2010-2011 University of Arkansas Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know about you guys, I am tired of this whole process. I am just paralyzed; I don't know if I should moved forward or stay put. Just got a second e-mail from Ms Dupuy, she wants us to update our mailing addresses again.

Members don't see this ad.

I've already started making my plans for the future. If I get into UAMS, that's awesome and I'll take that offer, but I still have a lot of planning for the school that I have an acceptance for and I can't just sit here with my thumb where it doesn't belong and wait for my ideal "What might have been".

This means I'm heading to Phoenix tomorrow to see about getting a house or apartment secured. Wish me luck :D

I've already started making my plans for the future. If I get into UAMS, that's awesome and I'll take that offer, but I still have a lot of planning for the school that I have an acceptance for and I can't just sit here with my thumb where it doesn't belong and wait for my ideal "What might have been".

This means I'm heading to Phoenix tomorrow to see about getting a house or apartment secured. Wish me luck :D

Best of Luck. I can't help but wonder if UAMS does actually have waitlisted applicants ranked. Why keep it a secret?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Scrubsfan on your acceptance!

I agree. The waiting is awful. I'm in the same boat of needing to move forward with logistics for the school to which I do have an acceptance. The reality of the situation is that, at this point, one has to consider other options and continue to progress.

There is a ranked waitlist, though. I called yesterday and actually received some great information on how it works.

Everyone is ranked on the same list, essentially. Here's how it works:

The accepted class must not only contain a certain number of IS and OOS students, but must also contain a certain number of IS students from each district in AR.

So, say the person at the top of the wait list is an OOS student....If an accepted student filling an AR district position gives up his/her seat, the next person accepted off of the wait list will not be the #1 OOS student, but the highest ranking student wait listed that meets the AR district criteria.

As another example, say again the person at the top of the wait list is an OOS student.... If an accepted student filling an IS AR position gives up his/her seat, and the max amount of OOS students are filling positions in the class, the next person accepted off of the wait list will not be the #1 OOS student, but the highest ranking student wait listed that is an AR resident and filling any minimum district requirements that may not have been met.

You can imagine other scenarios from here. No matter what, the OOS number can't exceed the max - in the mid 20's usually - and the IS district numbers cannot fall below the state required minimum.

This is why they cannot tell you exactly where you rank on the wait list. There is no way to determine when/if you will be bumped up since it isn't a linear acceptance.

Hope this helps... It was nice to at least understand a bit more of how this works.

MSDelta, thanks for the infor; it certainly makes things clearer.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Not to be insensitive to those on the waitlist and hoping for an acceptance, but I have a question about scholarships. Have you all heard back about scholarships? I received my loan information from UAMS last week and there was nothing in there about a scholarship. Have they already been awarded and this means I didn't receive one? I just didn't know, since I haven't heard anything from them either way.

I might be remembering this wrong, but I don't believe you find out about your scholarships until they actually disburse your financial aid (i.e., loan checks, in most people's cases). For you guys, that'll be 11 days after registration.

Unfortunately, my impression is that they have already awarded scholarships. I received my offer back in February. However, there are likely a few like me who will be turning it down, so maybe they can still award some.

Thanks for the replies. I just thought they would inform you if you didn't receive anything. I may give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Any news on this?

Yep. I called them and they said the scholarship committee has met and offered some scholarships, but she didn't know if they had done them all yet. They also said that as people withdraw throughout the summer, the scholarship money that they were awarded would become available again. Apparently they are still meeting several more times, but the secretary wasn't entirely sure about how the entire process worked.

Accepted off the alternate list this morning. OOS, may or may not attend depending on the other WL's im on. Don't lose hope guys, I just got done my 2012 AMCAS and was accepted into a one year masters, and now this. C'est la vie...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. Linda called me this morning as well. Good luck everyone~

Yep. Linda called me this morning as well. Good luck everyone~

A phone call? I was under the impression they would only notify by mail except, perhaps, towards the end.

Congratulations!!!

Thanks, yeah she called to see if I was still interested in going to Arkansas. Once she confirmed I was, she said that she'd send the packet with all of the information through the mail to me.

They're probably doing it this way to allow for faster confirmations to get through the wait list at a faster pace.

Thanks, yeah she called to see if I was still interested in going to Arkansas. Once she confirmed I was, she said that she'd send the packet with all of the information through the mail to me.

They're probably doing it this way to allow for faster confirmations to get through the wait list at a faster pace.

So arcshot, you planning on attending?

Sorry if theses questions have already been asked...

What is early clinical exposure like?

What is USMLE prep like, do we have time off to prepare?

We didn't get to see the Gross Anatomy lab, what is the setting like, and how many students to a cadaver?

Any problem based learning in a small group environment?

how strong is the social initiative, is it exclusively integrated into ICM course or others?

Yep I'll be attending.

Working on getting a house in Little Rock right now.

What is early clinical exposure like?
At the time, it seemed cool. In retrospect, it's laughable. You'll eclipse the entirety of your exposure from the first two years in your first two days of third year. That said, it's still way better than what most schools offer, and it's integrated nicely into the curriculum. There are also plenty of extracurricular opportunities to get patient exposure, if that's your thing. Personally, i was way too sick of all things medicine to voluntarily spend my free time doing more of it, but to each his own.
What is USMLE prep like, do we have time off to prepare?
You have 8-ish weeks between second and third year plus another 2 weeks at the very end of second year that essentially amount to study time. If you can't prepare for Step 1 properly in that time, you're doing something wrong.

We didn't get to see the Gross Anatomy lab, what is the setting like, and how many students to a cadaver?
It's just a giant open room with a bunch of metal caskets in it. there are 4 people per cadaver, generally.
Any problem based learning in a small group environment?
There is some, and that's not a good thing, regardless of what new-age crap they spout to try to convince you otherwise. Every group learning exercise I had during the first two years waste a painful waste of time, and none of them were worse than the whole-class "PBL" nonsense they force on you during the first 8 weeks. I heartily encourage you to skip every single one of those.
how strong is the social initiative, is it exclusively integrated into ICM course or others?
I'm not sure what you mean by "social initiative," but I assume you mean things like free clinic work, health fairs, and all that? If so, they'll tell you about opportunities, but nothing of the sort is actually integrated into the curriculum in any fashion. You'll get bombarded with emails any time there's some sort of volunteer thing going on, don't you worry. You'll be painfully aware of all the scheduling details of the Harmony Health Clinic shifts before you know it. (Save that one away for August. It'll be funny soon enough. ;))

You have 8-ish weeks between second and third year plus another 2 weeks at the very end of second year that essentially amount to study time. If you can't prepare for Step 1 properly in that time, you're doing something wrong.

Wow, didn't realize that we'd get that much time. Step 1 averages haven't been particularly high though have they?

Indeed they have not. Our class's average was a 216, and we had 19 people fail. Rumor has it that 7 people have yet to pass.

Why do you think that is? Does UAMS not adequately prepare you for the boards, or is there some other reason?

Does ATT work well in Little Rock? I have ATT now but am considering switching to Verizon.

I've had an iPhone with them for a little over two years. Never had any problems in LR, though the data coverage sucks outside of Pulaski County. More importantly, everywhere I've been on campus I've gotten good signal - even in the bowels of the ED.

Why do you think that is? Does UAMS not adequately prepare you for the boards, or is there some other reason?
Apologies in advance to my classmates (and you guys, I suppose) for this one, but the truth hurts sometimes...

It's a combination of poor preparation and the generally below-average quality of student admitted at UAMS - much more the latter than the former. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the average UAMS student is generally not quite as academically amazing as the average Vandy or Harvard or Duke student. Blame it on the congressional district admissions thing, a focus more on people interested in primary care, or just the fact that it's the Arkansas state school, but the numbers don't lie. That said, some of the basic sciences programs here are sometimes a bit lacking. The path program, in particular, is notoriously bad. Pharm has also historically been pretty poor. Obviously, those are two subjects you can't really afford to skimp on. I understand that there have been dramatic changes in the pharm program since I went through it last year, but I don't know what they are specifically or how much they have helped. On the other hand, micro and anatomy are incredible, so it's a mixed bag.

Those of you who are posting here will be just fine for the boards. I think a lot of the problems people have are based on not knowing how to approach a task as daunting as cramming 2 years of medical education into 6 weeks, but that won't be an issue for any of you. Just open the Step 1 forum, and make yourself a plan.

Apologies in advance to my classmates (and you guys, I suppose) for this one, but the truth hurts sometimes...

It's a combination of poor preparation and the generally below-average quality of student admitted at UAMS - much more the latter than the former. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the average UAMS student is generally not quite as academically amazing as the average Vandy or Harvard or Duke student. Blame it on the congressional district admissions thing, a focus more on people interested in primary care, or just the fact that it's the Arkansas state school, but the numbers don't lie. That said, some of the basic sciences programs here are sometimes a bit lacking. The path program, in particular, is notoriously bad. Pharm has also historically been pretty poor. Obviously, those are two subjects you can't really afford to skimp on. I understand that there have been dramatic changes in the pharm program since I went through it last year, but I don't know what they are specifically or how much they have helped. On the other hand, micro and anatomy are incredible, so it's a mixed bag.

Those of you who are posting here will be just fine for the boards. I think a lot of the problems people have are based on not knowing how to approach a task as daunting as cramming 2 years of medical education into 6 weeks, but that won't be an issue for any of you. Just open the Step 1 forum, and make yourself a plan.

I see. That makes sense; thanks for clearing it up. But it seems like there must be a pretty wide range of scores since you all had 19 people fail, yet the overall average was still 216.

I see. That makes sense; thanks for clearing it up. But it seems like there must be a pretty wide range of scores since you all had 19 people fail, yet the overall average was still 216.

There's what 160ish students in a class? With an average of 216 you'd pretty much expect that the bottom 10-15% would have a score less than 188.

Withdrew my acceptance from Arkansas today, hopefully it will go to one of you sdners!

Hey guys, I hate to use SDN for something like this, but I know that a lot of us are coming off of the waitlist and are scrambling to find places to stay quickly.

I'm still looking for a roommate and have a few places that I'm looking at. If you're still homeless for UAMS like me, send me an email ([email protected]) and we can see if something can be worked out.

Hi all... Just joined but have benefitted from your posts over the last few months and thank you for those. Just wanted to say that I was wait listed and just got accepted yesterday. Whew!

Hi all... Just joined but have benefitted from your posts over the last few months and thank you for those. Just wanted to say that I was wait listed and just got accepted yesterday. Whew!

Congrats! Are you an in-state or out-of-state student?

Congratulations everyone! I am new to SDN and am applying to uams this upcoming cycle. This thread answered a lot of questions that I had about the process.

Hey - quick question.

The 'White Coat Ceremony' information suggests that you should only have 8 family members in attendance? How strict is this? I mean, if I have 9 or 10 is it going to be a big deal?

Im from Little Rock and all my siblings live here. So - Mom, dad, wife + 3 siblings and their spouses ... im already going over. Trying to avoid from hurting any feelings.

So I received an unexpected call this week from Mr. South offering me a place in the upcoming class!

I realize this may not be a normal question here, but does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a 1br apartment in a safe area near school?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

@MSDelta

I would check out http://www.arkansasonline.com/ and http://www.hellolittlerock.com/ .
Both sites have real estate sections that include places for rent.

I would also use http://www.apartmentguide.com/neigh...e-Rock/University-of-Arkansas-at-Little-Rock/ .
That one has a setting where you can search by distance from a central location (like UAMS).

The Calais Apartments is in a higher end neighborhood, though it's a bit farther from campus (5 miles). You could check out Riverwalk, but it's a bit expensive. Governors Park is fairly close (a shooting happened there a few weeks ago, but I called LRPD and they said the crime rate isn't high in the area). From what I've read about on the FB page, getting below Markham Street is where things start to get shady, but I haven't noticed it much.

Last edited:
So I received an unexpected call this week from Mr. South offering me a place in the upcoming class!

I realize this may not be a normal question here, but does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a 1br apartment in a safe area near school?

I'd also suggest my house. It's obviously not a 1BR place, but my roommate and I are about as laid back as it gets. It's also cheap at ~530/month. Join the class Facebook group for my number and more info.

ill miss you UAMS. hope my seat goes to someone great out there.:rolleyes:

For the most part, LR is pretty safe. It's got some sketchier places, but there's not a lot of "random" violence.

that said, UAMS is kind of bordering on one of those areas. And the areas around it that are affordable and mixed. It's literally block by block. Stay north of 630, avoid ANYTHING off of Resevoir, or in Briarwood. But places around Stiff Station/Hillcrest/Heights/Cammack are generally OK. there are Apts in the Quapaw Quarter (closer to downtown, but about a 5 min drive), but you have to know where you are. It's a longer trip, but there are lots of apt buildings in Riverdale or off of Napa Valley/green mountain drive out west.

I've lived here off and on for 15 years. If you want to, PM me a couple places you're looking at and I'll tell you about the area.

Thanks for all the responses! I'll check out all those websites you guys mentioned. Knowing the street names to avoid/stay within is also very helpful as I do not know where specific neighborhoods are located.

What do you guys know about apartments near the river?

Milkman, thanks for the offer, but I think I'm still going to look into a 1br apt as I have a whole house of furniture to deal with!

Knowing the street names to avoid/stay within is also very helpful as I do not know where specific neighborhoods are located.
As a general rule, anything with "south" before the name of the street is going to be a bad idea. Also, Reservoir is not the best place to be, as noted. The apartments near the river are supposedly awesome, though I've never actually been in one. Other than that, second what nowonder said.

Hey I have been following this thread since I started my AMCAS application in 2010. I have finally decided to join. Just wanted to say hello to my classmates and I can't wait to start Aug 8th. :)

Wow, finally!!!. I got a phone call from Tom South, he proposed and I accepted!

Status
Not open for further replies.