2010-2011 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they probably only accepted 65 and wait listed everyone else, because they weren't sure if they'd have that large class size. I'm sure theres plenty of people very highly ranked on the wait list now.

Either way, withdrew yesterday, good luck everyone. :)

Actually it's common practice for schools to oversubscribe their incoming classes, as in, accept more than the class size. They expect the required amount or more to withdraw to get down to the actual class size and may even take people off of the waitlist. This actually proved problematic last year for UVA as they were oversubscribed as usual but not as many people as they would expect to withdraw actually withdrew. They ended up asking some students to accept free tuition for the MPH program and enter medical school the following year (which is this year).

In any case, there is usually always a little bit of waitlist movement at most schools, even when they oversubscribe. I believe TCMC had a waitlist movement last year as is common for a new school. This year might be even more with all the DRAMA that's happened.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know if there is a computer lab????

I didn't see a computer lab; the only computers I recall them speaking about were located in the library.

And to give other people some figures, one of the administrators told me that in a single day, 12 people withdrew acceptances. Thus, you can only imagine how many people have withdrawn over the past couple months. Many of the people that have been accepted have already been accepted at other schools and will attend those instead. I feel very confident that there will be a decent waitlist movement - stay optimistic guys!

Lastly, the best thing about going to a new school is that we can directly influence it (all the negative things that we have said about the school in this forum can be changed if we want them to be). If you have the opportunity to be accepted off the waitlist, I would take it. We can help bring TCMC to its potential; they need people like us.

I'm impressed that an administrator actually TALKED to you - I have left numerous messages and never had any call backs! Good luck everyone! Here or somewhere else!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-mailed TCMC a few weeks ago to tell them I was withdrawing. Since then, I've not received my deposit back or received any sort of reply/confirmation from them. Can someone tell me if this is typical lag time? I'm just concerned that if for some weird reason they didn't get my e-mail, then I'm taking up someone else's spot. Here's to hoping that one of you fine folks on the waitlist gets my spot- good luck!

I e-mailed TCMC a few weeks ago to tell them I was withdrawing. Since then, I've not received my deposit back or received any sort of reply/confirmation from them. Can someone tell me if this is typical lag time? I'm just concerned that if for some weird reason they didn't get my e-mail, then I'm taking up someone else's spot. Here's to hoping that one of you fine folks on the waitlist gets my spot- good luck!

I'm not sure but I don't think you do get your deposit back. I think that's the way it is with most schools, anyway. I would call them rather than email.

On behalf of the Board of Trustees of The Commonwealth Medical College, we are pleased to welcome Lois Margaret Nora, MD, JD, MBA as Interim President and Dean effective immediately. She will serve in this position for approximately 14-20 months during which time a national search will be conducted for a permanent president and dean.

Dr. Nora is President Emeritus, Dean of Medicine Emeritus, and Professor of Internal Medicine (Neurology) and Behavioral and Community Health Sciences at the Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED), formerly known as Northeastern Ohio Universities Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy (NEOUCOM). NEOMED is a community-based interprofessional health sciences university that improves the health, economy, and quality of life in northeast Ohio.

Dr. Nora comes to TCMC with an impressive depth of knowledge and experience in community-based medical education consistent with TCMC's mission and values. Her background makes her a perfect fit for this interim position. She is an effective leader and experienced clinician, teacher, and scholar with proven leadership abilities as a President and Dean who has the vision and credentials to move TCMC forward in the next level of academic excellence.

Dr. Nora brings outstanding leadership and academic credentials to TCMC. Prior to serving as President and Dean of NEOMED, formerly NEOUCOM, she served as Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Administration and Professor of Neurology at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. She also served as Assistant Dean and Assistant Professor of Neurology at Rush Medical School in Chicago. Recognized for her work in medical education, Dr. Nora has presented at both national and international conferences and has been published in peer review publications. Throughout her clinical and academic career, she received several national honors including the American Medical Women's Association's President's Recognition Award and has received an honorary doctorate from Youngstown State University.

Dr. Nora holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Illinois and a medical degree from Rush Medical School in Chicago. She earned her law degree at the University of Chicago Law School and completed her MBA at the University of Kentucky Gatton College of Business and Economics. She is board-certified in neurology and electrodiagnostic medicine and is fellowship-trained in electromyography and neuromuscular disease.

For Dr. Nora's full bio, go to www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/lnora

Last edited:
On behalf of the Board of Trustees of The Commonwealth Medical College, we are pleased to welcome Lois Margaret Nora, MD, JD, MBA as Interim President and Dean effective immediately. She will serve in this position for approximately 14-20 months during which time a national search will be conducted for a permanent president and dean.

Wow. She sounds amazing!

TCMC, would you be willing to share information about movement of the wait-list so far?

Wow. She sounds amazing!

TCMC, would you be willing to share information about movement of the wait-list so far?

so far we have not reached into the wait list but anticipate doing so as people decide what they are doing. There will be some movement in the next month or so. Wish I could tell you more specifically when but we are looking at this situation daily.

so far we have not reached into the wait list but anticipate doing so as people decide what they are doing. There will be some movement in the next month or so. Wish I could tell you more specifically when but we are looking at this situation daily.

Thank you so much for the information. Do you think you could tell us about how many people remain on the wait-list and by how many students the class is currently oversubscribed by?

Again, thanks so much for the information, it's really helpful for those of us with the "need to know" complex. =)

Thank you so much for the information. Do you think you could tell us about how many people remain on the wait-list and by how many students the class is currently oversubscribed by?

Again, thanks so much for the information, it's really helpful for those of us with the "need to know" complex. =)

I too am curious.

I have withdrawn from the waitlist here as I got into my state school.

Good luck to everyone. I hope you guys all get in here! :thumbup: The new dean's credentials are definitely impressive.

Last edited:
Yesterday I received my deposit back in the mail after having withdrawn a few weeks ago. I did not ask for it back. This was an incredibly kind and rare gesture, which I highly doubt I will see from other schools I've withdrawn from. Thank you TCMC, and I wish that other schools would operate with that level of integrity, knowing that many of us incoming medical students are low on money.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday I received my deposit back in the mail after having withdrawn a few weeks ago. I did not ask for it back. This was an incredibly kind and rare gesture, which I highly doubt I will see from other schools I've withdrawn from. Thank you TCMC, and I wish that other schools would operate with that level of integrity, knowing that many of us incoming medical students are low on money.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Most school do this if you reply before May 15th....

Most school do this if you reply before May 15th....

Isn't that actually required by AAMC if you withdraw before May 15? If it was after, then go TCMC! Because I think they are supposed to keep it after that date (since that is the point of a deposit). Anyway, it is nice to get $$ back either way!

I will be withdrawing this week since I got into my state school. I did love tcmc so best of luck to u all!

Nope :( My boyfriend (who is also waitlisted) called last week and they said there had been no movement yet, fwiw.

Nope :( My boyfriend (who is also waitlisted) called last week and they said there had been no movement yet, fwiw.

I called last week and was told the same thing. I was also told that the class was not oversubscribed prior to the downsize to 65 (ie. they were never above 65 accepted). I'm no conspiracy theorist, especially because I'd love to come here, but it didn't seem to add up at the time...

I too agree... It's June and not a SINGLE person has been asked to join the class (off thee WL)???. Something is up... What a strange application cycle TCMC had :smack:

I just wondered because according to this board there have been a number of people who accepted other offers. Maybe the people moved into the class are not using this board?

I just wondered because according to this board there have been a number of people who accepted other offers. Maybe the people moved into the class are not using this board?

I have to imagine that word would get out. Also, it seems to me that TCMC has no reason to lie about candidates getting in off of the waitlist.

It's pretty reasonable to wonder just how NOBODY has gotten in off the waitlist, because it seems to happen at just about every other school (even Yale, not that I'd know anyway). However I think it's pretty safe to say that nobody has gotten in from the waitlist yet.

Well TCMC has been placed on probation just now......

Ugh, just got that email from TCMC too. Well at least they are telling everyone what's going on. What scared me the most was the statement saying that they are MUCH better off today (with their probation status), than they were in January of 2011. I suspect the Dean's resignation is intimately involved with January's (financial?) situation.

I guess that just comes with the territory of starting a new medical school. Problems are bound to creep up and what they are doing is NOT easy. Still, I find this all a little weird...

I still do like TCMC, and I hope all this gets worked out soon :)

In the meantime, back to waiting haha.

Wow - would anyone go now IF they were offered a position? If they do not get certified we would lose the time or would it transfer?

What next?

Apparently, the waitlist has moved and TCMC is at 65.

This is what I hear from very reliable sources.

Just withdrew my application from the waitlist. Good luck to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.