2008-2009 University of Central Florida (UCF) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I wonder how many people they will be accepting on December 10th.

prolly another 4-6, im guessing half of which will come off the current waitlist

Members don't see this ad.

prolly another 4-6, im guessing half of which will come off the current waitlist

If I'm doing the math correctly, at that rate of acceptance, UCF will be accepting applicants into December of next year!!

Maybe I've got the math wrong :confused::confused:.

Wouldn't they finish interviewing before they make decisions from the current waitlist? They could always accept a bunch in May or April like UF does.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't they finish interviewing before they make decisions from the current waitlist? They could always accept a bunch in May or April like UF does.

It's not a stagnant waitlist. It's more like a hold than a true waitlist.

We get evaluated each month, too, with new people who have interviewed.

If I'm doing the math correctly, at that rate of acceptance, UCF will be accepting applicants into December of next year!!

Maybe I've got the math wrong :confused::confused:.

lol yeah seriously, and they have to have their class filled by march 15th. maybe they'll accept more ppl in this next release

lol yeah seriously, and they have to have their class filled by march 15th. maybe they'll accept more ppl in this next release

I hope so!! I assume that the admissions office is taking a month break over the holidays :confused: (perhaps that's an erroneous assumption).

Hey All,

For those of you that have interviewed already, would you mind sharing information about your travel experience? I will be flying into Orlando and am trying to find the most financially appropriate way to travel to the university. (Taxi, shuttle,, rent a car, etc.) In addition, did anyone stay in the hotels that UCF recommended, or do you have other hotels to recommend?

Thanks!

March 15th? Is that the week of the final interviews or something? Where did you hear this? Just curious.

March 15th? Is that the week of the final interviews or something? Where did you hear this? Just curious.

I think that's just the date by which all medical schools are required to have their classes filled. (Yes, they can sent out acceptances later as applicants withdraw).

I think that's just the date by which all medical schools are required to have their classes filled. (Yes, they can sent out acceptances later as applicants withdraw).

Ahh I see. Makes sense.

I was complete in late september and I haven't heard from them yet. Anybody think I still have any chance of getting an interview?

I was complete in late september and I haven't heard from them yet. Anybody think I still have any chance of getting an interview?

Well if you haven't heard after 10 business days, then they say you are either in the must interview right away or interview if you have time. So if you haven't interviewed by now, then it is probably the interview if they have time. So there's a chance but smaller chance.

Just keep your head up high.

Hey All,

For those of you that have interviewed already, would you mind sharing information about your travel experience? I will be flying into Orlando and am trying to find the most financially appropriate way to travel to the university. (Taxi, shuttle,, rent a car, etc.) In addition, did anyone stay in the hotels that UCF recommended, or do you have other hotels to recommend?

Thanks!

I second this, I'm flying in tomorrow and it looks like UCF is pretty far away from the airport and the cab fair will be huge, whats the best way to get to campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
I second this, I'm flying in tomorrow and it looks like UCF is pretty far away from the airport and the cab fair will be huge, whats the best way to get to campus?

One applicant shocked me last week telling me that it was about a $50 ride from the airport to a hotel close to the UCF campus - roughly 20 minute ride. If that is true, a rental car might be the way to work this.

Hey All,

Thanks!

Which campus is your interview taking place? The main campus or Lake Nona?

I'm renting a car at Orlando airport. It's really cheap from priceline, something like $40 incliding all taxes and fees.

Which campus is your interview taking place? The main campus or Lake Nona?

I didn't know they have more than one campus... I'm not even sure which one I'm going to :)

Just looked it up...I'm going to main campus on Research Parkway.

Hey All,

Thanks!

I haven't interviewed yet, but I booked my flight, hotel and car already. I'm staying at Crestwood Suites at UCF...I think this place is recommended by the school, but I got it through priceline.

I didn't know they have more than one campus... I'm not even sure which one I'm going to :)

Just looked it up...I'm going to main campus on Research Parkway.

All interviews are at the main campus location on Research Parkway. The Lake Nona campus is being built and will not be open for interview groups for several months. We will pass by the construction site on interview day as we go on our clinical tour in the afternoon.

All interviews are at the main campus location on Research Parkway. The Lake Nona campus is being built and will not be open for interview groups for several months. We will pass by the construction site on interview day as we go on our clinical tour in the afternoon.

Thanks for the clarification :)

i am so anxious for this next call, hopefully it will give us all on the wait list a better idea of where we stand! but i am just not sure if i stand a chance since i have like no connections...

but i am just not sure if i stand a chance since i have like no connections...

What? We're supposed to have connections? ;)

Don't worry, I believe I can say with 100% certainty that there are no 'legacies' applying to UCF this cycle (i.e. generations of families that have all graduated from UCF COM). If anything, that should cheer you up.

:D

ha, yea, that is true! I just can't get REL's comment of "it's not always what you know, but who you know" out of my head! That's not an exact quote, but he said something of that nature on the bus to Florida Hospital

i am just not sure if i stand a chance since i have like no connections...

Never mind, i thought you are talking about getting an interview, not acceptance. but still i wouldn't blame everything on connections...you've got to have some faith in yourself :)

I agree with you. I got an interview without any connections, and I am by no means trying to make an excuse for myself. I am more than grateful to have a spot on the waitlist! :) I am only expressing a concern. I am not saying that it's a fact or anything, but someone told me a few weeks ago that it's just all very political (the admissions process) which discouraged me. I hope that this is not true, but with all of these community members investing so much into the school, I can see how its possible. But if you think that the notion is laughable, that's encouraging to me!

Never mind, i thought you are talking about getting an interview, not acceptance. but still i wouldn't blame everything on connections...you've got to have some faith in yourself :)

haha, true... i'll do my best to keep a positive attitude :D

ha, yea, that is true! I just can't get REL's comment of "it's not always what you know, but who you know" out of my head! That's not an exact quote, but he said something of that nature on the bus to Florida Hospital

Ahh, yes, the van to Celebration hospital --- and the discussions. I believe you have to be referring to our discussion regarding for medical residency opportunities where the "who knows who" for recommendations is a factor. That discussions was not in reference to interviews and the acceptance process to the UCF COM med school program. In fact there are no politics in that process whatsoever. Yes we have community interviewers who greatly support the school, but that is where their association stops. Our admissions committee is a separate group that is independant of all influences, even the dean has no input or control on committee decisions or who we interview. All interviews are based solely on the merits of each applicant. You received an interview, it was based on all that you have done, ditto for every applicant. Kinship, cronyism, etc. has no regard in our selection for interview, nor does it affect committee decisions for acceptance. Of these things I can assure you.

thanks REL! i must have missed the context of that comment, and i'm glad it was a misinterpretation on my behalf. I was hoping you would comment on this, and I'm really glad to hear that...straight from the source :)

Yeah, to be honest, of all the schools I've applied to, the school I'm least worried about being affected by "connections" is UCF.

I think that's one of the beauties of a new school. No school rivalries, no entrenched customs, no established 'legacies' etc., etc. It's all brand new. Pretty cool :D.

Whether or not I get accepted to UCF, I'm definitely going to be interested in watching it develop.

pianola, i decided you are right, and I shouldn't let others break my spirit!

I keep thinking about the possibility of being woken up at 3:00 in the morning by my avatar...and it's just so exciting! lol

Well if you haven't heard after 10 business days, then they say you are either in the must interview right away or interview if you have time. So if you haven't interviewed by now, then it is probably the interview if they have time. So there's a chance but smaller chance.

Just keep your head up high.

so i assume i'm in the "interview if they have time" pile. better then nothing definitely. anyone think a letter of intent would be worthwhile? i've heard people talk about them on other threads and i have good reason for wanting to be in orlando that i think i could cover more than i did in my essays. just wondering

im itching to call soon, I just need to know where im moving on that waitlist. Im thinking of sending a letter of intent also. I have alot of reasons for attending UCF that i couldnt cover on the secondary. Ill prolly wait on the letter of intent until things clear up.

so i assume i'm in the "interview if they have time" pile. better then nothing definitely. anyone think a letter of intent would be worthwhile? i've heard people talk about them on other threads and i have good reason for wanting to be in orlando that i think i could cover more than i did in my essays. just wondering

I think a lot of people have a good reason for wanting to go to UCF. Its probably not going to make a difference at least this year b/c whoever they accept will be getting scholarship. If it was when the class reached its maximum capacity down the road and they werent' give large sums of money to every single student in the class it would probably have made a difference. But that's just my opinion.

Do ask REL to confirm. I just get the feeling it won't mean much.

I think a lot of people have a good reason for wanting to go to UCF. Its probably not going to make a difference at least this year b/c whoever they accept will be getting scholarship. If it was when the class reached its maximum capacity down the road and they werent' give large sums of money to every single student in the class it would probably have made a difference. But that's just my opinion.

Do ask REL to confirm. I just get the feeling it won't mean much.

i figured something of the same. kinda sux for students who actually are excited to live in orlando for family and such.

Yeah, I have a friend who's super-excited about UCF for next year's admission (regardless of scholarship availability). She's the kind of person who's going to be competitive for any school in Florida, and she's got all the right qualities to be at a new school -- very good at working in groups, communicating with others, sharing the workload, etc. She's one of the few people that I can unquestionably say will be a good doctor. I've worked with her in classes and in a volunteer setting and I can say that she is one of the most caring, hard-working people I know and she is a great team-player.

I wonder if there's anything that she can do now to express her interest in UCF.

got the call today! good luck to those of you still waiting!

got the call today! good luck to those of you still waiting!

congrats :thumbup:, that is really awesome. lol u are the exact type of student i thought they would be accepting right away, 40 mcat, 3.9 gpa, crazy stuff. U have some very nice choices for where u can go. Any idea what is your top choice and where u are going to go?

when did u interview by the way?

oh my gosh, congratulations!! you must be sooo proud of yourself! :D

congrats :thumbup:, that is really awesome. lol u are the exact type of student i thought they would be accepting right away, 40 mcat, 3.9 gpa, crazy stuff. U have some very nice choices for where u can go. Any idea what is your top choice and where u are going to go?

when did u interview by the way?

Thanks! I really don't have any idea yet where I'm going to go. I'm trying not to think about it until I hear back from all the schools so I don't develop a premature favorite!

I interviewed on 11/14.

Thanks! I really don't have any idea yet where I'm going to go. I'm trying not to think about it until I hear back from all the schools so I don't develop a premature favorite!

I interviewed on 11/14.

UCF is an amazing school with a solid science department. Congratulations! I only wish UCF had a pharmacy school.

Last edited:
Hi Guys! I'm new to the thread. I was just accepted at UCF yesterday. I was so shocked to even get an interview invite and now, to be accepted is just unbelievable! I'm so happy :)

My stats were nowhere near slipstream's so now I am even more confused. I hope it wasn't some sort of glitch or something... geesh we'll see lol

don't doubt yourself! numbers aren't everything, and im sure the other parts of you are extraordinary!

is UCF your #1?

haha thanks :)

Yes, UCF was my number one choice! I still couldn't bring myself to withdraw my other applications! I canceled a BU interview (I couldn't really afford to go in the first place haha) but other than that I've been to scared to withdraw the rest of them. I guess it's hard to let go of the application process... it's like an old friend or something haha

Does anyone know when those on the wait list will get an update?

I heard from a fairly credible source today that UCF will have filled its first class by next week on the 17th. I'll try to keep you updated.

I heard from a fairly credible source today that UCF will have filled its first class by next week on the 17th. I'll try to keep you updated.

If your source is so credible, why haven't you stated it?

REL if you are around please do comment on this post.

I think you probably need to check your sources. I interviewed on the 5th of December and REL made it very clear to us that they were only accepting 4-6 applicants every few weeks so that those who interviewed later on in the process were actually interviewing for a spot in the class and not for the waitlist.

Oh and for those of you interested, he also said they were on about the 8th or 9th (I'm a little fuzzy on the exact number, but I know it was under 10) of what was to be 20 total interview days. So they're still not even half way through their interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.