2009-2010 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Always good information to have. How did you find out they don't read the PS until after the LORs are received? That doesn't surprise me too much, but I am glad I made it that far even without my PS. I think my PS will provide me a pretty good boost.

I was told by the Assistant Dean that they review the PS along with the supporting letters once they get them.

10% chance of getting in is still better than 2%. Once you get an interview invite, you'll have 25% chance of getting into the school. It does feel a little like trying to cut a piece of string ever smaller though, doesn't it?

G'luck guys.
 
aaaaaaaaaahh just got my first mayo email! i get to pay them money and send them LORs? But it's the MSTP program, so i guess it's different with them.

i'm still breathing fast. 🙂

Congrats! So for MSTP it is fee and LOR at the same time? Dang. Do they even have your MCAT score yet?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
get gmail...there's no need to refresh! but then that might take out the excitement of anticipation

No need for refresh? Does it just update it automatically when you get an email? I just want my email to text me when I get a new message.
 
No need for refresh? Does it just update it automatically when you get an email? I just want my email to text me when I get a new message.

Haha get a new phone then! like a blackberry or iphone, it makes a sound with each new email message.
 
Mayo could accept all the regular posters on this thread and still have some room for other people. I think they should do it. Screw AMCAS, the new application service should be SDN.

True that! I am 100% confident that everyone in this thread is capable of being great doctors.
 
I was told by the Assistant Dean that they review the PS along with the supporting letters once they get them.

10% chance of getting in is still better than 2%. Once you get an interview invite, you'll have 25% chance of getting into the school. It does feel a little like trying to cut a piece of string ever smaller though, doesn't it?

G'luck guys.

I feel like the further you go along in the process with Mayo the more control the applicant has over their fate. Like for the LOR request it is just if Mayo likes your ECs, but once they have them it is your persuasive PS and the LORs from people you chose that affect you. Then at the interview it is up to your performance.
 
Haha get a new phone then! like a blackberry or iphone, it makes a sound with each new email message.

I have crappy cell service. In fact the company got bought out recently, so I may change services soon. My wife is still on her parents AT&T family plan, so I may join on that to save money. Maybe then I can have this fancy internet business on my cell.
 
I was told by the Assistant Dean that they review the PS along with the supporting letters once they get them.

10% chance of getting in is still better than 2%. Once you get an interview invite, you'll have 25% chance of getting into the school. It does feel a little like trying to cut a piece of string ever smaller though, doesn't it?

G'luck guys.

Did you do a visit to Mayo recently? Is that where you are getting all this top-notch information?
 
No Mayo posts in almost 7 hours?! Guys... come on. Can't just pat ourselves on the back and then let it go. We all know this is prime time for Mayo to take our suggestion and admit us all in the next couple of hours...
 
No Mayo posts in almost 7 hours?! Guys... come on. Can't just pat ourselves on the back and then let it go. We all know this is prime time for Mayo to take our suggestion and admit us all in the next couple of hours...

I was just thinking something similar not long ago. We are actually getting close to the time that Mayo likes to send out its mass emails, so maybe some of those will fuel this thread.
 
These Mayo emails come too darn late, even for me out west. I am tired, and I think I will just ask my wife to check my email for me when she gets home work later. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't getting up at 5:45 to go do cardio...
 
For those of you counting at home... 1:30AM CST +/-5 mins is when Mayo has been sending out their mass emails. Should I stay up the extra 40 minutes? hmm....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol. well at this point its a matter of minutes anyway. i get a morning off work tomorrow and i spend the night before on SDN...what is my life coming too?:scared:


hahaha, it shows you care 🙂
i don't think we'll hear anything til the end of the week, but I've been wrong before, lol
 
paid fee on 6/28. still nothing. no lor request and no rejection. what's going on?
 
even though i knew an email wasn't coming tonight, it's still such a let down.... time to cry myself to sleep... again 🙁 lol
 
wow at least I am not alone in my craziness, staying up all night just to see if mayo sends an email
 
hahaha, it shows you care 🙂
i don't think we'll hear anything til the end of the week, but I've been wrong before, lol

I agree, we probably won't hear anything until at earliest the end of this week with regard to interviews. Hopefully some of the people waiting on the LOR request will know their fate before then though.

wow at least I am not alone in my craziness, staying up all night just to see if mayo sends an email

SDN is similar to the psychiatric ward, except all of the crazy people on SDN choose to be here.
 
Yup. Interviews begin in mid-September and should be over by December.

Awesome, I did a visit to Mayo too back in May. They were saying the same thing about the interview dates then as well. I couldn't seem to get a straight answer about interview invites though. I think Marcy said mid to late July, but some one else said end of Augustish. Any update on the potential time for invites?
 
lrkoehle , try and calm down a bit. i promise that whatever med school you end up going to, you'll be happy. in the end, these schools aren't all that different from one another. you still get an md, and you still have to take all the USMLE exams.
 
lrkoehle , try and calm down a bit. i promise that whatever med school you end up going to, you'll be happy. in the end, these schools aren't all that different from one another. you still get an md, and you still have to take all the USMLE exams.
ahha irk just LOVEEEESS😍😍 mayo more then most🙂. I tried not to get too caught up in any school so that i dont end up hugely dissapointed in the end 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the problem is, you never really know what a med school is like until you attend it. going on tours/reading websites doesnt give even 5% of the story. to me, the biggest aspect is locataion, because you can accurately gauge that
 
the problem is, you never really know what a med school is like until you attend it. going on tours/reading websites doesnt give even 5% of the story. to me, the biggest aspect is locataion, because you can accurately gauge that
i agree but :shrug:. Personally i dont feel you can ever know what a med school is like until you are already attending and can truly experience it, then you will know if you love it or hate it, but by then its too late. In the end everyone is happy whether they end up at podunk md school, or harvard. I rarely meet someone who says fml i hate my school. Peopel are just happy to be in and rave about their own school regardless.
 
the problem is, you never really know what a med school is like until you attend it. going on tours/reading websites doesnt give even 5% of the story. to me, the biggest aspect is locataion, because you can accurately gauge that

👍👍👍 Agreed. Location is my biggest factor in a lot of my other schools, because I'd rather not go super far away. Rochester, however, is my prime location, and that just makes me want to go there even more. I'm from there, went to the cities, realized how much I hate big cities and how much I love Rochester, and besides, I'll want to go around there when med school is over anyways to start a family. So Mayo, please send me an LOR request! :xf:Haha.
 
lrkoehle , try and calm down a bit. i promise that whatever med school you end up going to, you'll be happy. in the end, these schools aren't all that different from one another. you still get an md, and you still have to take all the USMLE exams.

I think I am fairly calm...I know most schools are similar for the most part, and that is why it is the little things that make a big difference. For instance Mayo has the selectives, which are awesome.

ahha irk just LOVEEEESS😍😍 mayo more then most🙂. I tried not to get too caught up in any school so that i dont end up hugely dissapointed in the end 🙂

It is my top choice, but I made sure that I applied to only schools that I felt I would be happy to attend. I hope that will save me from any potential major let down. And yes, I do love Mayo.

the problem is, you never really know what a med school is like until you attend it. going on tours/reading websites doesnt give even 5% of the story. to me, the biggest aspect is locataion, because you can accurately gauge that

I agree that you never know what anything is like until you are actually in it. For instance O chem, I always heard how hard it was, but when I took it, I loved it. Same is true of medical schools. I will have to disagree with the part about not being able to judge based on touring the medical school. What I did on my visit to Mayo was basically what the interview day will be like, except no interview at the end. We got a bunch of information about the school, had lunch with current students, toured the facilities, etc. That is the same thing I will be basing part of my post-interview decisions on (at the schools where I am fortunate enough to get interviews, of course).

I also agree with location being one of the major deciding factors in choosing a medical school. Now, I will admit that I am not from Rochester, so I don't 100% know that I will love living there. I do know that I am from a really hot, dry huge city, and I am ready for a change. After visiting, I feel fairly confident that Rochester is the kind of city my wife and I would love. We want a smaller, quieter city away from the hustle and bustle of the Phoenix metropolitan area.

👍👍👍 Agreed. Location is my biggest factor in a lot of my other schools, because I'd rather not go super far away. Rochester, however, is my prime location, and that just makes me want to go there even more. I'm from there, went to the cities, realized how much I hate big cities and how much I love Rochester, and besides, I'll want to go around there when med school is over anyways to start a family. So Mayo, please send me an LOR request! :xf:Haha.

With Mayo, location is a huge factor for me too, but it also beats out other schools just by a lot of the opportunities it gives its students.
 
Mayo or not, I hope everyone here ends up at a school they like with a program that likes them too.

This cycle seems exceptionally competitive, and there really are no sure things anymore. 🙁

I do hope we can all manage to stay sane for essentially a full year as the waiting season for us has just gotten started... we better start looking for ways to decompress. 🙂

Anywho, good luck everybody.
 
Mayo or not, I hope everyone here ends up at a school they like with a program that likes them too.

This cycle seems exceptionally competitive, and there really are no sure things anymore. 🙁

I do hope we can all manage to stay sane for essentially a full year as the waiting season for us has just gotten started... we better start looking for ways to decompress. 🙂

Anywho, good luck everybody.

If Mayo (or any of my other schools) wants to be really nice to me and accept me October 15th, this will be much easier. God, I hope I don't have to wait the entire year. :scared:
 
If Mayo (or any of my other schools) wants to be really nice to me and accept me October 15th, this will be much easier. God, I hope I don't have to wait the entire year. :scared:

Me too. I hope I get a Mayo acceptance right off the bat and can just cancel all my other interviews.
 
Me too. I hope I get a Mayo acceptance right off the bat and can just cancel all my other interviews.

I was imagining what I would do if I was lucky enough to find myself in this position. I think I would still interview at one of my top 3-5 schools, but not some of the other schools. I guess it would depend how expensive travel would be too.
 
This cycle seems exceptionally competitive, and there really are no sure things anymore. 🙁
I don't know... a lot of my friends aren't applying this year strangely because of the economy. Not enough funds, decreased parental support (decimated investments, long path), working long hrs (can't study for MCAT), worried about future of health care, etc.

I guess we shall see, but most schools are preparing for a larger applicant pool it seems with all the accelerated reviews.
 
I don't know... a lot of my friends aren't applying this year strangely because of the economy. Not enough funds, decreased parental support (decimated investments, long path), working long hrs (can't study for MCAT), worried about future of health care, etc.

I guess we shall see, but most schools are preparing for a larger applicant pool it seems with all the accelerated reviews.

NVM. Cool down time for me...
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
go to sleep guys seriously. you don't watch plants grow do you? this is the kind of stuff that makes ppl think premeds are crazy.

on top of that, i know some ppl that got emails (LOR requests) from mayo during the day. so this whole "night" email theory doesnt seem correct.
 
go to sleep guys seiously. you don't watch plants grow do you? this is the kind of stuff that makes ppl think premeds are crazy.

Eh, I'm not staying up for Mayo. I just had a fair amount of work to do with summer classes, lab, and a few secondaries I wanted to crank out.
 
LOL watch plants grow...I am up for other reasons but I agree with you :luck:


i'm also up for other reasons.... *cough, cough* lol
i mean come on now, what type of loser would wait all night for an email that probably won't be coming for weeks. so many losers out there... it's a real shame
 
Status
Not open for further replies.