2010-2011 Mayo Clinic Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm ranked. I guess this means there's nothing more I can do but wait, so I might as well get comfortable.
 
I also recently got ranked, interviewed 12/6..does anyone have an idea when they might inform us of our fate?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also recently got ranked, interviewed 12/6..does anyone have an idea when they might inform us of our fate?

Oh, hey, I was 12/6 as well. The admissions committee meets regularly, I think every two weeks. At any of those meetings, you could be admitted. If not, you get thrown back into the pool of ranked people. So you could be accepted at any time, and won't be definitively rejected until the end.
 
Last year there were acceptances that went out today (or, the equivalent of today, the third Saturday of the month). It also seems, based on that thread, that the admissions process was infinitely more hectic and backed up last year than it is this year, so the fact that they admitted on a Saturday might mean absolutely nothing for us.

It would be useful to know if any admits have gone out since the last SDN confirmed acceptance, but I assume most of the Mayo students that read this thread are on vacation. Also, has it been confirmed whether or not Mayo overadmits outright, as it appears they did last year, or do they simply admit a class of the exact number they need, then pull off the list in the Spring?
 
Last year there were acceptances that went out today (or, the equivalent of today, the third Saturday of the month). It also seems, based on that thread, that the admissions process was infinitely more hectic and backed up last year than it is this year, so the fact that they admitted on a Saturday might mean absolutely nothing for us.

It would be useful to know if any admits have gone out since the last SDN confirmed acceptance, but I assume most of the Mayo students that read this thread are on vacation. Also, has it been confirmed whether or not Mayo overadmits outright, as it appears they did last year, or do they simply admit a class of the exact number they need, then pull off the list in the Spring?

With regard to the second question, my understanding is that they don't overadmit. Once they have the class of 50 selected, additional people will be admitted only with currently admitted students withdraw. This at least was what was described on my interview day.
 
With regard to the second question, my understanding is that they don't overadmit. Once they have the class of 50 selected, additional people will be admitted only with currently admitted students withdraw. This at least was what was described on my interview day.

I prodded one of the students on adcom, and he's pretty sure that^^ is the case, too. He was also under the impression that some appointments had been made this week, but perhaps they hadn't been released yet. He wasn't positive about that last part, though.

Also, I'm fairly certain adcom meets every Thursday, but obviously their decision release dates have been slightly sporadic, but roughly every 2 weeks. So really all there is to do is get comfortable! At least finals are over and we can distract ourselves with friends and festivities, now. 🙂
 
I interviewed the same day as Cole and can second the fact that Marcy made it sound as if there is no over-admission.

I had a friend who interviewed there last Monday, and apparently the staff made it sound as if the class was full or very near to being full, preparing interviewees for the continued notification.

If things follow the same pattern as they have been, appointment notifications are made on the Monday or Tuesday following Thursday meetings. However, I would've expected the appointments to go out earlier this week (as it was 2 weeks from previous on 11/30). Next week Monday/Tuesdays would be at the 3 week mark...who knows though maybe they took the extra week so they could also include the last interviewees from last week in the decision for appointments.

Best of luck to anyone still waiting for good news!
 
I can confirm that they don't overenroll. People do get in off the waitlist all the way into the summer though, so don't worry if you're not in from the getgo.

I haven't heard anything about when the next round of acceptances will go out, but I'll let you know if I do. We're all off for December selectives/break now, so I won't be stopping by the office until I get back in January. I'll check then if you still have questions 😳)

Over and out,
Nerday
 
Interviewed there on 12/7

Marcy mentioned that the last day for review was 12/21, and that they expect to have appointed "a full complement" before the new year. As of 12/7, 36 MD spots had been appointed--leaving 6 (+6 for MD/PhD + 2 OMS = 50 total). Seems like anyone who interviewed in December will be reviewed at the same time (ie, instead of appointing people every 2 weeks, this last/final group will include 3 weeks of interviews--due to the fact that they added a week of interviews, with the final interviews occurring last week).

They're moving quickly though--I got my ranked email barely a week after interviewing.

Congratulations to those who have been appointed, and good luck to those of you still waiting! I'm right there with ya 🙂
 
I was ranked several weeks ago, and it has been silent ever since. Anyone who has interviewed recently hear anything about when the next calls/emails might be going out?

If I understand the process correctly, they make decisions every other week. By this patterns, decisions were expected on the 9th, but judging by this thread, none were made (or at least released). So are they more likely to have just "delayed" releasing them to next week, or did they skip it altogether, in which case no one will hear anything for 2 weeks?

I've kept up with a couple of the people I met at my interview, and they both heard back regarding acceptance/hold weeks ago, only making my wait tougher...
 
Don't worry about not hearing back yet. My guess (as others have stated) is they are gathering up everyone from the last several weeks of interviews, and making appointment offers from the whole remaining pool. I had a fairly lengthy gap in hearing back as well (had an interviewer gone for a couple weeks so it delayed my review). For reference: Interview 10/25, Ranked 11/17, Appointed 11/30. AFAIK there have been no appointments released since 11/30, they would have been due last week Monday/Tuesday, but it makes alot of sense that they would postpone a week because they added 1 more week of interviewing. Don't fret, and :xf: for good news next Monday/Tuesday. I think 6 of you are going to get some early Christmas presents. Best wishes!
 
I interviewed the same day as Cole and can second the fact that Marcy made it sound as if there is no over-admission.

I had a friend who interviewed there last Monday, and apparently the staff made it sound as if the class was full or very near to being full, preparing interviewees for the continued notification.

If things follow the same pattern as they have been, appointment notifications are made on the Monday or Tuesday following Thursday meetings. However, I would've expected the appointments to go out earlier this week (as it was 2 weeks from previous on 11/30). Next week Monday/Tuesdays would be at the 3 week mark...who knows though maybe they took the extra week so they could also include the last interviewees from last week in the decision for appointments.

Best of luck to anyone still waiting for good news!

Were you watching the Packers/Vikings game? Guessing based on your name...
 
The committee was meeting last Friday PM to figure out the remainder of the class.

My *guess* would be to expect calls to go out Monday AM.

Don't freak out too much though if they don't.

:luck:all!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just received the hold status e-mail.

+1 and it stings. All the other schools I have interviewed at are non-rolling, so it looks like I have a long wait ahead of me. Anyone know if the committee will continue to meet and admit more people or what else happens now?
 
+1 and it stings. All the other schools I have interviewed at are non-rolling, so it looks like I have a long wait ahead of me. Anyone know if the committee will continue to meet and admit more people or what else happens now?

Pretty sure all appointments have been made, so see above for how the process works from here on out.
 
Pretty sure all appointments have been made, so see above for how the process works from here on out.

Sorry, which post above are you referring to? So basically, since all spots have been filled/offered, the committee won't be meeting again except to compile the waitlist?

Anyone know how many "hold" applicants get put on the waitlist and what factors lead to that or a rejection...just rank?
 
Sorry, which post above are you referring to? So basically, since all spots have been filled/offered, the committee won't be meeting again except to compile the waitlist?

Anyone know how many "hold" applicants get put on the waitlist and what factors lead to that or a rejection...just rank?

...

A formal waitlist isn't made until May I believe. Until then, everyone remains on hold status, and appointments are only made to replace those that decide not to attend. Whether or not you'll be appointed has little to do with rank; my understanding is that a candidate will be chosen that best "replaces" the person that withdrew. Thus, it's very possible that you might wait until May 15 to be pulled off the hold status (should you choose to wait that long).
 
Were you watching the Packers/Vikings game? Guessing based on your name...
If you get admitted, are you switching teams?

Anyone know how many "hold" applicants get put on the waitlist and what factors lead to that or a rejection...just rank?

Last year, the waitlist emails came out on March 1. The waitlist was not ranked. Around 100 students "hold" students were offered a place on the waitlist, but not all who are offered a spot take it. I'd estimate that half of the 42 MD students in Class of 2014 were admitted off the waitlist, so don't freak out if you don't get the call before March. Just ride the wave.
 
just got the call yesterday afternoon. im in! i must have been #42. im still in shock... i interviewed on the 29th, and so i didnt think my chances were very good. i really cant believe i got in!
 
If you get admitted, are you switching teams?

I am admitted, but sorry nope not changing teams. I hate Minnesota even worse now since Favre started playing for them. I look forward to a bit of "friendly" rivalry on game nights! :laugh:


Congrats to RoboDoc and other new acceptees who got the call yesterday! Can't wait to meet everyone at second look.
 
just got the call yesterday afternoon. im in! i must have been #42. im still in shock... i interviewed on the 29th, and so i didnt think my chances were very good. i really cant believe i got in!

ahhh! that's so awesome! welcome to the club 🙂
 
I'm probably gonna out my self by saying this. I got an email this morning accepting me to the class of 2009 and offering me a full scholarship. I was excited that I jumped up for joy , because not only did the email mean that medical school was free. It also meant that somehow I had already graduated and was one year into my internship. Anyways, I called and found out had been sent out by mistake.
 
I'm probably gonna out my self by saying this. I got an email this morning accepting me to the class of 2009 and offering me a full scholarship. I was excited that I jumped up for joy , because not only did the email mean that medical school was free. It also meant that somehow I had already graduated and was one year into my internship. Anyways, I called and found out had been sent out by mistake.

Hahaha bummer. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How is living in Rochester?

It's good! We're all happy here. If you have specific questions, just ask. Know that I looked into this ad nauseum before deciding to come to Mayo (I was super nervous about the location/small class/etc) - the students told me they were all really happy here, and they weren't lying. Life is good. If you're a big city person, you'll probably hate it. If you don't mind a smaller city/town feel, you'll be totally fine.
 
It's good! We're all happy here. If you have specific questions, just ask. Know that I looked into this ad nauseum before deciding to come to Mayo (I was super nervous about the location/small class/etc) - the students told me they were all really happy here, and they weren't lying. Life is good. If you're a big city person, you'll probably hate it. If you don't mind a smaller city/town feel, you'll be totally fine.

Its also a wee bit cold, but luckily shorter people have higher metabolisms and resting body temps.
 
Its also a wee bit cold, but luckily shorter people have higher metabolisms and resting body temps.

My personal statement ended with a short joke. It was the ultimate win for my Napoleon complex. And if anybody is wondering why a UConn medical student is writing on the Mayo thread, it's because he misses being friends with me. But you could be friends with me, prospective students. If you come to Mayo.
 
That's funny Nerday, because I heard your whole personal statement was a joke.

gagagagaga

i-lol-d.jpg
 
Is it wrong that I'm hoping the weather sucks on the second look weekend, and scares away some accepted students, thereby opening up more slots that I might have a shot at?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Status
Not open for further replies.