2009-2010 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So has anyone heard of any movement?

To any of my fellow pre-meds currently deposited at FIU, please think of your fellow applicants and withdraw if you have no intention of attending FIU-COM. I'd love you forever for it :)

Hey man, I just withdrew so I hope it helps one of you guys. I really did not want to withdraw this one since I loved everything about the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey man, I just withdrew so I hope it helps one of you guys. I really did not want to withdraw this one since I loved everything about the school.

Maybe that spot helps me out! Good luck up in Gainesville dude.

I think I got your spot because I got the call today that I have been accepted! :) Thanks for withdrawing instead of holding out. Good luck to all of you who are still hoping! I am not sure yet where I will go, right now I am accepted at FIU and Commonwealth, both the new schools, so I have to weigh the pros and cons of each. So I may be opening up another spot before May 7th, because that is my deadline to accept the offer.

I think I got your spot because I got the call today that I have been accepted! :) Thanks for withdrawing instead of holding out. Good luck to all of you who are still hoping! I am not sure yet where I will go, right now I am accepted at FIU and Commonwealth, both the new schools, so I have to weigh the pros and cons of each. So I may be opening up another spot before May 7th, because that is my deadline to accept the offer.

Haha - awesome dude, Congrats. I'm already a bit biased in favor of FIU, but good luck choosing!

Congrats man!

LOL. yeah every time I get an email to that account, or a phone call from a number I don't know, my heart races a little. This is torture! :p

So what's up with the CBC and the drug test? Anyone have this done?

Just wanted to give you all an update that I'm pretty sure I am going to withdraw. Someone from financial aid is calling me tomorrow so I can see if that will influence my decision at all, but if not I will likely be opening a spot up tomorrow. So for all those "Accepted/Alternate" people still hoping, look for the call from the (305) area code! Good luck to you all! I hope the person who wants it the most gets it!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to give you all an update that I'm pretty sure I am going to withdraw. Someone from financial aid is calling me tomorrow so I can see if that will influence my decision at all, but if not I will likely be opening a spot up tomorrow. So for all those "Accepted/Alternate" people still hoping, look for the call from the (305) area code! Good luck to you all! I hope the person who wants it the most gets it!:luck:

Congratulations on making a decision. I'm sure you are beyond happy to have this process over and done with.

Thanks for the Congratulations, but what makes you assume I am a "dude" or a "man"?

Sorry, bad habit.

What's up with the lack of movement in these Florida schools?

I just officially declined my acceptance offer. Sorry it took so long and sorry to keep you hopes up for so long. But someone will be getting an acceptance offer now, probably tomorrow, so good luck to all of you on the "Accepted/Alternate" list!:luck:

I just officially declined my acceptance offer. Sorry it took so long and sorry to keep you hopes up for so long. But someone will be getting an acceptance offer now, probably tomorrow, so good luck to all of you on the "Accepted/Alternate" list!:luck:

Hope it's me! :xf: Good luck at Commonwealth!

Got a voicemail today from FIU COM regarding having a "chat" about potentially being offered a spot in the class. She mentioned that she knew I was already accepted at USF...I'd like to know how she knew that?? I thought that info wasn't given to med schools until May 15? Unless she stalks SDN...which is quite possible.

Got a voicemail today from FIU COM regarding having a "chat" about potentially being offered a spot in the class. She mentioned that she knew I was already accepted at USF...I'd like to know how she knew that?? I thought that info wasn't given to med schools until May 15? Unless she stalks SDN...which is quite possible.

Whoa, freaky.

When she called me she said "We know you have many acceptance offers already" but I only had one. I don't know where she was getting her info, I think she was just assuming. I don't know how she would know yours?!?

When she called me she said "We know you have many acceptance offers already" but I only had one. I don't know where she was getting her info, I think she was just assuming. I don't know how she would know yours?!?

Yeah, I was a little taken aback when I heard her say USF. I guess I'll just call her back on Monday and see what she has to say. Maybe she'll have a scholarship offer I can't refuse! Ha...yeah right.

On March 1st the adcom (or director) at any school you are still pending at can see where else you have been accepted. I actually heard this a few times throughout my interview process.

On March 1st the adcom (or director) at any school you are still pending at can see where else you have been accepted. I actually heard this a few times throughout my interview process.

I never heard of that before...hmmm...

I never heard of that before...hmmm...

Yea, Mrs. Monfort told us this at the FIU second look day. She said after a certain date adcoms can see where their prospective applicants have been accepted and that all of FIU's 43 deposited students are holding multiple acceptances.

"Beginning in April of each year, a medical school can view the school or schools that have accepted an applicant, even if that applicant has not yet been accepted by the medical school."

-AMCAS instruction booklet, page 11.

Wohoo! First acceptance! Beyond elated right now! I am going to be a doctor =D

Just got the call from Betty at 2:08pm!!! Complete at the end of November. Interviewed 1/22 and waitlisted 2/3. Invited to Welcome back day!

AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:love::highfive::clap::biglove:

Just got the call from Betty at 2:08pm!!! Complete at the end of November. Interviewed 1/22 and waitlisted 2/3. Invited to Welcome back day!

Congratulations!! I just got my first acceptance from here as well!!! Interviewed 10/23, accepted/alt in December, and got a call today from Betty!!!!! :love::D

Congrats to the both of you! Did you guys send in any updates or letters of interest/intent?

Congratulations!! I just got my first acceptance from here as well!!! Interviewed 10/23, accepted/alt in December, and got a call today from Betty!!!!! :love::D

Congratulations to both of you! Hopefully I'm next!

Congrats guys! Couldn't be more happy for you. Have fun at the welcome back day, they are awesome.

Congrats to the both of you! Did you guys send in any updates or letters of interest/intent?

Thanks! I did send updates of my final semester grades and honor's thesis. Also, try calling and speaking directly with Betty, she is a sweetheart and will put down that you called and let the admissions committee know of your interest!
Goodluck :xf:

I interviewed in August, was small pooled in January, waitlisted a couple months later, and now thankfully have an acceptance :D

I was wondering if any of the first year students could comment on the research opportunities that are available to them.

I made a thread here asking for help in making a decision:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=726715

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I interviewed in August, was small pooled in January, waitlisted a couple months later, and now thankfully have an acceptance :D

I was wondering if any of the first year students could comment on the research opportunities that are available to them.

I made a thread here asking for help in making a decision:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=726715

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

So you were once in the "Final Pool"?

It was similar for me. Interview in Sept. Final pooled in Jan-Feb. Was called the other day saying they had an open seat if I was still interested...I ended up withdrawing but good luck to everyone else waiting.

Got the call, she knew about my other acceptances though. I had been final pooled, then Alt/accepted.
Good luck to those waiting!

Congrats! Are you planning on matriculating or did you turn down the offer? Actually, who here is dead set on attending FIU-COM next year?

Congrats! Are you planning on matriculating or did you turn down the offer? Actually, who here is dead set on attending FIU-COM next year?
Thanks! She actually just asked me if I'd be interested since a spot would be opening up soon, so I don't think I formally accepted anything nor did I turn it down. I told her my intentions and that I will give due consideration to FIU (I hadn't expected to hear from them so it was a nice surprise). I am hoping for a couple offers after the 15th though and I really like a school I've already been accepted to, so I don't expect to ultimately matriculate at FIU. I did like it but you can only choose one school.

Just got a call from Ms. Monfort today! I got accepted! FIU here I come!:D

Another seat just opened up, I passed up the offer (I was on the Alt List) so goodluck to those waiting.

I gave up my acceptance today. Probably the toughest decision I've ever made, but good luck to those of you still waiting to hear back!

Im applying for the 2010-2011 cycle. Would any matriculants/ applicants mind posting their MCAT and gpas??

Im applying for the 2010-2011 cycle. Would any matriculants/ applicants mind posting their MCAT and gpas??

What value would others GPAs do you? You must be a going into your senior year of undergrad and therefore you don't have much of a chance to boost your GPA. As long as your GPA is above a 3.85, your MCAT is >32, you have good volunteering, research, etc, you should be fine. :):):):):):):)

What value would others GPAs do you? You must be a going into your senior year of undergrad and therefore you don't have much of a chance to boost your GPA. As long as your GPA is above a 3.85, your MCAT is >32, you have good volunteering, research, etc, you should be fine. :):):):):):):)

I am well aware of the overall statistics, but I was HOPING to get some advice and numbers from ACTUAL matriculants for the schools I am most interested in.

Thanx for commenting on every post of mine anyways.....

Status
Not open for further replies.