2009-2010 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heads Up: ABUs will shrink significantly when washed & dried at medium heat. FML. :thumbdown:

That's what the lady at AAFES told me :) I was going to air dry...also she told me if you take out the elastic during alterations it gives a lot more room and makes them more comfortable.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know what the cell phone policy is at COT? basically all i want to know is do we have them in our rooms or are they confiscated and given after a certain point? (what it boils down to is do i need to buy an actual alarm clock or will i still have my phone?)

does anyone know what the cell phone policy is at COT?

I'm pretty sure they're allowed, just not in uniform...? I'm packing an HCT EVO 4G (with wifi hotspot function), a laptop, printer and scanner. Overkill, I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure they're allowed, just not in uniform...? I'm packing an HCT EVO 4G (with wifi hotspot function), a laptop, printer and scanner. Overkill, I know.

Wow, you're going to have quite an office in your room! I'm pretty excited for COT in a few days :thumbup:

did anybody else not hear from their sponsor yet? I have no clue who mine is and have a few questions before I head off to COT....

did anybody else not hear from their sponsor yet? I have no clue who mine is and have a few questions before I head off to COT....

Haven't even been assigned a sponser, but I was accepted late....

I'm trying to decide whether to take my printer/scanner. I am flying, so the thought of packing a 12-lb printer is not appealing.

Does anyone know whether the printers at COT are truly unusable, or is it just easier to have your own printer?

EDIT: It sounds like one should only bring a printer if you are driving or have a tiny, portable printer (which mine is not). Hope this helps other people deciding as well!

EDIT: It sounds like one should only bring a printer if you are driving or have a tiny, portable printer (which mine is not). Hope this helps other people deciding as well!

Im driving (leaving in 2 hrs!!) but im not taking one. People I know who did RCOT said it wasnt that necessary. See yall on monday

if we are flying, do we get reimbursed for the baggage fee since we have to check baggage?

Show your orders at the ticket counter. The fee should be waived. If not save the receipt and claim it on your travel claim when you get back.

Members don't see this ad :)
when I just checked in my flight online, and it asks for baggage, up to 2 are free.

Hey so whats the word with people meeting up at MGM to grab a shuttle?? Need at least 4 right? I'm debating just waiting around until 4 students show up ... I get in 9-ish ... Otherwise I'll have to take a cab.

Where is everyone staying tonight? Anyone get reservations on base?

Where is everyone staying tonight? Anyone get reservations on base?

Hampton inn/suites downtown on commerce. BTW drove around on base a little earlier today, outside the gate is GHETTO AS HELL!

Hampton inn/suites downtown on commerce. BTW drove around on base a little earlier today, outside the gate is GHETTO AS HELL!

Yeah, I drove through that way a few years ago and I agree. Is your hotel reasonable/safe? I found a 3-star for $73 on Hotwire, so I might do that. Maxwell and gunter were both full when I called last night.

You guys are already there? Cool. I'm about to leave to catch a red eye flight. See you all in the morning!!!

AF COT starts in 12-16 hours! A couple of us are meeting on or near base for breakfast ~ 9:00 am. If anyone else is interested send me a message or txt me (posted number on FB group wall) Cell reception is ok outside, but drops calls inside base lodging.

The base is nice, but yeah, right outside looks trashy. We drove to East Chase for dinner. BTW I have some Pre-shrunken men's 40R ABU tops and 32R ABU bottoms that can be had for ~ $20 each... lol

COT Welcome Package Link

Can anyone answer these for me? The only part I know is my sponsor's name and gaining location.

*GAINING COMMANDER (Rank/Name):
*GAINING COMMANDER PHONE (DSN):
*GAINING UNIT (Example: 425 ABS/JA):
*GAINING LOCATION (Base & State/Country):
*SPONSOR (Rank/Name):
*SPONSOR PHONE (DSN):
*OFFICER CAREER FIELD TITLE:
(*Must provide information upon arrival to COT)

Did everyone make it safely to COT? Have a great time in training!!

COT Welcome Package Link

Can anyone answer these for me? The only part I know is my sponsor's name and gaining location.

*GAINING COMMANDER (Rank/Name):
*GAINING COMMANDER PHONE (DSN):
*GAINING UNIT (Example: 425 ABS/JA):
*GAINING LOCATION (Base & State/Country):
*SPONSOR (Rank/Name):
*SPONSOR PHONE (DSN):
*OFFICER CAREER FIELD TITLE:
(*Must provide information upon arrival to COT)

I never got a sponsor, so u know more than me:)

alright team, you remember xsmr3? Remember what a bizarre cat he is? Well we are at oblc and ... he's weirder than you thought. He speaks with a FAKE BRITISH ACCENT all the time! From his mouth he "taught himself to speak like that" 7 years ago. Every word he utters is in this rediculous accent.

Also he carries around a briefcase filled with artificial sweetener.

ok, enough ragging on a random dude for me.

alright team, you remember xsmr3? Remember what a bizarre cat he is? Well we are at oblc and ... he's weirder than you thought. He speaks with a FAKE BRITISH ACCENT all the time! From his mouth he "taught himself to speak like that" 7 years ago. Every word he utters is in this rediculous accent.

wow!

Awesome... now I know who to talk to when the coffee shop runs out of splenda. :laugh:

Awww uncool man. We should be more accepting.

On that note, he really needs to drop that, or his career in the army probably won't be very long. Or he at least needs to stop telling people the real story behind it.

Hey guys, hope you all had a good 4th. I'm planning on applying this round to USU and just received my secondary. I was just wondering if anyone could make light of the research I've done in terms of acceptance stats. I understand that the basic profile is average 3.5+ GPA and 30 MCAT. On MDapplicants, that seemed like the few accepted students that were on the site were in both ranges.

I'm just wondering from what you guys have seen this round of applications on SDN if I have a shot or not. I'm set GPA wise with a CUM.GPA 3.94 and BCPM 3.84, but my MCAT is dragging me down with an 8/9/10/R (27R) PS/VR/BS/W breakdown. I am studying for a retake in the second week of August. I've got a fair amount of healthcare experience with 300+ hours shadowing a vascular surgeon, 50+ hours shadowing in an ER, 40 hours volunteering in a free clinic, and some exposure to medicine in central America.

Also, have your standard list of leadership roles including presidency of a non-health student org, smaller leader roles in other community advocacy groups, and an active member of a club team. Lastly, I'm a born and raised Army brat, have been seeing military physicians all of my life, and really really want the structure and experience I'm going to get in the service.

Considering you guys have been living and breathing applying to this school for the past year, I know some of you can offer a better perspective than anyone else. Thanks in advance :D

Hey guys, hope you all had a good 4th. I'm planning on applying this round to USU and just received my secondary. I was just wondering if anyone could make light of the research I've done in terms of acceptance stats. I understand that the basic profile is average 3.5+ GPA and 30 MCAT. On MDapplicants, that seemed like the few accepted students that were on the site were in both ranges.

I'm just wondering from what you guys have seen this round of applications on SDN if I have a shot or not. I'm set GPA wise with a CUM.GPA 3.94 and BCPM 3.84, but my MCAT is dragging me down with an 8/9/10/R (27R) PS/VR/BS/W breakdown. I am studying for a retake in the second week of August. I've got a fair amount of healthcare experience with 300+ hours shadowing a vascular surgeon, 50+ hours shadowing in an ER, 40 hours volunteering in a free clinic, and some exposure to medicine in central America.

Also, have your standard list of leadership roles including presidency of a non-health student org, smaller leader roles in other community advocacy groups, and an active member of a club team. Lastly, I'm a born and raised Army brat, have been seeing military physicians all of my life, and really really want the structure and experience I'm going to get in the service.

Considering you guys have been living and breathing applying to this school for the past year, I know some of you can offer a better perspective than anyone else. Thanks in advance :D

One thing to consider when sending in your AMCAS. You may or may not want to say you plan to retake the MCAT. If USUHS knows you are retaking, they will NOT review your app for an interview until those scores are in, so.......

Just an option, I think if you apply early enough (like yesterday) you will get an interview with your stats. Then by the time you interview (interviews don't start til Sept) you will have your new scores back by then or just after the interview, if you get an early one. That way, your interview is done, you have an updated MCAT, your package goes to the admissions committee (with your updated score) and you find out much sooner.

On the other hand, if your package doesn't even start getting reviewed for an interview until after your scores come back (Sept), then you wont interview until probably Nov/Dec or later, then you could be screwed because your late.

Happened that way for a friend of mine and it worked out just fine.

One thing to consider when sending in your AMCAS. You may or may not want to say you plan to retake the MCAT. If USUHS knows you are retaking, they will NOT review your app for an interview until those scores are in, so.......

Just an option, I think if you apply early enough (like yesterday) you will get an interview with your stats. Then by the time you interview (interviews don't start til Sept) you will have your new scores back by then or just after the interview, if you get an early one. That way, your interview is done, you have an updated MCAT, your package goes to the admissions committee (with your updated score) and you find out much sooner.

On the other hand, if your package doesn't even start getting reviewed for an interview until after your scores come back (Sept), then you wont interview until probably Nov/Dec or later, then you could be screwed because your late.

Happened that way for a friend of mine and it worked out just fine.

Unfortunately, I put down that I was retaking in AMCAS on the account that a couple schools I was waitlisted this cycle advised me to. I was planning on calling admissions to ask a couple questions, so I could ask about that. After all, I haven't officially signed up for the August retake, just figured I should do it.

By the way, thanks for the help guys. Side curiosity, are there any endurance sports student groups that any of you that may have interviewed or received acceptances would know of? Definitely want to maintain the base I've been building for next year if I get in :)

Hey everyone! How's COT/OBC/OTC going thus far? As for me, I'm working on secondaries (Round 2) whoohoo!

...I'd hate to ask, but do you guys think that there's any chance that a slot will open up for those who are currently still waitlisted???

Hey everyone! How's COT/OBC/OTC going thus far? As for me, I'm working on secondaries (Round 2) whoohoo!

...I'd hate to ask, but do you guys think that there's any chance that a slot will open up for those who are currently still waitlisted???

Yesterday was the half way point for COT. It's getting a little better, but we are still pretty much locked down to the campus. I heard the Army people have been allowed to go off base on weekends....not so here. Maybe tomorrow? :xf:

If there is anyone here who is possibly going to COT next year, here's some advice: TRY to get your uniforms in order before you get here. I had mine ready to go, and I feel sorry for all the people who were told they could get everything here and not to worry about it. You CAN get everything here, but there is a lot of inconvenience associated with doing that, and you really don't need the extra hassle. Plus (and this may not happen every class) if you get your stuff back a day late from alterations like our class did, you may be forced to wear dirty ABUs after one of your field events. Not comfortable. Also, the AAFES clerks, while knowledgable and kind, don't have time to provide 330 students with the service they need. We have probably a hundred students with missmatched ABU sets who were told they don't have to match. Technically true, but it doesn't look real sharp.

What MAJCOM does USUHS fall under...?
The MAJCOM question just doesn't seem to compute with USUHS in the equation.

ODS complete! I can say first hand that the Navy will be well represented when we arrive at USUHS in August. Hopefully the Army and Air Force are sending as good of a group. Can't wait to meet the rest of you shortly.

Last edited:
ODS complete! I can say first hand that the Navy will be well represented when we arrive at USUHS in August. Hopefully the Army and Air Force are sending as good of a group. Can't wait to meet the rest of you shortly.

Congrats and see you all soon. I'm jealous of all the time between training and USUHS you all get. o.0
We AF peeps will have only a few days.

Congrats and see you all soon. I'm jealous of all the time between training and USUHS you all get. o.0
We AF peeps will have only a few days.

hey-- look at the bright side-- it means we don't have to take any leave days. Last I heard, a lot Army and Navy folk coming from their trainings are having to take leave, but since our travel days have us not arriving until the day we have to report, we're set. besides, we only have to be there for 2 days the first week and 3 the second week. and after Tuesday, everything is easy peasy:)

I have to set the record straight. My accent is not fake, I developed it after living in england as a child. I came back speaking like I did.

The confusion over "learning to speak like that" refers to 7 years in which I tried to change my accent, (was bullied ruthlessly in school over it). I managed to learn a couple of other accents, but the only American accent I could muster was southern and it isn't very good, (think Forrest Gump).

As for the briefcase, I used one for the first couple of days until I discovered that a backpack was a much better option.

As for the splenda, that was a habit I developed back in 2009 when I had to lose 170 lbs in 10 months to get into USUHS. Field Training at Camp Bullis helped me break it.

I apologize to Steve for whatever I did to offend you enough to post what you did. I absolutely loved BOLC and had the best time of my life and I made a ton of fantastic friends while I was there. I am sincerely sorry you were not one of them, (I still hold out hope that I may have changed your mind by the end of the 6 weeks, just as most people came to enjoy and appreciate 2LT LaPlace's "uniqueness" by the end of BOLC:D

Hopefully over the coming years I will be able to prove to you all that I am a cool and optimistic guy and any "eccentricities" I may possess are an asset to our group:D

Status
Not open for further replies.