2009-2010 University of Texas San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wildcat, I'm in the same boat. I have heard nothing from them. I do not know what this means but I am calling them tomorrow to find out. I will let you know what I hear.

Members don't see this ad.

Wildcat, I called the admissions office and asked what it means if I didn't get an email. I was told that people who did not get emails will be receiving a rejection letter in the mail soon.

However, some other admissions personnel made it seem like this was not the end of the process. He said that if you interviewed, theres still a chance you can be added to the waitlist. It sounded like maybe they keep a short waitlist initially and then once they use those people up they call up more people, but I'm just speculating here. My hopes aren't too high...

I'm in state and got this email also. Unless I heard from them immediately I don't think I could accept an offer because I still would have to take biochem and my window to register for a summer biochem is closing fast. Too bad since this was my first choice...
I got the email too. In a very strange way, a small part of me wanted a rejection notice so I could drop my biochemistry. But I'll gladly keep the class, just in case I get into my #1. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Yaktor and anyone else in a similar position.

I called the admissions and it looks like rejection is inevitable. FML.

My pre-health advisor recommended going to look for a post baccalaureate program, but the deadlines have all passed by now I'm sure.

So what now? If I have to reapply in 3-4 months what could I possibly do to improve? Become an EMT? Like nobody's tried that before.

Recommendations anyone?

My pre-health advisor recommended going to look for a post baccalaureate program, but the deadlines have all passed by now I'm sure.

So what now? If I have to reapply in 3-4 months what could I possibly do to improve? Become an EMT? Like nobody's tried that before.

Recommendations anyone?
If your advisor recommended post-bac programs, I think you should look into them. A lot of students decide to attend the programs after not being accepted to medical school, so the deadlines are probably later than you think (though the sooner you submit, the better). The deadline for Georgetown's SMP, for example, is May 15.

As for being an EMT, the training is a lot longer than you might think. Even if you were able to get into a course right now, it would be at least several months before you got any sort of patient care. If I were you, I would evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of my application. If you are worried about patient care hours, see if you can start shadowing a physician now or volunteering in a hospital. You will get a lot more experience that way than trying to become an EMT right now. If the problem is volunteer hours, then you should try any kind of volunteering (medical or non-medical). If its the MCAT then start studying now and sign up for an early MCAT next year. If your grades are your only problem, a post-bac program is probably your best bet.

Don't be discouraged, there are plenty of things you can start doing right now to improve your application for next year!

Recommendations anyone?

The UNTHSC Medical Master's (pretty much a post-bacc) deadline is not until March 12th. It's a year long--you can apply while in the program--let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Has anyone actually gotten their rejection letter yet? I have not received either rejection or the wait list email.. I am guessing that means rejected lol

lauridi, I have not received either. It doesn't look good at this point, but I won't totally give up till I get the rejection letter.

Same here, no reply for waitlist or reject and interviewed in Oct as an OOS. I just called and sadly my name is no where to be found so they stalled and had me on hold for 10 mins and eventually said they will have to call me back. The anticipation is killing me, despite knowing the inevitable truth that its already mid Feb and they have filled OOS spots so I am fighting for a waitlist :(

Has anyone talked to someone from the admissions office about how many people get put on the waitlist and a good estimate of how many people get in off the waitlist

i just got a rejection letter! (no interview) :smuggrin:

Got a post-interview rejection email just now. I'm OOS and interviewed in early October. I let them know several times how much I loved them and how they were my first choice, but they did not love me. Why, Dr. Jones, why? I will now start hoping for a Texas residency! Well, congratulations to everyone who got in, and best of luck to those of you still waiting.

I hear ya, jcm14. I loved the school. It was my top choice and then I got no love from them.

Just got my rejection email (post interview). Oh well. Despite my love for the school, I think I will be just as happy elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't gotten any emails. What does that mean? haha. Maybe they're still going through the list of people to email rejection notices to.

REJECTED. Post-interview. This school too was my top choice. Looks like I'm movin on.

To all that received this waitlist/rejection letter:

"Our entering class of 2010 is already filled, and unfortunately it was not possible for us to offer you an acceptance to our school. However, between now and registration (scheduled for July 26, 2010), we expect that several spaces will become available as some of our accepted applicants withdraw to pursue other plans. Unless you ask us to do otherwise, your name will be in our alternate pool, and we shall be in touch with you if a space becomes available for you. Meanwhile if you retake the MCAT and your score improves, please inform me...

what were your MCAT scores if you don't mind me asking? Just trying to gauge where the cut-off was.

Also, I interviewed early but haven't heard a peep from anyone, no acceptance, rejection, wait-list deferral, nada...

Is anyone else in the same boat? what does that mean if we haven't heard anything?

30, OOS. found out i'm about 20 people down on the wait list. Keeping my fingers crossed, no clue how much movement there is on the OOS waitlist.

my bf got into hopkins and ucsf out of state, but he's instate for here, and didnt even get an interview... texas is full of blatant homophobes, i guess u can be out on amcas, but not on tmdsas, sad

30, OOS. found out i'm about 20 people down on the wait list. Keeping my fingers crossed, no clue how much movement there is on the OOS waitlist.

I JUST called them and they said the list wasn't ranked... but then again I'm in-state

So I had a 31Q but a lack-luster GPA. I guess the only thing I can do to amend that is: A) Post-bacc programs B) apply to a lot more schools...

anybody have any Post-bacc recommendations or thoughts?

What was your GPA is you don't mind telling us?
Do you think you could increase your MCAT if you took it again? 31Q isn't bad but it doesn't really scream 'pick me!', either. If you're GPA isn't that bad then maybe you could just retake the MCAT and blow it out of the water to compensate for your GPA? I'm sure it would take a lot less time than the post-bacc route.

That is a bit rash don't you think?

I agree.

That was a very irresponsible statement and shouldn't be dignified by any further response.

I had a 3.4 overall... I was thinking about retaking the MCAT but that'll give me only 2 months to prep, any success stories over short study time and big boost in overall score? I had V12 P08 and B11

I had a 3.4 overall... I was thinking about retaking the MCAT but that'll give me only 2 months to prep, any success stories over short study time and big boost in overall score? I had V12 P08 and B11

Do you have an upward trend towards the end of your GPA? If so, I would, again, suggest killing the MCAT. My brother matriculated to UTSW with a 3.5 and a balanced 34 after about 3 weeks of INTENSE prep (raised from a not so balanced 30). You have to really want it. Albeit, he had some pretty long-term and commited ECs.
Luckily for you, it seems that PS is the easiest section to improve on. If I were you, I would definitely take another go at. Your verbal score is killer btw.
How are your ECs?

Hey everyone! I'm new to SDN. Somehow I just now found out about this site =\.

I'm currently in the alternate pool at UTHSCSA. I haven't been able to get any information about the alternate pool (how many people are in it, what our chances might be, when we're mostly likely to hear from them, etc.), and was just wondering if there is anyone who might have info.

Thanks in advance, and best of luck to all those who are in the same boat!

Hey everyone! I'm new to SDN. Somehow I just now found out about this site =\.

I'm currently in the alternate pool at UTHSCSA. I haven't been able to get any information about the alternate pool (how many people are in it, what our chances might be, when we're mostly likely to hear from them, etc.), and was just wondering if there is anyone who might have info.

Thanks in advance, and best of luck to all those who are in the same boat!

As of last week they were still at capacity and have not started accepting off of the alternate list. My adviser contacted Dr. Jones about me and got the generic response if anyone is interested...

Dear Medical School Applicant:

I am continuously asked to provide information concerning why an applicant was not successful in their application to the University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio. It is important to realize that frequently there is no one clear reason. If you did not get an interview, comments are not provided so I cannot guide you as to the reviewers concerns. If you were interviewed, you might recall after your interviews, the interview narratives are placed back in your file and then members of the Selection Subcommittee discuss all aspects of the file. No comments are provided by the Selection Subcommittee to support their final scores.

Since no comments are provided in either situation, I cannot provide an informed answer as to why you were not successful and how to modify your application. It may well be misleading if I gave my opinion on your application since I am frequently not part of the evaluation or discussions. Academic issues are typically obvious to the applicant. However, efforts to modify other aspects of your application should be based on those activities that have “value” to you, and not activities just get into medical school. I therefore cannot advise you on those, since personal decisions will provide the direction.

My experience is that reapplicants are much more successful if they determine what might be shortcomings in their application and then act on them. At least this way there is a solid discussion point for the essay in the reapplication and especially for discussion during the interview the next year. Your Health Professions Advisors are also important sources of information. Remember, “responsibility” and “decision-making” are key elements of our evaluation of an applicant’s personal qualifications, especially those of reapplicants.

Should you have further questions, please email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to respond. I wish you well on your future efforts.

David J. Jones, Ph.D.
Professor and Associate Dean for Admissions
University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio

I'm also currently waitlisted for San Antonio. I'm in state with 30MCAT and 3.6 GPA. I applied very late in the season. Anyone heard anything about the waitlist?

Last edited:
V
I'm also currently waitlisted for San Antonio. I'm in state with 30MCAT and 3.6 GPA. I applied very late in the season. Anyone heard anything about the waitlist?

No news on waitlist yet... getting stir crazy like no other though! !!

I'm sorry for being totally out of sync with the thread but I am not sure where else to post my question.

I am an OOS applying this year (2010). My whole family moved to SA 3 years ago and I just love SA. But my husband and I live far, far away in the freezing Midwest. I graduated from school a year ago and started slowly studying for the MCAT. We considered moving, but we both have friends, my husband has some family here, and our alma matter is here... plus we are both gainfully employed in this state. We have considered moving definitely, especially after totally falling in love with Texas and especially San Antonio (we went to Amarillo, Dallas and Houston, too). Anyway, long story short, in the long run we'll move to San Antonio, but this year when I apply, I will not be a TX resident.

I see that chances of getting into a TX school being OOS are slim to none. For those of you who are OOS who are still following this thread and have applied to many TX schools, did you feel like it was a lot more difficult to compete as an OOS? Do you think having strong family ties helps? (my parents and my brother who will also be applying this year as in-state are all TX residents, I also have a house in my name in TX, where I do not currently reside<-long story). I think UTHSCSA doesn't have a secondary essay, where should I state that I will live in Texas regardless and that I can't just move there right away due to job/financial situation, but will indefinitely? (And do you think stating this will help?)

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I'm so jealous of all of you in-state people. TX is an awesome place.

ps: stats overall 3.7 from 2nd Bachelors (not post bac), 3.4 from 1st Bachelors, haven't calculated my science gpa, but assuming around 3.0-ish. No MCAT yet (that's a big one, I know), but hoping for at least a 30 (who isn't right?). 5+ years of basic research, publications, presentations, funded grant as first author, clinical experience for 1+ years as a nurse (current job). Volunteering/EC while in school for various organizations (both clinical and non-clinical), but currently chose to work part time and totally focus on the MCAT - I spend more time with it than my husband. :( So nothing major or spectacular or outstanding I guess.

Last edited:
I feel you on that one! I'm hoping and praying for good news!

my bf got into hopkins and ucsf out of state, but he's instate for here, and didnt even get an interview... texas is full of blatant homophobes, i guess u can be out on amcas, but not on tmdsas, sad

1. I've personally known two colleagues one with a 3.9 GPA and 35 MCAT, and another with a 4.0 GPA and a 32 MCAT that were accepted everywhere they applied in Texas but did not even get an interview at UT - San Antonio. They are a picky school.

2. Did you consider that they would essentially be wasting an interview spot for your boyfriend? With acceptances to some of the top med schools in the country, I would assume he has incredible numbers and ECs. Why would UT - San Antonio waste an interview spot on such an elite applicant who would most likely not go there?

1. I've personally known two colleagues one with a 3.9 GPA and 35 MCAT, and another with a 4.0 GPA and a 32 MCAT that were accepted everywhere they applied in Texas but did not even get an interview at UT - San Antonio. They are a picky school.

2. Did you consider that they would essentially be wasting an interview spot for your boyfriend? With acceptances to some of the top med schools in the country, I would assume he has incredible numbers and ECs. Why would UT - San Antonio waste an interview spot on such an elite applicant who would most likely not go there?

Agreed completely. :thumbup:

I think UTHSCSA doesn't have a secondary essay, where should I state that I will live in Texas regardless and that I can't just move there right away due to job/financial situation, but will indefinitely? (And do you think stating this will help?)

You can write a Letter of Interest to the admissions office. They will add it to your file for when you are reviewed. Additionally, I would strongly suggest that you direct a similar e-mail stating all of these things to Dr. Jones. He reads the updates e-mailed in from applicants.

I actually did this and I think my letter of interest that I e-mailed both to the admissions committee and the more personalized e-mail that I directed to Dr. Jones was one of the determining factors in why I received an interview at UTHSCSA. It gave me another opportunity to get my name out to the school and provide more information as to why I would fit there--you have way more reasons that I do to be in San Antonio--and I think they will see that through your letter if you choose to write one.

And you are right about the MCAT--for OOS, go for 30 and up!!! Best of luck!!:xf:

I would also like to add that during the last application cycle I emailed Dr. Jones to ask if an LOI would help my case for an interview. He wrote me back to send him any updates directly, and a week later I received a call from his secretary for an interview. If you feel like you can express something about yourself that cannot be covered in the TMDSAS application ask someone!

anyone have the 2010 (or 2009) residency match list?

I still haven't received a rejection letter in the mail! I'm just going to assume that I'm rejected lol.

What would a letter of interest consist of? If I remember correctly, wasn't the final essay a place where you could state unique things about yourself or anything extra that didn't go in the first 2 essays?

just withdrew my acceptance...i held onto it longer than expected because i had to work out some logistics with family/moving. i'm OOS and i hope someone here gets the spot :) good luck!

just withdrew my acceptance...i held onto it longer than expected because i had to work out some logistics with family/moving. i'm OOS and i hope someone here gets the spot :) good luck!

Here's hoping for waitlist movement! Good luck on your plans yasminc! Where did u decide to go??

Here's hoping for waitlist movement! Good luck on your plans yasminc! Where did u decide to go??

thanks so much!!! i'm off to UC san diego! tough decision because i grew up in san antonio and my family still lives there...but i went to undergrad and grad school in california and i absolutely adore san diego and UCSD.

i have my fingers crossed for you! :) :)

Heres to hoping for the waitlist to start moving this week!!! :thumbup:

Just got an acceptance email this morning!!! I'm excited beyond words!

Good Luck to everyone else. Dr. Jones did say that they had a lot of alternate pool movement this week, and that next week they expect a lot of movement as well.

Just got an acceptance email this morning!!! I'm excited beyond words!

Good Luck to everyone else. Dr. Jones did say that they had a lot of alternate pool movement this week, and that next week they expect a lot of movement as well.

Congrats :) would love to hear some great news too ;)

Congrats!!! That's awesome! Keeping my fingers crossed too!

Status
Not open for further replies.