You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 University of Virginia Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I just got one too! 😀 Complete on 7/14.
When is everyone's interview? Mine's 9/22.
Mine is Sept. 1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So who else is pretty pumped about UVA?
I didn't know terribly much about the school when applying, but I've talked to a few people at the med school where I work and read some old threads here, and it seems like not only a very good school, but also a very enjoyable place to spend four years.
I didn't know terribly much about the school when applying, but I've talked to a few people at the med school where I work and read some old threads here, and it seems like not only a very good school, but also a very enjoyable place to spend four years.
I'm very happy that I got invited to interview, and I can't wait for it. I can assure you, it is a great place to spend 4 years. There's a lot of good things going on at the school nowadays, and I'm sure you'll be impressed when you go to your interview.So who else is pretty pumped about UVA?
I didn't know terribly much about the school when applying, but I've talked to a few people at the med school where I work and read some old threads here, and it seems like not only a very good school, but also a very enjoyable place to spend four years.
Just came across this fyi:
2008 USMLE Step 1 results
http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/handbook/pdf/usmle1-08.pdf
Just to give an idea of the improvement, 2007 average was 226!
2008 USMLE Step 1 results
http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/handbook/pdf/usmle1-08.pdf
Just to give an idea of the improvement, 2007 average was 226!
I just bought my first plane ticket for my interview. I bought it one way because I'm going to spend some time with my friend at USUHS before I come home. Yay!
Just came across this fyi:
2008 USMLE Step 1 results
http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/handbook/pdf/usmle1-08.pdf
Just to give an idea of the improvement, 2007 average was 226!
Honestly, I would imagine that fluctuates significantly from year to year.
Honestly, I would imagine that fluctuates significantly from year to year.
Not really, they've been constant for the last few years and 2008 was a big jump...that's why I noted it.
http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/handbook/academics/licensure.cfm#results
How are you guys getting from Richmond to Charlottesville? I can't find any cheap ways of getting there, aside from renting a car, I guess.
Are you not flying into Charlottesville?
Not really, they've been constant for the last few years and 2008 was a big jump...that's why I noted it.
http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/handbook/academics/licensure.cfm#results
Random outlier? My point is that the average probably has a lot to do with the students and not so much with something the school did differently.
How are you guys getting from Richmond to Charlottesville? I can't find any cheap ways of getting there, aside from renting a car, I guess.
I'm flying into Charlottesville, then taking a bus up to Washington and staying with a friend the night after the interview and flying out of Dulles the next afternoon. I live across the country, so it was a pain to try to find an early enough flight into Charlottesville, but I was even considering at one point just flying into Dulles and taking a Greyhound bus (at $12 if you buy 21 days in advance) from DC to Charlottesville. If you arrive early enough in the day, that might be something to consider.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats you all with invites! as an IS student, i was worried for a bit, but now I think they have only given out interview invites to OOS kids. So I am happy again! 🙂 Maybe they will start doing IS invites next week. Anyways, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
congrats you all with invites! as an IS student, i was worried for a bit, but now I think they have only given out interview invites to OOS kids. So I am happy again! 🙂 Maybe they will start doing IS invites next week. Anyways, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Hate to burst your bubble, but....
Hate to burst your bubble, but....
LMAO! If you really hated to do it, then why did you do it?! lol
anyways, you can't get me down bryson!!! My ignorance will reduce my stress for at least another week or so. Anyways, you prolly live in WEST virginia and are just confused 🙂
for real though, thanks for letting me know
anybody get any good deals on airfare? the best i see for NYC to CHO is $301 roundtrip. is this good or can i find better?
Try looking through Kayak, though that's probably the best you'll find. I got a flight from Denver to CHO one-way for about $140. Not particularly looking forward to driving to Denver that morning though.
anybody get any good deals on airfare? the best i see for NYC to CHO is $301 roundtrip. is this good or can i find better?
yea use kayak. airfare is mostly dependent on when you order the ticket (the earlier the better) so i would just order the tix now if interview is in early september.
are you one of those nyc kids that has never been outside of ny 🙂? you can easily drive to VA for cheap if you have a license + car
i'd recommend bookingbuddy.com
also, if you end up booking through expedia or priceline, you can get cash back (maybe 5-10 bucks extra off) from sites like ebates.com or fatwallet.com
also, if you end up booking through expedia or priceline, you can get cash back (maybe 5-10 bucks extra off) from sites like ebates.com or fatwallet.com
Has anyone who has emailed the student hosting program coordinator heard back yet?
Nope
Has anyone who has emailed the student hosting program coordinator heard back yet?
No, I responded to the email last week, no word back.
me too! finally
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else interviewing on 8/31 (three weeks from today 😱)?
Has anyone who has emailed the student hosting program coordinator heard back yet?
I got an e-mail last night from the M2 coordinator telling me who my host was, and also that my host was out of town this week, so I shouldn't expect to hear from her til next week.
Interviewing on 9/29 🙂
Anyone else?
seems like they only interview on tuesdays....
Quick glance of the dates people have posted in this thread, seems like everyday of the week except Friday.seems like they only interview on tuesdays....
Interviewing on 9/29 🙂
Anyone else?
I love that day, but I don't want to interview on it 🙂 Congrats 🙂
seems like they only interview on tuesdays....
No, I was initially offered a Thursday interview, and rescheduled to a Wednesday.
It looks like they sent out a batch of interviews today, both me and my friend got one and we both go to uva undergrad. UVA is a great place to be and I would be really happy if I went here for med school. I have a few friends in UVASOM and they all love it. Good luck guys I hope you all do well at your interviews.
It looks like they sent out a batch of interviews today, both me and my friend got one and we both go to uva undergrad. UVA is a great place to be and I would be really happy if I went here for med school. I have a few friends in UVASOM and they all love it. Good luck guys I hope you all do well at your interviews.
thanks for the great post medslacker!!!!!
Woohoo! I finally got my AMCAS verified and got a secondary from UVA the same day!
I actually have no clue how they organize the housing (they haven't asked M1s to volunteer yet for it), but I'm willing to help a few off you guys out if you need it. I live with another M1 just a five minute walk from the hospital, which is where you interview at. Of course I can't give you a whole run down on what it's like first year, but it's a free place to stay! Keep in mind that I can't host too many people, so contact me as soon as you can if you don't get matched through the hosting program.
Quick glance of the dates people have posted in this thread, seems like everyday of the week except Friday.
Yeah, just got mine tonight! 10/7 is my date
Hello, everyone. I know this is kind of late, but does anyone still have access to the Secondary application. I accidentally deleted my email from UVA 🙁. I would truly appreciate it if you can forward me a copy just so I can get my secondary in. Thanks in advance!
You can reach me at [email protected]
You can reach me at [email protected]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm so excited about UVA, probably my top OOS public school! 🙂
I was complete on 8/4 but haven't heard a peep. Anyone else complete around that date got any news?
I was complete on 8/4 but haven't heard a peep. Anyone else complete around that date got any news?
Can anyone tell me what is unique about UVa? Their website seems to stress their innovative curriculum, but I know a lot of schools integrate patient interaction into the first two years. I may be interested in primary care, so is UVa a good school for that?
Thanks
Thanks
This is the big news at UVa now.Can anyone tell me what is unique about UVa? Their website seems to stress their innovative curriculum, but I know a lot of schools integrate patient interaction into the first two years. I may be interested in primary care, so is UVa a good school for that?
Thanks
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/development/Support/buildings_medicine.cfm
New curriculum, new building, new facilities. All starting fall 2010.
I'm so excited about UVA, probably my top OOS public school! 🙂
I was complete on 8/4 but haven't heard a peep. Anyone else complete around that date got any news?
Here I am same as you are, anyone knows if any UVA website we could check our application status.....?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K