2012-2013 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

If you have already completed your education, if your college or graduate education was interrupted, or if you do not plan to be a full-time student during the current year, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (maximum 1800 characters including spaces)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does WashU screen secondaries?

EDIT: Also, I have not yet been verified by AMCAS (I estimate that I am just 1-2 days away from verification) but I just received WashU's secondary. I assume I have been verified but that AMCAS hasn't updated my application yet? Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My application hasn't been verified yet -- my last transcript got there 5 days ago. I got a secondary too.

How do people feel about leaving the optional essays blank if they don't really apply?
I'm feeling uneasy doing it, but have nothing to say. For the obstacles, would discussing my status as a re-applicant apply?

Just submitted the secondary! Short and sweet.

Oh, and I didn't fill out the optional essay. Judging from last year's thread it seemed kind of unnecessary if you don't have something in particular to put there.

No email of secondary for me yet :( I don't think it has anything to do with screening though, because my stats are at their average.. Hopefully they're just slowly working through sending out the emails?

Last edited:
Gotta go dig out my sat scores to complete this secondary

Haha yes! I'm happy I've been using the same password for the past several years so I was able to log in to collegeboard with no problems.

I have a question about the Dean's Certification thing. If I took a few classes from a local CC, but did not get a degree from there (or had any institutional action put against me), do I need to get a Dean's Certification from them, or should it just be from my home university where I actually graduated with a degree?

So it seems last year they required 3 teacher letters of rec (if your school doesn't have a committee). I haven't been able to find the detailed instructions for this year yet. Do you think it's still 3? That's pretty hard for a post-bacc student to get because I've been out of school for a while and therefore can only ask my recent teachers (and you know it's difficult to get letters from 100% of them)

Members don't see this ad :)
So it seems last year they required 3 teacher letters of rec (if your school doesn't have a committee). I haven't been able to find the detailed instructions for this year yet. Do you think it's still 3? That's pretty hard for a post-bacc student to get because I've been out of school for a while and therefore can only ask my recent teachers (and you know it's difficult to get letters from 100% of them)
It says on the secondary it is three i believe

I contacted WU and here is their response: "Thank you for your e-mail. As long as one of your letters comes from a science teacher, the other letters can come from anyone you choose."

I contacted WU and here is their response: "Thank you for your e-mail. As long as one of your letters comes from a science teacher, the other letters can come from anyone you choose."

Thanks bmitw!

Gotta go dig out my sat scores to complete this secondary

Don't have to! It's optional/not used for admissions purposes. I'm pretty sure all of those high-school related questions are for statistics only.

Don't have to! It's optional/not used for admissions purposes. I'm pretty sure all of those high-school related questions are for statistics only.

Are you positive? How do you know that?

Are you positive? How do you know that?

It says "Optional" on the secondary. Also, I think people clarified on past threads that it's only for statistical purposes (you can look there or e-mail WashU to double check). For what it's worth, I'm not including those items.

Edit: Really, I'm not sure. It's optional, though, so I don't think it's a huge deal either way. I'm sure there will be some self-selection--those with good scores/rank will include it, others won't.

Last edited:
I have a question about the Dean's Certification thing. If I took a few classes from a local CC, but did not get a degree from there (or had any institutional action put against me), do I need to get a Dean's Certification from them, or should it just be from my home university where I actually graduated with a degree?
The page where you can print out the form says: "Certification form(s) must be submitted on your behalf by an official at each undergraduate or graduate institution listed on your AMCAS Application from which you have received or expect to receive a degree in addition to any other school in which you were enrolled and were involved in a disciplinary or institutional action."

So it sounds like you shouldn't need to get the Certification from the CC.

What did you guys put down for the Calculus classes? I took Calculus I, but that's it. I also took two semesters of Statistics classes (and it says that they can substitute for the second semester of Calculus), but I'm not sure if I should put down my Stat classes as well on the list needed for the secondary. Any advice?

Anyone applying MSTP?

There is the original essay for MD only:
If you have already completed your education, if your college or graduate education was interrupted, or if you do not plan to be a full-time student during the current year, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (maximum 1800 characters including spaces)

And on the MSTP section there is:
If you plan to complete your undergraduate degree program prior to next spring, briefly describe (maximum of 1800 characters including spaces) your activities from graduation to your anticipated matriculation in our program.

Am i supposed to write two different essays that say the same thing?

I'm also curious about this, because they seem to be the same exact question. I'm guessing MSTP Admissions people receive only the MSTP part so they need to ask it again? Or is that completely wrong?

What did you guys put down for the Calculus classes? I took Calculus I, but that's it. I also took two semesters of Statistics classes (and it says that they can substitute for the second semester of Calculus), but I'm not sure if I should put down my Stat classes as well on the list needed for the secondary. Any advice?

They ask for calculus specifically, or any course involving integrals or differential equations. If your stats classes were that advanced (statistics surely involves those things past the introductory level), then I'd say it's okay to list. Otherwise, no, the calculus I should be sufficient. They'll see the statistics courses on your AMCAS anyway.

They ask for calculus specifically, or any course involving integrals or differential equations. If your stats classes were that advanced (statistics surely involves those things past the introductory level), then I'd say it's okay to list. Otherwise, no, the calculus I should be sufficient. They'll see the statistics courses on your AMCAS anyway.
My stats classes were so long ago that I can't remember if they involved that stuff or not, lol.

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to make sense of this question. From what I can tell, it seems to ask about (unique experiences) OR (obstacles that you have overcome), but my friend says it's more like (unique experiences or obstacles) that you have overcome, which doesn't make much sense to me. What do you guys think? I would call them, but it's the weekend.

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to make sense of this question. From what I can tell, it seems to ask about (unique experiences) OR (obstacles that you have overcome), but my friend says it's more like (unique experiences or obstacles) that you have overcome, which doesn't make much sense to me. What do you guys think? I would call them, but it's the weekend.
We don't have to answer this question, right? I took it as one of those "if there is anything unusual that you had to go through, please tell us" question, and I decided not to answer it.

We don't have to answer this question, right? I took it as one of those "if there is anything unusual that you had to go through, please tell us" question, and I decided not to answer it.

I decided not to answer it. I didn't have any obstacles that I wanted to talk about(at least that weren't elaborated on primary).

For the optional essay, I think that I'm just going to say something along the lines of "The greatest challenges I've overcome -- [insert challenges] -- have already been described in the primary application." just so that they are reminded of those challenges.

If I didn't talk about my study abroad program in my primary -- going off to a foreign country alone, studying in a Medical Practice & Policy program -- do you think I should include that here? Should I just wait for an interview to talk about it? It's pretty important for my experience with medicine but didn't fit into my personal statement.

For the optional essay, I think that I'm just going to say something along the lines of "The greatest challenges I've overcome -- [insert challenges] -- have already been described in the primary application." just so that they are reminded of those challenges.

If I didn't talk about my study abroad program in my primary -- going off to a foreign country alone, studying in a Medical Practice & Policy program -- do you think I should include that here? Should I just wait for an interview to talk about it? It's pretty important for my experience with medicine but didn't fit into my personal statement.

I wouldn't talk about it unless you consider it a negative experience from which you've learned a lot. The prompt is asking for an obstacle/experience you've had to overcome - most people don't see their study abroad experience as an obstacle.

Yeah, I still think it's one of those "if you went through something unusual and would like to let us know, please tell us" type of questions. Plenty of secondaries have those questions. I don't think it's supposed to be used to describe another one of your EC's or as a second PS.

Just a note: The Wash U app doesn't LOOK like it logs you out after an extended period of time, but it does. So don't type your essay unless you've freshly logged in, otherwise when you go to save, it takes you to the log in screen and you'll lose everything.

*Smacks head*

Hey, everyone. So I'm looking at the course requirements for Wash U. "Required course work includes a minimum of one year in biological science, general or inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physics and calculus through integral and differential equations..." Through integral and differential equations? I took Calculus 2 at my school, and we had an introduction to differential equations. Would that be enough for their requirements, or should I consider taking a course next year?

I believe Calc 1 & Calc 2 would meet the requirement for "differential and integral equations." You might want to email them just to make sure.

I called the admissions office, and they told me that if you're planning on using a Statistics course to substitute for one of the Calculus courses, you SHOULD list it in that "Calculus" part of the secondary application.

I called the admissions office, and they told me that if you're planning on using a Statistics course to substitute for one of the Calculus courses, you SHOULD list it in that "Calculus" part of the secondary application.

Awesome! Thanks!

I need to re-print the WashU Dean's Certification form, but for some reason can no longer access the website even though it says I can log back in to check my status at any time. Can someone PLEASE save the form as a PDF and email me the file?

Do we really have to put down our SSN on the Dean's Certification form? I don't want that number floating around the Dean's office. Would the AAMC ID# be enough?

What is the Dean's Certification form?

I need to re-print the WashU Dean's Certification form, but for some reason can no longer access the website even though it says I can log back in to check my status at any time. Can someone PLEASE save the form as a PDF and email me the file?

I had that problem too, and I think it's a browser problem. It just kept taking me back to the login page when I tried to log in. I switched to Firefox (was using Chrome before) and it let me back in.

hey guys,
I'm matriculating this fall to Wash U.
I sent in my secondaries in September, got an interview invitation in December. I was waitlisted and got accepted in May. I personally didn't have stellar MCAT score and I applied as an international, but it was possible :)

Wash U. has phenomenal scholarship and financial aid. The school also has stellar opportunities that are incomparable.

I'm afraid I don't really remember much from the primaries/secondaries, but I will try to answer as many questions as possible about interviews (Wash U tends to send out interviews later) and school life once I matriculate in August.

Good luck!

I believe Calc 1 & Calc 2 would meet the requirement for "differential and integral equations." You might want to email them just to make sure.

Sorry for the delayed response. Yeah, I emailed them, and they said it should be sufficient. Back to the topic at hand.

Right when I submitted the 'Supplemental Application,' the corresponding checkmark appeared on the 'Check Application Status' page. Though, it has been several hours since I submitted my 'Application Service Fee' and the checkmark has yet to appear. Was there a delay for anyone else?

Right when I submitted the 'Supplemental Application,' the corresponding checkmark appeared on the 'Check Application Status' page. Though, it has been several hours since I submitted my 'Application Service Fee' and the checkmark has yet to appear. Was there a delay for anyone else?

I submitted the fee on Sunday and only saw the checkmark today.

i have two questions
1. if i have taken Calculus BC and received AP Credit at my institution and have taken only one other calculus course (Functions of several variables, vector-valued functions, partial derivatives and applications, double and
triple integrals, conic sections, polar coordinates, vectors and vector calculus, first order ordinary
differential equations), should I list the Calc BC and the other calc course?

2. Since I am not completely set on courses for senior year, can i put a calc course down even though i did not put it on my amcas (guessed on future coursework)?

3. can being overweight be an obstacle i discuss

Question, for interfolio sending the letters to AMCAS, when it asks for 3 letter writers, does entering their email mean that they will be prompted to write another letter, or will interfolio send the 3 letters to them? I had no committee at my school, and so I just wanted to clarify how that would work.

Question, for interfolio sending the letters to AMCAS, when it asks for 3 letter writers, does entering their email mean that they will be prompted to write another letter, or will interfolio send the 3 letters to them? I had no committee at my school, and so I just wanted to clarify how that would work.

Interfolio will deliver the letters to AMCAS. Once the letter writers have submitted to Interfolio, they've completed their job.

Interfolio will deliver the letters to AMCAS. Once the letter writers have submitted to Interfolio, they've completed their job.

Thanks. I sometimes hate this application process cause it's confusing some times. and you have to pay extra for secondaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.