Pikeville-SOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatewasani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to Pikeville?

I haven't heard anything from them yet but hope they send me a secondary soon. This is definitely one of my top choices because I really like the way they care of their students.

If anyone has any cool info about the school, please post

Members don't see this ad.

I applied there. I emailed a lady the other day to ask her about secondaries. She said that they would begin sending those out at the end of June.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I am very interested in Pikeville and will have my AACOMAS application finished in about 2 weeks. Do I need to get my secondary from them ASAP or wait until the primary is sent to them?

If I am very interested in Pikeville and will have my AACOMAS application finished in about 2 weeks. Do I need to get my secondary from them ASAP or wait until the primary is sent to them?

You need to wait until your primary is sent to them before you send them anything because they wont know who you are. If you have time you can start on the secondary essays before then, just dont send it in.

You need to wait until your primary is sent to them before you send them anything because they wont know who you are. If you have time you can start on the secondary essays before then, just dont send it in.

I thought so. Just wanted to make sure.

The Admissions staff said that they were going to start sending those at the end of June.

The lady in admissions didn't say. I really hope by email.

I think it is by email; and it just gives you a link to the pdf to download yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope for email too...hopefully it will be soon :)

Has anybody gotten the secondary yet?

not yet. I hope we hear soon :)

I believe pikeville is one of the last schools to send out secondaries (based on what I have read.) There is only one admissions lady, who is extremely nice by the way, and it slows things down a bit.

Where is everyone located? OOS or IS?

I'm in AZ...literally 30 secs from the AT Still SOMA here :).

I am an Ohio resident as well :) Applied to Pikeville too.

Just got the secondary invite from PCSOM!

How does the login part work?

Last edited:
yeah, i think it's a glitch and this is the first time they've tried this system. hopefully, they figure it out.

got the secondary from here today

Do they know about the problem?

I have submitted my AACOMAS and it is being verified, with Pikeville being on the submitted list of schools. But I am retaking the MCAT next month as my score was in the mid 20's. How do I get the new MCAT scores to Pikeville?

I have submitted my AACOMAS and it is being verified, with Pikeville being on the submitted list of schools. But I am retaking the MCAT next month as my score was in the mid 20's. How do I get the new MCAT scores to Pikeville?
send teh score to AACOMAS using MCAT THx and I guess they will send the updated application to the school

What did you all list put for your "Statement of Purpose"?

Did you wrote a whole essay? About why you want to go to Pikeville-SOM?

I was wondering the same thing. What are we supposed to write? What's the length limit?

What did you all list put for your "Statement of Purpose"?

Did you wrote a whole essay? About why you want to go to Pikeville-SOM?

From last years thread it was "Why do you believe you should be trained as a rural, Osteopathic physician?"

I think its really weird too that they wouldn't put what to write for the essay

i'll probably talk about some of my traits and how i think PCSOM can help me get to my end goals.

On page 5 of the secondary, what is everyone putting into the Activities section?. I basically put everything on the first page where it said list everything.
i just re-listed jobs there. not volunteering/shadowing. i dont know why they ask for it twice.

On page 5 of the secondary, what is everyone putting into the Activities section?. I basically put everything on the first page where it said list everything.

I thought the prompt asked us to list what we have done job/travel/etc. after completion of the undergraduate degree. Guess I read it wrong. :confused:

My jobs during undergrad were all listed on my primary so hopefully I won't be nixed for my failure to read a sentence thoroughly. :smack:

I don't understand the travel thing. It asks for job you have done/travel while obtaining your undergraduate degree?

I went to Hawaii on a vacation. Also to Washington DC and Texas to see family. I also went to Florida with friends. None of these were related to my job though. So, I didn't list them. I don't see what traveling to Florida to hang out with my family there has to do with medical school. Maybe they did want us to list travel for fun though? Oh, well.

Any ideas what to write in Statement of Purpose?

Will it be OK to just copy and paste the Eassy from the Primaey.

Any ideas what to write in Statement of Purpose?

Will it be OK to just copy and paste the Eassy from the Primaey.

Apparently, people on here have written on Why DO? and Why Pikeville specifically?....for about 400-500 words.

I wrote about Why DO? ....for around 400 words.

I would definitely not copy and paste my essay from the primary though. They already have that. They'll want something new. And, just pasting the essay from there could make you look lazy.

i just re-listed jobs there. not volunteering/shadowing. i dont know why they ask for it twice.

i was tryin to find answers to this too. because they already asked for volunteering shadowing, i didnt know if i was suppose to relist it

I don't understand the travel thing. It asks for job you have done/travel while obtaining your undergraduate degree?

I went to Hawaii on a vacation. Also to Washington DC and Texas to see family. I also went to Florida with friends. None of these were related to my job though. So, I didn't list them. I don't see what traveling to Florida to hang out with my family there has to do with medical school. Maybe they did want us to list travel for fun though? Oh, well.

and yea, i dont know if they're asking for vacations? most likely not, but its an odd way to ask a question

Apparently, people on here have written on Why DO? and Why Pikeville specifically?....for about 400-500 words.

I wrote about Why DO? ....for around 400 words.

I would definitely not copy and paste my essay from the primary though. They already have that. They'll want something new. And, just pasting the essay from there could make you look lazy.
Thanks DrDre. I will do the same (About Why DO)
Some of the other info like jobs/activities are also in primary. I am surprised why they are asking again.

I'm having more trouble with this essay than my personal statement! :/

I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to get into contact with the admissions office thats not an answering machine

I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to get into contact with the admissions office thats not an answering machine

Tell me about it! I've tried calling since Monday (about 5 times throughout each day). I'm trying to figure out if they accept the AACOMAS fee waiver before I submit my secondary.

Tried email as well... no response

Tell me about it! I've tried calling since Monday (about 5 times throughout each day). I'm trying to figure out if they accept the AACOMAS fee waiver before I submit my secondary.

Tried email as well... no response

yup, i'm calling for the same reason, i've also sent an e-mail and tried leaving a voice message but it's full. If you figure out anything please post it here and i'll do the same

What is the prompt for the secondary essay?