2009-2010 University of Texas San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Dr Jones say they are mostly match?

I distinctly remember him saying something like 40 seats or so for the match.

Members don't see this ad.

He said 70 at my 11/16 interview. 69 left after I hopefully fill one.

70 is the number I recall as well, and I don't think this includes the people that turn down their offer for other schools. good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we will get a rejection letter on Feb 1st if not matched or would it be just a no response??

Didn't Dr Jones say they are mostly match?

Well the open spots have to be filled by the match by now because the prematch offers ended Dec 31st. Now I have no idea how many seats are open, I just know that there are some open seats. I would imagine the school by now has an idea of the number of open seats.

Does anyone know if we will get a rejection letter on Feb 1st if not matched or would it be just a no response??

from last years experience

if you are not matched anywhere it will say something like did not match
you will not get a a rejection letter bc you still might get in through the wait list

good luck to everyone waiting for the match February 1st!!!

Bump... In preparation of the excitement ensuing on Monday.

Good Luck Everyone!!

I have to admit, I feel a little sick too. Whew, well get through this though

How can people find out if they're waitlisted? Is there an official notice or do we just assume that we're all on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
How can people find out if they're waitlisted? Is there an official notice or do we just assume that we're all on the waitlist?

everyone is auto-waitlisted to whatever school was ranked higher. then the admissions generally reviews all candidates for any openings. (so i hear)

Thats too bad I really thought I would hear today... Anyone get good news?

I matched to San Antonio today... and another girl I know also matched there as well. Sorry... I had posted about matching on the SA - Class of 2014 thread.....

Looks like it'll be another round of MCAT and apps again lol

Looks like it'll be another round of MCAT and apps again lol

It totally will pay off. I applied last year with a 25P MCAT and 3.9 cGPA. 1 interview at UTH, 0 acceptances. I applied in like June/July.

I retook the MCAT (29R), increased volunteering, shadowing, but my GPA actually went down to 3.87 (nothing substantial, but I think my sGPA (current: 3.74) dropped more... stupid C in OchemII and B in Neuro), etc.

I applied this year way late (I graduated, got married, honeymoon and moved across Texas in the 3 months of optimal summer submission time... not good excuses, but that's what went down either way) so my app wasn't transmitted until mid October :rolleyes:... And interviewed at UTMB, Tech-Lubbock, A&M in Nov/Dec...

And got accepted to my first choice, UTMB, yesterday!

Reapping is not fun, but sticking with it cuz it pays off... Do expect to be asked about what you improved next year if you don't get in off a waitlist! :luck:

Good luck!!!

It totally will pay off. I applied last year with a 25P MCAT and 3.9 cGPA. 1 interview at UTH, 0 acceptances. I applied in like June/July.

I retook the MCAT (29R), increased volunteering, shadowing, but my GPA actually went down to 3.87 (nothing substantial, but I think my sGPA (current: 3.74) dropped more... stupid C in OchemII and B in Neuro), etc.

I applied this year way late (I graduated, got married, honeymoon and moved across Texas in the 3 months of optimal summer submission time... not good excuses, but that's what went down either way) so my app wasn't transmitted until mid October :rolleyes:... And interviewed at UTMB, Tech-Lubbock, A&M in Nov/Dec...

And got accepted to my first choice, UTMB, yesterday!

Reapping is not fun, but sticking with it cuz it pays off... Do expect to be asked about what you improved next year if you don't get in off a waitlist! :luck:

Good luck!!!

Thank you! You give me hope lol! So what exactly did you do to increase your MCAT? Prep course? Different study method?

I didn't match either and am on waitlist :/ Recently (5 days before the match) I sent them my first research publication, hopefully it helps. If not I guess I will have to reapply and take MCAT again.. I also scored 25.

So, I have a few questions for anyone who might know!

When do classes begin for us?
Is there anything for accepted students in the Spring? (not sure if schools do that... but just thought I would ask!)
Are there a bunch of nice places to live near campus?
Is there a roommate match in case we are interested in living with a roommate?
Anyone know when they are planning to move to San Antonio?

Thanks in advance for any help!

So, I have a few questions for anyone who might know!

When do classes begin for us?
Is there anything for accepted students in the Spring? (not sure if schools do that... but just thought I would ask!)
Are there a bunch of nice places to live near campus?
Is there a roommate match in case we are interested in living with a roommate?
Anyone know when they are planning to move to San Antonio?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I can help on a few of the items that I have some information on, but by know means is this absolute.

On UTHSCSA's website it gives the tentative start date for the start of class as August 2nd. I don't believe that this date will change. Since the White Coat Ceremony is on July 25th, that leaves the week of the 26th for orientation, with classes beginning the following Monday, August 2nd (this is how previous years have been, according to a friend of mine).

As for us, accepted students, there is supposedly a Welcome Weekend sometime in April, but I am sure we will gain more information on this in the future.

I have been wondering about the living situation myself, it is hard to maneuver on the internet, when apartment hunting.

I'm not sure about the roommate match and I will be moving in mid-June.

I hope this helps.

I'm curious as to why my signature did not show up, I am proud of that thing, after all of the hard work.

There we go.

Thank you! You give me hope lol! So what exactly did you do to increase your MCAT? Prep course? Different study method?

I didn't match either and am on waitlist :/ Recently (5 days before the match) I sent them my first research publication, hopefully it helps. If not I guess I will have to reapply and take MCAT again.. I also scored 25.

I think a couple things made the difference in my score:

1) The first time I took the MCAT I did not study nearly enough. I'd found out I had mono a couple weeks before my intended 6-8 week study period, and had mono the entire time I was studying and when I took the MCAT. I can't tell you how many times I fell asleep straight up ON my study guides... :laugh: Mono really wipes you out... So, I wasn't studying or performing anywhere near peak, and so I probably only actually studied a couple weeks all in total. And by the time I got my scores, taking it again wasn't an option that was going to help, as it was too late in the cycle.

2) I hadn't taken ochem II, or many upper level bio courses by the end of my junior year. By the end of senior year when I took it again, I'd taken physio, immuno, virology, neuro, developmental bio, etc. That helped a bunch, I'm sure.

3) I used ExamKrackers the first time and had only taken like 2 practice tests because staying away for more than a couple hours at a time was hard with Mono. The second time I paid the $2000 for the Kaplan online course. However because of all the crap I did the summer I took the MCAT, I only took a few more practice tests and only got 1/3 of the way through the material... (Though, I could care less now because I got in so I'm not crying over not fully making use of the $2000). Honestly, if I'd had to reapp and MCAT again, I'd have studied much better than either of those times...

Where'd you interview at? Best wishes for the waitlist!! Even if you have to reapp, just do as much to make yourself better as you can... Now, I'm not saying volunteer 20 hours a week at 20 places... but pick up a longterm volunteer gig to do once a week, shadow a couple docs in a variety of fields for a few hours each, maybe try to do something medically hands on, like on a medical mission trip thing or at a free clinic? Just a bit of everything in a situation that you love so you can talk about it passionately :)

Feel free to message me here or PM me with any other questions!:)

did anybody hear about the alternate list yet from uthscsa?

Nope - I'm waiting to hear about alternate list as well. If anyone hears, please post to let us all know!

Congrats to those that got in :)

If you're on the waitlist you'll get a letter sometime in the next few weeks, (I think...I can't remember the exact date I got mine). Actually I'm pretty sure we all posted stuff when we got waitlist letters last year if someone is really curious and wants to go dig through the old Republic of Texas threads. :)

As to some of those questions:
Aug 2 sounds about right, we started Aug 3.

There will be a Welcome Weekend in April, you'll get more info on that later.

There are a ton of places around the school to live...some nice, some not so nice. During welcome weekend they will do a "parade of homes" type thing so you can get a better idea of apartments around the med center. When I was looking for places I basically just googled "san antonio apartments" and then scrolled over near the med center (it's a giant pink box looking thing on google maps). Also I know quite a few people who used an apartment locator.

I don't think there is a formal roommate match but someone said that if you want a roommate and don't have one you can wear a sticker at welcome weekend or something??? I didn't go to it so I'm not 100% sure about that one.

I don't check this thread that often but if someone has more questions feel free to PM me, I'll try and help as best I can!

I think a couple things made the difference in my score:

1) The first time I took the MCAT I did not study nearly enough. I'd found out I had mono a couple weeks before my intended 6-8 week study period, and had mono the entire time I was studying and when I took the MCAT. I can't tell you how many times I fell asleep straight up ON my study guides... :laugh: Mono really wipes you out... So, I wasn't studying or performing anywhere near peak, and so I probably only actually studied a couple weeks all in total. And by the time I got my scores, taking it again wasn't an option that was going to help, as it was too late in the cycle.

2) I hadn't taken ochem II, or many upper level bio courses by the end of my junior year. By the end of senior year when I took it again, I'd taken physio, immuno, virology, neuro, developmental bio, etc. That helped a bunch, I'm sure.

3) I used ExamKrackers the first time and had only taken like 2 practice tests because staying away for more than a couple hours at a time was hard with Mono. The second time I paid the $2000 for the Kaplan online course. However because of all the crap I did the summer I took the MCAT, I only took a few more practice tests and only got 1/3 of the way through the material... (Though, I could care less now because I got in so I'm not crying over not fully making use of the $2000). Honestly, if I'd had to reapp and MCAT again, I'd have studied much better than either of those times...

Where'd you interview at? Best wishes for the waitlist!! Even if you have to reapp, just do as much to make yourself better as you can... Now, I'm not saying volunteer 20 hours a week at 20 places... but pick up a longterm volunteer gig to do once a week, shadow a couple docs in a variety of fields for a few hours each, maybe try to do something medically hands on, like on a medical mission trip thing or at a free clinic? Just a bit of everything in a situation that you love so you can talk about it passionately :)

Feel free to message me here or PM me with any other questions!:)

Congrats on your hard work and UTMB acceptance this cycle! You deserve it and are an inspiration for a lot of people here!

Congrats on your hard work and UTMB acceptance this cycle! You deserve it and are an inspiration for a lot of people here!

Wow, thanks! I just kinda feel like a regular ol' Joe, err.. Joanna :laugh: I only got one acceptance... you got bunches... I think that makes you the inspiring one :)

Either way, I'm flattered haha, but more than anything, just so happy to be accepted! Thanks DocMcCoy, you're one cool cat!:thumbup::thumbup:

This is probably an impossible question(s) to answer. How soon will I get a rejection or waitlist notification from UTSA? Essentially if I get in to UTSA, I have to continue taking my biochem class, which is effectively impairing my deployment to Haiti. But if there is a realistic chance of getting in, then I may forgo Haiti. I suppose I could CALL them, but I hate being THAT guy.
Thoughts?

This is probably an impossible question(s) to answer. How soon will I get a rejection or waitlist notification from UTSA? Essentially if I get in to UTSA, I have to continue taking my biochem class, which is effectively impairing my deployment to Haiti. But if there is a realistic chance of getting in, then I may forgo Haiti. I suppose I could CALL them, but I hate being THAT guy.
Thoughts?

Wow--are you going to help with the relief efforts? If so--I think that is a GREAT reason to call & inquire about your status... I feel like that is an extenuating circumstance that warrants knowing where you stand... Whatever you decide--best of luck!

Thoughts?

Let me clarify one thing...

UTSA is completely different from UTHSCSA. UTHSCSA is were you applied NOT UTSA. I know it sounds like a minor thing, but once you get down here you realize that it's not. These are two completely different schools with different campuses and staff. If you call to talk to someone, make sure you mention the right university. It would be really embarrassing if you didn't.

It's a common mistake, one that I made at first too.

Wow--are you going to help with the relief efforts? If so--I think that is a GREAT reason to call & inquire about your status... I feel like that is an extenuating circumstance that warrants knowing where you stand... Whatever you decide--best of luck!
I will email Dr Jones. Thanks

Hi cheesemonkeys, any word on what they plan to do with the waitlist?

I just heard about my waitlist status, in case anyone is wondering when they go out

MDTobe - Hey I was wondering, did you hear via Mail or did you call the school? and Does anyone know if there is actually movement on the waitlist for OOS????

I heard via e-mail at 4 pm today...

"Our entering class of 2010 is already filled, and unfortunately it was not possible for us to offer you an acceptance to our school. However, between now and registration (scheduled for July 26, 2010), we expect that several spaces will become available as some of our accepted applicants withdraw to pursue other plans. Unless you ask us to do otherwise, your name will be in our alternate pool, and we shall be in touch with you if a space becomes available for you. Meanwhile if you retake the MCAT and your score improves, please inform me ([email protected]) once received."

I don't know about OOS, sorry :confused:

"Our entering class of 2010 is already filled, and unfortunately it was not possible for us to offer you an acceptance to our school. However, between now and registration (scheduled for July 26, 2010), we expect that several spaces will become available as some of our accepted applicants withdraw to pursue other plans. Unless you ask us to do otherwise, your name will be in our alternate pool, and we shall be in touch with you if a space becomes available for you. Meanwhile if you retake the MCAT and your score improves, please inform me ([email protected]) once received."

I'm Out of State and received that same email about an hour ago. I heard every OOS that receives an interview is waitlisted since it's a small pool. I'm hoping spots open up once AAMC acceptances start rolling in.

i got the same e-mail today and i'm in state. does anybody know if this is an automated thing or if this means i am on the waitlist?

i got the same e-mail today and i'm in state. does anybody know if this is an automated thing or if this means i am on the waitlist?

I'm in state and did not get the email, which means it's actually a legit waitlist.

i did not get the email either. thats not a good sign...

Just out of curiosity, it seems like this line implies that you're allowed to retake the MCAT to improve your application. Has anybody ever done this before in attempt to get off a waitlist?

Just out of curiosity, it seems like this line implies that you're allowed to retake the MCAT to improve your application. Has anybody ever done this before in attempt to get off a waitlist?

ya i was really surprised to hear that too! i'm already registered and studying to retake the MCAT may 21 in preparation for reapplying, but would definitely consider moving it sooner if it would help... are you kind of in the same boat?

I'm in state and got this email also. Unless I heard from them immediately I don't think I could accept an offer because I still would have to take biochem and my window to register for a summer biochem is closing fast. Too bad since this was my first choice...

ya i was really surprised to hear that too! i'm already registered and studying to retake the MCAT may 21 in preparation for reapplying, but would definitely consider moving it sooner if it would help... are you kind of in the same boat?

No actually I'm not in the same boat, since I've been accepted elsewhere and didn't get onto San Antonio's waitlist. I just thought it was a weird concept, but I guess it must be tailored to those who are planning on reapplying anyways and already have MCATs scheduled..

To all that received this waitlist/rejection letter:

"Our entering class of 2010 is already filled, and unfortunately it was not possible for us to offer you an acceptance to our school. However, between now and registration (scheduled for July 26, 2010), we expect that several spaces will become available as some of our accepted applicants withdraw to pursue other plans. Unless you ask us to do otherwise, your name will be in our alternate pool, and we shall be in touch with you if a space becomes available for you. Meanwhile if you retake the MCAT and your score improves, please inform me...

what were your MCAT scores if you don't mind me asking? Just trying to gauge where the cut-off was.

Also, I interviewed early but haven't heard a peep from anyone, no acceptance, rejection, wait-list deferral, nada...

Is anyone else in the same boat? what does that mean if we haven't heard anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.