You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Mayo Clinic Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Congrats to all those that have been accepted!!
Did anyone attend the "Mayo campus visit" opportunity pre-interview? If so, how was it?
Did anyone attend the "Mayo campus visit" opportunity pre-interview? If so, how was it?
Hey all, I am not applying this cycle, but I am a serious Mayo lover. I thought you all might be interested that today's article on the Wikipedia main page is about the Minnesota Climate. There really is hope that the weather could thin out your competition 

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HEY MAYO 

Hi all ppl on hold. Long time lurker here. Waitlist decisions coming out closer to march 15. hope that bit of info helps!! (fyi i called admissions)
Great, thanks for the update.
Hi all ppl on hold. Long time lurker here. Waitlist decisions coming out closer to march 15. hope that bit of info helps!! (fyi i called admissions)
What do you mean by waitlist decisions? Does Mayo give you either a) a rejection or b) waitlist. If a waitlist do they rank it?
I am sure this information is somewhere but lets be real I am too lazy to go back and search through the thread 🙂
When I called a week or so ago they said you either get rejected, put on the wait list, or put on the alternate list. Acceptances are drawn from the alternate list. So the waitlist is basically like being on hold for the alternate list.
As of when I talked to her, they had accepted 47 people for 42 spots.
As of when I talked to her, they had accepted 47 people for 42 spots.
When I called a week or so ago they said you either get rejected, put on the wait list, or put on the alternate list. Acceptances are drawn from the alternate list. So the waitlist is basically like being on hold for the alternate list.
As of when I talked to her, they had accepted 47 people for 42 spots.
Thanks for the info! Many of the students I talked to when I interviewed said that they had come off the waitlist, like many of their fellow students. I wonder if they meant the alternate list or if they had actually been on the waitlist first and it just moved that quickly? It would surprise me that so many people wouldn't take their spot. If 20+ went from waitlist --> Alternate list --> acceptance. Am I making sense?

Hey I think dillydally did a good job explaining. Everyone now on hold will learn in a couple weeks whether or not they've been officially waitlisted (which is the same thing as alternate list) or rejected. The waitlist is not ranked. So it does seem like in previous years 20+ ppl have been pulled off the waitlist (or alternate list, whatever you wanna call it). Hope this helps and good luck!
Most top schools pull a lot of people off the waitlists - many students are accepted to multiple great schools, and they can only choose one. Also remember that outside factors play in - location, significant others, finances, etc. So just keep your fingers crossed and know that there will probably be some wait list movement! I know it's nerve wracking, but remember that you'll all be medical students next year at good institutions 😳)
Keeping it nerdy,
Nerday
Keeping it nerdy,
Nerday
Please forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but is the Admissions Committee at Mayo interested in Update letters? There are a few significant things that I would like to share, if they would be interested in listening, but I definitely do not want to err/be a burden by sending one in! (I cannot seem to recall what they mentioned on interview day. 🙂 )
Please forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but is the Admissions Committee at Mayo interested in Update letters? There are a few significant things that I would like to share, if they would be interested in listening, but I definitely do not want to err/be a burden by sending one in! (I cannot seem to recall what they mentioned on interview day. 🙂 )
They do welcome update letters, although it may well be too late for yours to have any impact now. If you're going to send one, do some immediately.
Please forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but is the Admissions Committee at Mayo interested in Update letters? There are a few significant things that I would like to share, if they would be interested in listening, but I definitely do not want to err/be a burden by sending one in! (I cannot seem to recall what they mentioned on interview day. 🙂 )
My memory is that they said do NOT update them on grades, but significant activities like clinical experience, etc, are important.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected. Maybe another time.
Good luck everyone! You'll always be my first love Mayo.
Good luck everyone! You'll always be my first love Mayo.
Rejected. Maybe another time.
Good luck everyone! You'll always be my first love Mayo.
+1. Really stings to not even make it onto the waitlist. I felt like my interview went really well. In fact, one of my interviewers told me so, even saying that they thought I would be a great fit, etc., etc. Not sure that I'll ever understand this process...
rejected
Alternate list.
Not selected as well.
all!
all!Alternate list. Hohboy.
Good luck you all. I'm out.
Does anyone have any idea how large the alternate list is? Since only ~20 come off of it, I wanted a better idea if I should be optimistic about my shot at Mayo.
Does anyone have any idea how large the alternate list is? Since only ~20 come off of it, I wanted a better idea if I should be optimistic about my shot at Mayo.
It's all about "fit" when it comes to Mayo. From what I've heard, alternates are selected based on their ability to "represent" the individual that declined the seat (can range from geographic location to ethnicity, etc. maybe?).
Others can correct me if I'm wrong?
It's all about "fit" when it comes to Mayo. From what I've heard, alternates are selected based on their ability to "represent" the individual that declined the seat (can range from geographic location to ethnicity, etc. maybe?).
Others can correct me if I'm wrong?
I think that is the case. As for the size of the alternate list, I don't think it's too big so definitely have hope if you're on it. There can be a lot of movement, and I am already aware of some students who will probably withdraw from Mayo soon. Best of luck to all of you!
Sent from my seat in microbiology,
Just B. cereus, guys,
Nerday
It's all about "fit" when it comes to Mayo. From what I've heard, alternates are selected based on their ability to "represent" the individual that declined the seat (can range from geographic location to ethnicity, etc. maybe?).
Others can correct me if I'm wrong?
That is what has been said in the past. Exactly how they do that, I have no clue...
IIRC, last year they offered waitlist spots to ~100 students and not all students who were offered spots took them, so odds were around one in five or greater, but this year could be different.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an alternate spot notification a few days ago. What are my chances?
I got an alternate spot notification a few days ago. What are my chances?
Assuming selection from the alternate list is random, which it doesn't appear to be, and that this year is statistically similar to past years, which it may not be, chances of gaining admission from the alternate list are between 21.54-27.21%. These percentages are based on numbers from the most recent e-mail.
Last edited:
Has anyone seen Mayo's 2011 Match list? Also, does anyone have a link to their previous match lists- I couldn't find them anywhere...
Thanks
Thanks
Has anyone seen Mayo's 2011 Match list? Also, does anyone have a link to their previous match lists- I couldn't find them anywhere...
Thanks
It looks like the match list is up here (just scroll down). In addition, there are a few match day related Youtube videos and some commentary on the Sharing Mayo Clinic blog.
This thread has been way too quiet for the past month. I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but jeez!!! One of you lucky accepted people/current students should remind me about how awesome Mayo is cuz I'm starting to forget. Or maybe one of my fellow alternate-listers can entertain me with some banter expressing our waitlist woes...but at least gimme something people🙂!!!!
Where is the best place to send an update letter and what should it include?
Where is the best place to send an update letter and what should it include?
Nothing less than the exquisite and unique way you have carried on with your badassery since your last outreach and the fact that Mayo remains the be-all, end-all path towards your larger-than-life goals. Send to Marcy.
Nothing less than the exquisite and unique way you have carried on with your badassery since your last outreach and the fact that Mayo remains the be-all, end-all path towards your larger-than-life goals. Send to Marcy.
Lol
Hello all 🙂 I am currently on the alternate list at Mayo and just wanted some information as to how this has looked in years past- eg, how WL's are notified of being chosen, how they are chosen (I know some of this but would like some elaboration), when they are chosen (right on May 15th, a few days after, etc) and how long the whole process took last year? I just want to kind of be more prepared to make a decision if/when it happens. Thanks everyone!
Hello all 🙂 I am currently on the alternate list at Mayo and just wanted some information as to how this has looked in years past- eg, how WL's are notified of being chosen, how they are chosen (I know some of this but would like some elaboration), when they are chosen (right on May 15th, a few days after, etc) and how long the whole process took last year? I just want to kind of be more prepared to make a decision if/when it happens. Thanks everyone!
AshleyC, one source of comparison is the 2009-2010 thread; you should be able to answer most of your questions from the last few pages.
I think there will be flurry of activity Monday when the music stops and we all try to find a chair.
If I can't clear the alt list, I daydream of how to 'make my own Mayo':
-treat classes as pass/fail
-seek out the experts at my school as mentors/advisors/instructors
-find a way to get into clinical settings to reinforce the didactic lessons
-collaborate with my class
-do something special along the way. Maybe invent something, or help on some cool research.
Anyway, gl all.
If I can't clear the alt list, I daydream of how to 'make my own Mayo':
-treat classes as pass/fail
-seek out the experts at my school as mentors/advisors/instructors
-find a way to get into clinical settings to reinforce the didactic lessons
-collaborate with my class
-do something special along the way. Maybe invent something, or help on some cool research.
Anyway, gl all.
"Well, spider, you've done some solid work here, but it's not quite Mayo, is it?"
"Looks like its the University of Illinois!"
"Looks like its the University of Illinois!"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the call. Unreal, here's for a week of decision-making!
Congratulations! How exciting!
Just got the call. Unreal, here's for a week of decision-making!
awesome! congrats!
Got the call yesterday. Already withdrew from MSSM...Rochester here i come!!!!
Got the call yesterday. Already withdrew from MSSM...Rochester here i come!!!!
Yep I withdrew from Miami today too. Mayo just couldn't be a better fit for me. Here's to warm jackets!! Anyone on here planning on going to Honduras in July??
- Status
- Not open for further replies.