2009-2010 University of Texas Galveston (UTMB) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Tech schools were fast--but that was early in the cycle. For instance, I got the Lubbock offer two days after I submitted the secondary (mid July). El Paso offer came mid July as well. A&M was two or three days after completion of the secondary (late July). UT-Houston was the first week of August...so 1 month after verification. UTSW and Baylor were both offered in the last 2 weeks...so that would be 2ish months after completion. For Baylor, I think I was complete around July 1st.

The weird thing about UTMB was that I got NOTHING from the school to indicate that I was even an applicant there--hence the email I finally sent a few weeks ago. San Antonio sent me an 'under review' email in mid-July, but nothing since.

Good luck at UT-Houston, BranMed! Why the frown?? It's a great school, and quite competitive...you should be proud of yourself! I'll actually be across the way at Baylor that same day. I've heard that UT-Houston students consistently beat the Baylor folks in various athletic showdowns...but that's coming from the UT-H students!

Thanks for telling about the dates so I can keep a look out... Well the frown face was because it's the only school i have been offered in texas, and I was hoping for more. I know I applied kind of late but I was hoping that my mcat scores would be enough to make them want to invite me. But I guess not. I have out of state offers but it's just so darn expensive to go interview and I was hoping that maybe if I had enough I wouldn't have to spend thousands on transportation/accomdation for the out of state ones.

oh well... Hey canjosh... another question (and I'm sorry I'm asking you so many) but when did you get verified for TMDSAS? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Verified on 7/9 for TMDSAS...and don't give up hope yet. Most schools interview right up to the holidays, and Baylor goes into February. Keep in mind that later in the cycle, they have a higher volume of apps to work through, so turnaround times will be longer. I imagine that you wouldn't see the quick responses I saw no matter the quality of your app. The pile is just bigger at this point in the cycle.

I got an interview invite last week...and they sent me another one today :confused:

I emailed the nice lady who took care of the verification of attendance emails. She said it was a mistake and no action is needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's so little chitchat about UTMB on here, seems odd. I liked what I read about the school. I was really hoping for an interview, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. I was verified and released in early August. But, you never know, I suppose.

I emailed the nice lady who took care of the verification of attendance emails. She said it was a mistake and no action is needed.
aww and here I was hoping that it just meant they really liked me. lol. I am starting to get nervous/excited for Fri!!

So I heard that UT Houston fills up most of their seats though the match. Does anyone know if UTMB gives out a lot of prematch offers or do they also predominantly use the match to fill up their class?

Is anyone that is interviewing this Fri planning on going to the social Thurs night?

UTMB is an awesome place! I would be so grateful for good news.:love:

Last edited:
I was interviewed on the 14th of August...yeah a looooooooooooooooooong time ago. But I still have no news. I'm an OOS student and was hoping to hear something after the 15th Oct...:confused:. The WAIT is terribly stressing me out.

i just got my UTMB interview invite today, but they picked the same day as my temple univ interview that i scheduled last week! can anyone tell me if UTMB is okay with rescheduling if you're out of the state for the day they assign you in the e-mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
i just got my UTMB interview invite today, but they picked the same day as my temple univ interview that i scheduled last week! can anyone tell me if UTMB is okay with rescheduling if you're out of the state for the day they assign you in the e-mail?

congrats, when was your TMDSAS verified, if you don't mind?

also, anyone receive a rejection from UTMB or any other TMDSAS school? this whole wait and not hear anything (good or bad) mess is killing me.

I was interviewed on the 14th of August...yeah a looooooooooooooooooong time ago. But I still have no news. I'm an OOS student and was hoping to hear something after the 15th Oct...:confused:. The WAIT is terribly stressing me out.

Last year UTMB began giving out acceptances around Nov. 15th. I'm OOS too and I would love to go to UTMB!:love::love:

hahaha, i was a hot mess...
verified aug 3, but one of my professors took a million years to get a rec letter in so my committee packet wasn't ready until sept 31! i was pretty sure i was screwed.

I rescheduled mine in August. Just do it quickly I think and you should be fine.

I interviewed at UTMB on Oct 2nd, which was my 2nd interview after BCM. Both have very good curriculum that are PBL based and the students have lectures from 8-12 everyday(sweet!) sometimes with PBL in the afternoon. I had great experiences in both interview days except I had to walk SO much during my UTMB interview. they give you a school map and the interviewers are randomly scattered across the entire campus. Lots and lots of walking outdoors. Also, everyone was so nice there in Galveston, not just the students and faculty. I asked a lady for direction and she ended up walking with me for 10+ mins.

Not sure how I feel about Galveston yet but I think UTMB has a lot to offer and it's def a school I'd love to go to.

Looking forward to hear back from them! Good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

also, anyone receive a rejection from UTMB or any other TMDSAS school? this whole wait and not hear anything (good or bad) mess is killing me.

I called them and they said they only had a couple of interview dates left and they usually notify the person interviewee at least 2 weeks ahead (although there have been exceptions). So after doing some dirty math, I figured if I didn't get an interview invite from UTMB before Nov.15th, I'm not gonna get one.

My friend who got verified like Aug10th and transmitted to the schools the next day, didn't get invited until this week for the Nov 6th interview and he had good scores... so who knows?

I, too, haven't heard from this school... :(

I haven't heard yet either :( I was only verified like September 1st, and yes I know how late that is, although I didn't know at the time that I was applying pretty late. I have been really interested in this school too; one of the doctors that I shadowed went here and said she loved it. Let's hope we hear something in the next two weeks.

well, i was verified back in july. i haven't heard from utmb, which was THE school I really wanted to hear from. I figured they've look at my application and weren't interested? How does it work, will they look at you again or will they consider giving interviews to those that were verified back in july, even though its hitting close to november?

I have the same question as Natfan05. I was verified late-July and have interviewed at Tech, San Antonio, Houston and A&M. I am really hoping that I will receive an invitation from UTMB, but I'm worried that I was reviewed and passed over months ago.

I have the same question as Natfan05. I was verified late-July and have interviewed at Tech, San Antonio, Houston and A&M. I am really hoping that I will receive an invitation from UTMB, but I'm worried that I was reviewed and passed over months ago.

I was verified September 12th and still managed to get interviews at schools, in fact i turned in my secondaries for the ones that required on Oct 1st the last day so I don't know why UTMB is being so odd.

But talking to the admissions lady she said that after they process your file and bring it up to the admissions board (which is usually 3-4 weeks) after you get verified by TMDSAS. The board decides whether or not they want to extend an invite. They usually extend the invite a week after their review of your application. If your application has not been chosen by then it goes back into the pool and when they want to look at interviews they will again look at your file (although I doubt this because she's not going to look at 4000 other yet to be invited applicants)

I'm pretty upset about this. Do you guys mind sharing your mcat and gpa?

Mine is 32R and 3.75

I was verified September 12th and still managed to get interviews at schools, in fact i turned in my secondaries for the ones that required on Oct 1st the last day so I don't know why UTMB is being so odd.

But talking to the admissions lady she said that after they process your file and bring it up to the admissions board (which is usually 3-4 weeks) after you get verified by TMDSAS. The board decides whether or not they want to extend an invite. They usually extend the invite a week after their review of your application. If your application has not been chosen by then it goes back into the pool and when they want to look at interviews they will again look at your file (although I doubt this because she's not going to look at 4000 other yet to be invited applicants)

I'm pretty upset about this. Do you guys mind sharing your mcat and gpa?

Mine is 32R and 3.75

hmm interesting process.
If you don't mind me asking..what other invites have you gotten!?

I have a 3.99 and 28 MCAT..i was verified Aug 18 but my second MCAT score (the 28) came on Sept 15ish. i only have 2 invites..TCOM and Tech-El Paso.
I really would LOVE to go to UTMB! but i guess they don't want me??! ahh who knows!

Yeah, this process is a little random. Check out my MD apps page to see my stats/interviews. Wanted to visit UTMB, but doesn't look likely.

hmm interesting process.
If you don't mind me asking..what other invites have you gotten!?

I have a 3.99 and 28 MCAT..i was verified Aug 18 but my second MCAT score (the 28) came on Sept 15ish. i only have 2 invites..TCOM and Tech-El Paso.
I really would LOVE to go to UTMB! but i guess they don't want me??! ahh who knows!

I was verified on Sept12 but didn't actually get transmitted to schools until the 19th. I got an interview to UT Houston on Sept 25th. I finished the UT Southwestern secondary application on October 1st at 10:30 pm and was invited for an interview October 15th. I got an interview to Baylor on October 19th. I haven't heard from any other schools.

I've been super stressed because I really really really want an interview from the other schools! I was hoping UTMB would invite me but I guess they don't like that my application is a little alternative... but I still have my fingers crossed!

I was verified on Sept12 but didn't actually get transmitted to schools until the 19th. I got an interview to UT Houston on Sept 25th. I finished the UT Southwestern secondary application on October 1st at 10:30 pm and was invited for an interview October 15th. I got an interview to Baylor on October 19th. I haven't heard from any other schools.

I've been super stressed because I really really really want an interview from the other schools! I was hoping UTMB would invite me but I guess they don't like that my application is a little alternative... but I still have my fingers crossed!

alternative?

It's funny how all the other threads for schools not in Texas are lit up with responses and the ones for the Texas schools are slow because the first round of acceptances aren't till Nov 15th. I think the waiting is the worse part.

alternative?

Haha, maybe he/she means a little nontraditional--like mine. I'm older, non-science major, etc. and haven't been shown love by UTMB or San Antonio. Who knows, maybe they didn't like my PS or something. I just chalk it up to randomness.

Warped--this thread is on fire now baby!

Haha, maybe he/she means a little nontraditional--like mine. I'm older, non-science major, etc. and haven't been shown love by UTMB or San Antonio. Who knows, maybe they didn't like my PS or something. I just chalk it up to randomness.

Ahahha that's what i thought too that maybe my PS sucked or something like that! But if anyone is interested I called San Antonio earlier today and they said that TMDSAS was VERY slow this year and that it backlogged a lot of schools and basically they're sort of onhold for extending interviewees(GOOD NEWS:)) .

Ps Canjosh I have no doubt that will get into medical school this year... I looked at your stats and they were IMPRESSIVE!

Hi BranMed,
Would you mind let me know when you submitted the secondary for Baylor? Cuz I submitted like Oct 5 or something like that. I just want to know how long it takes them to send out invites. I know it might not be the same for everybody, but at least some kinda of estimate. Thanks a bunch.
I, myself, have only gotten interviews from TCOM, Texas Tech, and UTSW. I My MCAT score didn't come in until Oct 5, but I heard from UTSW and Texas Tech within a week.

I'm not really understanding the selection process (nor do i think i ever will). I have only received interviews from UTMB and San Antonio. I guess they are just looking for different breeds.

Last edited:
Hi BranMed,
Would you mind let me know when you submitted the secondary for Baylor? Cuz I submitted like Oct 5 or something like that. I just want to know how long it takes them to send out invites. I know it might not be the same for everybody, but at least some kinda of estimate. Thanks a bunch.
I, myself, have only gotten interviews from TCOM, Texas Tech, and UTSW. I My MCAT score didn't come in until Oct 5, but I heard from UTSW and Texas Tech within a week.

You should assume that hearing within a week is the exception not the rule, especially since you applied so late. For Baylor just be patient, I was complete there in June and received an interview invite in September--they interview through February I believe so you have a shot until then.

Hi BranMed,

I finished the secondary October 10th. Do you mind telling me when you finished the secondary for Texas Tech? Also when did you get verified for TMDSAS?

Question to all : Has anyone who was verified in September and their MCAT scores transmitted in September get an interview?

TMDSAS verified 9/9, complete 9/17, interviewed 10/9. And my stats aren't crazy amazing.

hah i thought "alternative" was an interesting choice of words.

I finished the secondary October 10th. Do you mind telling me when you finished the secondary for Texas Tech? Also when did you get verified for TMDSAS?

Question to all : Has anyone who was verified in September and their MCAT scores transmitted in September get an interview?

Thanks for telling me.
My TMDSAS was verified at the first week of August and all of my Texas secondaries were completed in July. But my MCAT score didn't come in end of Sept/beginning Oct cuz I took it at the end of August.
I really want to get interview invites from UT Houston and UTMB.

Thanks for telling me.
My TMDSAS was verified at the first week of August and all of my Texas secondaries were completed in July. But my MCAT score didn't come in end of Sept/beginning Oct cuz I took it at the end of August.

Thanks for telling me.

Thanks for telling me.

Thanks for telling me.

Thanks for telling me.

Thanks for telling me.

TMDSAS verified 9/9, complete 9/17, interviewed 10/9. And my stats aren't crazy amazing.

32 MCAT, cGPA 3.94, sGPA 3.89

I would say that's fairly amazing.. at least enough to warrant interviews with late submission.

I just got back from my interview with UTMB and it was wonderful! Loved the school and the people. My application wasn't transmitted until 10/5 and I got an interview notification the next week. Also have interviews at Houston, Tech, and Tech El Paso. If you submitted late, there is still hope!

I just got back from my interview with UTMB and it was wonderful! Loved the school and the people. My application wasn't transmitted until 10/5 and I got an interview notification the next week. Also have interviews at Houston, Tech, and Tech El Paso. If you submitted late, there is still hope!

Wow!! Congrats! when did you submit your secondaries? ps I thought the deadline was like 10/1?

I'm super jealous, I wonder if it's because I have such a low gpa >_<.

Aww, man now I'm super sad I wonder why they didn't want me...

I submitted my secondaries in July, before my application.

Status
Not open for further replies.