-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Boston University Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Now I have to choose between Tufts and BU which is not gonna be easy.
Couldn't disagree more. BUSM >>>> Tufts.
Congrats!👍👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Couldn't disagree more. BUSM >>>> Tufts.
Congrats!👍👍
Everyone is different, so some med schools simply match people more than others. BU happens to be one of my top choices, but I haven't been to Tufts so I can't compare it to that. Even still, I guarantee what I look for in a med school isn't the same thing you are looking for.
Congrats everyone!!! Way to make me totally spastic and anxious for the next few days 😀
Also, this is the only interview I have gotten, with 2 rejections. I applied to about 12 schools, so there is 9 I still havent heard anything from. Is anyone else in this same position?
Sorry about all the q's!
I'm in a very similar situation, with two interviews and two rejections, leaving 7 schools that I haven't heard anything from (including BU). Do you think it is realistic for me to hold out hope for an interview invite from BU in the future? I was complete 9/28.
Good luck to the SDN regulars aka
Kaushik, girlinthegarden, bulldog4eva, doctraveler, etc.
Congrats to those with calls. At least now the mystery is over.
Hope more people get belated christmas and new years presents from BU soon.
Keep your![]()
Thanks gujudoc,
I literally want to throw up because I haven't received a call
...my cortisol levels just shot threw the roof. Sitting...waiting...hoping

Thanks gujudoc,
I literally want to throw up because I haven't received a call...my cortisol levels just shot threw the roof.
Sitting...waiting...hoping![]()
Me too! 🙁
Duzenheim: I think the ETA for e-mails is next week.
Relax, it's just an opinion.
Everyone is different, so some med schools simply match people more than others. BU happens to be one of my top choices, but I haven't been to Tufts so I can't compare it to that. Even still, I guarantee what I look for in a med school isn't the same thing you are looking for.
Relax, it's just an opinion.
ACCEPTED!! Phone call from my interviewer; she said that acceptances went out in the mail this morning!!
Interviewed 11/4, IS
If this was a troll it would be the most successful troll EVER.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agreed. but if it is >>>> over tufts, then it is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UMass in my personal opinion.
In a vacuum, I'd agree. But UMass is def. a world-class institution that won't hold you back, and the price is right... I would've applied if they weren't so anti-OOS.
Just my opinion again, but it'd be tough for me to turn down a quality state acceptance to attend any private med school.
damn i'm nervous for you guys
Congrats! Did they mention thermals would go out? Also could you post your stats?
Thermals? i.e. Warm undergarments? She mentioned nothing about that lol. But that would be nice! Also no mention of an email going out, but she did say letters were sent out yesterday. Hope this helps. BTW I'm a 36MCAT ~3.8 GPA, 4.0 sGPA, non-science major, out of state.
Accepted yesterday!! Got a call from my interviewer 🙂
Accepted yesterday!! Got a call from my interviewer 🙂
Congrats!! 👍👍👍
Yeah so you pretty much got baller stats. lol. Oh and I'm guessing from the user name OOS but from NY so still NE USA and therefore somewhat regional. Maybe the Northeasterners hear first. LOL. but who knows. time will tell. Hope more people get calls today.
BTW who did you guys have as interviewers? curious if it is anyone my friends had as interviewers to know if their interviewer is one to call.
I live in Montana 🙂
accepted this morning.
And RE: UMass vs BU, while they're both good schools...UMass is $8,300 a year. One could go to UMass for 4 years for the price of roughly ONE SEMESTER at BU.
That being said it would still be a tough choice...but when you put it that way, it puts it into perspective.
And RE: UMass vs BU, while they're both good schools...UMass is $8,300 a year. One could go to UMass for 4 years for the price of roughly ONE SEMESTER at BU.
That being said it would still be a tough choice...but when you put it that way, it puts it into perspective.
Congrats to everyone with acceptances! If letters were mailed out yesterday and I live in Boston I will probably get something/nothing today...though I don't always trust the postal service 

accepted this morning.
And RE: UMass vs BU, while they're both good schools...UMass is $8,300 a year. One could go to UMass for 4 years for the price of roughly ONE SEMESTER at BU.
That being said it would still be a tough choice...but when you put it that way, it puts it into perspective.
This. I really enjoyed BU but in the long run, the financial aspect makes it a challenging decision. If there was no financial concern, the situation would be quite different. Especially, as someone pointed out to me, because I'd rather be financially "responsible" while deciding what school to attend to ease the burden of having to consider salary differences when choosing a specialty. It's still going to be a really touch choice.
Yeah but one can make that argument about most state schools vs. BU. Almost all state schools are cheaper, yet it would be truly tough to give up a school that offers so much of the stuff that BU does that I've not seen at least at some of my own state schools.
But again, I speak from my own experience at BU and how different it was from the public state school I did a different MS program. Though I was only in grad school at these two schools, it is easy to observe the atmosphere of a school and its professors and research and what they have going around campus and the difference was quite vast at least between my own state school and BU. i don't know how Umass compares as an institution though outside of my friend vouching for its great toxicology fellowship program post residency in EM.![]()
So I admit I have a biased opinion. The other reason my opinion is also biased is that I know people who turned down Umass for BU because they didn't feel UMass had everything that they wanted which BU did.
I say if I had to give you serious advice Dr. Dashwood, and not biased opinions.............
I say go to second looks!!!!!!!!! Get a feel for students and faculty, atmosphere of the two locations, of the schools themselves. Try to get the best feel you can for each school. Then ask yourself, are you going to Umass over BU because u think you won't pay off debt or because you really prefer there if you choose Umass. Or ask yourself is there something at BU that you see it offering that could make it worth the cost to stay here that Umass won't that you would choose BU over Umass despite the debt you may incur from going there.
Then make your decision. Also think about where you will have the greatest support system and which one will help to meet your personal goals more if again one has something that the other can't offer that helps your future goals.
BTW what I said in the two paragraphs above also applies to BU vs. any other school be it tufts, harvard, out of state schools.
Good luck to everyone with their decision making. I've had people close to me who were in this position just few years ago.
CONGRATULATIONS to all those who got acceptances.
Thanks for this advice- it makes a lot of sense, and you articulated it very well. I will go to second looks. And I'll ask around and try to get a feel for each school.
Though in the defense of Umass, they sort their students in HOUSES. The part of me that still wants to go to Hogwarts can't help but fall in love

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
as a reminder UMass also has like 6K in required fees.accepted this morning.
And RE: UMass vs BU, while they're both good schools...UMass is $8,300 a year. One could go to UMass for 4 years for the price of roughly ONE SEMESTER at BU.
That being said it would still be a tough choice...but when you put it that way, it puts it into perspective.
Congrats was this among your top choices? Saw you had other acceptances too. Congrats.
Hey Guju, yeah prior to interview season BU was actually my top choice (*as i never in a million years expected to get an interview at HMS or NYU). As it stands now I have no idea where i'll end up, but there is a decent chance it'll be BUSM. Thanks for your congratulations, congrats to all those accepted, and good luck to everyone waiting to hear!!
Did any of you lucky people get a letter in the mail today?
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/debtSo in truth you are saying its more like 15k a year.
So still cheaper but not the magnitude people were saying.
BTW while I'm quoting you, can you pull up that thing from USNews you showed some time back about debt from BU vs. average debt of other schools?
Wow congrats. at least your anxiety is over. 🙂
Yeah, thanks! I am so excited! You're a UF alumnus, right? I'm in my last semester here at UF.
congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Has anyone who has not heard yet contact the admissions office? I know some schools are okay with disclosing decisions over the phone, does anyone know if BU does this? I have a feeling they wont.
No, but this thread is making me crazy with about 5-6 people receiving phone calls. I was so relaxed until phone calls started going out, with none for me. I want to call, but I won't. I figure last year acceptance calls went out from January 4-11, roughly a week. But if letters went out 2 days ago, I figure if I don't get a call or a mailed acceptance by Wednesday, then its not good.
But trust me when I say, this is now all I can think about. 🙁
But trust me when I say, this is now all I can think about. 🙁
+1 in a big way 😱
Just got a phone call from my interviewer! 🙂 Accepted!!!!
No, but this thread is making me crazy with about 5-6 people receiving phone calls. I was so relaxed until phone calls started going out, with none for me. I want to call, but I won't. I figure last year acceptance calls went out from January 4-11, roughly a week. But if letters went out 2 days ago, I figure if I don't get a call or a mailed acceptance by Wednesday, then its not good.
But trust me when I say, this is now all I can think about. 🙁
Welcome to the club ... I know you would cave in some time 🙂
+1 in a big way 😱
+2...I die a little every time my cellphone rings
Has anyone heard back or gotten a call from Dr.Horner?
Welcome to the club ... I know you would cave in some time 🙂
This isn't a club I want to be a part of...while you guys die a little every time your phone rings, I die a little every time someone posts they got a call. Lol, j/k...but not really.
Congrats to those of you with acceptances, must feel great getting into my top choice hahaha.
Congrats to those of you with acceptances, must feel great getting into my top choice hahaha.
Thank you for continually saying EXACTLY WHAT I AM THINKING. Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This isn't a club I want to be a part of...while you guys die a little every time your phone rings, I die a little every time someone posts they got a call. Lol, j/k...but not really.
Congrats to those of you with acceptances, must feel great getting into my top choice hahaha.
Haha, but it is very entertaining watching your sinking to our neurotic level 😉
Anyhow, no call for me. I know your pain! Sighhh
Can people who got accepted pls post who they interviewed with! Thanks!
Only people who didn't receive calls follow this thread extensively. To be honest, I doubt those accepted would read and reply to your post.
However, feel free to prove me wrong !!!!
Only people who didn't receive calls follow this thread extensively. To be honest, I doubt those accepted would read and reply to your post.
However, feel free to prove me wrong !!!!
Haha! I was just about to post this too! If I'd gotten the call I'd probably wouldn't be here either
Haha, but it is very entertaining watching your sinking to our neurotic level 😉
Anyhow, no call for me. I know your pain! Sighhh
I'm glad my misery is entertaining, but at least I'm not alone.
And yeah, if I had been accepted, I probably wouldn't be on here...I'd be celebrating and not addicted to SDN mobile.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K