2010-2011 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent my secondary via USPS certified mail last week. Unfortunately USPS sent it to the school last Saturday and there was nobody to sign for it (obviously).....

Will someone from the school go and pick up my secondary from USPS??!!

Members don't see this ad.

I sent my secondary via USPS certified mail last week. Unfortunately USPS sent it to the school last Saturday and there was nobody to sign for it (obviously).....

Will someone from the school go and pick up my secondary from USPS??!!

Well USPS seems silly for doing that. Don't they usually try two attempts before requiring someone to go pick it up?

Well USPS seems silly for doing that. Don't they usually try two attempts before requiring someone to go pick it up?

Why is it silly? The job of the USPS is to deliver mail, it doesn't matter if someone isn't there to pick it up...they're government employees. haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so I called USPS, here's the story

USPS has this policy where they will only deliver the letter once, and if no one signed the certified letter, they leave a notice so someone can go pick it up.

I asked if USPS could redeliver, they said yes but the recipient has to put that request and NOT the sender.....:confused:

I emailed the admin dept to see what they will do

Never gonna use USPS again.....

To answer your question, I think anything "NOT" research or class related is considered non-academic...as long as you dont say "my grades in ________ class and my research ____________" you'll be fine.

Simply put..most extracurriculars less research are probably the non-academic things they're looking for.

Excellent, that's what I was thinking too!

so i saved the pdf, filled out my info, paid online, and tried to print. and the pages came out weird (missing a box sized chunk of text on some pages and texts from other pages were placed in that box on other pages). anyone else getting this problem?

it might be the printer but i printed out another pdf file and it worked fine...

edit: nevermind, problem has been solved.

Last edited:
Mailed it in today. I am hoping for another interview here... I love GWU!!!!!

BTW- did anyone notice that on the app the address is 2300 I street and on the admissions handbook it is 2300 Eye Street?

Weird...

BTW- did anyone notice that on the app the address is 2300 I street and on the admissions handbook it is 2300 Eye Street?

Weird...

Where do you find the admissions handbook?

Where do you find the admissions handbook?

They gave a hard copy out during the interview but I am sure it can be found somewhere on the admissions page. Let me know if you cant find it Ill do some searching

Does anyone have a rough idea of how long they take to review your app after you're "complete"?

Weird...

It's so people know that it's the letter "I" and not the number one or a lowercase "l", I suppose!

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody know if there's an issue submitting before getting your primary verified?

Im assuming it'd be alright if they sent it out to people who haven't gotten verified yet - i haven't called the school though yet.

much thanks

I mailed in my secondary end of last month and my amcas hasn't been verified yet.
I received an email from GW saying that I can check the status of my application and all it said was that everything was completed and they're just waiting for verification.
hope that helps!:)

So regarding the Photo attachment, It doesn't say passport picture. Does that mean I can attach any professional looking picture of myself on there?

My passport pictures usually look like mug shots :(

Quick question..... since George Washington doesn't pre-screen applicants do you think that it is still of supreme importance to return their secondary within the standard 2 week time frame? I'm really interested in GWU so I'm going to do my best, and it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I wanted to check just in case.... I'm currently studying for the MCAT (the July 29th administration.... eeek!) and would only be able to work on the secondary between studying.

Just curious! Thanks! =)

I would try to send all your secondaries as early as possible. Believe me, I understand how hard it is to study for the MCAT and all send out secondaries as I tried to do that two cycles ago... and it didn't end well. GWU asks some pretty basic and easy questions -- so you should be able to write it in an hour or two, have people double check and then send it out.

So regarding the Photo attachment, It doesn't say passport picture. Does that mean I can attach any professional looking picture of myself on there?

My passport pictures usually look like mug shots :(

I just put in a sorta-professional looking picture of me. No passport-style picture here - no thank you.

Woops, my picture was definitely not professional...haha. Oh well, too late now.

Didn't see this asked already .. not sure if it's kind of a given or not, but ..

For the first two questions, I'm referencing activities that I wrote about on my AMCAS .. i.e. I'm continuing with several of them in the next year, and I'm using an experience from one of them as my "most significant accomplishment"

I don't have to re-explain/identify these activities again, right? For example, I'm working with a nonprofit organization .. I explained who we are and what we do on the primary, .. so I can just give the name when I'm talking about on the secondary, right?

Thanks!

I guess I'll keep this advice in mind for all secondaries that ask for pictures. Do you still think something relatively the same size as passport photo or just wallet size? I still have to buy something professional to wear for this picture and all those interviews I'm hoping to get. I think the biggest shock of applying has been all the costs.... if it weren't for the FAP I don't know how I'd do it since I'm STILL struggling!

I went to one of those glam shot places in my mall -- told them it had to look nice -- and bought like 20 wallet size photos. Then I just cut it to size. haha

Didn't see this asked already .. not sure if it's kind of a given or not, but ..

For the first two questions, I'm referencing activities that I wrote about on my AMCAS .. i.e. I'm continuing with several of them in the next year, and I'm using an experience from one of them as my "most significant accomplishment"

I don't have to re-explain/identify these activities again, right? For example, I'm working with a nonprofit organization .. I explained who we are and what we do on the primary, .. so I can just give the name when I'm talking about on the secondary, right?

Thanks!

I would do like a quick reminder. Mayube just say, "I worked here, a non-profit that does such and such" and then continue. I mentioned that co-op I live in and reminded them how many people lived there, ect. I figured I shouldn't make them take the extra effort of going back to my primary application to remind themselves... or during the span of that 10 seconds, get bored of my application

I too wrote about something mentioned in my primary (and PS). I just made sure that throughout what I was saying, they'd be able to get an idea of what I did in that activity through little details here and there.

Application status: "on hold for re-review at a later date"....WTF ALREADY!?!?!?

Guess they didn't like what they saw =/

Hmm yeah I have the same status :( Can't be good.

Yeah I have the same status. That was the first status that showed up for me, so I feel like this might be automatically put up there, I can't believe that they would have reviewed all of ours already unless they have like automatic GPA or MCAT cutoffs or something

even if youre on hold already it doesn't matter- they keep reviewing you. They review ppl pretty quick and either interview, hold or reject (most ppl get held). Hold isn't that bad, I was on hold last year before getting a last minute interview.

Like you said, it might not be right but even if it is dont worry!

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

I was "complete" on the 6th of July. As of now, that's what mine says...It might (hopefully) be what we alll have...Just the "default" when it's "in-review"..Either that, or we just aren't liked by them. In any case, better than a rejection?

even if youre on hold already it doesn't matter- they keep reviewing you. They review ppl pretty quick and either interview, hold or reject (most ppl get held). Hold isn't that bad, I was on hold last year before getting a last minute interview.

Like you said, it might not be right but even if it is dont worry!

That is good news then, I suppose! At least I wasn't outright rejected haha. Thanks for the info.

jmr86, sedaniel, and Asyouwereatrio,

When did your application reach GW admissions office?

Thank you.

Thank you.

They emailed me on 7/6 to say they had received mine.

I see. Do you know when your application arrived at the office though? I am trying to get an estimate on how long it takes for GW to process the application upon receipt.

When did you mail in the secondary? I mailed mine 7/6 and I was wondering how long it takes for them to send out the confirmation email. Thanks!

Thank you.

I think I sent it out around 6/30, and I received a confirmation email from them that they received it on 7/6

Yeah, same re-review as the rest of you guys. I am thinking that is the default until a bit later unless you have a 4.0/45 or something ridiculous. They probably don't even have 10% of applications for the year, so they need a larger pool to choose from.

I was filling out the secondary and just saw that GW waives the secondary application fee to all US military members who have been active within the past three years. I thought I liked this school before, but it definitely just moved up even higher in my list!

Why do they take so long to inform you that they've received your application? I sent mine a week or so ago and now I'm getting worried it got lost in the mail or something..

What does GWU specialize in? From my research, it seems like it graduates a lot of students in internal medicine and surgery. Can someone correct me on this?

Edit: From the match day results in the admissions brochure, it says that 60 people specialized in "medicine," 24 specialized in pediatrics... etc. What does it mean to specialize in "medicine?"

Last edited:
hey where did you guys hear the status of your application?

website? or called?

What does GWU specialize in? From my research, it seems like it graduates a lot of students in internal medicine and surgery. Can someone correct me on this?

Edit: From the match day results in the admissions brochure, it says that 60 people specialized in "medicine," 24 specialized in pediatrics... etc. What does it mean to specialize in "medicine?"

I think it is referring to internal medicine. But I may be wrong.

Why do they take so long to inform you that they've received your application? I sent mine a week or so ago and now I'm getting worried it got lost in the mail or something..

I'm in the same boat. Dropped it in the mail on 7/1 and no word yet that they've received it.

I'm in the same boat. Dropped it in the mail on 7/1 and no word yet that they've received it.
I would give them a call and see if you should re-send it (especially if you hear nothing in the next few days). I mailed mine out on 7/1 and got a confirmation that it was received on 7/7.

exact same for me. Think I might give them a call today. I didn't send it certified, just a stamp so I understand it could take a few days to get there (esp considering the holiday) but that still leaves a week for them to let me know they got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.