2008-2009 University of Illinois (UIC) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bulk will hear around 6/1, so keep waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

protodoc, ya my site placement change petition was granted around may 15th...you can go back in the forums to see that i actually posted when my petition was granted.

im thankful to the committee for granting my petition because i really needed it.

protodoc, ya my site placement change petition was granted around may 15th...you can go back in the forums to see that i actually posted when my petition was granted.

im thankful to the committee for granting my petition because i really needed it.

ditto:bow:

But they told me May 7. I think they must have a committee that meets a couple times a month because i heard of some getting placement changes in march/april. most will probably hear VERY soon:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
And hopefully most with LEGIT reasons will get their requests granted. Best of luck to you all:luck:

Nope....still waiting. I called the admissions office last week and they told me that they've seen people get switched all the way up to the last few weeks before orientation. So, who knows...just keepin my fingers crossed for now lol:xf::xf::thumbup::thumbup::cool:

I'm probably going to start buying my textbooks online soon. Regarding Gray's Anatomy for Students 2005, Zip - do you think it'd be okay to buy a different year, especially if it's more recent, or do I need to stick with 2005? I've found deals online for Gray's/Netter's package printed in 2006.

For those of you on the waitlist...

I will be withdrawing here in the next day or two from the Urbana/Rockford track. Got in to my top choice off the waitlist. Good luck everyone, and I hope that my spot goes to a fellow SDNer!

For those of you on the waitlist...

I will be withdrawing here in the next day or two from the Urbana/Rockford track. Got in to my top choice off the waitlist. Good luck everyone, and I hope that my spot goes to a fellow SDNer!

Thanks! I am guessing waitlist starts moving after they are done with transfers.

anyone know the textbooks we will be needing for M1?

also, do students rely more on lecture notes or the textbook or both when studying for the exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist first I believe.

Are you sure? Waitlists in theory move till the first day of classes. I am guessing petitions should be granted earlier than that. Just seems counterintuitive to process waitlist first.

I'm probably going to start buying my textbooks online soon. Regarding Gray's Anatomy for Students 2005, Zip - do you think it'd be okay to buy a different year, especially if it's more recent, or do I need to stick with 2005? I've found deals online for Gray's/Netter's package printed in 2006.

Dr. Lieska will give specific page numbers from the Grey's text for reading, but if you can find the same stuff in the new edition, you'll be fine.

anyone know the textbooks we will be needing for M1?

Plenty of them will be "required". Wait until you've been in each class a few times before you decide what books you'll actually want to purchase.

also, do students rely more on lecture notes or the textbook or both when studying for the exams?

A number of students use class notes and Board Review Series (BRS), High-Yield, or Rapid Review only.

The housing application contract deadline is Friday. For those of you waiting on a petition, what are you doing? Anyone know what we actually ARE supposed to do?

I signed up for university housing at Urbana... going to be in the Goodwin/Green Apts... You can get out of the lease for $50 if you don't end up attending the campus

Had a few other cheaper/better options but had to let them go...

hey,

can someone tell me about parking at urbana? i'm looking for housing and i'm wondering if its a really big hassle to have to drive to and park on campus. I dont really mind driving, but how horrible is the parking? i logged into the med school website and it looks like one can reserve parking spots for the day or something. what does that mean? can i reserve a spot everyday in advance? or will i have to park in some far away commuter lot and take a shuttle? if so, how far is that lot from the medical science building?

thanks a lot!

Dr. Lieska will give specific page numbers from the Grey's text for reading, but if you can find the same stuff in the new edition, you'll be fine.
QUOTE]

Thanks zip!

Got a call at 4:36pm from Linda Singleton today! My site petition has been granted and I'll be in Chicago! And I was thinking I'd never get that call...

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I received a call just a few minutes ago from Linda Singleton (don't know her exact position) stating that my petition for a campus appeal had been granted! I am very happy and hope that you all of you who had appeals get changed too!

Good luck to everyone!

Ms. Singleton is the Associate Director of Admissions. Try and continue being patient. Phone calls take a long time to make.

I haven't received a phone call either :( I really really hope I do tomorrow and so do the others of you..

Hey people,

I'm trying to withdraw my spot so that it can go to one of you :) Which e-mail address do you send the withdrawal to? I know this was talked about, but I couldn't find it, and I don't have time to look through all 48 pages of this thread...

Hey people,

I'm trying to withdraw my spot so that it can go to one of you :) Which e-mail address do you send the withdrawal to? I know this was talked about, but I couldn't find it, and I don't have time to look through all 48 pages of this thread...

[email protected]

It's also on the COM website. (Just google "medicine uic" -> then click on "Contact Us") It would have taken you less than 1/100th the time it took you to login to SDN, browse to this thread, write that post, and wait for a reply.

Congrats on your acceptance to your top choice.

[email protected]

It's also on the COM website. (Just google "medicine uic" -> then click on "Contact Us") It would have taken you less than 1/100th the time it took you to login to SDN, browse to this thread, write that post, and wait for a reply.

Congrats on your acceptance to your top choice.

Haha, I appreciate your confidence in me... Maybe it wasn't obvious, but of course I knew that e-mail address. My question wasn't, "What is the general e-mail address for the admissions office?" I know what it is...

My question was, which address do we direct withdrawal's to. So, you could have simply said. "Withdrawals can go to the general admissions e-mail address."

So, if you know that withdrawals can go to that e-mail address thank you for answering my question. Did you withdraw, or hear that is where I can send it? I just don't want to direct it to the wrong place.

Thanks for the congrats, I'm very excited...

DrJD, where are you headed? (out of curiosity)

DrJD, where are you headed? (out of curiosity)

Heading to the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS)... Was just a better fit for my wife and I, and it is a lot cheaper. Win-win!

Heading to the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS)... Was just a better fit for my wife and I, and it is a lot cheaper. Win-win!

Congrats DrJD! Glad you got your top choice. You would have made an awesome classmate in Rockford. Good luck to you and your wife!

My question was, which address do we direct withdrawal's to. So, you could have simply said. "Withdrawals can go to the general admissions e-mail address."

So, if you know that withdrawals can go to that e-mail address thank you for answering my question. Did you withdraw, or hear that is where I can send it? I just don't want to direct it to the wrong place.

Yea, it's sent to the "general admissions email". There isn't a separate withdrawal department, with its own "[email protected]" or anything... lol.

I didn't withdraw--UIC is and always was my top choice--but I "heard" it from the admissions office itself (perhaps a legit source? :p).

Yea, it's sent to the "general admissions email". There isn't a separate withdrawal department, with its own "[email protected]" or anything... lol.

I didn't withdraw--UIC is and always was my top choice--but I "heard" it from the admissions office itself (perhaps a legit source? :p).

No that counts, and would explain why the first e-mail I sent to [email protected] got bounced back to me :)

Just so you know: Some schools have a specific member of the admissions office, such as the assistant dean of admissions, and that is where withdrawals go.... So it would be somebody's name [email protected]...

But it sounds like in this case, I can just send to the general e-mail. If you heard it from the office itself, that qualifies as legit :)

Edit to say: Thanks by the way, realized I forgot to say that...

So I got the call about my petition being granted late afternoon Wednesday, but my Enterprise still reads Urbana campus. Someone posted earlier that it takes about a day, but it's been two days. I'm just paranoid... sometimes I think maybe I dreamt it all up that my petition was granted so I'd like to see proof. Can anyone comment on how long it took for your campus to change in Enterprise?

Where are you guys assigned as of now? Peoria or Rockford?

Hi,

Does anyone (Zip?) know how the use of student loans for rent/living expenses work? I know what I have been awarded in loans (but I don't think we can officially "accept" our loans yet right?... the original email said sometime in June after the Board of Regents approves the cost of attendance...)

Anyway, I was just wondering if maybe the school sends us a lump sum check after taking out the tuition/fees and then we use that money. I don't actually know how it works so I was wondering and hoping somebody could inform me.

Thanks so much!

So I officially sent in my withdrawal today after receiving my official acceptance to the other school. Sorry I wasn't in the Chicago track to make more room for you guys there, but hey, should help you waitlisters! Good luck!!!!

Edit to say: Thanks by the way, realized I forgot to say that...

lol, you're welcome! Have fun in Arkansas. :)

Where are you guys assigned as of now? Peoria or Rockford?

Rockford. We are potential classmates. (As long as neither or both of us gets an appeal... preferably the latter.)

Does anyone (Zip?) know how the use of student loans for rent/living expenses work?

I have the exact same question. "It's my money, and I need it now!"

Anyway, I was just wondering if maybe the school sends us a lump sum check after taking out the tuition/fees and then we use that money. I don't actually know how it works so I was wondering and hoping
somebody could inform me.

Yep, that's pretty much it. You won't get your loans until sometime during the first week of classes, after orientation. Budget accordingly!

Hi Guys,
I know this may raise some eyebrows, but I did not get a 2-step TB test. I got the Quantiferon test (blood test), and apparently that was fine with the admissions office. I just turned in my immunization forms today. I know they clearly state "Only 2-step TB test is accepted", but I thought I would give it a try anyway. And it was fine.

Hopefully that will save somebody on this thread some time.

-Faizan

Status
Not open for further replies.