2010-2011 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any med students available to discuss housing, specifically in Indiannapolis? I can PM the questions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I also interviewed on Wednesday Jan 5. My interviewers only wanted to know why I chose medicine and why I chose IU. I asked them lots of questions. Hope to hear some good news in about 2 months.

I got asked a lot about current issues with health care. Why drugs are expensive and how might we fix this. What are some of the big problems in health care today, etc... I got asked the why IU, why medicine as well, but I thought it was a fun tour and everything overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they pick interviewers based on your app. For instance, my interviewer was an african american women, who also was a single mom back in med skool. Well, I was asked a lot of questions; some about my family, high skool stuff, what I do now. Good interview though.

No. This is correct:
"Campus assigments begin November and will conclude hopefully by May.
Path I: Campus 1-8
Path II: Indiannapolis
For those who select Path II, there will be a lotter an April. Only 65% of students that choose Indy get in. " Therefore, they encourage that it we choose Path I because students will get their first or second choice.
Just to let you guys know, you will see this system again. Starting next year IU will be sending third and fourth year med students to center campuses Gary, South Bend, and Fort Wayne for rotations.

You may choose to stay at one of those campuses for the entire year or you may choose Indianapolis and still potentially get sent to one of the other three for up to three months. At this point the details are still being worked out.

i got accepted here in november (complete mid-August, interviwed late september, 3.78 cumulative and science, 30Q, committed to varied ECs) and picked indianapolis as my first choice.

do any med students have advice about housing? please PM me!

(this is my first post to studentdoc, so sorry if this the wrong thread to be asking this question)

Has anyone received acceptance letters for this month's cycle?

Accepted! (29O, 3.71 in state)
Got the letter today. Ironically, I got an acceptance call from Oakland earlier in the day, so I was already in shock over having the knowledge that I got in somewhere. I'm super excited!!!
Here's to my fellow <30 MCATers, you can do it!:D

Accepted! (29O, 3.71 in state)
Got the letter today. Ironically, I got an acceptance call from Oakland earlier in the day, so I was already in shock over having the knowledge that I got in somewhere. I'm super excited!!!
Here's to my fellow <30 MCATers, you can do it!:D

Congrats! Double blessing...must be a good day! When did you interview?

Accepted - dated 14Jan2011

Still settling in

STILL

Just received my acceptance.
Undergrad GPA 3.679
SMP GPA 3.4
MCAT: 29O
Re-applicant
Interviewed in early September
Wooooooo

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. When u applied the first time, did u get an interview? The reason I ask is cause I am a reapplicant as well and interviewed again in November.
Just received my acceptance.
Undergrad GPA 3.679
SMP GPA 3.4
MCAT: 29O
Re-applicant
Interviewed in early September
Wooooooo

Undergrad GPA 2.997
Post-Bac GPA 3.71 (all science classes)
MCAT 29Q
OOS
First-time applicant

Undergrad GPA 2.997
Post-Bac GPA 3.71 (all science classes)
MCAT 29Q
OOS
First-time applicant

Congrats spidey, Accepted here as well! Its kinda eerie but we have pretty much identical stats...guess we know what they are looking for! haha

Question to all accepted applicants: how are you going about ranking your campus selection? I'm soo confused!!

Congrats to all that have been accepted. I'm still waiting for word on "The Decision".

Called the admissions office today just to ask if Onestart had any relevant info...she said don't go by what onestart says as its rarely updated.

Oh, for those who got their letters just recently, when did you interview/have all materials submitted?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I got my acceptance into IUSM in Dec.... but I think now it is really sinking in that I am going! After 2 years of trying! I can't wait till the journey begins. Greetings to my fellow classmates!

Congrats to all that have been accepted. I'm still waiting for word on "The Decision".

Called the admissions office today just to ask if Onestart had any relevant info...she said don't go by what onestart says as its rarely updated.

Oh, for those who got their letters just recently, when did you interview/have all materials submitted?

Thanks!

All materials submitted: 10/14
Interviewed: 11/10
Acceptance letter dated: 1/14

Hey everybody! I got my Indiana ID number today; anybody else recieve theirs? Its starting to get real!:eek:

Any west lafers? That's where I've been placed.

All materials submitted: 10/14
Interviewed: 11/10
Acceptance letter dated: 1/14

Thanks!
I interviewed in late September, however didn't have my letters of rec sent until the first week of December (long story). Hoping that 2/16-17 will be the day I can celebrate!!

Hey everybody! I got my Indiana ID number today; anybody else recieve theirs? Its starting to get real!:eek:

Totally, I got my ID yesterday. This is all finally starting to sink in! I really hope I get placed in Indy...

Hey guys, I was wondering where everyone was at in the campus preferencing process. I am starting to get worried because even though I had my interview on the first possible date and was accepted in November, I have been taking WAY too long researching/visiting/talking to students from them. Now I am thinking that I might have to go the Indy route out of sheer time constraints. Let me know what your impressions are as to when people have sent their forms out/if the satellite campuses seem like they are full.

Hey guys, I was wondering where everyone was at in the campus preferencing process. I am starting to get worried because even though I had my interview on the first possible date and was accepted in November, I have been taking WAY too long researching/visiting/talking to students from them. Now I am thinking that I might have to go the Indy route out of sheer time constraints. Let me know what your impressions are as to when people have sent their forms out/if the satellite campuses seem like they are full.

I don't know about everyone else, but I sent my form out right away (within a week of getting accepted in November) and then found out a month later where I was going. I guess it probably depends on where you were thinking of ranking first? Bloomington might already be full but I doubt the others are...who knows though.

Word on the street is that the West Lafayette students perform better on average (USMLE, etc.) than the other campuses. I heard Bloomington and Evansville are abysmal. South Bend is supposed to be good for those considering surgery. I ranked my campuses within the first week after receiving my invitation in December and was placed about a month afterward.

Word on the street is that the West Lafayette students perform better on average (USMLE, etc.) than the other campuses. I heard Bloomington and Evansville are abysmal. South Bend is supposed to be good for those considering surgery. I ranked my campuses within the first week after receiving my invitation in December and was placed about a month afterward.

Anyone else have any other input on the IU campuses? I have been looking around online but it would be nice to get the opinions of a few other students.

Word on the street is that the West Lafayette students perform better on average (USMLE, etc.)
Really? I heard it was South Bend that had the highest scores.

Really? I heard it was South Bend that had the highest scores.

And I heard Muncie... board scores reflect the person much more so than the campus/school. Always.

This round's decisions go out tomorrow by mail. Good luck to everyone!

Any idea if/when they will update the application status on onestart? Does that normally happen at the same time they mail the letters?

This round's decisions go out tomorrow by mail. Good luck to everyone!

Any idea if/when they will update the application status on onestart? Does that normally happen at the same time they mail the letters?

What is onestart?

According to somebody who posted earlier, it seems that OneStart isn't updated all that often and is an unreliable source for finding information about your status. The person who I talked to in admissions also told me that they cannot tell you about your status over the phone, you will have to find out via mail. It seems like a weird way of doing things, but I assume they just don't want to hear people complain if no news is the verdict at the time. I mean, I wouldn't want to hear that all of the time lol.

Anyone know what's going on for Second Look? Is it still just for us URMs?

I just got in and was invited to that 2nd look too...I am white though. I was curious to know if everyone gets that?
And onestart is IU's student portal thing...onestart.iu.edu

Hey, I just got the second look email message. The point of it is to recruit you, so the school does it best to sell you the school in hopes you decide to attend there. I'm an URM, but I think everyone accepted gets invited regardless! :) I haven't received the letter by mail yet however...maybe 'cause I'm all the way in Cali? I wanted to confirm I've been accepted but the office was closed (3 hr time difference=annoying). I hope it's not a mistake 'cause I'm completely ecstatic!!!!!! It says "Dear Ms. 'my last name' "...so :soexcited::highfive:

Hey! Did ya'll get the second look email invite in your regular email?

According to somebody who posted earlier, it seems that OneStart isn't updated all that often and is an unreliable source for finding information about your status. The person who I talked to in admissions also told me that they cannot tell you about your status over the phone, you will have to find out via mail. It seems like a weird way of doing things, but I assume they just don't want to hear people complain if no news is the verdict at the time. I mean, I wouldn't want to hear that all of the time lol.

Again, what is onestart?

Hey, I just got the second look email message. The point of it is to recruit you, so the school does it best to sell you the school in hopes you decide to attend there. I'm an URM, but I think everyone accepted gets invited regardless! :) I haven't received the letter by mail yet however...maybe 'cause I'm all the way in Cali? I wanted to confirm I've been accepted but the office was closed (3 hr time difference=annoying). I hope it's not a mistake 'cause I'm completely ecstatic!!!!!! It says "Dear Ms. 'my last name' "...so :soexcited::highfive:

Sounds like an acceptance to me. Congrats to you and to all the others. I received an email that I am now under consideration. I guess I'll wait until March 15-20. I pray not later.

And onestart is IU's student portal thing...onestart.iu.edu

Maiden said:
Again, what is onestart?

Yeah, it's the student portal for IU and satellite campuses like IUPUI. I had a OneStart account when I took physics during the summer at IUPUI. It's not updated all the time, so it's unreliable as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, it's the student portal for IU and satellite campuses like IUPUI. I had a OneStart account when I took physics during the summer at IUPUI. It's not updated all the time, so it's unreliable as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, so onestart is for IU students...thanks

Sounds like an acceptance to me. Congrats to you and to all the others. I received an email that I am now under consideration. I guess I'll wait until March 15-20. I pray not later.

Do they always e-mail before you are under consideration by the committee? I interviewed in early November and haven't heard anything back yet. I was hoping to be considered for the Feb or March cycle, but never received such an e-mail.

Do they always e-mail before you are under consideration by the committee? I interviewed in early November and haven't heard anything back yet. I was hoping to be considered for the Feb or March cycle, but never received such an e-mail.

From what I know they send out the "under consideration" e-mail (used to be postcard) after your interview and once your file is complete ie all of the recommendation letters are in and all transcripts and such are processed. If you still haven't received the e-mail I would definitely call the office and ask if your application is complete. I interviewed on 1/12 and received the "under consideration" e-mail by 1/28.

I interviewed on 1/5 and got an email verifying that I was under consideration on 1/20. Praying for a letter this week? If not, the anxiety of waiting until March will suck.

I interviewed on 1/5 and got an email verifying that I was under consideration on 1/20. Praying for a letter this week? If not, the anxiety of waiting until March will suck.

Hey, I hope you get some good news this week. Have you been accepted anywhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.