2009-2010 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My GPA isn't too bad... undergrad c/sGPA 3.4; grad GPA 3.7; post-bac GPA 4.0. I dunno, I just don't want to apply until I'm confident.

I think you've done everything you can do at this point. Your numbers seem competitive (and I don't think they'll question your dedication). Unless you talk like spock from star trek or something I don't see how you couldn't get in somewhere next year!

Members don't see this ad.

What would y'all think would be appropriate dress for a male for a post-interview feedback session with Dr. Smith? Button-down and khakis or a suit?

What would y'all think would be appropriate dress for a male for a post-interview feedback session with Dr. Smith? Button-down and khakis or a suit?

Hmm.. I would probably do button down and khakis

Members don't see this ad :)
that's what i was thinking. i just didn't want to be underdressed. anyone disagree?

I suggest a sport coat with tie and kacki's. It conveys that you are serious about wanting his feedback and respectful about his position without being overdressed. Just buttondown and kacki's are a little too casual - suit is overdressing. Also make sure your shoes are polished.

I suggest a sport coat with tie and kacki's. It conveys that you are serious about wanting his feedback and respectful about his position without being overdressed. Just buttondown and kacki's are a little too casual - suit is overdressing. Also make sure your shoes are polished.

yeah that's probably the safer play. i'll go with that. thanks.

That's over dressed imo... But just go with whatever you will feel comfortable wearing.

That's over dressed imo... But just go with whatever you will feel comfortable wearing.

I would suggest he wear something like this: :cool:

TopHat_History.jpg

:laugh:

Haha, that is probably the best opening for that show ever.

Seriously though...that tie is completely the wrong color!

You guys seem to think you can be overdressed meeting with the dean of admissions. IMO, I would probably say wear what you would wear to any job interview: a business suit.

Think of it this way: how does it look if Dr. Smith shows up in a suit and you show up looking like you are about to go play a round of golf in a polo and some slacks?

Just got out of feedback. Dr. Smith said they hit 3rd tier today.

:laugh:

Haha, that is probably the best opening for that show ever.

Seriously though...that tie is completely the wrong color!

You guys seem to think you can be overdressed meeting with the dean of admissions. IMO, I would probably say wear what you would wear to any job interview: a business suit.

Think of it this way: how does it look if Dr. Smith shows up in a suit and you show up looking like you are about to go play a round of golf in a polo and some slacks?

he was wearing seersucker pants with a white shirt and a tie when i went in, no coat. i wore khakis, a white shirt, a tie, and a blazer. i think what i wore was appropriate. i think a suit would have been fine, but khakis and a button down might have been a little too informal.

I wore scrubs straight from work. Beyond your favorite Primus T-shirt and raggedy blue jeans I think you're fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted from third tier!!! Dr. Smith personally handed me the letter during my feedback appt

ACCEPTED!!! third tier... im also in nyc on vacation, time to celebrate!!!

Confirmed: a friend of mine was just accepted off third tier a few minutes ago.

EDIT: this same friend is probably bamapremeds ... I just didn't know they were on the board.

Just got accepted to UAB - 3rd tier - looks like it is starting to move hope the rest of you get in soon too!!

Accepted:
soexcited87 (A: 4/8, 1st Tier)
DrHKitty's Other Friend (A: 4/9ish, 1st Tier)
Alethea (A: 4/16, 1st Tier)
Crimsonred's Friend (A: 4/9ish, 1st Tier)
doctor shmoctor (A: 4/19, 1st Tier)
ercxi (A: 4/23, 1st Tier)
crimsonred (A: 4/23, 1st Tier)
2324tigers (A: 4/23, 1st tier)
ddroukas (A: 4/30, 1st Tier)
wOnder (A: 5/3, 1st Tier)
20paige10's friend (A: 5/3, 1st Tier)
Bamamed19's friend (A: 5/5 1st tier)
tidefan (A: 5/13 2nd tier) - withdrew acceptance
dr zaius (A: 5/18 2nd tier) - withdrew acceptance
Neuro 1987 (A 5/18 2nd tier) - may defer
20Paige10 (A 5/18 2nd tier)
tnelly2 (A: 5/18/ 2nd tier)
AUnontrad (A: 5/21 2nd tier)
auburnO5 (A: 5/21 2nd tier)
obrienwspt (A: 5/25 2nd tier)
georgd1 (A: 5/27/ 2nd tier)
fireproof (A: 5/27 2nd tier)
Ball00nHands (A: 6/4 2nd tier)
20PAIGE10's friend (A: 6/4 2nd tier)
BrownSpice360 (A: 6/10 3rd tier; CBC email 6/1)
bamapremeds (A: 6/10 3rd tier; CBC email 6/1)
ERS (A: 6/10 3rd tier; CBC email 6/1)

Still waiting:
Lower Third
obrienwspt's friend (CBC email 6/1)
Tully Mars (CBC email 6/1)
BamaMed19 (?)
Bamafan87 (?)
piper19 (?)
thejetplane (no CBC email)
DrHKitty (no CBC email)
Ditto1114 (no CBC email)

congrats to the 3 of y'all who were accepted today. hopefully that means i'll be pretty soon behind you. obrienwspt, any word from your friend?

Congrats everyone who was accepted!!! :p

PS. Tully - did Dr. Smith give you any good info/suggestions?

Accepted:
soexcited87 (A: 4/8, 1st Tier)
DrHKitty's Other Friend (A: 4/9ish, 1st Tier)
Alethea (A: 4/16, 1st Tier)
Crimsonred's Friend (A: 4/9ish, 1st Tier)
doctor shmoctor (A: 4/19, 1st Tier)
ercxi (A: 4/23, 1st Tier)
crimsonred (A: 4/23, 1st Tier)
2324tigers (A: 4/23, 1st tier)
ddroukas (A: 4/30, 1st Tier)
wOnder (A: 5/3, 1st Tier)
20paige10's friend (A: 5/3, 1st Tier)
Bamamed19's friend (A: 5/5 1st tier)
tidefan (A: 5/13 2nd tier) - withdrew acceptance
dr zaius (A: 5/18 2nd tier) - withdrew acceptance
Neuro 1987 (A 5/18 2nd tier) - may defer
20Paige10 (A 5/18 2nd tier)
tnelly2 (A: 5/18/ 2nd tier)
AUnontrad (A: 5/21 2nd tier)
auburnO5 (A: 5/21 2nd tier)
obrienwspt (A: 5/25 2nd tier)
georgd1 (A: 5/27/ 2nd tier)
fireproof (A: 5/27 2nd tier)
Ball00nHands (A: 6/4 2nd tier)
20PAIGE10's friend (A: 6/4 2nd tier)
BrownSpice360 (A: 6/10 3rd tier; CBC email 6/1)
bamapremeds (A: 6/10 3rd tier; CBC email 6/1)
ERS (A: 6/10 3rd tier; CBC email 6/1)

Still waiting:
Lower Third
obrienwspt's friend (CBC email 6/1)
Tully Mars (CBC email 6/1)
BamaMed19 (?)
Bamafan87 (?)
piper19 (?)
thejetplane (no CBC email)
DrHKitty (no CBC email)
Ditto1114 (no CBC email)

congrats to the 3 of y'all who were accepted today. hopefully that means i'll be pretty soon behind you. obrienwspt, any word from your friend?

Thanks Tully. Well we finally know wht the cbc emails mean. I'm sure you will hear very soon abt ur acceptance

Congrats everyone who was accepted!!! :p

PS. Tully - did Dr. Smith give you any good info/suggestions?

He told me over and over again that "you're in a good position." He said I wasn't next, but that I wasn't far down the list. He did say that people in my position have been accepted about 50% of the time, but then he immediately followed that by saying that we have to be really careful about what we tell people that are still on the alternate list, so I'm hoping that's what he was doing when he said 50%. At one point when we were talking about advising and whatnot, he even used the phrase "when you get here," so I'm hoping that that was an indication, but trying not to get my hopes up too much because if I don't get in it would be a huge letdown.

As for how far the waitlist will move, he really gave no indication. I don't think he really knows. The only thing he said was that they have a number of people who are still holding multiple acceptances. How large that number is, I don't know. Sorry I can't tell you more, but that's all he told me and he honestly probably doesnt know much more than that.

Hopefully they'll send out some more CBC emails soon. That would be a good sign for whoever gets them as well as myself. I really wish I knew for sure so I didnt have to keep studying for the MCAT next week.

brownspice, ers, bamapremed, other accepted people...any of you guys mind sharing stats?

haha nice droukas, glad you figured out it was me!!

I am going to wait on south. I got tuscaloosa campus so I may choose south over UAB, but im not sure.

I am a re-applicant, 32 mcat, 3.6 GPA.

brownspice, ers, bamapremed, other accepted people...any of you guys mind sharing stats?

Sure thing. I'm instate, first-time applicant, had a 29 MCAT and 3.51 GPA. I had plenty of research, shadowing, and volunteering :)

I just noticed that on the information for current applicants page that it says they are currently accepting applicants from the "lower first" of the alternate list. i'm not sure if this is a mistake and it's supposed to say "lower third" or if they are indicating that they are in the top part of the lower third and will update it as they move through. hopefully, it's their way of being more specific for the third tier and they will update it in the future.

yeah i saw that lower first and thought it was typo too. I was wondering if the people left on the list minded sharing some stats? I didnt get a cbc email either so i am hoping for some more to be sent out in the next few weeks so there is still hope!

yeah i saw that lower first and thought it was typo too. I was wondering if the people left on the list minded sharing some stats? I didnt get a cbc email either so i am hoping for some more to be sent out in the next few weeks so there is still hope!

3.51/34/is

3.51/34/is

I got a 30 on my first attempt, and have almost exactly the same GPA. I am currently studying to retake. The fact that even if I do happen to make a 33+ and still will have a tough time getting in is disconcerting. :scared:

I got a 30 on my first attempt, and have almost exactly the same GPA. I am currently studying to retake. The fact that even if I do happen to make a 33+ and still will have a tough time getting in is disconcerting. :scared:

There are other factors besides GPA and MCAT. Just look above at BrownSpice getting in with a 3.51 and a 29. I don't think my interviews went as well as they could have. They weren't bad and I don't think I said anything wrong, but I'm just not as naturally enthusiastic and outgoing as some people and I think they took that to mean that I'm not as passionate about medicine as some other applicants. It sucks for me because I don't think that's something that should be judged in a 15 minute interview, but I guess it is something I need to work on, whether I get in this year or not. Plenty of people have gotten in with scores similar to mine and yours.

There are other factors besides GPA and MCAT. Just look above at BrownSpice getting in with a 3.51 and a 29. I don't think my interviews went as well as they could have. They weren't bad and I don't think I said anything wrong, but I'm just not as naturally enthusiastic and outgoing as some people and I think they took that to mean that I'm not as passionate about medicine as some other applicants. It sucks for me because I don't think that's something that should be judged in a 15 minute interview, but I guess it is something I need to work on, whether I get in this year or not. Plenty of people have gotten in with scores similar to mine and yours.

That's true..and I know there are a lot of built-in selective factors such as fit, but I mean 34 is pretty solid! Still looks pretty hopeful for you this year.

That's okay, this gives me some motivation to rock the mcat for next year year!

I am the exact same way. In my interview feedback from last year they basically told me word for word that I wasn't enthusiastic and passionate enough and that I probably didn't know what medicine was all about - or at least that's the way I came off during the interviews.

So for the second go around I made sure that I chugged two cups of coffee beforehand and tried to be overly enthusiastic in the interviews... :rolleyes:

I am the exact same way. In my interview feedback from last year they basically told me word for word that I wasn't enthusiastic and passionate enough and that I probably didn't know what medicine was all about - or at least that's the way I came off during the interviews.

So for the second go around I made sure that I chugged two cups of coffee beforehand and tried to be overly enthusiastic in the interviews... :rolleyes:

Noted. While I don't think I did too bad this year w/ interviews, I'm going to step it up a notch next year...This applicant "goes to 11" !

I thought my interviews didn't go too well bc I'm like the same way in that I'm not very outgoing and have a low-toned voice. AND I get really nervous before important events like the mcat and interviews. But I tried to suck that all up and act like I'm really passionate and enthusiastic. Ofcourse that was probably after the ice was broken with the first interview. I'm thinking that the best way to deal with that was talking to other people before the interviews and calm down.

At my feedback appt, I asked Dr. Smith what needed to be strengthened on my application just out of curiousity. He also said the same thing that my interviewers said that I didn't have enough of an in-depth understanding of shadowing/medicine.

At my feedback appt, I asked Dr. Smith what needed to be strengthened on my application just out of curiousity. He also said the same thing that my interviewers said that I didn't have enough of an in-depth understanding of shadowing/medicine.

Maybe that is just something they tell everyone, because I worked part time for 3 years in a hospital as a patient care assistant and I got the same response. :shrug:

Oh well! Doesn't really matter now.

Good luck to everyone still waiting...

for you guys that have interviewed more than once...were any of your interviewers the same as the year before?

For those playing the numbers game, according to Greenbook, UAB has accepted 256 people. I'm not sure how many they typically accept but I thought it was usually around 270. I know the number of total acceptances is probably pretty dynamic but it should give a decent idea of how many spots could be left

For those playing the numbers game, according to Greenbook, UAB has accepted 256 people. I'm not sure how many they typically accept but I thought it was usually around 270. I know the number of total acceptances is probably pretty dynamic but it should give a decent idea of how many spots could be left

Wow, so that's everyone that's been accepted? I guess that includes EMSAP so that's why the number is so high.

Wow, so that's everyone that's been accepted? I guess that includes EMSAP so that's why the number is so high.

well looking at their stats from last year, they accepted 275 and 256 the year before. The trend seems to be more out of state people being accepted and thus more overall

well looking at their stats from last year, they accepted 275 and 256 the year before. The trend seems to be more out of state people being accepted and thus more overall

i hope they have 15-20 more left to give. i know i'm close, but i'm afraid the wait list is close to done moving. i was kind of disappointed that nobody heard anything last week.

i hope they have 15-20 more left to give. i know i'm close, but i'm afraid the wait list is close to done moving. i was kind of disappointed that nobody heard anything last week.

Don't give up hope. Remember they keep accepting until orientation. How did ur mcat go? I hope it went well :xf:

Don't give up hope. Remember they keep accepting until orientation. How did ur mcat go? I hope it went well :xf:

thanks. i'm not giving up. i was just hoping that with the rest of you that got the email getting in 2 weeks ago that i would get in a week later. i know there's a lot of time left, but i think i'm going to need some people that are already accepted to get into a school that they would rather go to for me to get in. i think my mcat went pretty well. i don't know if i made as high as last time, but i'd be pretty surprised if i didnt make above a 30. it's pretty tough to go back and learn all that stuff when you havent had it in 3-4 years. thanks for the encouragement though.

thanks. i'm not giving up. i was just hoping that with the rest of you that got the email getting in 2 weeks ago that i would get in a week later. i know there's a lot of time left, but i think i'm going to need some people that are already accepted to get into a school that they would rather go to for me to get in. i think my mcat went pretty well. i don't know if i made as high as last time, but i'd be pretty surprised if i didnt make above a 30. it's pretty tough to go back and learn all that stuff when you havent had it in 3-4 years. thanks for the encouragement though.

That's great that your mcat went well. And it looks good to admissions since you retook it knowing that you still have a good chance of gettin in. I really think that it's only a matter of time for you since you already got that email. I would seriously not give up hope in your position.

That's great that your mcat went well. And it looks good to admissions since you retook it knowing that you still have a good chance of gettin in. I really think that it's only a matter of time for you since you already got that email. I would seriously not give up hope in your position.

thanks for helping me keep my hopes up. i'll be sure to post it here immediately if i hear anything. i hope i get the opportunity to meet you in late july.

thanks for helping me keep my hopes up. i'll be sure to post it here immediately if i hear anything. i hope i get the opportunity to meet you in late july.
You still have a little more than a month before orientation, surely a few more people will drop out within that time period and you will get in. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.