2008-2009 Columbia College of P&S Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Collegiate Extracurricular Activities" to me means activities you did while in college... so for this you would put volunteering/shadowing/hobbies under this section since it fits even less in the work section.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I better hurry up - you guys are leaving me in the dust! I'm going to work on it this weekend - this secondary seems like it's going to take a lot of work.

Take your time! None of them have requested letters yet, so it doesn't really matter :)

After we submit the secondary online, aren't we supposed to have our letters sent to the school?

What do you mean none of them have requested letters yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, well, ofcourse I Don't know for sure.

I thought thats what the ?? means, next to letters of recommendation on the list of people who submitted.

After we submit the secondary online, aren't we supposed to have our letters sent to the school?

What do you mean none of them have requested letters yet?

My letters were automatically submitted to all my schools via Virtual Evals last week. We aren't sure whether schools have received the letters is what the "??" are all about.

In good news I think I'm going to submit this app later today! Finally wrote my essay and am happy with it.

anyone know the answer to this?

(ONLY IF THEY ARE SENDING A LETTER ON YOUR BEHALF)"

Does that mean I should write packet if my pre-health advisor is actually writing me a letter?

or does that mean I should write packet if my pre-health advisor is compiling letters from my other professors, but there is no actual committee letter?

Ok this is interesting...

The main essay prompt asks what Satisfactions we expect to receive as a physician.

This was basically 90% of my AMCAS Personal Statement. I wrote on and on about this topic already. How the hell do I answer this new prompt without regurgitating what I already said in my PS? :confused: Can I just say "see PS"? lol.

Ok this is interesting...

The main essay prompt asks what Satisfactions we expect to receive as a physician.

This was basically 90% of my AMCAS Personal Statement. I wrote on and on about this topic already. How the hell do I answer this new prompt without regurgitating what I already said in my PS? :confused: Can I just say "see PS"? lol.

Yea, it is really similar to the PS... i just thought of a different reason for my interest that I didn't really explore much in the PS.... that's probably not really helpful haha, sorry.

One quick question: Does anyone know how we should format paragraphs in the essay? Hit enter? Though when you do that, the paragraph breaks aren't reflected on the HTML printout of the application... will the admissions office receive it with the breaks or not?

Yea, it is really similar to the PS... i just thought of a different reason for my interest that I didn't really explore much in the PS.... that's probably not really helpful haha, sorry.

One quick question: Does anyone know how we should format paragraphs in the essay? Hit enter? Though when you do that, the paragraph breaks aren't reflected on the HTML printout of the application... will the admissions office receive it with the breaks or not?

I hit enter twice. That leaves you with a blank row between paragraphs.

Somehow my why Pritzker essay fits in really well with the Columbia one o.0
Just realized...

Somehow my why Pritzker essay fits in really well with the Columbia one o.0
Just realized...

Opportunity knocks! Now if only you hadn't said that in public!:laugh:

Secondaries

sss403: Submitted 6/15, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
seven87: Submitted 6/18, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
Shemarty: Submitted: 6/19, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
ar2388: Submitted: 6/24, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
Waterlilly: Submitted: 6/27, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
copingmethods: Submitted: 6/29, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
Vadd0: Submitted: 7/2, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
Isis24: Submitted: 7/2, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
Myuuchan: Submitted: 7/6, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Are you guys going to enter info specific to columbia in your essay? Like, I want to be a doctor because I like research and by the way columbia has good research (of course, stated much more eloquently)?

Also, in my primary application PS, I told a story and tried to be a little more creative with my essay. Should I do something similar with this essay or should I be straight forward?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys going to enter info specific to columbia in your essay? Like, I want to be a doctor because I like research and by the way columbia has good research (of course, stated much more eloquently)?

Also, in my primary application PS, I told a story and tried to be a little more creative with my essay. Should I do something similar with this essay or should I be straight forward?

1. I didn't do Columbia specific info. Although you could argue that since I was talking about the satisfactions of academic medicine that it can be assumed that I am interested in the top research institutions. How does "satisfactions" as a physician talk about your med school education directly?

2. I don't think that they really want a creative approach. Going more straightforward is probably what they want here.

1. I didn't do Columbia specific info. Although you could argue that since I was talking about the satisfactions of academic medicine that it can be assumed that I am interested in the top research institutions. How does "satisfactions" as a physician talk about your med school education directly?

2. I don't think that they really want a creative approach. Going more straightforward is probably what they want here.

I agree with both of these points.

One further question: what was the structure of your essays? Mine was originally going to be intro, point 1, point 2, and conclusion, but as the character limit draws near it looks like I will have to combine point one and two.

I agree with both of these points.

One further question: what was the structure of your essays? Mine was originally going to be intro, point 1, point 2, and conclusion, but as the character limit draws near it looks like I will have to combine point one and two.

Mine is Intro, point 1, point 2, point 3, conclusion. Somehow I got in just under 2400 characters. I am very explicit and to the point. I think you can shorten your intro and conclusion since you really want to make your points as they are the most important part of your essay.

I wouldn't be so caught up with the structure of the essay as much as just the content. Mine is a pseduo-intro, point 1 and point 2. Like rowerlauren said, be direct and to the point.

I wouldn't be so caught up with the structure of the essay as much as just the content. Mine is a pseduo-intro, point 1 and point 2. Like rowerlauren said, be direct and to the point.

No conclusion? But youre right, I will cut out some of the BS in my intro/conclusion to make more room for the body.

I haven't written any conclusions for any of my secondaries.. waste of space. Just 1 sentence intro, point 1, 2, 3.

I haven't written any conclusions for any of my secondaries.. waste of space. Just 1 sentence intro, point 1, 2, 3.

I agree that its a waste of space, but Columbia did say to "enter your response in essay format."

I agree that its a waste of space, but Columbia did say to "enter your response in essay format."

conclusion or not, I think that's up to you... but they probably just don't want you to list a bunch of things in bullets

Yeah they emphasize essay format like the emphasize making a list for the other questions. Its just so you don't make a list for that question, like "help people, do innovative research, save a life, etc"

And with such a small character limit, I just didn't have enough room to wrap up my essay in a conclusion paragraph. I think that given the amount of essays adcoms read, it really doesn't make a huge difference. They probably just skim through it anyways, so I would concentrate most on getting the concrete points across.

Would it be ok if I used semicolons (;) instead of commas as instructed? I am tempted to use semicolons because they seem to better separate my different activities/awards.

For example: Bio, Chem, Phy Tutor; Cashier at a gas station; etc.

instead of: Bio, Chem, Phy Tutor, Cashier at a gas station, etc.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Would it be ok if I used semicolons (;) instead of commas as instructed? I am tempted to use semicolons because they seem to better separate my different activities/awards.

For example: Bio, Chem, Phy Tutor; Cashier at a gas station; etc.

instead of: Bio, Chem, Phy Tutor, Cashier at a gas station, etc.

Any suggestions are welcome!

I'm sure that would be fine. Especially because Bio, Chem, Phy Tutor has commas within it.

Secondaries

rplyler1: Submitted: 7/8, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Secondaries

rowerlauren: Submitted: 7/8, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Congrats Rowerlauren and Rpyler1 for submitting today! :D

Whoohoooo!!!

That's all I had to say :oops:

Yeah I told my roommate that if didn't finish it today she had free reign to slap me across the face a couple times... So I submitted it, now onto U Chicago/working/putting together a presentation/writing a paper.

Secondaries

dr drummer: Submitted: 7/8, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Nobody's letters have been received yet? Are you guys calling to ask if they got them, or do they send you confirmation.

Secondaries

I just submitted my letters on 7/7/08 and I plan to call them in 1 week if they don't notify me that they've been received.

I just submitted my letters on 7/7/08 and I plan to call them in 1 week if they don't notify me that they've been received.
Wow-- I submitted my letters on 6/18... maybe I should email or call them...

So umm... can we submit the app w/o having sent the letters yet? There is a checkbox that says "Letters sent: Yes/no" ... I'm having them sent soon, but I'm otherwise done with the secondary. I'm reluctant to submit it with the No box checked though...

What you guys think? Submit with no box checked?

So umm... can we submit the app w/o having sent the letters yet? There is a checkbox that says "Letters sent: Yes/no" ... I'm having them sent soon, but I'm otherwise done with the secondary. I'm reluctant to submit it with the No box checked though...

What you guys think? Submit with no box checked?

I checked "yes" even though I hadn't submitted the letters at the time when I submitted the secondary. I had planned to submit the letters ASAP. I didn't quite understand the question, actually. Did they just want to know whether they should expect to receive the letters soon?

Anyway, if your letters are almost ready, I might just go ahead and check "yes". Feel free to call the office to ask about this, though.

I submitted prior to sending my letters.

coping, when you submitted prior to having letters sent, did you check No for "letters sent" ?

Ok thanks.

I sent my school the forms they need to send out my Committee letter today. So technically they wont receive that for another few days, and then probably wont send their own letter to Columbia for a few more days, but I'm just gonna say I sent em and leave the rest to my Committee.

I've been done with this secondary for awhile now and just letting it sit till these letters got sent.

Has anyone taken the MCAT twice? Look in the pdf form of your app and you will notice that only one score is there. Only the first score that you list shows up on the pdf app. And, the pdf app is just disorganized in general. It repeats some info and puts the essays in the middle of personal info. It even ends on "Page 5 of 7." This, plus the Sept 2008/9 issue makes me think that Columbia has messed up big on their app. I will call tomorrow morning.

Anyone else notice this problem with the MCAT scores, etc?

Has anyone taken the MCAT twice? Look in the pdf form of your app and you will notice that only one score is there. Only the first score that you list shows up on the pdf app. And, the pdf app is just disorganized in general. It repeats some info and puts the essays in the middle of personal info. It even ends on "Page 5 of 7." This, plus the Sept 2008/9 issue makes me think that Columbia has messed up big on their app. I will call tomorrow morning.

You're not alone, pal. I saw the same thing.

Hi guys,

I do not think that that letters for anyone have been marked as received yet. I sent mine via virtual evaluations on June 6th, and I still have not received an e-mail from them saying that they got them. We probably just have to wait it out :D.

does columbia respond to emails?? i emailed asking about that sept 2008 - 2009 thing and have had no reply. emailed june 30.

I didnt see any "letters sent" check box on the application. The only question relating to LOR i saw was: Have you requested your College Premedical Committee, Advisor or Letter Service to send us a recommendation?

Are we all being given different versions of the application so we dont cheat off of each other?

And just to confirm one more time: do we need to mail in a hard copy of the application along with our photo and payment voucher?

I didnt see any "letters sent" check box on the application. The only question relating to LOR i saw was: Have you requested your College Premedical Committee, Advisor or Letter Service to send us a recommendation?

Are we all being given different versions of the application so we dont cheat off of each other?

And just to confirm one more time: do we need to mail in a hard copy of the application along with our photo and payment voucher?

No hard copy.

I called Columbia, and they basically said to disregard the pdf. So just proof your app in the online form.

virtual evals has been around for a while right?

There seems to be a lot of glitches..

happyandswell: Submitted: 7/9, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Anyone know what I should put in the personal information part of the app when they ask:
permenant address good until:
email address good until:

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.