2010-2011 Boston University Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ugh stupid mobile sdn. i thought my first post didnt go through but it did. slow internet + mobile sdn does not mix well. Thx guju.
 
you don't have to shove it in our faces by saying it twice ed

just kidding dude 🙂 congrats!!

😛 Lol I was thinking crap, everybody will think I'm some narcissistic jerk who just had to post twice. Although, with an interview in february, I'm not sure how great my chances are. I was looking online at the viewbook and 1st round interviews go from beginning of oct to end of dec while the 2nd round go from beg of jan to end of feb so theres still hope people. :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There was once a legend that Boston sent interviews out at the 60 day mark. I once believed that legend. Then, a new story mentioned 70 days, and again, I believed. I was silly and juvenile then. Now, I have come up with a precise formula (involving the moon, the temperature and complex calculus) which I believe proves conclusively that I will hear back at the 100 day mark. You are all free to praise my brilliance.
 
There was once a legend that Boston sent interviews out at the 60 day mark. I once believed that legend. Then, a new story mentioned 70 days, and again, I believed. I was silly and juvenile then. Now, I have come up with a precise formula (involving the moon, the temperature and complex calculus) which I believe proves conclusively that I will hear back at the 100 day mark. You are all free to praise my brilliance.

haha.. i hope you are right cause I am on day 96 😛
 
So I have an MD/PhD interview in late Jan/early Feb. Haven't chosen yet. Do they not provide any accomodations/help with flight costs?? My other MD/PhDs have, but they were NIH funded MSTP programs.

Does anyone have any feedback?
 
So I have an MD/PhD interview in late Jan/early Feb. Haven't chosen yet. Do they not provide any accomodations/help with flight costs?? My other MD/PhDs have, but they were NIH funded MSTP programs.

Does anyone have any feedback?

They provide a hosting service with current students, but I'm not sure about the flight costs part of your question. I drove up to BU, so that wasn't an issue for me.
 
They provide a hosting service with current students, but I'm not sure about the flight costs part of your question. I drove up to BU, so that wasn't an issue for me.

Be warned I think their hosting service is fairly popular, so if you want a student host contact them as early as you can after you get an interview. I didn't contact them until 3 weeks before my interview and couldn't get a host
 
I can't emphasize enough how much I love this school. We just have to wait one more month before our interviewers call us and decision letters are sent out.
 
GujuDoc you've been nothing but supportive and a great help to a lot of us on this forum, so thanks.🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GujuDoc you've been nothing but supportive and a great help to a lot of us on this forum, so thanks.🙂

+1. Thank you gujudoc. You have been so supportive and helpful. It's such a stressful process and having people like you definitely makes it more bearable.
 
Just received an email from BUSM asking me to confirm my contact information. Anyone else receive a similar message?
 
There are still invites left to give out. Trust me on that one. They interview people well into February. So hang in there.

This week is decision week. My friend told me today they have all the conference rooms locked with adcom members in them making decisions on the fall interviewees. I've heard 15th to 18th is when they will be doing this. So perhaps they are busy with things unless there are other members still there to give invites out the rest of the week. This is the last week plus maybe like Monday of next week before the break starts. So if you don't hear by this week there's a chance you will hear something by spring semester.

Do hang in there. This process is a process of patience.

On a side note. I heard today that the completion of one of the new auditoriums they tore the old dingy classrooms on the 2nd floor to build is completed.

it is supposed to be state of the art, long tables with plug outlets and comfy chair style auditoriums rather then like the older ones. I've heard they are going to do the same on the 3rd and 1st floor too eventually.

I see great things for BU's future and a strong change in their facilities becoming more up to date and state of the art like at newer med schools.

Their library already showed what they could do in terms of rennovations and they are slowly bringing that to the rest of the building.

By the time you guys and future people go there, it will be far improved from the year I was there. Even in the year i was there second semester library was wayyyyyyyyyy better then what some people have seen and that was only partial renovation at that time with plans still for the top and bottom floors of the library.

So just something of an FYI.


Good luck. I am praying for you guys that made it this far to the interview stage to get good news and for my friends waiting.

Thank you so much for the information. I interviewed in mid-October and really enjoyed my stay in Boston. However, I didn't interview too well. So, I am not counting on a Jan acceptance
 
they probably just want to make sure our rejection letter gets to the right place. i've been complete for a while now... but let's hope for the best

ouch...hopefully that is not the case 🙁 nearly leapt out of my seat when i saw that e-mail and then started thinking about what it meant...because contact information updates are never harmless right? ...right... 🙁
 
I interviewed November 1 and the Dean was pretty firm that our decisions will be released circa the first week of January. If so, this message seems fitting to come right about now as they want to make sure that the communications in January get to the right places. I wouldn't read too much into it.
 
I interviewed November 1 and the Dean was pretty firm that our decisions will be released circa the first week of January. If so, this message seems fitting to come right about now as they want to make sure that the communications in January get to the right places. I wouldn't read too much into it.

fair enough, it is amazing how much excitement can come out of an impersonal and automated e-mail lol

out of curiosity are invites/rejections given by e-mail or snail?
 
I interviewed November 1 and the Dean was pretty firm that our decisions will be released circa the first week of January. If so, this message seems fitting to come right about now as they want to make sure that the communications in January get to the right places. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Wait first week of january, not january 15th???
 
ouch...hopefully that is not the case 🙁 nearly leapt out of my seat when i saw that e-mail and then started thinking about what it meant...because contact information updates are never harmless right? ...right... 🙁


I got it too, but I have an interview next month (I was invited sometime in mid Nov.) Maybe there was some anomaly the webmasters found and they're just checking their system by asking the applicants. Whatever the case, good luck you guys.
 
they probably just want to make sure our rejection letter gets to the right place. i've been complete for a while now... but let's hope for the best

That's pretty pessimistic, although I guess I don't blame you since the application process can be a terrible experience. Anyway, I don't think it means anything (although I'm hoping it's a positive sign!). I got the email as well, and I interviewed there a month or so ago. Sounds like everyone received the email, pre-interview or post interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's pretty pessimistic, although I guess I don't blame you since the application process can be a terrible experience. Anyway, I don't think it means anything (although I'm hoping it's a positive sign!). I got the email as well, and I interviewed there a month or so ago. Sounds like everyone received the email, pre-interview or post interview.

Yep, I don't think BU or any medical school would leak their admissions decisions by any means.
 
Both of my friends told me today that they did who interviewed. And they told me in not so many words that it essentially gave them a near heart attack cuz they thought it was a rejection at first. lol

bwahahaha. But I think its just verification for interviewed people so that they get the letters whether rejection or acceptance to the right address. or if interviewers call that it is the right phone number.

So don't read too much into it. It is exactly what it is asking for. Just a verification of contact info.

Yeah I know it doesn't mean anything. Just thought I'd mention it.
 
Yeah just letting you know. 🙂. I think all interviewed candidates musta gotten it.

At first I thought that since I got this email too, and haven't been interviewed (and sounds like they send invites via email), that it might mean they are, in fact, making sure they know where to send the rejection letter. X-P

But more rationally, it's nearing the end of the academic term and it seems like these notifications all went out at once (and this hasn't happened before now with interviewees?), so they're probably just making sure that the address they have on file will still be your address after December.
 
i got it too.
they have to know where to send both acceptance and rejection letters, no need to be negative and assume its just for rejections.
 
Yeah I agree with you. well you may still get a spring interview. 🙂

And rejections to are often with BU via email. So I don't think they'd be like that for rejection. I think its acceptances that go via snail mail because its a full packet.

Hey gujuDoc, I have seen your posts in many of schools I applied to .. just wondering, how are you doing this cycle? Any schools made a strong impression on you?
 
Just got an interview invite for Jan 28!..complete 8/24...and I recently got the contact verification email so I thought I was done for here...glad to get the good news! 😀
 
Just got an interview invite for Jan 28!..complete 8/24...and I recently got the contact verification email so I thought I was done for here...glad to get the good news! 😀

That's good news. I was complete 9/28 and am feeling a little neglected after nearly 3 months with no invitation (or rejection).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wahooo... just got an interview invite! I was complete Sept 2nd.

The dates available were Wednesday Feb 2nd and Friday Feb 4th

🙂🙂🙂
 
Anyone else interview with Dr. Peggy Johnson? If so, how did it go?

Just curious, did everyone get an ethical question during your interview?
I heard it is a required element for your interview score.

However, I didn't get one. Hope that doesn't mean I was already evaluated as unfit for the school during the interview.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.