2012-2013 East Tennessee State (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Choose and answer one of the following questions (indicating your choice 'A' or 'B' preceding the answer):

A. "I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug." Without summarizing the literal meaning of this statement, explain what it means to you personally.

B. Two 18 year old boys suffer a badly broken leg on the football field. One is the son of a well-insured businessman, and the other the son of a divorced, convenience store clerk with no health insurance. Both require orthopedic care and follow up. When the insured father calls for ortho appointments, they gladly schedule his son in the next day or so. When the uninsured mom calls for ortho appointments, the office tells her that the next "free clinic" visit they have open is in two weeks, or she could come to the office with $350.00 cash for the initial visit, which she does not have. As a future physician, how will you be a part of the solution to the problem highlighted by this scenario?

Choose and answer one of the following questions (indicating your choice 'C' or 'D' preceding the answer):

C. To which historical figure do you think would you relate well and why?

D. What, other than your faith, family, and career, do you value most and why?

Choose and answer one of the following questions (indicating your choice 'E' or 'F' preceding the answer):

E. People often respond to stress in very different ways based on past experiences and/or personality traits. Whether it be a single, devastating event or a lengthy battle, please describe a stressful experience you have endured and what measures you took to handle it.

F. If overwhelming tragedy were to fall on you today, how would you get through it? Upon whom do you lean when things get unbearably tough?

(Optional Question) The Quillen College of Medicine routinely receives several hundred applications each year from well-qualified applicants. Please use this space to explain why we should consider you above these other applicants.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, I'll bump this thread up. Is there nobody out there applying to Quillen this cycle?

I'm still on the WL from last cycle, but will definitely be reapplying if I don't get in this July. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i like etsu but most of my activities/personal statement is all about serving in the inner city but quillen is rural med :(

Hi all,

I will be an upcoming M1 at Quillen COM and I would love answer any application questions/issues you all have (or will have). I understand it is still early in the process but I drop in on SDN a couple of times a week.

That will probably change once orientation starts (July 23rd). I hope to see some of you all on your interview trails at Quillen!

Quillen is my top choice but I'm not sure how not taking the MCAT until July 14 is going to affect my chances for this cycle. AMCAS is verified so I'm just waiting for MCAT scores. Good luck all!

Quillen is my top choice but I'm not sure how not taking the MCAT until July 14 is going to affect my chances for this cycle. AMCAS is verified so I'm just waiting for MCAT scores. Good luck all!

You're fine. I took the MCAT on 8/23 last year and received an interview invite by 11/30.

Got the application received email this morning.

Hoping for a secondary soon!

You're fine. I took the MCAT on 8/23 last year and received an interview invite by 11/30.

Agreed, I took MCAT 8/12 and did not even submit until middle of September (9/13). I was verified 10/24?, interviewed 2/1, and accepted 2/28.

I DO NOT recommend this but it worked out for me. Submitting late, even with competitive stats adds a lot of unneeded stress.

Haley, you are in good shape!

Agreed, I took MCAT 8/12 and did not even submit until middle of September (9/13). I was verified 10/24?, interviewed 2/1, and accepted 2/28.

I DO NOT recommend this but it worked out for me. Submitting late, even with competitive stats adds a lot of unneeded stress.

Haley, you are in good shape!

Wow, nicely done. Seems like you definitely defied the odds. But, I'm gonna assume you must have had some pretty good stats.

Wow, nicely done. Seems like you definitely defied the odds. But, I'm gonna assume you must have had some pretty good stats.

Actually, not really. Quillen emphasizes "the person" not the "stats" of the person.

Obviously, great stats cannot hurt but that is not all Quillen looks for. I am very fortunate to be in the position that I am.

Best advice I can give: apply early and stay positive throughout this difficult process. Having a positive attitude is hard at times but will benefit you in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received secondary this morning.

Choose and answer one of the following questions (indicating your choice 'A' or 'B' preceding the answer):

A. "I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug." Without summarizing the literal meaning of this statement, explain what it means to you personally.

B. Two 18 year old boys suffer a badly broken leg on the football field. One is the son of a well-insured businessman, and the other the son of a divorced, convenience store clerk with no health insurance. Both require orthopedic care and follow up. When the insured father calls for ortho appointments, they gladly schedule his son in the next day or so. When the uninsured mom calls for ortho appointments, the office tells her that the next "free clinic" visit they have open is in two weeks, or she could come to the office with $350.00 cash for the initial visit, which she does not have. As a future physician, how will you be a part of the solution to the problem highlighted by this scenario?

Choose and answer one of the following questions (indicating your choice 'C' or 'D' preceding the answer):

C. To which historical figure do you think would you relate well and why?

D. What, other than your faith, family, and career, do you value most and why?

Choose and answer one of the following questions (indicating your choice 'E' or 'F' preceding the answer):

E. People often respond to stress in very different ways based on past experiences and/or personality traits. Whether it be a single, devastating event or a lengthy battle, please describe a stressful experience you have endured and what measures you took to handle it.

F. If overwhelming tragedy were to fall on you today, how would you get through it? Upon whom do you lean when things get unbearably tough?

(Optional Question) The Quillen College of Medicine routinely receives several hundred applications each year from well-qualified applicants. Please use this space to explain why we should consider you above these other applicants.

I am also a M1 at Quillen this year. I absolutely love it and it is, in the words of Dean Taylor, "Quillen is the very best medical school in the country.... for some people." I'm so blessed to be at ETSU. I would love to answer any questions you have!

I am also a M1 at Quillen this year. I absolutely love it and it is, in the words of Dean Taylor, "Quillen is the very best medical school in the country.... for some people." I'm so blessed to be at ETSU. I would love to answer any questions you have!

Haha he must use that one a lot. But I'm not disagreeing. :thumbup:

I visited Quillen recently and LOVED it. Now my number one school. Idk that I can really think of anything that I dislike about it. I would be thrilled to gain acceptance here.

Hey guys,

I am also an M1, and I would be glad to answer any questions you may have. Quillen is a great place to be! I'm blessed to be here, and I couldn't see myself anywhere else. I'll check in regularly. Feel free to PM me.

This is just a curious question, I would be surprised if there is anyone with knowledge about it, but does anyone know how many secondaries are sent out? My MSAR of course shows interviews and whatnot, but I was just wondering what my odds are overall.

This is just a curious question, I would be surprised if there is anyone with knowledge about it, but does anyone know how many secondaries are sent out? My MSAR of course shows interviews and whatnot, but I was just wondering what my odds are overall.

I can't honestly say, but I haven't met anyone who submitted a primary and didn't receive a secondary.

We'll i'll be the first one who didn't get a secondary. I'm OOS with a MCAT 30 and 3.6 overall, 3.5 science

Received a secondary today. I haven't gotten my MCAT scores back yet (took it last Saturday) but I am in-state, from the East TN area. Verified on August 1.

OOS. 3.94gpa, MCAT (that's what screwed me), 6 years in healthcare as an army nurse, 1 deployment to Iraq as a nurse. 300+ shadowing hours. Research experience. Pretty sure they care mainly about stats. I applied here because they actually claimed veterans preference in the MSAR. As Charlie Murphy would say... WRONG.

Rejected by letter through USPS. About 5-7 days ago.

Last edited:
OOS. 3.94gpa, 27 MCAT (that's what screwed me), 6 years in healthcare as an army nurse, 1 deployment to Iraq as a nurse. 300+ shadowing hours. Research experience. Pretty sure they care mainly about stats. I applied here because they actually claimed veterans preference in the MSAR. As Charlie Murphy would say... WRONG.

I'm sorry, that really sucks. But it's definitely not because of your stats. I was interviewed and waitlisted last year with c3.81, a s3.80, and a 23O.

Are you out of state? If so, that's the only time that stats come heavily into play. Otherwise, I would pay attention to your PS and ECs. They're particularly fond of those valuing community, though not necessarily primary care, which is definitely a plus but not a requirement.

Last edited:
Friend of mine posted on Facebook about an interview invite earlier today. No love for me though :(((

OOS. 3.94gpa, 27 MCAT (that's what screwed me), 6 years in healthcare as an army nurse, 1 deployment to Iraq as a nurse. 300+ shadowing hours. Research experience. Pretty sure they care mainly about stats. I applied here because they actually claimed veterans preference in the MSAR. As Charlie Murphy would say... WRONG.

I'm not sure if your stats were the issue. I'm an M1 and your stats seem fine in comparison to many in my class (the average is 27ish). What state are you applying from? Is your reason for applying to QCOM convincing?

Just got an email inviting me to interview! SO EXCITED!!!!!

Secondary submitted today! Now we wait :scared:

Thinking about applying here, as I really love the state (especially the eastern part!). However, what do you think they mean about 'highly qualified' OOS applicants? I am in a contiguous state, but I'm not sure about my stats. I have a 3.95 sGPA, 4.0 cGPA, but only a 31 mcat. Other aspects off my application I would call average. Do I have a shot?

Thinking about applying here, as I really love the state (especially the eastern part!). However, what do you think they mean about 'highly qualified' OOS applicants? I am in a contiguous state, but I'm not sure about my stats. I have a 3.95 sGPA, 4.0 cGPA, but only a 31 mcat. Other aspects off my application I would call average. Do I have a shot?

Go for it. All you have to lose is the secondary fee. And if you're really super stoked about the school, it's worth it, IMO. I'm debating the same thing regarding Utah. Except they have a ton of hoops I'd have to jump through.

Anyway, you're above average overall, with a GPA that should compensate for your lower MCAT when trying to fit the "uber stat" profile of a "highly qualified applicant." They're much more focused on who you are as a person, especially if you'd like to stay in the region to practice. As an OOS, your stats must be superior, but not superhuman.

Hope this helped.

Go for it. All you have to lose is the secondary fee. And if you're really super stoked about the school, it's worth it, IMO. I'm debating the same thing regarding Utah. Except they have a ton of hoops I'd have to jump through.

Anyway, you're above average overall, with a GPA that should compensate for your lower MCAT when trying to fit the "uber stat" profile of a "highly qualified applicant." They're much more focused on who you are as a person, especially if you'd like to stay in the region to practice. As an OOS, your stats must be superior, but not superhuman.

Hope this helped.

Thanks! The additional primary + secondary fee is the only thing that's stopping me, as I'm very tight on money right now. However, I'd rather drop another school I had planned on applying to and add this one.

Thanks! The additional primary + secondary fee is the only thing that's stopping me, as I'm very tight on money right now. However, I'd rather drop another school I had planned on applying to and add this one.

What state are you from?

Anyone that's gotten an interview, would you mind sharing which dates they were scheduled for? Just wondering when the first batch of interviews are going to be. Also, does anyone know if ETSU does interviews on only certain days of the week?

Anyone that's gotten an interview, would you mind sharing which dates they were scheduled for? Just wondering when the first batch of interviews are going to be. Also, does anyone know if ETSU does interviews on only certain days of the week?

Mine is scheduled for 9/11. Not sure about specific days of the week.

I am an M1 at Quillen and the interviews start this Thursday. That is the day before our second anatomy test :/

Question:

So Quillen sent me a secondary on the 10th, I believe it was, telling me to have the essays and my letters in by the 31st (Friday). I submitted my essays on the 22nd and told my advisor last week that my letters were due by the 31st and I thought he was going to have them sent last Friday, but I talked to him today and he just sent them earlier today. Is Quillen gonna hold this against me? The letters will be post-marked before the 31st, obviously. My MCAT scores don't come out til next week, so I'm not worried about the delay, I am just hoping they don't penalize me in some way because the letters were only sent today.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Does this go for OOS applicants too?
No, I think some OOS students were screened before they get a secondary last year. You might want to check that thread. I could be mistaken.

Question:

So Quillen sent me a secondary on the 10th, I believe it was, telling me to have the essays and my letters in by the 31st (Friday). I submitted my essays on the 22nd and told my advisor last week that my letters were due by the 31st and I thought he was going to have them sent last Friday, but I talked to him today and he just sent them earlier today. Is Quillen gonna hold this against me? The letters will be post-marked before the 31st, obviously. My MCAT scores don't come out til next week, so I'm not worried about the delay, I am just hoping they don't penalize me in some way because the letters were only sent today.

Any input would be appreciated.
No, I don't think they'll hold this against you. Plus, if you're in state, they might even arrive in time.

Yeah, Chattanooga to Johnson City, so hopefully not too long.
Oh yeah, that's totally closer than I expected. You're fine. They'll arrive by the deadline. It usually takes 3 days for my letters to reach L.A. from Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.