2009-2010 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
here's me being neurotic but does it mean anything if they said when rather than if?
.....back to writing secondaries
i don't know the answer, but yea, leave it to neurotic pre-meds to read literally every word over. :laugh:
 
Has anyone received a "rejection" email yet?

Don't want to jinx the thread, but I am starting to wonder about good old Mayo...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, get out while you still can. Most of us are addicted, but if you can avoid this place it will probably save you a lot of stress.

They told me the same information about interviews.

Yea, of course now I'm gonna be stuck checking this thing all the time so I know where I'm at. Still no LOR request, I'm really hoping I get one soon...I'm scared my MCAT score will hold me back from it, even though I know they aren't really into numbers. But still. :xf: We will see I guess. I think my letter-writers were pretty good though, so it'd be nice to get those in there!
 
Good point. I'm going to tour mayo next Monday so hopefully its not in vain.

I did a Mayo tour. It was awesome. Regardless of what happens this application cycle, it is totally worth the visit, especially if you are only a short drive away. I flew in for it.
 
Yea, of course now I'm gonna be stuck checking this thing all the time so I know where I'm at. Still no LOR request, I'm really hoping I get one soon...I'm scared my MCAT score will hold me back from it, even though I know they aren't really into numbers. But still. :xf: We will see I guess. I think my letter-writers were pretty good though, so it'd be nice to get those in there!

You are right that they aren't a huge numbers school. When I visited, they made it seem like numbers were what got you past the first cut (GPA*10+MCAT>60), but after that they didn't mean a whole lot. Now I imagine they do carry some weight after the first cut, but probably not as much as some stellar ECs will.

I was excited to get the LOR request, because like you, I think I had some pretty darn good letters. One I know was absolutely outstanding, so I know that should help me.
 
You are right that they aren't a huge numbers school. When I visited, they made it seem like numbers were what got you past the first cut (GPA*10+MCAT>60), but after that they didn't mean a whole lot.

First cut being the fee request or the LOR request? GPA*10+MCAT>60 isn't a very high bar.
 
First cut being the fee request or the LOR request? GPA*10+MCAT>60 isn't a very high bar.

The fee request. No, it isn't very high, but I guess that is why they say Mayo is not really a "numbers school." Also, it helps to generate more funds for the school this way, which is good for the students there.
 
The fee request. No, it isn't very high, but I guess that is why they say Mayo is not really a "numbers school." Also, it helps to generate more funds for the school this way, which is good for the students there.
Nice. Does that mean they actually reviewed the whole application before sending out the LOR request? That's real efficiency. Hope we get interviews.
 
Nice. Does that mean they actually reviewed the whole application before sending out the LOR request? That's real efficiency. Hope we get interviews.

This is just a guess, but I imagine they do a quick review of all the applicants who pay the fee, to see if anything interesting jumps out at them. I think a full review of the applications comes after the LOR request. This is my guess based on the information I have gathered from Mayo.

Yes, they are being super efficient this year. I can't believe how fast they are going.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Those of you that got a LOR request - did you get an email from Mayo confirming they received your letters? My app has been verified and all my letters have been received by AMCAS so theres nothing for me to do, right? Mayo just needs to download my letters
 
Those of you that got a LOR request - did you get an email from Mayo confirming they received your letters? My app has been verified and all my letters have been received by AMCAS so theres nothing for me to do, right? Mayo just needs to download my letters

I asked this same question last night, and I did not get a response. I have not received a confirmation email regarding my LORs, which were requested of me last week. Has any one else heard anything about LORs being received by Mayo?
 
I asked this same question last night, and I did not get a response. I have not received a confirmation email regarding my LORs, which were requested of me last week. Has any one else heard anything about LORs being received by Mayo?

why don't you just call Mayo?
 
I asked this same question last night, and I did not get a response. I have not received a confirmation email regarding my LORs, which were requested of me last week. Has any one else heard anything about LORs being received by Mayo?


My LORs were also requested last week (I was very happy when I received the news, lol), and I haven't heard anything back from Mayo since. I am just hoping to find an interview invite in my inbox sometime soon!! 🙂
 
did anyone who was verified after 6/28 receive a LOR request?
 
why don't you just call Mayo?

Last time I contacted Mayo I was told to not be so anxious, so I don't want to bother them. I might call Marcy tomorrow.

My LORs were also requested last week (I was very happy when I received the news, lol), and I haven't heard anything back from Mayo since. I am just hoping to find an interview invite in my inbox sometime soon!! 🙂

I would love to see an interview invite in my email sometime soon too. 😍Mayo😍
 
did anyone who was verified after 6/28 receive a LOR request?

Dude, you really need to chill with the huge bold red font. I was verified on 6/26 and received a LOR request. I think they are sending these out in bunches (waiting for some # of apps to accumulate then sending them out week-by-week, month-by-month, something I dont know). Give it a couple days or if you really want to know how you app is progressing call admissions
 
Dude, you really need to chill with the huge bold red font. I was verified on 6/26 and received a LOR request. I think they are sending these out in bunches (waiting for some # of apps to accumulate then sending them out week-by-week, month-by-month, something I dont know). Give it a couple days or if you really want to know how you app is progressing call admissions

I know I have no patience
 
Last time I contacted Mayo I was told to not be so anxious, so I don't want to bother them. I might call Marcy tomorrow.
so, you can either

a. call amcas
or
b. actually not be so anxious. we are all so early that waiting a week or two before doing anything else will not do anything. sit back, relax, and enjoy.
 
so, you can either

a. call amcas
or
b. actually not be so anxious. we are all so early that waiting a week or two before doing anything else will not do anything. sit back, relax, and enjoy.

I was in the first batch of LOR requests, so I have already waited just over a week, and I know there is no issue with AMCAS because a few other schools have my letters. Thus, I am pretty much positive Mayo has/can get my letters, but unlike other schools Mayo does not have a status page. That means the only way I can know if they have actually received my letters is through a confirmation email.

Also, my first email to Mayo wasn't me being overly anxious, I just thought the bank had made an error in processing my fee payment.

Anyways, I will sit back, not relax (three secondaries to get done), and enjoy this hopefully only once in a life time process.
 
I was in the first batch of LOR requests, so I have already waited just over a week, and I know there is no issue with AMCAS because a few other schools have my letters. Thus, I am pretty much positive Mayo has/can get my letters, but unlike other schools Mayo does not have a status page. That means the only way I can know if they have actually received my letters is through a confirmation email.

Also, my first email to Mayo wasn't me being overly anxious, I just thought the bank had made an error in processing my fee payment.

Anyways, I will sit back, not relax (three secondaries to get done), and enjoy this hopefully only once in a life time process.

When you say enjoy, I can actually see how this whole process, although unnecessarily stressful, is very exciting and definitely a great memory for later 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you say enjoy, I can actually see how this whole process, although unnecessarily stressful, is very exciting and definitely a great memory for later 😀
Oh man, you guys are weird. Shelling out 100 bucks for each school isn't my idea of exciting.
 
Oh man, you guys are weird. Shelling out 100 bucks for each school isn't my idea of exciting.

Not writing any more essays is my idea of exciting, and as has already been said, Mayo is totally worth it!
 
Just paid my $100. Verified on 7/1...got RFF from Mayo on 7/2. Didn't have funds till today.

For those of you neurotic folks who look for hidden messages...my payment confirmation number ended in 7***.

So who had confirmation # 7001? 😀
 
Mine too! Prolly at the exact same time, lol

Nah, they got mine first, they told me. :meanie:

The email:

"Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,

Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file. Your application is in review and you will be notified as soon as the review is completed.

Sincerely,

Marcy Landswerk
Admissions
Mayo Medical School"

I think it is an incredibly exciting email, because it means my application is proceeding there.
 
Nah, they got mine first, they told me. :meanie:

The email:

"Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,

Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file. Your application is in review and you will be notified as soon as the review is completed.

Sincerely,

Marcy Landswerk
Admissions
Mayo Medical School"

I think it is an incredibly exciting email, because it means my application is proceeding there.


Super annoying, my letters were posted to amcas ages ago, why didn't I also get this letter from mayo. They asked for my letters the first day.
 
Super annoying, my letters were posted to amcas ages ago, why didn't I also get this letter from mayo. They asked for my letters the first day.

Since they sent this email out during the middle of the day, I am guessing they are doing this on a more individual basis. Most of the other emails are sent out in big batches at 3 a.m. eastern. Just be patient (I know that is easier said than done), if they asked for your letters you will get one of these emails.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have any of you played Mafia, the card game, before? Part of the story is always like, "And then dawn broke... and Andrew was found axed." Every time I think about their overnight emails, it feels like the same thing.. just praying every single night not to be killed in my sleep from Mayo! 🙂
 
Have any of you played Mafia, the card game, before? Part of the story is always like, "And then dawn broke... and Andrew was found axed." Every time I think about their overnight emails, it feels like the same thing.. just praying every single night not to be killed in my sleep from Mayo! 🙂

Hahaha, this is so funny. I know exactly which game you are talking about.
 
have any of you played mafia, the card game, before? Part of the story is always like, "and then dawn broke... And andrew was found axed." every time i think about their overnight emails, it feels like the same thing.. Just praying every single night not to be killed in my sleep from mayo! 🙂

lol
 
Woah, how come when you quote my posts, it randomly changes things from capitalized to not capitalized?

it's funny because the 'j' on 'just' went from not capitalized to capitalized, while the 'P' on 'Part' stayed capitalized. yeah ok I'm a nerd, but I'm OCD about inconsistencies (sign of a true pre-med).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.