there. meaning... your application better be rocking if you're applying OOS

UCF's charter class of 40 has 10 non-Florida residents in it at this time, and they plan to continue with ~25% non-Florida in each class. The charter class also will receive ~$40k per year for tuition and living expenses. They plan to begin a drive for the second class to try and get tuition for as many as possible, hopefully all 60.....we'll see. There definitely will be some money for the second class; how much is the key!!

Currently the charter class has an overall 32.3 MCAT (range 27-45) and 3.78 GPA (Range 3.2-4.0). As you might predict there has been very little wait list movement, not nearly as much as all of the other programs in Florida.

UCF's charter class of 40 has 10 non-Florida residents in it at this time, and they plan to continue with ~25% non-Florida in each class. The charter class also will receive ~$40k per year for tuition and living expenses. They plan to begin a drive for the second class to try and get tuition for as many as possible, hopefully all 60.....we'll see. There definitely will be some money for the second class; how much is the key!!

Currently the charter class has an overall 32.3 MCAT (range 27-45) and 3.78 GPA (Range 3.2-4.0). As you might predict there has been very little wait list movement, not nearly as much as all of the other programs in Florida.

Thanks for the post REL. Are the facilities open for touring or anything like that at this time?

Thanks for the post REL. Are the facilities open for touring or anything like that at this time?
Good question. I work/live in Jacksonville and would love to make a trip down there and meet some people, see the campus. I've always enjoyed Orlando and the idea of being one of the first to go through this program is exciting!

Members don't see this ad :)

Well at this time our teaching building is the third and fourth floor of a UCF Foundation building adjacent to the UCF main campus. Our charter class will spend their first year learning in this redesigned "office" building that is very adequate, but nothing like our new med ed building at Lake Nona, about 20 minutes away, in the medical city complex. The med ed building will open in May 2010 and ready for academics of our first and second year class in the fall of next year. So the long answer to your question is that there is really little to see right now where we are. Next May we'll be able to show you the med ed building which will rock your world.....everything from student lounge, workout room, and showers and large classrooms, to the clinical skills suite, anatomy lab, and 5k sq feet dedicated to simulation and animation training for our med students.

Well at this time our teaching building is the third and fourth floor of a UCF Foundation building adjacent to the UCF main campus. Our charter class will spend their first year learning in this redesigned "office" building that is very adequate, but nothing like our new med ed building at Lake Nona, about 20 minutes away, in the medical city complex. The med ed building will open in May 2010 and ready for academics of our first and second year class in the fall of next year. So the long answer to your question is that there is really little to see right now where we are. Next May we'll be able to show you the med ed building which will rock your world.....everything from student lounge, workout room, and showers and large classrooms, to the clinical skills suite, anatomy lab, and 5k sq feet dedicated to simulation and animation training for our med students.

Well as a UCF alum applying to schools now I am very excited for the opportunity to tour the new campus in lake nona, as i drive by it everyday for work at FL Hospital Celebration lol

I can't wait to apply to this school!

If you still have family members living in Florida you are fine. There are people that goes to college out of state and come back to FL for medical school. I think you can apply as an Instate Student too.. It would give you a better opportunity

Most of my family remains in Florida, but my immediate family has moved :(.

I'm hoping to go to this school, either this one or UF. :)

Hey Everyone,

I will be matriculating at UCF this fall and I'd be happy to answer any questions you all have about the application process or the school itself. I'm unlikely to check this thread very often so feel free to PM me with any questions you have. Best of luck to all of you, I hope to see you at Lake Nona in 2010!

Any predictions for the stats for 2010? I live across the street and it would be awesome to go here! 3.79GPA w/ 29 :-\

Any predictions for the stats for 2010? I live across the street and it would be awesome to go here! 3.79GPA w/ 29 :-\
3.51/3.71 GPA with a 30 MCAT, Engineering Major, Non-Traditional with the number 13 in their user name will be the ideal candidate :D

3.51/3.71 GPA with a 30 MCAT, Engineering Major, Non-Traditional with the number 13 in their user name will be the ideal candidate :D

I like how you think and mad respect on the engineering major - we need more people that can build stuff in the medical world not just bio/chem nerds! I'm non-traditional too and I'd say our stats are about even. I'm no engineer but I've got some tricks up my sleeve that I think will keep it real :D UCF Ka-Niggits!

Last edited:
anyone received the secondary?

i got mine on thursday. wondering what everyone else thought of it

Got it thursday also - it's a beast. about 8 'optional' essays and a 1-2 page essay on how you came to realize medicine/self-critical. It's rough, I've finished about half maybe? Nice interface though

yeah its pretty long, not sure if im gonna fill in all the optional sections. but i feel i should because there are so many

would someone mind posting the secondary prompts? Thanks!

Yeah I second the request for the prompts please!

Here is the main essay info:

Instructions:
Please provide a 1-2 page essay to help us understand who you are. Include what you can contribute to your class, the medical profession in general, as well as descriptions of significant events or circumstances that have shaped your character. Please also include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, travels, and specific goals you may have achieved. This essay should be different than your AMCAS Personal Statement.
  • This essay should be NO MORE THAN two pages, single spaced, with one inch margins.
  • Descriptions should be entered using a 10 to 12 point Times New Roman or similarly easy-to-read font.

Here is the info for the Activities section:

Activities Information
Many of the questions below duplicate AMCAS responses and are included here solely for you to include additional unique information. In most cases there will not be any new information, therefore we expect you to leave these areas blank. We do not want AMCAS information reiterated in these questions.
Please be concise in your responses.
Responses should be limited to a maximum of 300 words for each response

• Please provide information about medical volunteering, shadowing, or medical work experiences that are NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

• Please provide information about community service that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

• Please provide information about research experience that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

• Please provide information about teamwork experience that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

• Please provide any additional information about leadership experience that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

• Please provide information about unique, high-level accomplishments that are NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

• Please provide information regarding hardships that you might have overcome that are NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

• If you were required to work during your college years, please provide a short description why employment was necessary. (This area may be left blank)

• Please provide any information that you would like the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee to consider that has not been addressed in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

just curious, but why wouldn't you have put the information requested on the optional essays in your primary? if it was that important, it seems you would have covered it earlier.

just curious, but why wouldn't you have put the information requested on the optional essays in your primary? if it was that important, it seems you would have covered it earlier.
Because, for guys like me, all 15 of my work activities were about hardships I've faced growing up in the hood of an upper-middle class subdivision called Twin Lakes. One time some kids threw the lawn chairs in the pool and they used to hang out in the park at night. We also had numerous drive-bys in front of my house with the 3-car garage and bonus room upstairs. No one shot at us or anything, cars just drove by.

Now that UCF is giving me some more space, I'm going to talk about my advanced research in cancer genetics currently being considered for a Nobel Prize and a Tony Award. I'm also going to talk about being president of both the young Democrats and young Republicans clubs at my school at the same time. How I love UCF now :D

Lol alvarez.

Just submitted this bad boy. My fingers hurt

Because, for guys like me, all 15 of my work activities were about hardships I've faced growing up in the hood of an upper-middle class subdivision called Twin Lakes. One time some kids threw the lawn chairs in the pool and they used to hang out in the park at night. We also had numerous drive-bys in front of my house with the 3-car garage and bonus room upstairs. No one shot at us or anything, cars just drove by.

Now that UCF is giving me some more space, I'm going to talk about my advanced research in cancer genetics currently being considered for a Nobel Prize and a Tony Award. I'm also going to talk about being president of both the young Democrats and young Republicans clubs at my school at the same time. How I love UCF now :D

Yeah, so...Do they expect me to write about EACH of my nobel prize nominations. Or can I just combine them into a few quick sentences??

Will they be accepting many out of staters?
see REL's quote below; 25% OOS will be standard... and by what I hear, this is the highest by far of any FL public school.

see REL's quote below. by what I've read and heard, there is A TON (no exaggeration) of excitement around this school, and although the economy is dragging, there should still be an appreciable amount of money for the second year.

:thumbup::thumbup:
impressive numbers for the first year

OOoo.... workout rooms too? I'm in!! :D

To add to this discussion...the second year has 60 seats (compared to 40 for 09). From what I heard, that might help relax the stats a bit. Although UF/FSU are my top two choices, I'm really giving UCF a hard look (submitted my secondary a week ago). If there's money left in the piggy bank for second year students, it might just sway me. Coming out w/ less or no debt is a big :slap: to the chumps coming out w/ a 3br/2ba house worth of loans.

I think I'm more excited about this school than Mayo and some of the Chicago schools I applied for. It's a blank slate. You really have a chance to influence the direction the school takes and start a lot of traditions.

Crossing my fingers for an interview!

...and I am submitted!

congrats! i submitted about 2 weeks ago, still haven't heard anything about being complete or anything. May take a little while. Lemme know if you hear.

congrats! i submitted about 2 weeks ago, still haven't heard anything about being complete or anything. May take a little while. Lemme know if you hear.
Deal. I'm glad to see that you and I are among the only 3-4 people applying to this school...hopefully that means we'll be accepted at the interview we're gonna get!!!

Deal. I'm glad to see that you and I are among the only 3-4 people applying to this school...hopefully that means we'll be accepted at the interview we're gonna get!!!

yes! great attitude

Somewhere on their website it specifically said that the interview invitations would start to come out in AUGUST... just in case any of you guys missed it :D

Got an email today from our good buddy REL saying that I'm complete and I should hopefully hear something in the next few weeks. I'm really praying hard for this one...

Got an email today from our good buddy REL saying that I'm complete and I should hopefully hear something in the next few weeks. I'm really praying hard for this one...

Yep, got the same one.

For work today, we drove down from Jax to see a mitral valve replacement with a bunch of the CT guys at the Florida Hospital in Orlando. Absolutely beautiful hospital with some really great facilities. A lot of great people working there too. Every employee, weather doctor or housekeeping, made eye contact and smiled when we walked by. I believe this is one of the locations UCF is pairing up with clinical experience. I want to go to this school even more now!

For work today, we drove down from Jax to see a mitral valve replacement with a bunch of the CT guys at the Florida Hospital in Orlando. Absolutely beautiful hospital with some really great facilities. A lot of great people working there too. Every employee, weather doctor or housekeeping, made eye contact and smiled when we walked by. I believe this is one of the locations UCF is pairing up with clinical experience. I want to go to this school even more now!

Nice, I was working in the ER there today!

Nice, I was working in the ER there today!
Definitely feel free to elaborate on your experiences/impressions. I didn't have time to check it out and that's my favorite area of most hospitals.

This application is so long. I am all out of ideas on what to write on the essay!. I have written about 4 pages of content for all section including essay, but for now all it seems to me as i am typing, without putting any thought into what i am typing.:sleep:

This application is so long. I am all out of ideas on what to write on the essay!. I have written about 4 pages of content for all section including essay, but for now all it seems to me as i am typing, without putting any thought into what i am typing.:sleep:

Why so much? The actual essay asks for one to two pages, but not more. It does ask for a short description of any course work below a B grade; ditto for any hurdles that you have overcome. Most of the rest is simply extra space to tell about volunteerism, research, etc that you did not include in AMCAS --- and they really mean that you can leave these areas empty unless there is something significant add. They dont want you to enter just for the sake of using space ---

Status
Not open for further replies.