2009-2010 University of Texas San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone... just wanted to let you guys know that I have been selected from the Southwestern waiting list and I will be withdrawing my position from the 2014 class so someone in the waiting list at UTHSCSA will have also good news in the near future. In case anyone is interested, i will also be giving up the apartment that I was suppose to move into at San Antonio so that opens up an oportunity for someone who hasnt found an apartment yet. The apartment complex is called SA Station Apartments and its right across the street from the Medical School (2 minute walk to class). Its a one bedroom for about $570 a month. If anyone wants to secure it before I give it up let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Yesterday I sent Dr. Jones an e-mail asking for any current updates about the status of the waitlist. He responded this morning saying "We are seeing some movement in the alternate pool."
:( absolutely not a clue whether that's a good sign, a bad sign, or absolutely neutral...

Just got an acceptance email this morning!!! I'm excited beyond words!

Good Luck to everyone else. Dr. Jones did say that they had a lot of alternate pool movement this week, and that next week they expect a lot of movement as well.

jkhullabaloo, do you mind me asking if they emailed you/sent you a letter or if you got a call? I'm wondering how they contact waitlisted applicants as it gets closer and closer to classes starting...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
jkhullabaloo, do you mind me asking if they emailed you/sent you a letter or if you got a call? I'm wondering how they contact waitlisted applicants as it gets closer and closer to classes starting...

Thanks!

I got an email from Dr. Jones. It said to respond to the email with my intent, if I accepted, a formal letter of acceptance would be mailed to me. I immediately sent my reply, and Dr. Jones replied back and said he would send out my packet that day (Friday).

Thank you! And Congratulations! Very, very exciting news.

hope i'm not sounding too neurotic... has anyone tried calling the admissions office lately about waitlist movement??

No, but the word is that there's movement. which is vague, and general, but probably all the detail they're going to give at this point. I believe that the deadline for most AAMC accepted applicants to decide was May 15th, which is why movement has started to pick up as Texas residents move to OOS schools, and those schools start shifting and picking from their waitlist.

The waiting game is awful! I only applied here this year, having to go the OOS route, so i'm concentraiting on getting my 2011 application in as a Texas Resident just in case.
Hang in there!

So far as I understand, there were 3 spots open. A girl left for UC San Diego, and two guys left for UTSouthwestern. Jkhullabaloo received one of these spots on May 21st, a Friday, which seems to be the day UTHSCSA notifies. So there's two spots still open? Just wondering if anyone has any info to add to this or knows anyone else who has gotten in off the waitlist.

Last edited:
So far as I understand, there were 3 spots open. A girl left for UC San Diego, and two guys left for UTSouthwestern. Jkhullabaloo received one of these spots on May 21st, a Friday, which seems to be the day UTHSCSA notifies. So there's two spots still open? Just wondering if anyone has any info to add to this or knows anyone else who has gotten in off the waitlist.

lol we both have been keeping a close eye on this... so i know that those 3 spots opened up so there's AT LEAST 3 spots that still need to be filled, and I have also seen quite a few people that got accepted here but are still waiting on texas and non-texas school waitlists... but besides that, no new news... i'm still here going crazy, anxiously waiting a lucky call while trying to focus on reapplying...

lol we both have been keeping a close eye on this... so i know that those 3 spots opened up so there's AT LEAST 3 spots that still need to be filled, and I have also seen quite a few people that got accepted here but are still waiting on texas and non-texas school waitlists... but besides that, no new news... i'm still here going crazy, anxiously waiting a lucky call while trying to focus on reapplying...

So does anyone know if the June 15th deadline is set in stone? If you're accepted to one Texas school but waitlisted at another, will you automatically be dropped from that waitlist on June 15th?

So does anyone know if the June 15th deadline is set in stone? If you're accepted to one Texas school but waitlisted at another, will you automatically be dropped from that waitlist on June 15th?

i think it is strict. if not, it should be strict. there are people with zero acceptances.

I disagree, just because they have zero acceptances does NOT mean they "should" get into a med school over somebody more qualified who has an acceptance to another school that they ranked lower in the match.

I believe the person who is more qualified should get the spot and the less qualified applicant should either get the spot at the other school or re-apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree, just because they have zero acceptances does NOT mean they "should" get into a med school over somebody more qualified who has an acceptance to another school that they ranked lower in the match.

I believe the person who is more qualified should get the spot and the less qualified applicant should either get the spot at the other school or re-apply.

yeah i agree with you that all medical school spots should go to the most qualified applicants, no exceptions. im just speaking personally, i have no acceptances. i hope everyone who has an acceptance gets into the school they want most. but i also hope i get in too :xf:

Last edited:
Didn't mean to sound callous <3. I just have a friend who is currently waitlisted at UTSW with an acceptance to another school. If somebody less qualified than him was accepted over him I think he would find that upsetting.

Good luck helicase! There's still plenty of time for those waitlists to move!

Didn't mean to sound callous <3. I just have a friend who is currently waitlisted at UTSW with an acceptance to another school. If somebody less qualified than him was accepted over him I think he would find that upsetting.

Good luck helicase! There's still plenty of time for those waitlists to move!

thanks mrfuumanchu. i wish your friend the very best. where is he holding his other spot? im on the WL for a&m and utsw.

Ok, so I asked the same question in the Texas schools thread. Someone responded with a tmdsas site link. Due to an agreement made between every medschool in Texas, no school in Texas is allowed to accept a student holding an acceptance at another Texas school after June 15th.

The reason I even asked the question was because the May 15th deadline of AMCAS schools is more or less an honor system than a concrete rule. So I simply needed to know if on June 15th if I needed to tell the school to take me off the waitlist, but now I know they'll handle that for me.

Good luck Helicase.

I just got an offer for UTHSCSA and I'm currently accepted to UTMB. Choices, choices... Anyone have a link for the UTHSCSA residency match list with the schools listed?

I just got an offer for UTHSCSA and I'm currently accepted to UTMB. Choices, choices... Anyone have a link for the UTHSCSA residency match list with the schools listed?

Congrats!! For very selfish reasons, I hope you don't take the offer:) Either way, please post your decision. I don't have a link but from what I remember it looked like a large amount stayed in texas and a fair chunk of the Texas group was south Texas including San Antonio. Also, a fair amount of military residencies due to the nearby military hospitals.

Last edited:
Here is the link to the Match Day results:

http://som.uthscsa.edu/AcademicAffairs/matchday.asp

For those hoping to hear from San Antonio, I know a girl who was going to SA that just got off the waitlist at Houston & she is going to go to Houston, so they will be releasing her spot at some point. Best of luck. :luck:

Thanks for the updates guys! I hope I'm next to hear good news!! Ahh so anxious!!

Just wanted everyone to know I received an email from Dr. Jones this morning offering me admission, and I will be taking it. The good news for everyone else is that the waitlist is still moving!

Just wanted everyone to know I received an email from Dr. Jones this morning offering me admission, and I will be taking it. The good news for everyone else is that the waitlist is still moving!

Congrats!! Now for the questions! Were u IS or OOS? Were u holding an acceptance to any other school? And what were ur mcat/gpa? Feel free to msg me in private? Any info u can lend will help me get through this final week before the 15th.

Congrats!! That's great news! :)

Congrats!! That's awesome :)

Last edited:
Congrats!! For very selfish reasons, I hope you don't take the offer:) Either way, please post your decision. I don't have a link but from what I remember it looked like a large amount stayed in texas and a fair chunk of the Texas group was south Texas including San Antonio. Also, a fair amount of military residencies due to the nearby military hospitals.

As requested, I am posting my decision to accept the offer from UTHSCSA and decline UTMB.

To let everyone know, my friend got in off the waitlist this afternoon. IS.

To let everyone know, my friend got in off the waitlist this afternoon. IS.

Do u mind me asking, is your friend a boy or a girl? I feel like everyone who's gotten in off the waitlist has been guys so far...

I just got an email from Dr. Jones. I'm in state. Female:) on so many waitlists, but First acceptance.... !

I just got an email from Dr. Jones. I'm in state. Female:) on so many waitlists, but First acceptance.... !

congrats! i'm hoping i get to hear something too! did you send any type of update letters or contact the admissions office at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.