2012-2013 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck, everyone! :luck:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I am a little confused, Chapel Hill has two separate due dates for required and optional letters of recommendation. But aren't all letters supposed to be turned in with your secondary application?

Even though I'm a huge fan of Duke basketball, I guess I could suck it up if I was accepted into Carolina :p

Top choice for me as well, although it is quite a reach with my stats

Any idea when they will be sending out secondaries??

Actually, I believe some people have already received secondaries. They must be the cream of the crop (Ie. 40/4.00). If one of them would so kindly post the secondary prompts, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I believe some people have already received secondaries. They must be the cream of the crop (Ie. 40/4.00). If one of them would so kindly post the secondary prompts, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone

Really? Also I wouldn't worry too much about the essay, as secondary=interview for UNC.

Sent from my iPhone

Where'd you hear this? And it may have been for edp applicants? Id be surprised if this were true. Since I've got got IS friends with those stats and they are in the same boat as us.

Really? Also I wouldn't worry too much about the essay, as secondary=interview for UNC.

Is this true? I've never heard that about Carolina before. I'm a third-time applicant and I got an interview the first year, and then the second year was screened-out pre-secondary.

Sent from my iPhone

Really? That's interesting, because I know several VERY qualified applicants who have not yet received secondaries.

Also yeah... secondary = interview most of the time unless you completely F up on it. I'm sure they read and consider secondaries to some extent, when they decide whether or not to give out acceptances to people.

Really? That's interesting, because I know several VERY qualified applicants who have not yet received secondaries.

Also yeah... secondary = interview most of the time unless you completely F up on it. I'm sure they read and consider secondaries to some extent, when they decide whether or not to give out acceptances to people.

Secondary = interview for in-state applicants, if I understand correctly.

Out of state applicants are screened for a secondary, and if they receive a secondary that is taken into consideration before an interview is extended.

No secondary for me yet - and I haven't heard of anyone who has received one yet.

For first time in state applicants, secondary = interview. For re-applicants as well as OOS this is not the case.

I also haven't received a secondary, and don't know of anyone who has. Chapel Hill is notoriously slow with their entire application process.

Well maybe I was misinformed on people receiving their secondaries. Who knows lol? Nevertheless on last year's thread, the first people started to post about receiving secondaries around mid-July.

For you OOSers, looks like the supplementary screen is strictly numerical:

"Supplemental applications will be sent to qualified out-of-state applicants who meet all of the following academic criteria: science GPA (or BCPM) of 3.49; cumulative GPA of 3.59 and a total MCAT score of 33 or greater. Once we receive the supplemental application and the required fee, all materials will be reviewed and the applicant will then be considered for an interview."

I saw this, but it could also mean that this is a preliminary screen, and out of the pool that has a 3.49, 3.59, 33, they pick the "qualified ones." Not sure how to read it exactly.

For you OOSers, looks like the supplementary screen is strictly numerical:

"Supplemental applications will be sent to qualified out-of-state applicants who meet all of the following academic criteria: science GPA (or BCPM) of 3.49; cumulative GPA of 3.59 and a total MCAT score of 33 or greater. Once we receive the supplemental application and the required fee, all materials will be reviewed and the applicant will then be considered for an interview."

That's a bit of a relief. At least you know how they're judging applications to some degree.

I saw this, but it could also mean that this is a preliminary screen, and out of the pool that has a 3.49, 3.59, 33, they pick the "qualified ones." Not sure how to read it exactly.

Yeah, true.

Reading over it again it actually sounds more like the numbers are necessary but not sufficient...

I am an in-state re-applicant to UNC and thought I'd share some insight regarding the admissions process. Disclaimer:I am not affiliated with UNC in any way, and my information is based on my experiences last year.

First of all, the previous speculation in this thread is correct; first time, in-state applicants who receive secondaries are pretty much guaranteed an interview. I'm not so sure about out of state applicants (except it's really hard to get in here as an out of stater). In-state re-applicants are frequently admitted on their second attempt; this fact can be observed on previous years' threads, AND I was told directly by one of my interviewers that there are simply not enough seats to go around and that I would not be looked upon unfavorably as a re-applicant. So keep fighting the good fight, even if you don't make it this year!

Anyway, the number one thing you should know about UNC is that the interview is very important. On your interview day, you will have two interviewers, and at least one of them will be a voting member on the admissions committee. This means that if your interviewer really likes you and your stats are decent, your interviewer will advocate personally for you during admissions committee meetings (translation: you have a great chance of being accepted)! So bring your A-game to the interview and you'll be set.

One final note; UNC can be pretty slow in issuing decisions. I interviewed in early September last year and was not informed of my final status (rejected) until early April. Being a lifelong North Carolinian and someone who wants to open a family practice in an underserved part of the state, I was pretty upset about this rejection (I also have above-average GPA/MCAT for UNC). However, I know of several others with similar stories that have been turned away. Hopefully we will be successful this time around.

That's all for now...best of luck to everyone!

I am an in-state re-applicant to UNC and thought I'd share some insight regarding the admissions process. Disclaimer:I am not affiliated with UNC in any way, and my information is based on my experiences last year.

First of all, the previous speculation in this thread is correct; first time, in-state applicants who receive secondaries are pretty much guaranteed an interview. I'm not so sure about out of state applicants (except it's really hard to get in here as an out of stater). In-state re-applicants are frequently admitted on their second attempt; this fact can be observed on previous years' threads, AND I was told directly by one of my interviewers that there are simply not enough seats to go around and that I would not be looked upon unfavorably as a re-applicant. So keep fighting the good fight, even if you don't make it this year!

Anyway, the number one thing you should know about UNC is that the interview is very important. On your interview day, you will have two interviewers, and at least one of them will be a voting member on the admissions committee. This means that if your interviewer really likes you and your stats are decent, your interviewer will advocate personally for you during admissions committee meetings (translation: you have a great chance of being accepted)! So bring your A-game to the interview and you'll be set.

One final note; UNC can be pretty slow in issuing decisions. I interviewed in early September last year and was not informed of my final status (rejected) until early April. Being a lifelong North Carolinian and someone who wants to open a family practice in an underserved part of the state, I was pretty upset about this rejection (I also have above-average GPA/MCAT for UNC). However, I know of several others with similar stories that have been turned away. Hopefully we will be successful this time around.

That's all for now...best of luck to everyone!

Mind me asking if you had above average stats for unc (33/3.7) which are also above avg for national matriculants why are you reapplying? I would have thought you'd get in somewhere. Did you only app to unc?

Mind me asking if you had above average stats for unc (33/3.7) which are also above avg for national matriculants why are you reapplying? I would have thought you'd get in somewhere. Did you only app to unc?

Haha, I recently received a phone call from my pre-med adviser because she was "shocked and appalled" to see that I was reapplying after applying to 11 schools last year. I think my lack of success boiled down to three things; not applying to a sufficiently broad range of schools, not trying hard enough on secondaries, and, honestly, plain bad luck.

First of all, though I applied to 11 schools, they were mostly schools where my stats were slightly below average. Second, I could have done a better job on my secondaries by A.) being more school specific and B.) turning them around more quickly (some I didn't get to for a month, which, based on some speculative discussions I've read, might negatively impact the ADCOM's view of your application).

As a result of these two things, I ended up with only three interviews, one of which was at UNC, where I had a pretty solid shot at acceptance (from a statistical standpoint at least). Unfortunately, my interview at UNC was straight up bad. My interviewer and I had bad chemistry and I was feeling too nervous. My subsequent interviews at other schools were great, but unfortunately those interviewers were less influential in the admissions process (one interviewer told me she thought I would be a great student at her institution and that she sincerely hoped I'd get in...didn't seem to matter to the ADCOM). Ultimately I ended up waitlisted at one "Top 30" school in New York City, but I withdrew recently since I had already invested so much money in re-applying, and because UNC seems pretty friendly to re-applicants.

So lessons learned:

1.) Apply to a broad range of schools

2.) Work really hard on your secondaries and make sure they are as school-specific as possible.

3.) There is a significant amount of luck in this process; who interviews you, who reads your secondary, when that person reads your secondary, specific schools' ADCOM procedures, etc... There are so many intelligent and well-qualified people applying to medical school that, to some extent, it's a crapshoot. At all three of my interviews last year, my fellow applicants and I could not figure out who would make the cut and who would be rejected. Whatever the case, don't be like me and let failure deflate your self esteem. Just do your best and be persistent and it will work out eventually!

Haha, I recently received a phone call from my pre-med adviser because she was "shocked and appalled" to see that I was reapplying after applying to 11 schools last year. I think my lack of success boiled down to three things; not applying to a sufficiently broad range of schools, not trying hard enough on secondaries, and, honestly, plain bad luck.

First of all, though I applied to 11 schools, they were mostly schools where my stats were slightly below average. Second, I could have done a better job on my secondaries by A.) being more school specific and B.) turning them around more quickly (some I didn't get to for a month, which, based on some speculative discussions I've read, might negatively impact the ADCOM's view of your application).

As a result of these two things, I ended up with only three interviews, one of which was at UNC, where I had a pretty solid shot at acceptance (from a statistical standpoint at least). Unfortunately, my interview at UNC was straight up bad. My interviewer and I had bad chemistry and I was feeling too nervous. My subsequent interviews at other schools were great, but unfortunately those interviewers were less influential in the admissions process (one interviewer told me she thought I would be a great student at her institution and that she sincerely hoped I'd get in...didn't seem to matter to the ADCOM). Ultimately I ended up waitlisted at one "Top 30" school in New York City, but I withdrew recently since I had already invested so much money in re-applying, and because UNC seems pretty friendly to re-applicants.

So lessons learned:

1.) Apply to a broad range of schools

2.) Work really hard on your secondaries and make sure they are as school-specific as possible.

3.) There is a significant amount of luck in this process; who interviews you, who reads your secondary, when that person reads your secondary, specific schools' ADCOM procedures, etc... There are so many intelligent and well-qualified people applying to medical school that, to some extent, it's a crapshoot. At all three of my interviews last year, my fellow applicants and I could not figure out who would make the cut and who would be rejected. Whatever the case, don't be like me and let failure deflate your self esteem. Just do your best and be persistent and it will work out eventually!

NCPremed:

Keep up the good fight, I'm sure you'll do much better this year. :thumbup:

If you don't mind sharing, what were your strongest ECs on your app last year? Did you have any significant clinical experience (other than shadowing)? Research?

Verified today. Applying MSTP. My alma mater, so I'll love UNC no matter what. :)

NCPremed:

Keep up the good fight, I'm sure you'll do much better this year. :thumbup:

If you don't mind sharing, what were your strongest ECs on your app last year? Did you have any significant clinical experience (other than shadowing)? Research?

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

I had several hundred hours of clinical exposure; mostly from working as a nursing assistant in a hospital, but also from shadowing. I also had several years of targeted drug delivery research that led to awards and a publication in a (pretty good) journal, but I was not first author. I had some other good ECs too.

Honestly, I think the main reason I didn't get into UNC was the interview; I over-prepared and allowed myself to get too nervous going in. At one point my interviewer asked me a question and I got "verbal diarrhea" and forgot what he had asked...very embarrassing. If I couldn't be confident in myself, why should my interviewer have had confidence in my ability to be a doctor? And remember, the interviews at UNC are key to your acceptance. Fortunately, my subsequent interviews throughout the rest of the cycle were MUCH better, although I still didn't get in anywhere (see above for my explanation).

The lesson here is, take advantage of any opportunities you have to do mock interviews! (And don't over-prepare)!

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

I had several hundred hours of clinical exposure; mostly from working as a nursing assistant in a hospital, but also from shadowing. I also had several years of targeted drug delivery research that led to awards and a publication in a (pretty good) journal, but I was not first author. I had some other good ECs too.

Honestly, I think the main reason I didn't get into UNC was the interview; I over-prepared and allowed myself to get too nervous going in. At one point my interviewer asked me a question and I got "verbal diarrhea" and forgot what he had asked...very embarrassing. If I couldn't be confident in myself, why should my interviewer have had confidence in my ability to be a doctor? And remember, the interviews at UNC are key to your acceptance. Fortunately, my subsequent interviews throughout the rest of the cycle were MUCH better, although I still didn't get in anywhere (see above for my explanation).

The lesson here is, take advantage of any opportunities you have to do mock interviews! (And don't over-prepare)!

Looks like you have a very solid, well-rounded app, good job! With your experience of the process from last year, I'd be surprised if you don't get into UNC.

BTW, do you remember if UNC's secondary last year had an "anything else the admissions committee should know about you" question? Is that pretty common for secondaries, or not so much?

Looks like you have a very solid, well-rounded app, good job! With your experience of the process from last year, I'd be surprised if you don't get into UNC.

BTW, do you remember if UNC's secondary last year had an "anything else the admissions committee should know about you" question? Is that pretty common for secondaries, or not so much?

Thanks for the compliments! :)

The "anything else we should know about you" question is pretty common in general on secondaries, although it was not on last year's secondary for UNC. For reference, last year's UNC prompts were:

*Respond to each prompt in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total).

Prompt 1: Choose one of your volunteer or service experiences and discuss your role of either leadership or support, and describe how it has contributed to your personal development.

Prompt 2: We strive to recruit future visionaries in the field of medicine. Please describe how you envision your contribution to the field of medicine fifteen years from now.

Prompt 3: Describe your most significant personal challenge, how it affected you and what you learned from it.

Section G: Research Interests (MD/PhD Applicants Only)
If you have identified any specific area(s) of research interest, please list them below.

Section H: Re-applicants (MD and/or MD/PhD Applicants)
Prompt 1: Explain why you have decided to reapply. Please respond in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total)

anybody heard anything so far? or are they even slower than last year :eek:

Did u guys get an email about a list Serv they made? Maybe it means they are getting ready to send out secondaries!

Did u guys get an email about a list Serv they made? Maybe it means they are getting ready to send out secondaries!

Hah yeah, I had a mini heart attack and thought it was a rejection because the email started out " We thank you again for considering UNC School of Medicine...":laugh:

Email? I didn't get it!! Ahhhhh!!! Must..remain..calm...
Hahaha jk jk but yea no email here, hope it gets to me eventually!

I just got it (1:36) so don't worry you'll be getting it soon.

Are you a re-applicant by any chance? I am, and I did not receive the email. I do believe re-applicants have to wait longer than first-time applicants before they are offered interviews.

Hah yeah, I had a mini heart attack and thought it was a rejection because the email started out " We thank you again for considering UNC School of Medicine...":laugh:
received the email as well. +1 on the heart attack part. gl to every1 waiting for secondaries

Are you a re-applicant by any chance? I am, and I did not receive the email. I do believe re-applicants have to wait longer than first-time applicants before they are offered interviews.

I am not a reapplicant, but I am an MSTP applicant. Dunno if that affects this somehow.

Never mind...just got the email haha. Ohhhh our neurotic pre-med brains. :)

I applied to UNC a few yrs ago. Let me tell you, prepare yourselves for a lot of waiting! Seriously, don't get stressed out at this point because it takes them quite some time for each and every step.

Status
Not open for further replies.