2010-2011 Mayo Clinic Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I disagree. You should look at the average person who graduates from law school compared to the average person who goes to medical school.

The average law school graduate is much more likely to make 40K in this economy. The average resident makes more than that.

Also, we have repayment for public service which is much easier to get than for law grads.

Lastly, the average physician jobs are paying a lot more than the average law salary.

There will be some people who make vast sums of money in law, but more are likely to wind up deeply in debt. Not to mention that they are struggling for employment.

At least, we are all going to get a residency somewhere in something.

There's also the fact that having an MD can potentially open up a lot of very lucrative paths for you. Off the top of my head you can use the things you learn (as well as your degree) to go into healthcare consulting, develop and market intellectual property, start up your own plastics practice in florida, etc. Of course, most people who go to med school do end up going into residency because i) they enjoy the practice of medicine more than the pursuit of (enormous amounts of) money or ii) it's much more straightforward to get a residency than it is to look for other opportunities.

Basically if you're willing to struggle as much as a first law graduate does to find opportunities to use your education, you can make a killing in medicine. That said, you shouldn't go to medical school unless you're at least a little interested in practicing as a doctor.
 
That's so depressing.

I see a lot of screwed up things in this world, and especially in the united states, but that is disturbing. I can't believe how competitive medical school applications are.

What's even more depressing is you could probably walk into any one of the top 3 law or business schools, graduate #1 in your class in a fraction of the time it would take to become a doctor and chances are make around the same amount of money you would as a doc.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Only on SDN will you find a quote like this. Graduating #1 at Harvard Law is more or less equivalent to buying a burrito at Chipotle, after all.
 
You have valid points, but people tend to forget the big loans that med students accrue during their years in medical school (although if you graduate from an awesome school like Mayo that may be less true!)

A loan accruing interest + cost of living + 40k (first year residents don't make that much more than 40k a year) a year nets you a pretty rough lifestyle for your time in residency. You'll probably barely have enough to pay off your interest, let alone your actual debt.

So making 40k a year after med school isn't necessarily the same as 40k a year after law school, assuming they're starting off at 40k (a quick google search suggested that if you entered private practice in law right after graduation or did business law you'd be making much more than 40k).

But I agree, overall I don't think law is head over heels better financially than medicine, if it is even better at all as getting a job as a lawyer is much more competitive since its just relatively easy to make law schools, so they're a lot more lawyers around. I think as a physician you're going to be compensated appropriately for the amount of work that you do in the long run. Just a career where you live with 200k+ in debt for a decade+ doesn't sound like the best decision from a purely financial perspective.

I disagree. You should look at the average person who graduates from law school compared to the average person who goes to medical school.

The average law school graduate is much more likely to make 40K in this economy. The average resident makes more than that.

Also, we have repayment for public service which is much easier to get than for law grads.

Lastly, the average physician jobs are paying a lot more than the average law salary.

There will be some people who make vast sums of money in law, but more are likely to wind up deeply in debt. Not to mention that they are struggling for employment.

At least, we are all going to get a residency somewhere in something.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Only on SDN will you find a quote like this. Graduating #1 at Harvard Law is more or less equivalent to buying a burrito at Chipotle, after all.

haha, yeah, us premeds need to get out more, don't we. Being so used to working hard and striving for the top, it is certainly easy to end up with that mindset.

I like the idea of medical schools focusing on things besides numbers, after all scores and grades are poor indicators of personal worth. I am not my MCAT score.
 
Will mayo still send out a LOR request if I assigned them schools on my AMCAS when I submitted it? Seems like they would just pull them, I'm wondering if they'll let me know...
 
Will mayo still send out a LOR request if I assigned them schools on my AMCAS when I submitted it? Seems like they would just pull them, I'm wondering if they'll let me know...

Yep they let you know 🙂

Mine were also assigned, and I got an email for a LOR request.
 
hmm, so they always email you when they access your letters, even if they are already on AMCAS? Sigh, haven't gotten an email yet... too bad, as mayo is probably my first choice. eh, perhaps this 'numbers are not important' thing is bad after all 😉

If they ask me to pay for a secondary though, I would at least hope they look at my letters. I suppose its only been a month... I should just relax a bit.
 
hmm, so they always email you when they access your letters, even if they are already on AMCAS? Sigh, haven't gotten an email yet... too bad, as mayo is probably my first choice. eh, perhaps this 'numbers are not important' thing is bad after all 😉

If they ask me to pay for a secondary though, I would at least hope they look at my letters. I suppose its only been a month... I should just relax a bit.

It took about 2.5 weeks to receive a complete e-mail for me after my LORs were available on AMCAS. As far as I know, you'll always receive an e-mail saying your application is complete. You won't be silently rejected before that I don't think.
 
I whole heartedly agree one should not become a physician for the money. Our high cost of care in the US is due to many factors, but few would argue that one of them is that many aspects of medicine have become businesses; there is a conflict in duty to profit and care.

Also I agree that becoming a lawyer is not necessarily the road to financial success. Yes, top students become attorneys at top firms and do well. But lots of law grads are in jobs other than law now. My wife is an attorney, a public defender. She is an example to me: do what you love and find challenging, help others in the process if you can.

Sorry to climb the soapbox, but this is close to home.
 
So i got my letters received email on July 30th, and thought it took mayo 3 weeks to get back to people by following posts, but I guess i was wrong...oh well...at this point no news is good news, and i d be SOOOO pumped to get an interview here cos i love the school
 
So i got my letters received email on July 30th, and thought it took mayo 3 weeks to get back to people by following posts, but I guess i was wrong...oh well...at this point no news is good news, and i d be SOOOO pumped to get an interview here cos i love the school

It seems that later in the cycle, more time tends to lapse in-between the complete email and the interview invite. According to this thread, the most recent invites have been from those who were complete on/before 7/24. I wouldn't sweat anything yet! They may not have reached your batch of LORs or at least not acted on them.

:luck: to you!
 
Last edited:
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Only on SDN will you find a quote like this. Graduating #1 at Harvard Law is more or less equivalent to buying a burrito at Chipotle, after all.

Well some of us (like me) really find it difficult to buy burritos at Chipotle. So many decisions...

🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep. I'm prob gonna try to call tomorrow.


Why don't you PM me with the email address you sent the email to. I know where the emails are supposed to go, so I can check to see if you're sending it to the right place. Then I will confront the classmate in charge of hosting (a reprehensible fellow) and make sure it gets figured out. We are looking forward to hosting you people!
~Nerday
 
Added 8/6, fee received email 8/9, LOR request 8/21

Thanks for the info AZ and pete. I notice they are only sending out the LOR requests on the weekends so I hope I am soon! I got my fee receipt a few days after you guys, so we'll see. Good luck in your application cycle.
 
Hey Guys,

I spoke with Carmen in the admissions office. There was an issue with setting up the email account we use for student hosting. She is working with our IT Helpdesk to fix the problem. We will let you know when the issue has been resolved.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info AZ and pete. I notice they are only sending out the LOR requests on the weekends so I hope I am soon! I got my fee receipt a few days after you guys, so we'll see. Good luck in your application cycle.

Happy to help. gl to you too!
 
Hmm... Fee received email around 7/25. Not a peep about LOR request, rejection, or anything else 😕
 
Hey Guys,

It seems that the email address that was included in the Student Hosting email was incorrect. I will speak with Carmen in the Admissions Office to have an email with the correct email address be sent out.


Hey everyone, the e-mail is wrong. We recognized the mistake and hopefully Carmen will send the correct e-mail out as soon as she can. We do have student hosting and we will make sure that you get student hosting if you are interested. Let me know if you have questions
 
Did any of you guys have the AMCAS fee waiver? If you did, did they still send you a fee request email or something similar? I got my primary verified today and was wondering about that since I have the FAP. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did any of you guys have the AMCAS fee waiver? If you did, did they still send you a fee request email or something similar? I got my primary verified today and was wondering about that since I have the FAP. Thanks!
I have the fee waiver and they never asked for proof. They sent me an email saying that they recognized the waiver and then sent me a letter request.
 
LORs received 7/15 and still nada. Should I be expecting a rejection soon...?

Wow...I JUST got rejected haha, what luck. Goodbye Mayo, I still love you, even though you don't love me.
 
Last edited:
Same here, fee received 8/1 and silence... :xf::xf:Come on mayo, pleeeeease:xf::xf:

LOR request finally... fee recieved 7/27.

I suppose from the comments I will wait at least a week and a half before I hear anything new.

Don't worry, you arent being left behind :luck:
 
LORs received 7/15 and still nada. Should I be expecting a rejection soon...?

Wow...I JUST got rejected haha, what luck. Goodbye Mayo, I still love you, even though you don't love me.

Oh wow my LORs were received 7/30...and still no word...my fingers are crossed, i feel like i should be hearing something this weekend *prays*
 
Me too. My letters were received 7/23.

So it seems that once you get a LOR request, you should wait about ten days for confirmation that it was received (i.e. the application complete email), and then about a month for a decision on interview or rejection.
 
Me too. My letters were received 7/23.
for those who got rejected post LOR how diverse where your letters? science/nonscience? how many of them? I am just tryna look since they say that after LOR request they look pass your stat and the letters count the most in granting an interview

Thank you
 
Quick question...

If the interview day ends at ~3:00p, is it possible to catch a plane at Rochester Airport at 3:50p? Or is it cutting it too close?

Thanks!
 
Quick question...

If the interview day ends at ~3:00p, is it possible to catch a plane at Rochester Airport at 3:50p? Or is it cutting it too close?

Thanks!

That may be cutting it a bit close. If that is the only time you can fly out, though, I would call the office. They should be able to accommodate your travel plans so you could possibly leave a bit before three. The interview group is typically quite small, so this probably won't be much of a problem.

Good luck!:luck:
 
Oh wow my LORs were received 7/30...and still no word...my fingers are crossed, i feel like i should be hearing something this weekend *prays*

Yea I was complete 7/30 too. I imagine if we get an interview it'll be in the next few days, or else it's the chopping block for us some time next week :scared:
 
for those who got rejected post LOR how diverse where your letters? science/nonscience? how many of them? I am just tryna look since they say that after LOR request they look pass your stat and the letters count the most in granting an interview

Thank you

I'm not sure it matters how diverse the letters are, from what I can see from those who have been rejected. I think it matters more about the content, though what exactly they are looking for in the content, I'm not sure.
 
I'm not sure it matters how diverse the letters are, from what I can see from those who have been rejected. I think it matters more about the content, though what exactly they are looking for in the content, I'm not sure.
yea I think so too... Only if we knew what the contents are in our letters. I mean Im pretty confident all my recommenders had faith in me and adore me but then again....im excited tho my committee package will be in on tuesday so anytime from then. Do i receive a complete email or LOR receipt of some sort? before interview invite/rejection email?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question...
Tuesday I received an email from the Mayo Medical School Student Body that began with "Congratulations on your invitation to interview at Mayo Medical School!" I died of happiness, and then I realized that it wasn't actually an interview invite...it was a letter from the students talking about lunch on that day and stuff.

I checked my inbox, my deleted messages, etc, and I can't find the actual invite. Anyone else have this problem? Am I missing something?

Good luck everybody :xf:
 
Hey everyone,

If you were trying to send an email about student hosting, you can try to resend it again. I believe the email is up an running. The person who is normally in charge of running application/interview process is out on medical leave, so Carmen is stepping in and doing double duties right now, so things are a little bumpy right now. She and the other members of the office are doing their best to make sure everything is done in as fast a process as it can be. So just hang in there!
 
Quick question...
Tuesday I received an email from the Mayo Medical School Student Body that began with "Congratulations on your invitation to interview at Mayo Medical School!" I died of happiness, and then I realized that it wasn't actually an interview invite...it was a letter from the students talking about lunch on that day and stuff.

I checked my inbox, my deleted messages, etc, and I can't find the actual invite. Anyone else have this problem? Am I missing something?

Good luck everybody :xf:


Definitely just call the office to check.
 
To everyone whose student hosting email got bounced back: try re-sending it (to the same email address) now. We have tested the email account and it appears to be up-and-working now. If you have any issues, feel free to PM me and I will help you get things sorted out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.