2008-2009 University of Rochester Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved this school. I interviewed 5 weeks ago and no news. I think the interview went really well, and other than my financial concerns that lead me to the state schools, this is my top choice. I know the adcom meets 2x/month. Has anyone gotten any news lately? I'm getting so worried!

Members don't see this ad.

I loved this school. I interviewed 5 weeks ago and no news. I think the interview went really well, and other than my financial concerns that lead me to the state schools, this is my top choice. I know the adcom meets 2x/month. Has anyone gotten any news lately? I'm getting so worried!

I interviewed the first week of February and I still haven't heard- I am getting very anxious too. U of R is my #1 choice!

I know waiting is hard, but I waited 8 weeks before my acceptance came because of the timing of the adcom meetings. So no worries! Congrats on the interviews, hope you two get in!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know waiting is hard, but I waited 8 weeks before my acceptance came because of the timing of the adcom meetings. So no worries! Congrats on the interviews, hope you two get in!

For people who have already heard back--

How did you hear of acceptances? Status page, phone call, e-mail, snail mail?

How did you hear of waitlists? Status page, e-mail, snail mail?

For people who have already heard back--

How did you hear of acceptances? Status page, phone call, e-mail, snail mail?

How did you hear of waitlists? Status page, e-mail, snail mail?

I got a phone call of acceptance, then an email. My status page changed afterward.

I'm in!

I got a phone call from a 585 area code last night and flipped out! I was still at work so I couldn't answer... but I checked my status online and I'm in! Then, today I received the emails. I interviewed just under 5 weeks ago and I am sooooo happy! The only other school I would consider is SUNY Downstate or SB for tuition reasons... but U of R was by far my favorite! Maybe financial aid will pleasantly surprise me! I am so happy!

I'll be at second look weekend! Can't wait to meet everyone. Good luck to my fellow 2/13 interviewees!

Congratulations! Its a great feeling, isn't it? Lol If you want some more info go to the U of R allopathic class thread! Also, we have a facebook group up, so join if you want!

Can someone remind me why Rochester is a really good school? I'm trying to decide between this and a few other schools.

Even better, tell me why it's bad so that I can free a spot up for someone else.

Thanks

I'm guessing this topic has already been touched upon; but, does anyone know what sort of movement the waitlistees should expect? And, when does the waitlist start moving?

Can someone remind me why Rochester is a really good school? I'm trying to decide between this and a few other schools.

Even better, tell me why it's bad so that I can free a spot up for someone else.

Thanks

Another student and myself have brought up many reasons throughout this thread. It might be easier just to scroll through it.

I'm guessing this topic has already been touched upon; but, does anyone know what sort of movement the waitlistees should expect? And, when does the waitlist start moving?

I'm not sure how much movement there will be, I'm guessing it's still hard to say. Most movement will begin May 16th. :luck::luck::luck::luck:

I cant wait for the great weather this Friday/Saturday!

I loved Rochester, but I just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Any idea when the waitlist will start moving? Tomorrow perhaps?

any merit scholarships been handed out yet?

Just got the call today from Dean Hansen!!! Best of luck to everyone still waiting, and for those of you accepted, see you in August! :love:

So for those of you who heard good news while waiting on the alternate list, did you get regular communication from the office about how the list is progressing? Ever since I declared that I wish to be on the waitlist back in January, I have heard nothing from admissions.

I emailed Pat (director of admissions) two days ago to inquire the current WL status, and I just got her reply:

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your continued interest in Rochester. Our class has held well and we have had little movement, thus very few offers off of the wait list. Unfortunately, I cannot be optimistic that you will receive an offer of admission for the entering 2009 class. I know this is a significant disappointment for you. We have received your updates and they have been placed in your folder. We currently have 300 applicants on the wait list and many qualified applicants will not be offered admission. I hope that you have success in your applications at other medical schools in your pursuit of a MD degree.

Sincerely,

Pat Samuelson
Director of Admissions

AFAIK, there has been only 3 SDNers pulled off the WL since 5/15. It is hard to believe they still have 300 people on WL right now. :(:eek: For the record, I have sent two LOIntent/updates (3 new journal articles in peer-review, reputed journals) in the last two months, but it did not seem to have any effect.:( It seems nothing we can do now. Sad, just sad....

I received a similar response when I called to confirm that they had received an update from me. The woman sounded so sorry for me, which somehow made it even worse. But the consensus seems to be that there will be very little movement.

Does anyone know whether Rochester really takes updates into consideration much? Not that it seems like it matters either way now, but I don't want to waste the time if its not going to make any difference at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.