You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 NYU Secondary Application Thread
Started by ButImLETired
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
i have whats probably a silly question, and its coming just because i absolutely cannot bring my essay under the limit. does the 1500 character limit include spaces?
Yes, spaces are included. Also, make sure to go through an intermediate basic text editor (like Windows' Notepad). Copy-pasting directly from MS Word can sometimes cause html-based character counters to miscalculate.
Hey Guys,
So I just called the admissions office and asked about the "Final Decision Pending" status. The lady on the phone told me that it DOES NOT mean you were rejected. It means your application was sent to the admissions committee for evaluation. If a decision is made to offer you an interview, you should hear back from NYU within (and I quote) "a couple weeks to a month" after first seeing the "final decision pending" status. Otherwise, you can assume a rejection and will be notified on March 3rd.
Hope that helps!
Couple weeks to a month, huh? So I guess I shouldn't be nervous just yet.........

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know if you can tell if youre letters have been received by the status page? mine says " Application in Process - You should hear from our office within 4-6 weeks. " Does this mean they have my letters?
Bump!! I have the same exact question!

Scean: Received 7/17; Submitted 7/17; Complete 7/18
copingmethods: Received: 7/17; Submitted: 7/18; Complete: 7/29
CancerKiller007: Received: 7/30; Submitted: 7/31; Complete:???
ar2388: Received 7/18; Submitted 8/4; Complete 8/6
aznb0y129: Received 7/18; Submitted 8/21; Complete: 9/10
JoJo23497: Received 7/24; Submitted 9/1; Complete: ???
ami1983: Received:7/31; Submitted 9/5; Complete: 9/16
js1704: SR:7/17; SS: 8/4; C: 8/20; II: 9/15; I: 10/15
copingmethods: Received: 7/17; Submitted: 7/18; Complete: 7/29
CancerKiller007: Received: 7/30; Submitted: 7/31; Complete:???
ar2388: Received 7/18; Submitted 8/4; Complete 8/6
aznb0y129: Received 7/18; Submitted 8/21; Complete: 9/10
JoJo23497: Received 7/24; Submitted 9/1; Complete: ???
ami1983: Received:7/31; Submitted 9/5; Complete: 9/16
js1704: SR:7/17; SS: 8/4; C: 8/20; II: 9/15; I: 10/15
Scean: Received 7/17; Submitted 7/17; Complete 7/18
copingmethods: Received: 7/17; Submitted: 7/18; Complete: 7/29
CancerKiller007: Received: 7/30; Submitted: 7/31; Complete:???
ar2388: Received 7/18; Submitted 8/4; Complete 8/6
aznb0y129: Received 7/18; Submitted 8/21; Complete: 9/10
JoJo23497: Received 7/24; Submitted 9/1; Complete: ???
ami1983: Received:7/31; Submitted 9/5; Complete: 9/16
franniemeow07: Received 8/14; Submitted: 9/23; Complete: 10/2
js1704: SR:7/17; SS: 8/4; C: 8/20; II: 9/15; I: 10/15
copingmethods: Received: 7/17; Submitted: 7/18; Complete: 7/29
CancerKiller007: Received: 7/30; Submitted: 7/31; Complete:???
ar2388: Received 7/18; Submitted 8/4; Complete 8/6
aznb0y129: Received 7/18; Submitted 8/21; Complete: 9/10
JoJo23497: Received 7/24; Submitted 9/1; Complete: ???
ami1983: Received:7/31; Submitted 9/5; Complete: 9/16
franniemeow07: Received 8/14; Submitted: 9/23; Complete: 10/2
js1704: SR:7/17; SS: 8/4; C: 8/20; II: 9/15; I: 10/15
I noticed this change today. Here is the FULL message:
Final Decision Pending - All final decisions will be sent on March 3rd.
Not sure what to make of it. From what we know so far, that message could mean anything... But I'm not feeling too good about my chances. Is this what you got trojanMD? No one ever posted the FULL message, so I was just curious..
EDIT: Nvm, I went a page or two back and I see the full message.. Anyway, I don't think anyone got any interview invites after seeing that message...based on what I can gather from the thread.
Final Decision Pending - All final decisions will be sent on March 3rd.
Not sure what to make of it. From what we know so far, that message could mean anything... But I'm not feeling too good about my chances. Is this what you got trojanMD? No one ever posted the FULL message, so I was just curious..
EDIT: Nvm, I went a page or two back and I see the full message.. Anyway, I don't think anyone got any interview invites after seeing that message...based on what I can gather from the thread.
Last edited:
I noticed this change today. Here is the FULL message:
Final Decision Pending - All final decisions will be sent on March 3rd.
Not sure what to make of it. From what we know so far, that message could mean anything... But I'm not feeling too good about my chances. Is this what you got trojanMD? No one ever posted the FULL message, so I was just curious..
EDIT: Nvm, I went a page or two back and I see the full message.. Anyway, I don't think anyone got any interview invites after seeing that message...based on what I can gather from the thread.
I think it's a pre-interview hold. If you don't get an interview invite by March 3rd then you'll be rejected. I have the same message.
Hey, Do you mind sharing your stats, since I took the Aug 15th MCAT and applied to NYUI'm pretty sure this means I'm rejected but my status page says "Final decision pending." Does anybody know for sure what this means? I am guessing rejection b/c NYU is a reach school for my stats
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hold your horses, people!! Just bc the few ppl who got interviews happens to be filed with the "Application Under Review" status doesn't necessarily mean you're rejected if you don't have this message. Let's not jump to hasty conclusions here. (so I see the glass half full - shoot me =)
Here's my reasoning - it depends on how early your app is complete and the starting of interview invites. NYU just started sending interview invites after 9/15 presumably to MD applicants, so of course they are going to send it to those who are in the FIRST batch of apps with good stats. Now, I can't speak for those on SDN who got invites from NYU, but ar2388 was completed in Aug and technically she is considered the EARLY EARLY batch. If you are completed by Aug too but still haven't gotten an interview and received a "Final Decision pending," you might be placed on a pre-interview hold as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.
The best thing to do is to wait and see how it plays out, but I wouldn't be too worried about it, since NYU just started their interviewing sessions.
Here's my reasoning - it depends on how early your app is complete and the starting of interview invites. NYU just started sending interview invites after 9/15 presumably to MD applicants, so of course they are going to send it to those who are in the FIRST batch of apps with good stats. Now, I can't speak for those on SDN who got invites from NYU, but ar2388 was completed in Aug and technically she is considered the EARLY EARLY batch. If you are completed by Aug too but still haven't gotten an interview and received a "Final Decision pending," you might be placed on a pre-interview hold as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.
The best thing to do is to wait and see how it plays out, but I wouldn't be too worried about it, since NYU just started their interviewing sessions.
They seem to have a real issue with letters.
I sent the secondary in July but got hung up on a late letter of rec that arrived to them on 09/08/08.
I know they are busy and don't want to risk pissing anyone off by calling.
I just sent an e-mail. Still, once it reaches a month without acknowlegement, I may have to call.
I sent the secondary in July but got hung up on a late letter of rec that arrived to them on 09/08/08.
I know they are busy and don't want to risk pissing anyone off by calling.
I just sent an e-mail. Still, once it reaches a month without acknowlegement, I may have to call.
Last edited:
hold your horses, people!! Just bc the few ppl who got interviews happens to be filed with the "Application Under Review" status doesn't necessarily mean you're rejected if you don't have this message. Let's not jump to hasty conclusions here. (so I see the glass half full - shoot me =)
Here's my reasoning - it depends on how early your app is complete and the starting of interview invites. NYU just started sending interview invites after 9/15 presumably to MD applicants, so of course they are going to send it to those who are in the FIRST batch of apps with good stats. Now, I can't speak for those on SDN who got invites from NYU, but ar2388 was completed in Aug and technically she is considered the EARLY EARLY batch. If you are completed by Aug too but still haven't gotten an interview and received a "Final Decision pending," you might be placed on a pre-interview hold as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.
The best thing to do is to wait and see how it plays out, but I wouldn't be too worried about it, since NYU just started their interviewing sessions.
I like your optimism!
got an email from the office of multicultural affairs, saying that they hoped i was a good fit. I think it was generic, but I haven't gotten word of an interview invite? did ne1 else get this? what to make of it?
Are you sure it was from NYU? I thought Columbia has a "multiculural affairs" office but NYU has "diversity affairs".got an email from the office of multicultural affairs, saying that they hoped i was a good fit. I think it was generic, but I haven't gotten word of an interview invite? did ne1 else get this? what to make of it?
hey so when I interviewed at NYU, my day started around 8:30 or 9 and thats when i interviewed with a faculty member for 30 min. Then we had until like 11 when we went for a tour and lunch. Some ppl also didnt have interviews until after the tour so that is also a possibility.
Are you sure it was from NYU? I thought Columbia has a "multiculural affairs" office but NYU has "diversity affairs".
yea, you're right, it is the Diveristy Affairs office. It was sent from Ugo Ezenkwele. But it still seems generic. But it strikes me as odd that they would send this, and then deny an interview. hmpf...anyone else get it? or did anyone who interviewed/didnt interview get it?
Well I'm URM and I didn't get the e-mail....so it must mean something, and probably something good. 🙂 I did get the e-mail from one of the faculty (presumably hispanic from the last name) and I'd be curious to know if everyone else also received it.yea, you're right, it is the Diveristy Affairs office. It was sent from Ugo Ezenkwele. But it still seems generic. But it strikes me as odd that they would send this, and then deny an interview. hmpf...anyone else get it? or did anyone who interviewed/didnt interview get it?
yea, you're right, it is the Diveristy Affairs office. It was sent from Ugo Ezenkwele. But it still seems generic. But it strikes me as odd that they would send this, and then deny an interview. hmpf...anyone else get it? or did anyone who interviewed/didnt interview get it?
Well I'm URM and I didn't get the e-mail....so it must mean something, and probably something good. 🙂 I did get the e-mail from one of the faculty (presumably hispanic from the last name) and I'd be curious to know if everyone else also received it.
I'm URM and i haven't gotten jack! when did yall submit/complete?
I was complete mid September and I have had "complete - under review" on my status page since then. It's possible they don't get in touch with you until they actually start reviewing your application.I'm URM and i haven't gotten jack! when did yall submit/complete?
I was complete mid September and I have had "complete - under review" on my status page since then. It's possible they don't get in touch with you until they actually start reviewing your application.
ditto... hmm thats strange
I don't think anyone with the "final decision" message has gotten an interview yet. We think it's a pre-interview hold so it might take some time to be reviewed again.how long after "final decision pending" does it take to get an interview
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think anyone with the "final decision" message has gotten an interview yet. We think it's a pre-interview hold so it might take some time to be reviewed again.
how long did it take to go from complete to "final decision"?
I've been under review for about 2 months now! 😕
I've been under review for about 2 months now! 😕
Same here. I feel frightened like there's an NYU rejection monster under my bed!
haha let's hope not.Same here. I feel frightened like there's an NYU rejection monster under my bed!
haha let's hope not.
i received an invite last week after being complete since the end of july, so dont lose hope!
ohh that's good to know! thanks!i received an invite last week after being complete since the end of july, so dont lose hope!
So I'm still not complete, because apparently I have missing letters (I sent them in late August). I called the office, and once they asked my last name, the lady said that they probably have my letters, but haven't put them in yet, and said something about doing it in alphabetical order. Did anyone else hear that? Should I give them a call again and try to talk to someone else? It doesn't seem fair to do that sort of thing in alphabetical order, especially if you're towards the end of the alphabet
What is the link you use to check your status?
Status check thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=550744
NYU: https://tools.med.nyu.edu/AMCASSupp....CustomUserLogOn&CFID=450391&CFTOKEN=56782154
Hey, I just finally got the complete email today... Resent my letters 3 weeks ago!I've been under review for about 2 months now! 😕
Now only Hopkins left to declare me complete.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow. Now, get ready for a long wait!Hey, I just finally got the complete email today... Resent my letters 3 weeks ago!
Now only Hopkins left to declare me complete.
also NYU JUST started interviews. their first day of interviewing was oct 6
¡claro que sí! that's what's been keeping a smile on my face. =)
I just realized I SPELLED MY NAME WRONG on this app. oops. 🙄
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K