2012-2013 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I applied to UNC a few yrs ago. Let me tell you, prepare yourselves for a lot of waiting! Seriously, don't get stressed out at this point because it takes them quite some time for each and every step.

+1

Last year, I interviewed 9/7 and was told explicitly that I'd know if I was admitted before Thanksgiving... The ADCOM makes calls to accepted applicants roughly every other Monday starting in mid October, so I'd get my hopes up every other Monday between October and April, only to be rejected haha.

In fact, one Monday night I got a call from an unidentified Chapel Hill number and got really really really excited as I answered. Turns out, it was a sales call. This process really sucks at times. Hang in there everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

no sure if this has been discussed yet but i sent an email to the listserv and they told me no secondaries had been sent out yet. definitely a sigh of relief from me.

does any have a clue if the essays will be the same from last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
They're really taking their sweet time :rolleyes: looks like this will be my last secondary!

Got secondary invite. In state.

From the look of the email I don't see how secondary is an auto invite.

Got secondary invite. In state.

From the look of the email I don't see how secondary is an auto invite.
Congrats! and from what I've heard, the sec = ii means that if you're IS you're pretty much guaranteed an ii later on.

when were you guys verified?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I received my first email from unc mid July. Sorry

Just got the secondary invite OOS. So excited!!!

That's weird... I haven't gotten the secondary yet. I verified the first day.... I'm also sure my stats got me through the screen..

I've heard only ~3% of oos applicants get interviews, does anyone know how many get secondaries? or how many who get secondaries get II?

That's weird... I haven't gotten the secondary yet. I verified the first day.... I'm also sure my stats got me through the screen..

Same here, I'm sure they're still sending them out in no particular order right now. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Same here, I'm sure they're still sending them out in no particular order right now. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Does anyone know if the screen is purely based on the stats on the notification e-mail, or if that's just a prerequisite but not a guarantee of a secondary?

:eek: Secondary invite!!! OOS. Okay well my day is made.

Anyone wanna post the prompts?
Section F: Prompts (Applicants for the MD and MD/PhD Program)
*Respond to each prompt in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total).

Prompt 1: Choose one of your volunteer or service experiences and discuss your role of either leadership or support, and describe how it has contributed to your personal development.

Prompt 2: We strive to recruit future visionaries in the field of medicine. Please describe how you envision your contribution to the field of medicine fifteen years from now.

Prompt 3: Describe your most significant personal challenge, how it affected you and what you learned from it.

Section G: Research Interests (MD/PhD Applicants Only)
Please list your top 5 areas of research interest below. This list will help us determine which research faculty you should meet if you are invited for an interview

Section H: Re-applicants (MD and/or MD/PhD Applicants)
Prompt 1: Explain why you have decided to reapply. Please respond in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total).

At 150 words, these prompts take the cake for the most ridiculous ones I've seen so far haha. Most significant personal challenge in 150 words... Swag.
I was just invited a few minutes ago, OOS as well.

Secondary. IS. Does this mean interview invite?

I believe they interview most in-state applicants who complete the secondary.

As for me, I'm an in-state re-applicant...have not received secondary yet.

so the question about whether or not you have ever been suspended by any school is a little frightening. I was suspended for one day in high school for going off campus during lunch time to get some McDonald's.
I'm gonna lose out on UNC because I love McDonald's. That's lame.

Section F: Prompts (Applicants for the MD and MD/PhD Program)
*Respond to each prompt in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total).

At 150 words, these prompts take the cake for the most ridiculous ones I've seen so far haha. Most significant personal challenge in 150 words... Swag.
I was just invited a few minutes ago, OOS as well.

seriously, at 150 words I'm about to just write a haiku for each.

Lol. That would probably be more effective at getting the point across than a two paragraph essay.
Anyone having trouble uploading an image? It says it's optional, but whenever I try to upload one nothing happens. There are no details about the size image accepted and so on.

Edit: Once I saved the page it showed up.

Note that the page times out without any notification, so make sure you're not working on your essays in that window (naturally)!

so the question about whether or not you have ever been suspended by any school is a little frightening. I was suspended for one day in high school for going off campus during lunch time to get some McDonald's.
I'm gonna lose out on UNC because I love McDonald's. That's lame.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Lol. That would probably be more effective at getting the point across than a two paragraph essay.
Anyone having trouble uploading an image? It says it's optional, but whenever I try to upload one nothing happens. There are no details about the size image accepted and so on.

Note that the page times out without any notification, so make sure you're not working on your essays in that window (naturally)!
I'm having the same problem. Hopefully it's a glitch and they'll fix it soon.

yeah mine timed out- forgot to upload an image the second time around- oh well.

Has any submitted their application? It's really buggy for me and keeps deleting all of my responses and such. I also couldn't type anything in the boxes for the "Technical Standards Agreement".

I've heard only ~3% of oos applicants get interviews, does anyone know how many get secondaries? or how many who get secondaries get II?

Well 3700 completed applications out of state last year, so everyone apparently gets a secondary. 122 interview invites

Last edited:
Has any submitted their application? It's really buggy for me and keeps deleting all of my responses and such. I also couldn't type anything in the boxes for the "Technical Standards Agreement".

I submitted- hopefully everything that needed to be filled out was- It's definitely buggy- lost everything once as login apparently times out with no warning

Well 3700 completed applications out of state last year, so everyone apparently gets a secondary. 122 interview invites. I wish I had known my friend had the MSAR before applying here OOS :thumbdown:

Not even gonna bother completing this secondary, cutting my losses at 35 dollars
The 3700 on the MSAR is the number of "Verified Applications" not the number of those who do secondaries. Even if you don't fill out the secondary, you would still count under that number.

What other parts are on the secondary besides the prompts? What other info does it ask for?

What other parts are on the secondary besides the prompts? What other info does it ask for?

It also asked for name, address, etc. - demographical stuff. Then it asked a few questions about your criminal/military background, which required no written responses if it didn't apply to you.

Is this a strict 150 word count? Literally the hardest topics to fit in those limits.

Is this a strict 150 word count? Literally the hardest topics to fit in those limits.

I went over a few words (~20) so I don't think it's really that strict. All of the words still appear in the printable report that's available, so I'd say go for it. :p

Also, for those of you that are still wondering due to the wording of the email, a secondary for an instate applicant = interview invite. I called the admissions office today and confirmed it.

is everyone uploading a photo? i can't find a passport-style picture of myself...does a mirror-shot of me in the bathroom doing the duck face work? jk but how professional should I look in my pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.