2009-2010 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You had four left to do? I haven't even received four secondaries. So far, it is Mayo (not really a secondary), WashU (no essays), and Pitt (short essays), so I haven't really had anything to do. I was hoping that after the 24th I would be staying busy with secondaries.

After looking at your MDapps, you are applying to 7 of the 11 schools I am applying to! Looks like we are interested in similar schools/locations.
I'm a Midwesterner at heart and like the East schools that are closer to the midwest except for a couple I particularly like (e.g. Dartmouth).

This weekend was UPitt, UChicago, Johns Hopkins, and Rosalind Franklin. Don't worry about the secondaries, they'll come. I'm glad to find that they trickle in instead of coming in bulk. Helps space them out a LOT.

Best of luck to you with all your schools and hope we both get sweet invites to Mayo!

Members don't see this ad.

How depressing.... Still no LOR request for me. :mad: Good luck to everyone else!

How depressing.... Still no LOR request for me. :mad: Good luck to everyone else!

Just stay positve. It was the 4th of July weekend, so they weren't likely to have sent anything out since Thursday (I'm guessing they took Friday off like everyone else). As I have said before, no news does not equal bad news, although I do understand you being stressed about it right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if they requested our LORs what are the chances of us getting an interview? Getting the LOR request was exciting but I don't want to get my hopes up just to be rejected....

So if they requested our LORs what are the chances of us getting an interview? Getting the LOR request was exciting but I don't want to get my hopes up just to be rejected....
~600-800 applicants are asked to submit their letters of recommendation
~250-350 are offered interviews

Data is from PremedIowa

for anyone who got a LOR request, when did you pay the secondary fee?

Day after they sent out the request for $. Like two Fridays ago, I believe.

And hurray, anywhere from 30-60% chance of an interview now! ...once I get those letters in, sigh.

I paid my fee the first day they asked for it, 6/26/09. I received the LOR request on the second of July.

And hurray, anywhere from 30-60% chance of an interview now! ...once I get those letters in, sigh.

did you get a "fee received" email before or after your LOR request email?

Let's dream big, if 60-80 people get accepted to Mayo, we have like a 10% shot now!!!

For JasonE, I got my fee received email before the LOR request. Just keep an eye out around 3 a.m. EST for an email, that is when they come.

Let's dream big, if 60-80 people get accepted to Mayo, we have like a 10% shot now!!!

For JasonE, I got my fee received email before the LOR request. Just keep an eye out around 3 a.m. EST for an email, that is when they come.

thanks...i sent my payment on 6/30, so i guess maybe its a bit too soon for a LOR email?

thanks...i sent my payment on 6/30, so i guess maybe its a bit too soon for a LOR email?

I would think so. Keep in mind that you pay US bank, who then transfers the money to Mayo. That could take up to 48 hours, so now we are looking at like 7/2 for when Mayo probably got your money. The third of July was basically a holiday for most people, so they probably didn't look at anything from you then. That brings us to today for when Mayo might start looking at your app. Realistically, I would guess maybe Friday or next week would be the earliest to hope for a LOR reaquest.

I would think so. Keep in mind that you pay US bank, who then transfers the money to Mayo. That could take up to 48 hours, so now we are looking at like 7/2 for when Mayo probably got your money. The third of July was basically a holiday for most people, so they probably didn't look at anything from you then. That brings us to today for when Mayo might start looking at your app. Realistically, I would guess maybe Friday or next week would be the earliest to hope for a LOR reaquest.

took 4 business days to get your LOR request. using that same time table, mine could come tomorrow at the earliest im guessing.

im a tad concerned of course. i was expecting a LOR request (i have really high numbers)

Members don't see this ad :)
took 4 business days to get your LOR request. using that same time table, mine could come tomorrow at the earliest im guessing.

im a tad concerned of course. i was expecting a LOR request (i have really high numbers)

I guess it did. I didn't really look at the number of business days it took. Keep in mind, if you get it tomorrow, it won't be until late at night. Don't stress throughout the day.

Don't be too concerned at this point. I think high numbers will always help you, but Mayo is definitely not a numbers school. I would be careful about expecting anything from Mayo based on numbers alone. They seem to prefer outstanding ECs more.

Hey,

I was told to send my LOR a little while back and I was wondering whether I actually had to submit something, or if Mayo will just request AMCAS to send them my LOR which AMCAS has already recieved.

does anyone know if Mayo gives alot of preference to legacy applicants?

I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure Mayo isn't the kind of school to give much importance to that sort of thing. With such small class sizes, they probably want to get only the best. If you happen to be a "legacy" fine, but it won't help, IMO.

My AMCAS application was verified on June 23rd, but I haven't gotten a fee request from Mayo. Should I call the office to see what's up, or do you think I'm probably in the next batch of e-mails?

My AMCAS application was verified on June 23rd, but I haven't gotten a fee request from Mayo. Should I call the office to see what's up, or do you think I'm probably in the next batch of e-mails?

I would guess they do it in batches. Just keep checking on here, because when they send out more fee requests it will be on here almost immediately.

I was verified on the 23rd and I got it when everyone else got it...

I only applied on the 6th, so of course I haven't heard anything yet (not to mention no mcat scores yet). Good luck everyone!

I was verified on 6-23 too and have also not heard from Mayo yet. I figure no news is better than rejection news at this point :) They did have their first round of interviews today, though....yikes!

They did have their first round of interviews today, though....yikes!

:rolleyes: Interviews are not held until at least the end of August. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Hmm someone in the med school right now told me they had interviews today. Maybe they were mistaken...but my reaction was "whoa, this early?" too; maybe it goes along with their accelerated admissions plan this year.

Last edited:
Hmm someone in the med school right now told me they had interviews today. Maybe they were mistaken...

It must have been for something else.

Interviews? Yea, they aren't supposed to start until August...is what they told me a month ago at least.
I still haven't had an LOR request though, and I hadn't looked on here in awhile, and now that I did, I'm definitely starting to worry...:confused: Maybe I should stay off SDN until I hear back from Mayo again, lol

Interviews? Yea, they aren't supposed to start until August...is what they told me a month ago at least.
I still haven't had an LOR request though, and I hadn't looked on here in awhile, and now that I did, I'm definitely starting to worry...:confused: Maybe I should stay off SDN until I hear back from Mayo again, lol

Yeah, get out while you still can. Most of us are addicted, but if you can avoid this place it will probably save you a lot of stress.

They told me the same information about interviews.

Hi everyone,
I'm also applying to Mayo this app cycle, and SOO excited! I really love Mayo, hope they show me some love in return :) I submitted a while ago but haven't been verified yet so I'm jealous at how far along the rest of you are. Best of luck my fellow SDNers :luck:

Hi everyone,
I'm also applying to Mayo this app cycle, and SOO excited! I really love Mayo, hope they show me some love in return :) I submitted a while ago but haven't been verified yet so I'm jealous at how far along the rest of you are. Best of luck my fellow SDNers :luck:

Good luck tall and short!!! Welcome to SDN

Just got my LOR request from Mayo. So excited:love:!!

Has anyone else heard anything re LORs or interviews?

OH MY Holy Mother of Earth Jesus Christ Almighty
I got LOR request too!

Guess I just do nothing and let them download it from AMCAS?

omg I really wanna get interview here :(

Congrats on the LOR request! No interview invite in my inbox...

I got a LOR request! Impoverished on 7/1

anyone get a LOR request who was verified on or after 6/28 ?

Has anybody who received the first LOR request been sent a confirmation email that Mayo has actually downloaded our LORs?

edit: never mind, i found my answer.

Last edited:
LOR request. WOOHOO.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was sent a letter asking when I planned to complete the biochemistry requirement. Then I got the request for letters...very, very exciting. I just wish they had some sort of essay so we could distinguish ourselves better.

Yesterday I was sent a letter asking when I planned to complete the biochemistry requirement. Then I got the request for letters...very, very exciting. I just wish they had some sort of essay so we could distinguish ourselves better.

Snail mail? Or Email?

still no LOR request....sigh

quick question when I paid my fee i got this email:

Greetings from Mayo Medical School!

Thank you for the fee payment. Please note, Mayo Medical School does not have a secondary application. When letters of recommendation are needed for your file, you will be notified via email.

here's me being neurotic but does it mean anything if they said when rather than if?
.....back to writing secondaries

Ya i live in the twin cities suburbs which is about an hour away from Rochester. I definitely will let you guys know when I come back

Status
Not open for further replies.