2010-2011 University of Arkansas Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, thats kind of my thoughts as well. I know that: 1. the district numbers have first priority; 2. rural practice has second priority; and 3. the rest is based on relative competitiveness.

Members don't see this ad.

Linda just sent out a email saying that since the 15th falls on a Sunday, they are giving until the 16th to decline spots. FYI.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get that email...? I think ignorance may have been bliss on that one! lol

honestly, since it happened to be a sunday anyways... I dont think that it will have any real world effect on the movement

I asked Ms. Linda about that last month sometime, and she told me that snail mail is how we find out. They won't send an email unless it's one of those situations where one is accepted just prior to beginning of classes.

Linda just sent out a email saying that since the 15th falls on a Sunday, they are giving until the 16th to decline spots. FYI.

Is this some sort of override of the AAMC Traffic Rules for Admission? tsk tsk.

Hey - I received an acceptance as an alternate; but I'm still waiting on an email for the cbc. For what ever reason, I thought I would receive the initial request immediately. Any word on how that is handled?

I got the request for CBC for my IS school about a week after my acceptance. It was an email from AMCAS if I remember correctly. You should get that any day now I would think.

Anyone know when/where next year's book list will be available? If I knew which books were needed, I'd try to start buying them cheap off of upperclassmen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Al! Very helpful and a quick response, as always. Do you remember which of those textbooks were "required" (in terms of having required reading)? Or do we get a list of required and recommended texts at orientation/in the mail/email/etc?

Also, for those classes you didn't use a textbook at all in, did you just use the recorded lectures and notes to study, or was Wikipedia your friend?

Do you remember which of those textbooks were "required" (in terms of having required reading)? Or do we get a list of required and recommended texts at orientation/in the mail/email/etc?
You'll get a list of the required texts in the mail. Devlin and The Cell are the required texts for biochem and cell bio, respectively. Don't waste your money. There's a reason there are so many "like-new condition" copies of them around.

Also, for those classes you didn't use a textbook at all in, did you just use the recorded lectures and notes to study, or was Wikipedia your friend?
Each lecture has a corresponding powerpoint slide show that's posted online, so I used those. It's not so much class that I find painfully inefficient; it's lectures. Consequently, I never watched a recorded lecture. Wikipedia didn't really come into play for me until this year.

You'll get a list of the required texts in the mail. Devlin and The Cell are the required texts for biochem and cell bio, respectively. Don't waste your money. There's a reason there are so many "like-new condition" copies of them around.
No joke. I literally never opened "The Cell" after buying it new from the bookstore at the last minute (do not do that), and Devlin was of minimal use at best. Total waste of money.

Should be some people getting letters soon... :eek:

Misconstrued a UAMS letter today as my acceptance letter from the waitlist. Turns out it was the Financial Aid Award Letter :(

Any good news from anyone else?

The same happened to me!

I'd imagine they go ahead and process financial aid for both accepted and alternate list students. Federal aid is awarded on a first come, first served basis. If alternate students were to wait to process aid until an acceptance was actually given, say late May/ June/ July, there would likely be limited, if any, funds still available for that student. This way, each of us has funding on reserve, so to speak.

This is just my guess, though.

Maybe I should give her a call in the morning >>

I haven't received any other indication that I'm not on the WL though.

I received the same letter a few weeks ago. It does not mean we've been accepted off the waitlist (I wish!), just that they completed our fafsa info we submitted and have provided their scholarship options.

There's no reason to call, but if you do, see if we can find out where we rank on the WL (will they tell us like top 3rd, bottom 3rd, etc..)

I received the same letter a few weeks ago. It does not mean we've been accepted off the waitlist (I wish!), just that they completed our fafsa info we submitted and have provided their scholarship options.

There's no reason to call, but if you do, see if we can find out where we rank on the WL (will they tell us like top 3rd, bottom 3rd, etc..)[/QUOTE]

Not a chance :(

Misconstrued a UAMS letter today as my acceptance letter from the waitlist. Turns out it was the Financial Aid Award Letter :(

Any good news from anyone else?

The same happened to me!

I'd imagine they go ahead and process financial aid for both accepted and alternate list students. Federal aid is awarded on a first come, first served basis. If alternate students were to wait to process aid until an acceptance was actually given, say late May/ June/ July, there would likely be limited, if any, funds still available for that student. This way, each of us has funding on reserve, so to speak.

This is just my guess, though.

How long did it take you all to get your financial aid info back from UAMS? I submitted my stuff 2 months ago and still haven't heard anything.

I filled out my FAFSA in late January and just got the award notification yesterday. It can take a while, and, given that you just did yours in March, you may still have a little while to wait. You can call the Fin Aid office and ask if your file is complete, though.

Any clues as to when to expect the first wave of WL acceptance letters?

I sure hope so! I'm going overseas this saturday for two weeks. I'd love to hear some good news before then... :) :xf:

I hope so too! Be sure to let us know if you get accepted. I need to decide if I want to take summer classes, so if I dont here of anything after this week Im going to go ahead and bite the bullet.

Good luck you guys!

OOS Waitlist, got my acceptance packet yesterday in the mail! I'll definitely be attending this fall. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Congrats scrubsfan

If you have another acceptance though, don't rule it out so quickly ;) lol

Congrats!! Would you mind listing your stats?

Hope to see you this Fall! :xf:

33 MCAT, and mediocre-for-med-school GPA (3.5ish cGPA, a bit lower sGPA). Took a few years off, have lots of research experience, a first author publication, and a few years of work experience.

Good job once again scrubfan :) In the letter what was the time frame you had to decide whether to accept or decline the offer? I'm just trying to get a gauge on how long it might take for them to work their way down the list a bit...

Also, I have to say its nice the waitlist is moving, but its driving me insane not knowing where I stand at all!

NDundergrad, I know exactly how you feel--I was in your shoes less than 24 hours ago.

The letter says I have two weeks to respond. It was dated May 13, but I didn't receive it until May 17. So I guess that means they would give away my spot two weeks from May 13th if they hadn't heard from me (though I imagine most people, whether accepting or rejecting a waitlist position, will respond much more quickly than that).

I hope this is helpful for you! I can't believe that this process has taken me almost a year from primary application to acceptance, but I'm so glad it's finally over. Best of luck to you!

Thanks scrubsfan. If they give two weeks it might string this out into June then before movement stops.. I guess there's still hope! :xf:

Congrats scrubfan ~

I think its two weeks "from the time your receive the letter"

Can we re-apply yet if we are still on the wait-list? -OR- Do we have to wait until August until we can do so?

Can we re-apply yet if we are still on the wait-list? -OR- Do we have to wait until August until we can do so?

You can reapply as soon as it opens, but what Dr South told me the year I was waitlisted was to wait and not potentially waste your money.

If you're thinking you may have to reapply, I'd submit your app to 1 school so your AMCAS gets certified or whatever. That way, you'll be able to apply to whatever schools you need to instantly instead of having to wait for everyone else's junk to get processed. In fact, you might make that school UAMS just to prove you're big on getting in.

Do you know if there is any sort of deferment for the current WL students to defer their standing for an acceptance next year? (I know, wishful thinking)

I called in today and they said that most of the waitlist movement has already occured.

Do you know if there is any sort of deferment for the current WL students to defer their standing for an acceptance next year? (I know, wishful thinking)

It seems like I remember seeing something on the acceptance acknowledgement form that said waitlisted students could not defer, I could be wrong though.

Bummer. That's too bad. I wonder how many of those wait-listed have been accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.