I need a new car!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Plank, I am looking for a car too!!! But alas my budget is only 50K or less (preferably less) and even that is pushing it!!!

One of my attendings just copped the R8 in red - sick!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go for the C63 over the c350 any day.

amg63.thumbnail.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude has an R8, and he's living in a sh8ty-looking townhouse??? Weak...:thumbdown: Needs to get his priorities straight...

Location location location. :) The ****ty townhouses across the street from the hospital where I did my internship are STILL - post bubble - selling for more than both of my houses put together.

Considering the fact that I live ACROSS THE STREET from said R8 dude, you clearly think my townhouse is SHI$TTY too? Thanks! :D

It's not his place. He was just visiting.

And in the spirit of all things lighthearted here of late, I'm being pretty lighthearted above.

Anyway, the car rox. Period. So does the school district where said sh4tty townhouse is located. Tops in the state. At least I have my prios straight. :rolleyes: I have to agree though, it does confuse me when I see people pulling into their 200K condos with 200K Bentley's. I never understood that. Saw it tons in LA. Go figure. Plank, you have to take that R8 for a spin man, they're not letting me get near that car with my salary!

D712

I don't understand the hype over the R8... Save nearly 40k and get a better performing and faster Nissan GTR... Or if it's German you like there is always the Porsche 911 turbo PDK for 137. 20k more than the stock V8 R8 9k less than the R8 V10 and will smoke both at the lights and on a track... If you really want an Audi though I'd say get a gallardo LP560-4 (Lambo is a subsidiary of Audi...)

At the end of the day, its all about name. Audi vs Nissan. I'd personally get an Audi if I had the money because it screams "sporty elegance".

I wasn't a huge fan of the R8 until I saw it on this forum. Then I had to youtube a bunch of top gear and 5th episodes to see what its all about, and I must say its a beast of a ride.

I still hold strong on my previous suggestion of an Audi S6 :D. Although, I was talking to a friend of my mine who is a HUGE Audi fan and he was saying that the wait time on getting a brand new S6 is about 3-8 months in the US. I'm not sure how true that is.

At the end of the day, its all about name. Audi vs Nissan. I'd personally get an Audi

I definitely agree Audi > Nissan but can you justify spending that much money for a "super-car" with sub-par performance... you might as well get an M3 for 55k? Being a mid-engined car (the R8) though it just doesnt stack up to the GTR... That's why you go rear-engine and get the 911 turbo or scrap both and get the gallardo..

If you want German power go w/the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG.
$88k
0-60 in 4.0 seconds
500+ HP
room for 5

What more could you want?

Audi has the fastest depreciation of most any vehicle for some reason. They are baddass looking but they are a nightmare to own. My partner had an S4 sedan and sold it for a BMW 335i.

For Blade,
IMG_2691.jpg

The wife's Range Rover Sport is in the front and its black and supercharged. It handles better than my Tundra but the Tundra will smoke it.

I am more interested in the one in the back.

- pod

Members don't see this ad :)
Plank,

Do you speak as someone who used to own a Jag that liked to leave its oil everywhere? :)

I have to look at this GTR, it smokes a V10 R8? The latter is 0-62mph in 3.9... :scared:

edit: ok, saw the GTR. it's 0-60 is listed at 3.2. that's just not normal! ;)
Here's a great, fun, write up on the test drive.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0803_2009_nissan_gtr_acceleration_test/index.html
my only issue with GTR is that, while I LOVE the 350Z or 370Z (or 390Z or 410Z surely,) as a former 300Z owner,
the GTR just looks like a suped up Z. Not loving the design.

the porsche PDK, I don't know, judge this video for yourself... it's raining outside, is that even possible?
Or is someone having fun with us?
http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-09/12-12-09page-2010-Porsche-911-Turbo-PDK-0-60.htm

Back to books!
D712

Last edited:
my only issue with GTR is that, while I LOVE the 350Z or 370Z (or 390Z or 410Z surely,) as a former 300Z owner,
the GTR just looks like a suped up Z. Not loving the design.

I agree the GTR resembles the Z models too closely... It does have a good price for the performance though! Still I'd rather have the porsche over the nissan

Agree. While the GT-R will smoke most cars priced at 400K or more, the design is not breath taking. R8 is just good look'n. Check out this website. Beautiful cars. Notice there are only 2 of them that are faster than the GT-R. Bugatti is .7 sec faster and 1.6 million more expensive. If performance is what you want... GT-R is hands down.. the best bang for your buck. With that design... I think you are a bit undercover :ninja: Some people may actually like that when pulling up to a porche, vett, R8, etc...

http://www.thesupercars.org/fastest-cars/fastest-cars-in-the-world-top-10-list/

Sevo

Man, that Bugatti is gorgeous!

D712

You are smart for your young age and I wish I was the "beginner doctor" you described, but I am not :(
I do agree with your point though: a car is a terrible investment, but everything else in life that makes you happy is a terrible investment too.

OK, I got excited like everybody, and I do that a lot. I get an idea (to buy something) and I go check out things and read and compare, and put down lists of endless pros and cons. All day yesterday and today, I have been looking at cars and ...etc.
Plank, (don't kill me if I upset you by saying this):
DO NOT BUY ANY CAR UNLESS YOU HAVE CASH TO PAY FOR IT before you walk out the door. If you have extra money, think of investing. The prices of houses are very cheap, buy some property to rent it, or check out other good investments (the guys here seem very smart to direct you towards good investments)!!
My assumption is that you are a young begginner doctor, you DO NOT NEED to empress any one. If people get impressed by your car and want to befriend you, then they are the wrong ones.
Trust me, invest and later it will be there for you and your family not debt. I wouldn't want to drive a great car where an idiot can come and hit me. Also, I am not a NASCAR driver (although I wish) so speed and stuff is not important in my daily life.
Good luck, and thanks for give me the time to talk to you and forgive me all if I messed up the joy (some will say "like always" right DreamMachine ?? :thumbup::thumbup::laugh:

Did you also see the big puddle of oil on the driveway?
English engineers were never interested in designing gaskets that actually keep the oil INSIDE the engine!

AS Bert said, that's how you know it's good to drive, if there's a puddle or oil under it then go for it.

You know why the Brit's took so long to put computers in their vehicles, right?

Because they couldn't figure out how to make the computers leak oil.

Bert, you can follow me in your Heep.

I have a winch.:laugh:

Seriously, nothing like a Land Rover.

Yeah, my wife's rolling the Disco right now. I'll probably take that over when she gets a new car, maybe add a couple inches to the suspension.

I'm torn, though. Nothing beats the wind in my face with the top down and the doors off. I never thought I'd get rid of the Jeep, but a nice soft top D90 may do the trick. As much as I love the Jeep, they look like little toys next to a Defender.

Of course, I've never seen a Defender with the doors off.

1-add1-m.jpg

disclaimer- not quite like my jeep, and I'd never live in that housing development.