2009-2010 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jolt, quick question. did you by any chance win a noble prize or something?

and i mean that in a very complimentary way. nice cycle.
:laugh:
no nobel prize...just hard-working

but thanks, He2

Members don't see this ad.

mmmcdowe, awhile back someone posted regarding the role of residency on admission despite this being a private school-i don't think it was in the columbia thread specifically, but i think a combined columbia/penn thread under "what are my chances?" Any way you could comment on that? Are there in fact more accepted students from home state NY in your experience?

Yes. Your chances are significantly better In-State (twice as likely to be admitted if you get an interview). This usually pans out at almost every medical school.

Total admissions data
7014 applied, 1101 interviewed, 291 were accepted, 153 enrolled

In-state admissions data
114 interviewed, 62 were accepted, 42 enrolled (54% of interviewees accepted)

Out-of-state admissions data
987 interviewed, 229 were accepted, 111 enrolled (23% of interviewees accepted)

I think I made the post in that other thread. Same thing goes for UPenn, which even specifically states it on their website:

In evaluating the qualifications of applicants, the Committee on Admissions does not seek a uniform pattern of background or ability. Careers in medicine are open to students with diverse experience, interests, and personalities. The committee attempts to select candidates on the basis of their potential for service and leadership in whatever field they may choose to enter. Consideration is given to many factors, including cultural, athletic, service-oriented, and other extracurricular activities. Other factors being equal, preference is given to residents of Pennsylvania.

I.E. In-State is your X-factor to get you in over equally ranked/qualified applicants.

Last edited:
mmmcdowe, awhile back someone posted regarding the role of residency on admission despite this being a private school-i don't think it was in the columbia thread specifically, but i think a combined columbia/penn thread under "what are my chances?" Any way you could comment on that? Are there in fact more accepted students from home state NY in your experience?

I can definitely say that there are a lot of folk in my class from the NY area relative to, say, a non-California west coast state. Whether this is because of them being accepted due to in state preference, I am not so sure. Part of their overabundance is no doubt because of geographic considerations on their part (wanting to stay close to family, etc) and thus are overabundant in their applications or in their estimation of Columbia among other choices (meaning they might be more willing to write letters of intent than other applicants, helping them get off waitlist or get accepted directly). I think that, rather than getting a "in state" advantage, a lot of native new yorkers have worked with Columbia or in programs/with people that are familiar and respected by the admissions committee here. If I get a chance I will ask the admissions office about it to see if their policy is the same as Penn's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd just like to shoot out another plea for interview feedback. The admissions office (not committee, you aren't going to be hunted down for having feedback) is very much looking to incorporate the opinions of this years interviewees in their plans to renovate the interview day (something that might even start in part this cycle). If you are truly scared about being hurt by your feedback, change the date of your interview (though they would prefer you not if it is something specific like bad food, rude person etc so they can hunt THEM down :) ) or pm me and I will forward your comments anonymously.

Oh, by the way I asked about the last date of interviewing. It hasn't been set, though they are hoping to finish mid-February (last year they apparently went past mid-February and, while they are backed up, they still anticipate not having to go that far over).

I use a lot of parentheses....

I'd just like to shoot out another plea for interview feedback. The admissions office (not committee, you aren't going to be hunted down for having feedback) is very much looking to incorporate the opinions of this years interviewees in their plans to renovate the interview day (something that might even start in part this cycle). If you are truly scared about being hurt by your feedback, change the date of your interview (though they would prefer you not if it is something specific like bad food, rude person etc so they can hunt THEM down :) ) or pm me and I will forward your comments anonymously.

Oh, by the way I asked about the last date of interviewing. It hasn't been set, though they are hoping to finish mid-February (last year they apparently went past mid-February and, while they are backed up, they still anticipate not having to go that far over).

I use a lot of parentheses....

mmmcdowe, is the admissions office going to review the SDN interview feedback section to obtain information or is there another way we should pass it along? i interviewed back in october and i don't recall there being any official post-interview evaluation that they asked us to do...was there something that i missed?

mmmcdowe, is the admissions office going to review the SDN interview feedback section to obtain information or is there another way we should pass it along? i interviewed back in october and i don't recall there being any official post-interview evaluation that they asked us to do...was there something that i missed?

I was referring to the SDN feedback option. I think its a good idea for them to consider an evaluation form/website too. I'll mention it.

Yes. Your chances are significantly better In-State (twice as likely to be admitted if you get an interview). This usually pans out at almost every medical school.

Total admissions data
7014 applied, 1101 interviewed, 291 were accepted, 153 enrolled

In-state admissions data
114 interviewed, 62 were accepted, 42 enrolled (54% of interviewees accepted)

Out-of-state admissions data
987 interviewed, 229 were accepted, 111 enrolled (23% of interviewees accepted)

I think I made the post in that other thread. Same thing goes for UPenn, which even specifically states it on their website:

I.E. In-State is your X-factor to get you in over equally ranked/qualified applicants.

this is quite interesting. Thanks for the info:thumbup:

Does anyone know the preferred process for sending updates? On their website it has their mailing address posted, but they also have their email right under it. Since Columbia does everything by paper, should I send a letter instead of an email? Sorry if this was answered already.

Does anyone know the preferred process for sending updates? On their website it has their mailing address posted, but they also have their email right under it. Since Columbia does everything by paper, should I send a letter instead of an email? Sorry if this was answered already.

Save them the paper and sent it snail. Email is fine too, but I always liked having my handwriting on the material.

I talked to the admissions office, they do not offer any form of preference to the in state crowd based on their residency.

Other good news for you Canadian applicants, you are considered with no negative hit to your application.

Complete as of 12/11!..finally after months of being in limbo

Hey everyone,

I just received a thank you letter from Dr. Frantz regarding the thank you letter I sent to my interviewer. In this letter, Dr. Frantz says "I can sure you that we will keep you very strongly in mind." My question is, should I read too much into this? Or is this a standard letter that is sent to everyone who sends out thank you letters? I tried searching the forums but got bogged down... I do remember reading that he (Dr. Frantz) is always optimistic when speaking with applicants...

Tjquinn

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I just received a thank you letter from Dr. Frantz regarding the thank you letter I sent to my interviewer. In this letter, Dr. Frantz says "I can assure you that we will keep you very strongly in mind." My question is, should I read too much into this? Or is this a standard letter that is sent to everyone who sends out thank you letters? I tried searching the forums but got bogged down... I do remember reading that he (Dr. Frantz) is always optimistic when speaking with applicants...

Tjquinn

That's a Dean Frantz classic phrase. While the letters do have a few variations here and there, they don't guarantee a given outcome. Most people but not everyone seems to get a letter response from thank yous, but people who don't get the letter also get accepted so it might just be an occasional lost letter or something.

they have received all my materials for just over a month. should i be worried?

That's a Dean Frantz classic phrase. While the letters do have a few variations here and there, they don't guarantee a given outcome. Most people but not everyone seems to get a letter response from thank yous, but people who don't get the letter also get accepted so it might just be an occasional lost letter or something.

I figured as much. Regardless, I was still surprised to have someone send me a personal letter. Makes me like Columbia that much more!

tjquinn

What is it about Columbia P&S that makes them so prolific (and successful, look where they match!) in producing NS residents? Columbia typically matches to all the top programs in every field, but looking back over past match lists, Columbia consistently puts out more neurosurgeons than anybody else, bar none. One year Columbia matched 12, yes 12, neurosurgery residents. I am just curious how they inspire and successfully place so many medical students in NS... it does not seem to be coincidence. Great training programs? Hospital? Advising? Research? What makes them special? I realize this post likely won't interest a lot of people looking at this thread, but any Columbia students with an ear to the ground have any clues on this?

My application was submitted in mid-October and I still haven't heard anything (good or bad). I just sent a letter of interest with updates, but should I be worried? :confused:

What is it about Columbia P&S that makes them so prolific (and successful, look where they match!) in producing NS residents? Columbia typically matches to all the top programs in every field, but looking back over past match lists, Columbia consistently puts out more neurosurgeons than anybody else, bar none. One year Columbia matched 12, yes 12, neurosurgery residents. I am just curious how they inspire and successfully place so many medical students in NS... it does not seem to be coincidence. Great training programs? Hospital? Advising? Research? What makes them special? I realize this post likely won't interest a lot of people looking at this thread, but any Columbia students with an ear to the ground have any clues on this?

Remember, much of what specialty people go into is self selective. I'm sure many folks could get into neurosurgery if they so desired, but go into other fields. As well as doing what you like, interests you, etc etc, what specialty you go into is in part dependent on the experiences that you have with members of that specialty. You might be interested in a specialty, but if you are constantly having negative experiences while rounding or have clashes with the attendings/residents, it is very likely that these things are going to have an affect on your desire and enthusiasm for that specialty. The reverse is also true. Without a doubt, Columbia has a very influential neurosurgery department. It is one of the best, and many of the attendings/residents provide some of the best experiences to medical students. Dr. Quest, for example, is quite a well known guy, but also is one of the advisory deans, a prolific adcom member, and plays trombone in a number of P&S events. He is quite possibly the most beloved advisory dean at the school, if my experiences with people in his group are a good representation. In addition, the neurosurgery department has sent in more residents/attendings/fellows than any other department for anatomy labs. They are great teachers and very enthusiastic. Good experiences with mentors is a powerful way to kindle an interest. You then combine this with the fact it is a huge department (NYP has 32 attendings!!!!) and a very approachable group of neurosurgery researchers looking for medical students wanting semester and summer research. There is also the fact that there are some students (a minority, but some), who were attracted to Columbia because of the strength of their neurology/neurosurgery/psych departments. All of these factors come together to (in my opinion) explain why Columbia has such a powerful presence in this field.

Remember, much of what specialty people go into is self selective. I'm sure many folks could get into neurosurgery if they so desired, but go into other fields. As well as doing what you like, interests you, etc etc, what specialty you go into is in part dependent on the experiences that you have with members of that specialty. You might be interested in a specialty, but if you are constantly having negative experiences while rounding or have clashes with the attendings/residents, it is very likely that these things are going to have an affect on your desire and enthusiasm for that specialty. The reverse is also true. Without a doubt, Columbia has a very influential neurosurgery department. It is one of the best, and many of the attendings/residents provide some of the best experiences to medical students. Dr. Quest, for example, is quite a well known guy, but also is one of the advisory deans, a prolific adcom member, and plays trombone in a number of P&S events. He is quite possibly the most beloved advisory dean at the school, if my experiences with people in his group are a good representation. In addition, the neurosurgery department has sent in more residents/attendings/fellows than any other department for anatomy labs. They are great teachers and very enthusiastic. Good experiences with mentors is a powerful way to kindle an interest. You then combine this with the fact it is a huge department (NYP has 32 attendings!!!!) and a very approachable group of neurosurgery researchers looking for medical students wanting semester and summer research. There is also the fact that there are some students (a minority, but some), who were attracted to Columbia because of the strength of their neurology/neurosurgery/psych departments. All of these factors come together to (in my opinion) explain why Columbia has such a powerful presence in this field.

:thumbup:

Thank you for the insightful response, as usual.

What I really loved about Columbia was that the students I talked to during my visit reported having similar experiences with attendings, residents and fellows across the board in all specialties. It actually really felt like a bizarre medical cult (in a good way) in that the faculty here derive deep satisfaction from teaching medical students (especially COLUMBIA med students) and getting them excited about their specialties. Not to mention that for a neuroscience guy like me the above sounds like Shangri-la.

Also, mmmcdowe I'm pretty sure I met you when I visited... thanks for the conversation.

I kinda got that sense from this thread.

Have you guys started performing into the woods yet?

I kinda got that sense from this thread.

Have you guys started performing into the woods yet?

We finished right before Thanksgiving. I just have to say that I would never have dared perform 30 hours of theater during a week of 4 exams except in an environment that removed as much anxiety from education as possible!

On that note, I just have to also say guys that unranked p/f is unbelievably awesome. I feel for people at schools with grades and rank, because it has got to be hard to stop studying out of fear of not getting every single point possible on every exam (and quite honestly, all that excess studying probably won't even make a diff in the end). The reason is because they go through all that extra work to accomplish something (assuming they manage to honor most classes) that is less and less important to residency directors. Where as at a school with less anxiety about test taking, you can work hard with the confidence to go and do other things both for your resume and yourself. I have time to do research, collaborate with physicians, shadow, act, tutor, dance, etc etc. I can definitely the see the argument for having the chance to distinguish yourself with grades during your pre-clinicals, but wouldn't you rather distinguish yourselves with things that are more valuable (in my mind)? Especially the research, if you are set on a competitive specialty having the confidence to take time for research during pre-clinicals is such a blessing.

Hey all,

Does anyone on this thread know what days P&S typically conducts interviews? I'm going to be interviewing at Weill in mid-January (probably 1/12, 1/13, or 1/14) and I was wondering a) if it would be a good idea to send an "in the area" letter of interest to Columbia and b) if they did have me for an interview, what are their mid-January dates? Ideally, I can coordinate an NYC area trip to consolidate interviews (currently on the West Coast and have a strong interest in reducing the number of redeyes I fly). I also have completed apps in at NYU and Yale, if anyone knows anything about those schools' interview dates.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

P.S. My Columbia app was complete 12/11, if that is helpful info.

hi guys! does anyone know if columbia sends out pre-interview rejections??

hi guys! does anyone know if columbia sends out pre-interview rejections??

They most certainly do, as does every US medical school. That isn't to say that have sent them out *yet* though.

They most certainly do, as does every US medical school. That isn't to say that have sent them out *yet* though.

well i meant rejections way before the march decision deadline. some schools like harvard and yale won't let you know of the pre-interview rejection until march when they send out all other final decisions :(

well i meant rejections way before the march decision deadline. some schools like harvard and yale won't let you know of the pre-interview rejection until march when they send out all other final decisions :(

If you haven't interviewed by late January, I think it's safe to assume rejection... dangit, I should've sent an in-the-area email when I went to NYC for my other interviews... I was just too scared that it would reflect badly haha has anyone actually had any luck with in-the-area emails?

Hey all,

Does anyone on this thread know what days P&S typically conducts interviews? I'm going to be interviewing at Weill in mid-January (probably 1/12, 1/13, or 1/14) and I was wondering a) if it would be a good idea to send an "in the area" letter of interest to Columbia and b) if they did have me for an interview, what are their mid-January dates? Ideally, I can coordinate an NYC area trip to consolidate interviews (currently on the West Coast and have a strong interest in reducing the number of redeyes I fly). I also have completed apps in at NYU and Yale, if anyone knows anything about those schools' interview dates.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

P.S. My Columbia app was complete 12/11, if that is helpful info.

Every day monday through friday except for holidays and such.

Every day monday through friday except for holidays and such.
Starting jan they will be only interviewing on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Does anyone have any idea on when the admission committee meet to review those who have interviewed.

If you haven't interviewed by late January, I think it's safe to assume rejection... dangit, I should've sent an in-the-area email when I went to NYC for my other interviews... I was just too scared that it would reflect badly haha has anyone actually had any luck with in-the-area emails?

Nope, I got an invite the other day and they told me they were scheduling for Jan and Feb. Seems there's still a bit of time.

lol... i just got my "complete" email today....:confused:

I think Columbia just might be the best medical school in the world.

Submitted 10/18.
Complete 12/10.
Interview offer- 12/17 (MSTP!!!!!!)
I'm so excited!! :)

Is it worth sending an update letter at this point if you've been complete for months? Are there still interview invites still out there?

Is it worth sending an update letter at this point if you've been complete for months? Are there still interview invites still out there?

I think this is something you can only ask yourself. Is a stamp, piece of paper, and some ink worth, to you, even the slightest chance of getting an interview? There are still interviews to be had, and your file is still open.

I sent an update letter/letter of interest a week ago, and then I get an email saying that my application is complete. I never got an email like that before...how does an update letter complete my application? :confused:

I sent an update letter/letter of interest a week ago, and then I get an email saying that my application is complete. I never got an email like that before...how does an update letter complete my application? :confused:

ok i LOLed at this. but anyway, I've been complete since early sept i think. I was debating about sending an in-the-area email when i was in NYC for other interviews in nov, but I was told that those emails are not such a good idea for columbia. but anyway- mmmcdowe seems to be encouraging update/interest letters. Is that appropriate to send pre-interview? I'm always a bit ancy about these letters, because it seems like such a "pre-medish" thing to do and I figured it might just annoy schools. but if columbia is very receptive to them, I'm totally game. what should be included?

ok i LOLed at this. but anyway, I've been complete since early sept i think. I was debating about sending an in-the-area email when i was in NYC for other interviews in nov, but I was told that those emails are not such a good idea for columbia. but anyway- mmmcdowe seems to be encouraging update/interest letters. Is that appropriate to send pre-interview? I'm always a bit ancy about these letters, because it seems like such a "pre-medish" thing to do and I figured it might just annoy schools. but if columbia is very receptive to them, I'm totally game. what should be included?

I know nothing about the official say effect of in the area emails. I wouldn't be surprised if they were ineffective, if only because Columbia tends to be a bit backlogged in terms of applications. Columbia encourages updates. It sounds vague, but they are happy to accept anything you want to inform the admissions committee about. I personally sent a December update letter about grades, variations in my activities (didn't end up doing on thing that I had written I was continuing, started doing something else), status updates on my activities (progress of my research, club initiatives, etc), and also any awards that I had won (I sent a second letter about this because I hadn't won it in December yet, but you get my picture).

If I had had any new ones, I would have also sent letters of rec.

I know nothing about the official say effect of in the area emails. I wouldn't be surprised if they were ineffective, if only because Columbia tends to be a bit backlogged in terms of applications. Columbia encourages updates. It sounds vague, but they are happy to accept anything you want to inform the admissions committee about. I personally sent a December update letter about grades, variations in my activities (didn't end up doing on thing that I had written I was continuing, started doing something else), status updates on my activities (progress of my research, club initiatives, etc), and also any awards that I had won (I sent a second letter about this because I hadn't won it in December yet, but you get my picture).

If I had had any new ones, I would have also sent letters of rec.

Yeah, it clearly worked for you. I was seeing people showing extreme interest in Columbia, getting a second interview (but I think you can only request a second interview if Dean Frantz wasn't already one of your interviewiers), and subsequently becoming accepted. Columbia does seem to take it seriously if they are considering accepting you from the wait list (this applies later, not quite sure on the validity now) and you demonstrate an extreme interest in the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.