2009-2010 Michigan State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who are having trouble logging in and want to get started on the essays they are:

1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? (1/1900 characters)

2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? Do not reiterate any experience already discussed in detail within your AMCAS application (including your personal statement or your experiences) or above in Question One. (1/1900 characters)

3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? (1/1900 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

i was gonna pay right after i read the title and then i went on and saw the 2 week thing! i dont think im paying until next week, i have crap load of secondaries on my hand!! anyone knows how involved is their secondary/essay/etc?!

Edit: never mind, i just saw the above post! thanks =)

Members don't see this ad :)
The Secondary Application includes three required essays. Each essay will accommodate a maximum of 1900 characters (including spaces). You will not be able to mark your essays complete if any of them exceed 1900 characters.

1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? (1/1900 characters)

2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? Do not reiterate any experience already discussed in detail within your AMCAS application (including your personal statement or your experiences) or above in Question One. (1/1900 characters)

3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? (1/1900 characters)

ok I'm able to log in now. It takes a while from when you create a login until you actually log in.

3 essays with 1900 characters each. *sigh*

The Secondary Application includes three required essays. Each essay will accommodate a maximum of 1900 characters (including spaces). You will not be able to mark your essays complete if any of them exceed 1900 characters.

dang it! you beat me to it!!!:mad: :)

Does anyone know if you get in-state tuition at MSU if you're in the national guard in that state? 60k out of state tuition is a bit ridiculous!

Does anyone know if you get in-state tuition at MSU if you're in the national guard in that state? 60k out of state tuition is a bit ridiculous!

Actually, I just found out it's about $65,000.:laugh:

I finished the main three, then I realized I need to complete three more essays for their vulnerable/under-served program...

damn it

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished the main three, then I realized I need to complete three more essays for their vulnerable/under-served program...

damn it

Are you already fluent in Spanish? Do you know if they're going to offer instruction in Spanish for the people in this program? Or are you just gonna get yourself Rosetta Stone?

Are you already fluent in Spanish? Do you know if they're going to offer instruction in Spanish for the people in this program? Or are you just gonna get yourself Rosetta Stone?

You can audit at any of the undergrad spanish classes for free.

damn it

hey can you post the additional essays?! thanks =)

Dang it...these essays are going to suck...is it sort of expected to apply to at least one of the two option programs? is everyone doing that?

for the third essay i have no idea what to write...about what i want to make sure the committee knows about me...i feel like there is no way to not be redundant...unless i use this section as an update like what i have been doing this summer...any suggestions?

for the third essay i have no idea what to write...about what i want to make sure the committee knows about me...i feel like there is no way to not be redundant...unless i use this section as an update like what i have been doing this summer...any suggestions?

It's basically why do you want to come to MSU I think.

Wow, I didn't realize their OOS tuition is $65,000. I'm definitely not continuing with their application. I'd much rather go somewhere else.

Wow, I didn't realize their OOS tuition is $65,000. I'm definitely not continuing with their application. I'd much rather go somewhere else.

I've never understood why they do this...it's almost 3x IS tuition. Wayne State does something similar.

I've never understood why they do this...it's almost 3x IS tuition. Wayne State does something similar.

Maybe to discourage OOS people from applying?

Maybe to discourage OOS people from applying?

Maybe, but then couldn't they just not accept any OOS people? I've noticed that several schools won't accept any OOS who don't have significant ties to the state.

I don't know then. Maybe they are into money more than other schools.

I switched UIC for Michigan state because the tuition was too high for UIC :eek:

but the diff is really just 5-10K !! at least u can get Michigan residency after first year, or so im told..

I switched UIC for Michigan state because the tuition was too high for UIC :eek:

but the diff is really just 5-10K !! at least u can get Michigan residency after first year, or so im told..

You can't. When you're in school at MSU, you can't qualify for IS tuition. It's on their website.

You can't. When you're in school at MSU, you can't qualify for IS tuition. It's on their website.

wow that sucks! i wouldn't mind skipping their secondary, but the lower range of their VR is low so i thought it might increase my chances!!

is UIC the same, you gotta pay oos tuition for the entire 4 yrs?!

wow that sucks! i wouldn't mind skipping their secondary, but the lower range of VR is low so i thought it might increase my chances!!

I don't know. You could check out their website under school financial aid section.:shrug:

wow that sucks! i wouldn't mind skipping their secondary, but the lower range of their VR is low so i thought it might increase my chances!!

Yeah, the only way to get IS tuition is to move to MI and work for a year before matriculating...I think.

Yeah, the only way to get IS tuition is to move to MI and work for a year before matriculating...I think.

what if you buy a house in MI? (houses are cheap there...the MI economy is in the toilet). they could hardly deny you resident status when you are a property-owning taxpayer (though maybe they do?)! if I am fortunate to get into a school in MI I may do this. I did my undergraduate degree at MSU and LOVED it! it would be great to go back for an MD. :luck: to everyone applying!

what if you buy a house in MI? (houses are cheap there...the MI economy is in the toilet). they could hardly deny you resident status when you are a property-owning taxpayer (though maybe they do?)! if I am fortunate to get into a school in MI I may do this. I did my undergraduate degree at MSU and LOVED it! it would be great to go back for an MD. :luck: to everyone applying!

Oh you don't have to tell me how bad the economy here is...I've been laid off since December. :( Anyway, I don't think it's going to matter if you buy a house or not, I believe you're going to have to be a resident here for at least a year while you're not a student.

Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved/Vulnerable (LMUV) program

1. Why are you interested in the Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved and Vulnerable Program? Be specific. (1/1900 characters)

2. How have your experiences prepared you for the challenges of a medical practice in an underserved area? (1/1900 characters)

3. A requirement of this program is that the student will have achieved low intermediate Spanish proficiency by the time they reach their third year of medical school. Explain your current Spanish proficiency and/or plan for meeting this requirement (1/1900 characters)

I will watch every episode of ER in Spanish subtitles...

Rural Physician Program:

1. Why are you interested in the Rural Physician Program? Be specific. (1/1900 characters)

2. How have your past experiences prepared you for the challenges of a medical practice in a rural area? (1/1900 characters)

i've got 2 weeks to decide about this tuition thing. Even univ of michigan is cheaper for OOS. I mean I don't have $65,000 to pay for it but then again I don't have $30,000 for instate either. Either way I'm going to be living on loans for the next 4 years...

i've got 2 weeks to decide about this tuition thing. Even univ of michigan is cheaper for OOS. I mean I don't have $65,000 to pay for it but then again I don't have $30,000 for instate either. Either way I'm going to be living on loans for the next 4 years...

8 years atleast. we are not going to pay off loans while in residency.

Same post at Wayne State.
MSU Vs. Wayne State
Pros/cons

8 years atleast. we are not going to pay off loans while in residency.

true, but during residency I'll be making some money and I won't be taking out loans to pay for groceries, etc

Just a heads-up to those of you getting ready to submit...

I followed MSU's suggestion to copy and paste Word text into Notepad and then copy and paste into their supplemental's textboxes, but apostrophes and dashes are not showing up.

Probably not necessary for me to say, but take the time to double check...

The errors did show up in print preview...

Good luck!

Can someone explain what the deal is with these side programs like the "Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved/Vulnerable" thing?

I have studied Spanish for 5 years and worked in low income clinics in undergrad so I wouldn't mind applying to this... but what does this program actually mean?

-Are you any more/less likly to get accepted if you apply to this?
-Does applying for this bind you to some contract to work in a inner city facility?
-Do you take the same classes as the regular med students?
-If you apply to this side program and they deny you admission to it, do you then get considered for the regular MD admission, or are they like totally separate?

Can someone explain what the deal is with these side programs like the "Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved/Vulnerable" thing?

I have studied Spanish for 5 years and worked in low income clinics in undergrad so I wouldn't mind applying to this... but what does this program actually mean?

-Does applying for this bind you to some contract to work in a inner city facility?
-If you apply to this side program and they deny you admission to it, do you then get considered for the regular MD admission, or are they like totally separate?

their website has more information. it will explain it better than any of us can.

The main requirement is that you'll do your clinical years at the Saginaw location (more of an urban area) and you will do a rotation in the carribean.

The application is very clear that applying to either program will NOT help in anyway...other than getting into that program

"The LMUV and RPP essays are not intended to provide additional information to the CHM Committee on Admissions when reviewing your application for acceptance into our medical school. Instead, the essays provide specific information to the LMUV or RPP selection committees when making their acceptance decisions from those applicants who applied to their respective program and are already admitted to CHM.

Applying to the LMUV program or the RPP does not give an applicant any advantage in the application process. If you are not interested in the LMUV program or the RPP, do not apply to either of them in anticipation of preferential treatment of your application. At the same time, applying to one of these programs and not being accepted into it does not affect your acceptance into CHM."

Status
Not open for further replies.